Q&A

Express it Simply
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

A/N: ^_^ I just want them to talk and talk, sorry about that.

 

 

Recap Chapter 12: The awkwardness between Dara and Xiumin gradually diminished. However, she couldn’t control herself from staring while he slept; and he caught her. Even so, they watched the sunrise in silence, finally feeling comfortable in each other’s presence.

 

 

They arrive at the fish port safely. The sun’s rays do not hurt at all and thankfully, the weather is not too hot. Before Ahjussi left, the two idols thank him with so much sincerity and tells him to kindly let Ahjumma know again how thankful they are for the hospitality. He replies by saying they are always welcome to visit to which the two can simply smile in response, not knowing how to answer the unexpected invitation.

 

He turns to leave after the two’s hope for him to have a safe trip back. When the boat starts to back out from the port, they wave at the kind man.

 

Dara turns to Xiumin, “where are you going?” He’s wearing his sunglasses and hoodie over his cap. If anyone scrutinizes, they may realize he’s EXO’s oldest. They better leave now before people starts to flood the port and nearby market.

 

He bites his lower lip upon realization that he’s bound for Seoul but how can he… when his pockets are almost empty.

 

“Uhm... I’m supposed to take the KTX express train to Seoul but then---since I didn’t make it to the schedule, I’ll have to buy another ticket, but— I--- uh…” He puts his hands on his pockets in uneasiness and embarrassment.

 

“Why? What’s the problem?” She’s too lazy to make a wild guess what the problem is.

 

They stand there at the port, unmindful of a few people passing by. They are fully covered anyway. Dara ensures nobody will see her face. She tied her hair earlier in a tight ponytail. She needs to cover almost half her face just like yesterday to avoid being recognized. Better safe than sorry.

 

“Dara noona… will it be okay if I borrow some cash? I’m sorry to impose on you like this, but my money’s not enough.” He hopes the ground will open up and swallow him whole.

 

“Aigo, this kid. What will happen to you if you’re all alone?” She says in concern. “Alright, I’ll lend you cash. But I need an ATM because my cash isn’t enough. I guess I’ll have to go with you.” She adjusts her hoodie, pulling it as low as it can possibly be and walks ahead. She looks like a ninja now but she does not care.

 

“Really?” that’s supposed to be for her last statement. He’s too focused on the idea of her coming along that he does not notice her calling him ‘kid' at all. He catches up to her easily since her strides are not that big. He wonders why she’s going with him to Busan station. Maybe there is an ATM nearby; he does not want to burden her more than he’s already done since last night.

 

“I have to buy a ticket to Seoul anyway. And besides I have to make sure you board the train safely.”

 

He struggles to hide his delight in her decision to go with him. He can spend more time with her… is what‘s occupying his mind at the moment.

 

They walk side-by-side, watchful of the few people they come across. It’s only quarter past six and the bus travel time to Busan station is more or less thirty minutes. Well, that’s a lot of time.

 

 

When they arrive at the bus station, it is fortunate that there are only a few passengers. Even so, they choose to sit at the back because it’s more convenient. They can observe (with sunglasses on) their surroundings easily.

 

They cautiously talk about the possible write-ups that’ll surface---mostly about him being spotted last night. Hopefully, not one photo of him talking to her was taken by any fan, because if that ends up going viral in the internet, it may cause a stir in his already complicated life.

 

Just in case, she asks, “what are you going to say about it?”

 

He ponders for a while before answering: that he met a very kind fan, and he felt it’s his responsibility to save her from getting unreasonable dislike from the others.

 

She remarks that it’s a good enough reason. She’s just hoping no one really recognized her. To be sure, she takes out her phone and begins typing ‘Xiumin’ and Haeundae beach in the search engine, waiting for any results related to last night. But nothing comes up to both of their relief.

 

She would like to know if he plans on telling anyone about their escapade last night---because she will definitely tell Bom about it, maybe not every detail. Though it’s not any of her business (after all they did nothing wrong), her curiosity pushes her to ask.

 

And his answer confuses her. He’s not sure if he’s going to tell anyone.

 

Okay, so he’s undecided, she can understand that. For whatever reason is the hesitation coming from, she dare not probe anymore. She looks out the scenery, feeling a little relaxed by the beautiful view of the beach.

 

 

Xiumin looks at the scenery too, hoping she’ll talk more because he wants to hear her voice.

 

He clears his throat; the sound makes her turn to him questioningly. It’s still a long way to the train station and to pass the time, he suggests they do something.

 

“Aigo, this kid. What kind of game do you want to play?”

 

He cringes upon hearing how she calls him ‘kid’ again. He remembers that started when he admitted that he didn’t bring his phone with him. He associates that to her way of scolding. He must get used to it; she seems to have developed a liking to calling him that, even though she’s not really scolding him now.

 

He tells her that they ask one another five questions each, alternately. Rules: 1. as much as possible no follow-ups to the question once it is answered; 2. can be answerable by yes or no, but there must be an explanation why; 3. and they can’t ask the same question.

 

“This will be interesting,” he promises her.

 

“Fine, I guess we can do that,” she turns to face him.

 

“We both must answer truthfully as much as possible.” It is a brilliant idea. Since he wants to get to know her, he’ll have to try anything.

 

They are way past the awkward stage so she indulges him. This may be one of those things Bom referred to as ‘getting out of her comfort zone.’ Maybe some Q&A with Xiumin won’t hurt, after all, he seems trustworthy and he’ll not ask weird or tactless questions---hopefully.

 

Let the fun begin.  She pulls down the zipper a little; it is a relief to have exposed.  “Okay. Who’ll ask first?”

 

He says rock-paper-scissors will determine who’ll ask first.

 

“Why didn’t I think of that…?” she says, noting how childish they must seem to onlookers. They look like youngsters who are simply fooling around. Luckily nobody pays them much attention.

 

Truthfully though no matter how silly, they are both having fun even if it’s just a game of rock-paper-scissors. In the fourth try, Xiumin’s scissors wins against Dara’s paper.

 

She pouts and crosses her arms over her chest while waiting for the first question. What will it be?

 

Xiumin pretends to ponder but the truth is he already had one prepared.

 

“If you are given a day to freely roam without covering-up and undisturbed, where will you go?”

 

She adjusts her sunglasses while thinking of an answer. It’s an easy question but why she finds it difficult to answer is beyond her.

 

Several seconds passed. “Aish. There’s a long list of places I want to go to… but as of the moment, I want to go to Haeundae beach---jog while waiting for the sunrise, then walk around bask in the sunlight, and in the afternoon, take a leisure walk and then watch the sunset and then stargaze,” she finishes, but at the back of her mind is a different answer. Her ultimate answer to that question IF only she has a special someone---she wants to take a walk along the beach with HIM, actually it does not matter what they do, as long as she can be with him in peace. Xiumin does not need to know that she’s a hopeless romantic or just maybe simply hopeless.

 

“Alone?” he asks quizzically.

 

Does he read minds now, she wonders. “Is that your second question?” her right eyebrow raises behind the sunglasses. She thinks of the rules; there should be no follow-ups.

 

“Please don’t mind that.” He chuckles and scratches his chin briefly forgetting about the rules he himself came up with.

 

“My turn then… How do you spend your Sundays?”

 

“Mostly I go out with Luhan. We go to a café or we go shopping. Sometimes we go biking along Han River.”

 

“Ah---you really love coffee and shopping. I like shopping too.” She recalls the last time she did---she’s going through a hard time with her mother’s nagging. She wants to go biking too, because it’s been so long since she last gone. She looks at him expectantly for the next question.

 

“Aah… What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever done when you’re drunk?”

 

“Omo! That’s an interesting question.” She rubs her chin, in contemplation. “Let me see… I think it will be that time during the DYLM MV making, I mean after the filming. It was before sunrise, the girls and I had some shots of soju for fun. After three to four bottles, I end up running along the beach, CL, Bom and Minzy were chasing after me,” she laughs quietly and he does the same only more quietly and timidly. She tells him he can laugh if he finds it funny, after all it’s already in the past.

 

“Something like that happened to my friend as well…” he shares to make her realize at least that she’s not alone.

 

“You’re just telling me that to make me feel less embarrassed. But don’t worry, I got over it.” She smiles, the kind that is beautifully warm and so his heart flutters again. “If the same thing happened to your friend, then maybe it’s not too weird at all, right?” She says in jest, as if she’s trying to convince herself despite the fact that she said she got over it already.

 

“Maybe.”

 

The memory of CL’s account of the incident flashes through her mind. It’s a good thing it wasn’t recorded. That was an embarrassing episode in her life. She looks at him wondering if he ever got drunk and if there’s a weird thing he’s done. Too bad she can’t ask the same question; it would have been fun and interesting to know what it is. But then again, maybe he won’t notice if she’ll rephrase it. It’s worth the try.

 

“If a girl asked you out, would you accept?" She’s just curious as to whether that will possibly be the one he’s waiting for, the solution---a girl to ask him out so he can start dating. She sees how he freezes upon hearing the question. He remains unmoving for several seconds so she touches the tip of his nose (she wants to pinch it actually but that’ll be too much), to get his attention. Even her actions surprise her, but what’s done is done.

 

“Well?” she urges.

 

“Yes, I guess--- only if I’m interested in her as well. But as much as possible I won’t let it end up like that. It’s still better if I’m the first one to ask…” he trails off sounding a little uncertain, “…ask her out.” He coughs to get rid of his nervousness.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter