Damage

Express it Simply
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Recap Chapter 7: Dara noticed that Min Ho was more interested in boy groups, EXO in particular. She was shocked to see Chen and Xiumin. She told her mother that she suspected Min Ho is gay based on how he stared at Xiumin and Chen. The next day, EXO read the news of Dara’s dating activity. Even though Chen promised to keep it a secret, he told the other EXO members that they saw Dara on a set-up date.

 

 

When the news article accompanied by a photo went viral, Bom is the first to call---Dara wakes up to the ringtone ‘Gotta be you.’ She’s still a little disoriented when Bom demands her to spill the juicy bits of last night, before she can even say 'Hello.' 

 

Although she forgot to mention to Bom about the date, her friend seems more interested to know what happened.

 

Still lying in bed, Dara takes a deep breath and summarizes the important parts, not forgetting to mention her hunch about Min Ho being gay and then getting to meet the EXO-M members---who happen to have witnessed her ‘not so successful dating activity.’
 

Dara hears Bom squeal at the mention of EXO. "Oh my God! Have you interacted with those young men? Are they tough?”
 

“Aish… they have nothing to do with the fortune teller’s reading.” Dara interjects, pulling her hair lightly to rid herself of drowsiness, before Bom can have any weird ideas.

 

“Aigo. You’re evading the question,” Bom whines. Dara can just imagine her pouting.

 

“But they’re really handsome,” she can’t help but admit to Bom, who squeals again in giddiness and fangirling way; Dara moves the phone away from her ear to avoid breaking her eardrum. Bom is no doubt fangirling over Chen---she absolutely loves and admires his voice.

 

After their not so quick chit chat, Dara takes a speedy bath. It takes her more or less than fifteen minutes before she’s on her way downstairs, in an oversized t-shirt and denim shorts. She needs to inform her mother about how maybe her date last night now earns a lot of comments and raised eyebrows (the least violent reaction one can expect from haters, that is). She doesn’t want to know what the negative comments are, absolutely not interested. But she’ll have to check out the article and see what’s been written. She hopes it’s something not exaggerated.

 

 

Xiumins wakes up, remembering how Luhan has been acting.

 

To his puzzlement, his friend doesn't seem to be interested to know how he handled the situation at the cafe. Maybe his inquisitive friend has finally given up on the quest but once in a while, he catches the doe-eyed looking. They’re still talking a lot but 2NE1 is never mentioned at all.
 

Which Xiumin finds weird. What is Luhan planning? Is he perhaps using reverse psychology? He hopes that’s not the case.
 

A few days later (it’s been a week since the XiuHan rumor came out) in the early morning, their manager called them to his improvised office (located at their dorm). It seems he needs to show to the parties involved the statement that’ll be put up in the SMEnt site. Xiumin and Luhan read it at the same time, silently. A few seconds later, they agree to its contents, while Xiumin hands back the paper.
 

“If after this statement the netizens and haters still continue to bash and give very offensive comments, we’ll have to carry out Plan B.”
 

Xiumin and Luhan’s brows crease. They have no idea what the Plan B is.
 

Noticing the silent question in their eyes, the Manager vaguely says “I’ll let you know about that once it’s finalized. I still need to talk it over with our CEO. That will be all.”

 

 

At Bom’s condominium (that overlooks the Han River) the girls are comfortably settled at the balcony for an early gossip. They don’t really gossip about other people but themselves.

 

Topics to discuss:

1. Bom’s relationship with Dong Wook-ssi;

 

Dara finally gets to see CL and Minzy’s reactions. They already know about it beforehand but to be able to see them remark on it is something Dara looks forward to.

 

2. Dara’s first dating activity ever (in a hundred years) and the unexpected quick interaction with EXO’s Chen and Xiumin;

 

CL comments that it’s about time her Eomonie starts dating so that she and Minzy can do so subsequently.

 

At this, Dara and Bom’s reactions are that of obvious over-protectiveness. The leader laughs after seeing the response. She then says she’s only joking and admits that they are not yet ready to date. The two oldest members sighed in relief.

 

Minzy asks, “Unni, how is it talking with Chen-ssi and Xiumin-ssi? Are they really good-looking?” There’s a teasing glint in her eyes.

 

Aigo, this kid. Dara suspects Bom has already told them about their fangirling over EXO.

 

Bom pretends to be busy drinking her tea, not sparing Dara a glance.

 

If only she’s not the last one to arrive, Dara mulls over.

 

“Yes. Both are equally handsome,” she admits but keeps the other observation to herself---which is how she thinks Xiumin’s smile is charming, and his single-eyelid eyes pretty.

 

“Is Xiumin-ssi’s eyes beautiful?” CL finally joins in the conversation. At the mention of ‘eyes’ Dara who is about to drink from her tea almost loses her grip on the cup. She quickly pretends that the tea is still a bit hot to cover up the near mishap.

 

She pretends to ponder for a few seconds, noting that Minzy is expecting her answer with obvious eagerness. Are they perhaps interested in Xiumin? Come to think of it, a few years back, Minzy’s ideal type is a guy with single eyelids. There’s a match---only one way to find out.

 

“His eyes are pretty--- prettier than mine,” Dara reveals while pouting as if it’s unfair. “Why? Who between you two is interested in Xiumin-ssi?” she inquires.

 

“Mwo?!” CL reacts, clearly showing she’s not interested.

 

Meanwhile, Minzy finally acknowledges, “He used to be my ideal type.”

 

“Mwo?!” It’s now Dara and Bom’s turn to be surprised. “Why didn’t we know about this?” they demand at the same time.

 

“Aish. You both will probably tease me so I kept it a secret until finally my interest faded.” She really talks mature for her age.

 

“You’re probably right,” Bom confesses, which made all of them giggle.

 

3. CL attending fashion events;

 

While taking a bite of Gyeongju bread (brought by Minzy), Dara listens as CL talks about the latest fashion show she went to.

 

Dara really admires their leader---she’s a real fashionista. She’s become a fashion icon too. Her self-confidence is really cool.

 

Bom chooses Hotteok (brought by CL) over Gyeongju and once in a while, she playfully teases Dara to take a bite. She simply sticks out her tongue at Bom’s antics. She’ll eat one but later, she says.

 

4. And Minzy finally got her driver’s license.

 

The three congratulates their youngest member. She also reveals that her next goal is to take piano lessons.

 

“Aigo, our maknae really wants to make the most out of the break,” Bom remarks. “We all should, right?” That earns a concurrent “Ne!” from the three members and then they laugh.

 

Busily munching on the pastries and drinking coffee (for CL and Minzy) and hot green tea (for Dara and Bom), the girls enjoy each other’s company, even in silence.

 

And Dara takes the chance to bring up what she’s been thinking about ever since her talk with Cheoundoong regarding their grandmother’s request.

 

“Are all of you free the week after next?” Dara asks, hopeful that they’d say yes. But judging from how her three friends look at each other, she can tell they already have plans.

 

“I’m sorry Eomonie.” CL says with a regretful smile.

 

“Unni, me too. I’ve got something already planned.”

 

“Mianhae Dara-ya. I am going to meet Dong Wook’s family next week.”

 

“Aigo, that’s okay, I understand we all need the vacation. I just wish I could take you guys with me to Busan, to my grandmother’s house.”

 

She sighs sadly. And then realizes what Bom said a while ago, almost missing it, “Jeongmal?”

 

“Yes. We decided on that just last night. And I’m kind of feeling nervous.” Bom shivers. The nervousness is real.

 

“Aish, nonsense, you shouldn’t be.” Dara tries to soothe her.

 

Bom mumbles, “That’s what Dong Wook said too.”

 

The youngest two tries to ease Bom’s nervousness. They say they are sure Bom will have a good time and she will definitely enjoy the visit to Dong Wook-ssi’s hometown.

 

While they finish the food (only a few pastries left), Dara’s phone rings.

 

CL reacts when MTBD plays; she’s wondering whom the caller Dara associates with mental breakdown. Bom and Minzy are curious as well.

 

“Excuse me; I’ll have to take this call. It’s Min Ho-ssi.” Dara quickly stands and goes inside, to Bom’s mini kitchen.

 

“Aaahhh...” the three says in unison, when their curiosity is answered.

 

 

This is it; Dara will finally get an answer after days of

Please log in to read the full chapter