Chapter 01

Stalker

01

      Minwoo was concerned on his all way back to his building. It was a long walk through the night, but he could blame only himself. He was the one who had refused the taxi after all; but at the time it felt like a good opportunity to clear his mind and relax.

He was rather exhausted now though, and he could only wish he had accepted Eric's offer of a taxi earlier.

However, his mind was filled with other more worrying matters to care for real about his aching legs. There was these letters he had received a couple months ago. At first he had ignored it, thinking it was just antis like he was used to; but then the letters kept coming and he had to talk about it with Hyesung.

His friend seemed rather concerned about him, but then the letters stopped and so Minwoo thought he had worried over nothing. Hyesung too was glad to hear it was over, and then they both forgot about it.

Until the letters started coming again.

Minwoo was not sure how to react to it. He did not want to take it seriously, even if the handwriting was the same as before and the threats worrying. He did not want to stress over it, thinking it would stop like the previous time.

However, it did not.

The letters just kept coming, stating the always same threatening words of hatred. Minwoo could not deny he was scared after some letters. A couple of them sounded so dangerous that he had even thought about going to the police.

It sounded ridiculous to do so though, so he just put all the letters away and tried to forget about them; refusing to open them after a while.

They stopped coming after a couple weeks, and Minwoo thought whoever was sending him all this hatred was now tired of it. Maybe because he had stopped reading them, or because he was showing no reaction to it. He did not know but was relieved it was over.

It did not last though.

After a peaceful month, a letter arrived once again. It was nothing like the first ones, and Minwoo feared for the first time the person threatening him.

He was not a coward, nor easily scared, but the threat of coming to his place and hurt him if he was not reading the letters anymore was enough to send shivers up his spine. Besides, the person knew his address and he could only believe such threat.

Hence he talked about it with Hyesung, again.

His friend wanted him to go to the police, but he refused. He did not want to take all this so seriously, and just needed the reassurance of the main singer's words. He needed to hear he should not worry so much and he had nothing to fear; because nothing would happen.

Hyesung managed to drag him to the police station though, and so Minwoo did not have other choice than fill a report against an unknown person sending him threatening messages. He had felt stupid the all time he was facing the policeman, and even had bowed his head as apologize before leaving.

Hyesung was thinking otherwise though, and was strongly believing they had just done what they should; because such letters could not be ignored forever.

Minwoo was not sure if he agreed with his friend at the time, but now he did more and more.

But back there he was just thinking it was so stupid to bother the police with such little issue and decided to forget about all this; telling Hyesung the letters had stopped when it was not true. Only because he did not want to go back to the police station once again.

Hyesung had promised him they would go again if the letters were not stopping; and not wanting to do so Minwoo just lied to his friend. He was not proud of himself, but it was the best for everyone. Hyesung had to focus on their comeback, they all had to. Therefore, he put aside this problem of his.

      Now, months later, the letters had became rare, but the person threatening him was now sending him messages on his phone. Minwoo had changed his number a couple of times already, but the messages were always coming back at some point.

At first frightening, it had quickly became mostly annoying to have these messages and prank calls. How many times his phone had rang in the middle of the night and awoke him when he seriously needed to sleep ? He could not count anymore, and switching his phone off had only brought more worrisome consequences.

The dead rat in his mailbox had scared the life out of him, and since then he had made it his duty to let his phone on, even at night. It was bothering and annoying, but it was better than dead animals in his mailbox with threatening letters pinned on them and written in blood.

It was not like he was minding the calls anyway. He was just letting his phone on mute mode and deleting the voicemails in the morning. At first he had listened to every single one of them, but now he was just deleting them without even listening to them.

He was becoming tired of such bull and could not wait for this to stop bother him. He knew somewhere inside him he should not let the situation continue and should talk to his friends; or at least the police.

But he did not have the time yet.

He was so busy that it was barely if he could take his breakfast before going to work; and it was even harder to eat lunch. Most of the time the Shinhwa members were just eating ordered food between two steps or notes. It was nothing unusual and not a real bother. It was part of the process of preparing their comeback and Minwoo even loved these moments.

There was nothing better than work on music for him, so he was the happiest in a recording room or a dance studio; even if tired.

The phone calls were coming even at days lately, and he was not sure if he was supposed to sigh or get ride of his phone forever. He needed it though, and filtering his calls had never been that strenuous. He had even missed important calls because he could not recognize the number or it was unknown.

This person was really becoming annoying, and even if he was not sure how; Minwoo knew he would have to take care of it sooner or later. It could not last forever and this needed to be stopped.

Minwoo promised himself once he would have some time he would think seriously about this issue and deal with it. But for the time being he just kept ignoring the calls and letters to focus on his work.

There was too much to do to be distracted by an annoying mother er.

      Entering his building and waiting for the elevator passed in a snap of a finger, and soon he was walking to his door with half opened eyes and alcohol running through his veins.

He stumbled to his door and found a box. His stomach churned at the sight, but he quickly reasoned himself and pushed aside whatever worrying thoughts he could have. He did not want to become paranoid, so he just picked the box, unlocked the door and entered inside his apartment.

Turning the light on, he put the security chain on the door; which he was rarely doing before, got ride of his shoes and headed towards the living room.

Discarding his jacket on the couch, he put the box on the dining table and walked into the kitchen. He picked a bottle in the fridge then gulped it down, which relieved the burning in his throat. Once done, he glanced at the box in the living room and tried to avoid opening it; but his curiosity was too strong.

He cut the duct tape with a kitchen knife and put it aside before opening the package.

Minwoo almost threw up right here at the sight greeting him. He was not one to be weak in front of blood or gory stuffs; heck, he even loved watching horror movies with Andy. But there was no way he could laugh in front of a gutted poor kitten on which a paper was pinned.

He already knew who had sent this to him, and he felt sick and hurt to see this poor white dead, slaughtered kitten in the box. It was inhuman to do such thing and he could not believe how crazy his stalker was.

He had met stalkers by the past, had dealt with them and forgot about them; but none of them had never done such crazy and disgusting stuffs before. It was worthy of a psychopath, and Minwoo felt real fear soar inside him for the first time since this madness had started.

Who could be cruel enough to gut a poor little animal like this ? Who could be crazy enough to slice its throat so much that its head was barely holding to the rest of the body ? Who was this ing insane bastard stalking him like this ?

He did not know, but he was so sick of it suddenly.

Minwoo barely had time to reach the kitchen where he threw up in the sink and emptied his stomach from the absorbed alcohol and food; which felt horrible and good at the same time. He could feel himself sobering and the nausea decrease; but the vomit burnt his esophagus and the spasms of his stomach hurt too freaking much.

He did not move for a moment after that, and just leaned against the sink on shaky legs with a twisting stomach. He was still feeling sick, but it was subsiding slowly and leaving behind only a great fear and deep disgust.

Watching the box on the table from his spot in the kitchen, he could only hate it and fear it at the same time, this need to throw it away pretty strong, as the one to kill the doing this to him and read this letter on the poor kitten to know what this bastard wanted this time.

Minwoo needed another long moment before managing to step out of the kitchen and back to the box. A strong smell assaulted his nostrils and almost made him puke again. He could barely look at the slaughter inside the package, and his hands were shaking when he reached for the paper and tried to get it.

Releasing the breath he was holding when the paper went loose in his hand, he stepped away from the box immediately and looked down at the bloody letter in his trembling hands. He did not want to open it, but he knew it would be a dear mistake to do so. Therefore, he opened the paper folded in two and started reading.

Swallowing the monstrous lump in his throat hurt like a , and the words in front of his eyes only frightened and angered him more than he already was. He could not believe this bastard wanted him to answer to his every calls from now on at the risk of having a really unpleasant meeting with his stalker.

Minwoo was not naïve nor impressionable; but he could only believe his stalker would not hesitate to hurt him. Just like he had hurt this poor kitten and the rat previously. He did not need more demonstration to actually know how crazy this person was.

Swallowing again, his trembling hand dropped the letter when he was done reading it, his knees giving under him soon after and letting him slide down the couch back until the floor.

He was feeling so lost and scared, with absolutely no idea of what to do anymore. He wanted to go to the police, but the letter was saying if he was doing this again he would pay. Knowing his stalker knew he had filled a report adding to his already growing fear.

What was he supposed to do when he was watched like this ? There was no way he could walk inside a police station without fearing some consequences. He knew this person would know if he was going to the police, and the last thing he wanted was a meeting with whoever was messing with him.

"Ok" He breathed to himself then passed a shaky hand over his face in an attempt to got back under control his emotions. "It's ok…"

It was not easy, and dropping his arm on his knees he felt his hand tremble too much for his liking. It annoyed him to be so weak at the right moment, so squeezed his eyes shut and grabbed his hand he crutched until it hurts. He could not bear losing it so easily in front of a dead kitten. He was not a

His home phone ringing startled him so much that he gasped in fear and felt his heart jump in his throat.

He felt disoriented and confused for a second, then worried and frightened about this ringing phone he did not want to answer. He had this dead kitten's image in his head though, reminding him he had to answer; but he could not move. He felt petrified in place, his numbed limbs so heavy suddenly.

Listening and staring in the phone's direction, it felt like the moment lasted for an eternity before the sound eventually died down.

He did not move for another long second, until releasing the breath he was holding; his muscles relaxing at the same time and his heartbeat resuming a normal pace.

But then the phone rang again, and this time he stiffened so much that it hurts.

Blinking, he was able to snap out of it and pushed himself up on numbed legs. He did not know who it was, did not want to admit who it was; but he knew for sure if he was answering everything would become so much more real.

He had spent months ignoring the situation, continuing his daily life as if nothing was wrong. But he could not deny it anymore when there was a butchered kitten in a box on his dining table.

"Hello ?" He croaked out, his throat tightening and hurting him in his attempt to speak normally.

There was no answer; a regular, loud breath the only thing he heard for some frightening seconds. He wondered at some point if he was supposed to laugh, because this scene was pretty similar to one of a horror movie he had enjoyed watch with Andy.

He could not believe he was actually listening to some breathe in the phone like a creep just to scare him. And he could believe even less he was letting this get to him.

Suddenly angry, he hung up the phone when he heard nothing else than a breath. He had other things to do than waste time with some crazy .

However, as he was stepping away; the phone rang again, making him stop net in his track.

Swallowing the forming lump in his throat, he slowly looked over his shoulder at the home phone and hesitate a second. The letter's threats and dead kitten were enough to help him make his mind, and going back on his steps he answered the phone.

"Yeah ?" He almost snapped, already annoyed by this ing game.

Only a breath reached his ears, and in growing irritation he said "Hello ? If you've something to say just say it !"

He was angry, but even his threatening tone changed nothing. The caller was still breathing in the phone and saying nothing.

" it." He breathed in annoyance before hanging up sharply.

This time, he barely had time to turn around that the phone rang, and answering in boiling anger he snapped between gritted teeth. "Listen you mother er You're messing with the wrong guy. I've no ing intention to play your ing game. So you better stop right now before I'll get your sorry arrested."

He was feeling better after saying this, but then he heard a clear, over annoying and frightening laugh on the other side of the phone; and he wondered for a second how crazy this guy could be. Because he was sure it was a man, there was no doubt, and unless a woman had such low, rough voice then it could only be a 'He'.

The laugh echoed in his ear for a spreading moment before the guy eventually spoke. "Are you scared, Minwoo ?"

"The " He began in a low breath, but he was cut off.

"Your hands were shaking." He added, which crept him out of his mind.

Minwoo could not answer anything to this, too stunned and dumbfounded to find eventual words.

His mind screamed at him there was no way this guy could know about this, excepted if he was watching him or was even here in his apartment.

The thought panicked him, hence he hurriedly blurted out "Where are you ?"

The man laughed on the other side before saying. "Don't worry this little head of yours I'm never far from you."

"What the do you want ?" He screamed back, losing it at such hour in the night with such amount of alcohol inside him and this dead kitten on his dining table.

Laughing, the guy answered "Keep it cool Minwoo. I was just calling to be sure we were agreeing on the rules."

"Rules ?" He breathed back, slowly getting confused and disoriented. "What the are you talking about ? "

"How come ? You didn't get my little present I left at your door ?" Minwoo felt sick in his stomach when the dead kitten's image flashed in his mind.

"You're sick." He hissed back, at the verge of puking.

The man laughed and said. "If you think so you better follow my rules then."

"What rules are you talking about ?" He roared back, having no patience whatsoever with this son of a . "Just leave me alone !"

The guy clacked his tongue then answered "No can do, sorry." He did not sound sorry at all, and Minwoo wanted to punch him in the face. "The fun's just starting, I can't back off now, now can I ?"

Minwoo had no answer to this, even if he had a lot of beautiful words on the tip of his tongue; he knew it was not the smartest thing to do at the right moment. He was sure the guy would not take well his insults; not after slaughtering a poor kitten for ignoring his calls.

"Are you still there Minbongie ?"

"Don't call me that." He hissed back, over annoyed and disgusted to hear this name in this creep's mouth.

A laugh answered him, before the voice was heard once again. "Touchy ? I see." It sounded like a taunt, and Minwoo hated it. "I won't blame you this time, but if you can't handle alcohol you shouldn't drink so much with Eric."

He froze at the words, hearing from this man he was watching him and Eric earlier making him sick in his stomach and really scared; a feeling of violation crawling on his skin.

"What the do you want ?" He breathed back, losing the little energy he could have.

"I just want to play, Minwoo." He answered after an annoying chuckle. "We both know you love games."

"Because slaughtering kittens and rats' a game to you ?" He snapped back, a disgusted grimace forming on his face. "You're crazy man"

A sinister laugh answered him, and before he could feel nauseous about it the man spoke. "It was just a prelude."

The words terrified him to be honest, and let him speechless.

"I hope you liked it. I've a lot more in store if you gives me occasions, you know."

Minwoo passed a shaky hand on his face and tried to calm down; but the fear and annoyance were strong, making him think contradictory things he knew were far from compatible. Because he knew he should not provoke or anger the man; but he wanted to.

"Why are you doing this ?" He almost whispered in exhaustion, his legs giving up under him and making him crouch against the wall on his left with his hand pressing against his forehead. "What did I do to you ?"

The man laughed first then spoke. "So many questions Minnie and so little answers."

Minwoo gritted his teeth at the taunt, this anger boiling inside him making it hard to shut up.

"Are you ready to play ?"

"I won't."

"8873..." Minwoo frown when he heard this, but then he understood when the man said. "It's Andy's password, isn't it ? I'm always mistaking it with Eric's. It's 8852, isn't it ? We've three tries anyway, so it doesn't matter." He laughed it off then, as if he was having a comfortable conversation with a friend.

Minwoo suddenly had a weight on his chest, making it hard to breathe. He felt lightheaded and over panicked to hear this crazy man knew his friends' apartments passwords. It could mean only one thing, and the kitten's image flashed in his mind at the thought.

Once again, he felt sick and at the verge of puking; but he pressed his hand against his mouth and closed his eyes a second, hoping that maybe he was just dreaming and he would wake up soon.

"You're still there Minwoo ?"

"How do you know" He started in a tired, hollow voice.

"What do you think ?" He chuckled back. "It's my game Minwoo, of course I've all the needed cards." He paused then asked in a serious tone. "What about yours ?"

Minwoo froze, as if realizing he had nothing against this guy; which could only mean he was trapped. He could not do anything, or at least he could not think of anything at the right moment; and he could not wait for this call to end.

Because he was so tired.

"What am I supposed to do ?" He asked painfully, because he could not believe he was playing along this bastard's game, but he did not have other choice at the right moment.

Laughing in satisfaction, the man answered. "Just follow the rules, and it'll be alright."

"What rules ?"

"The ones with the kitten. You didn't read it ?" He laughed then said. "Of course you did. I know you did."

It scared and disgusted him some more, this feeling of being watched one making him sick in his stomach and paranoid.

"Just follow it for now, and I'll tell you if they changes."

"You can't change rules." He tried, hoping he would get a word in the matter; but a chuckle was his immediate answer.

"Don't be silly, of course I can. It's my game."

***

      Eric did not want to get out of bed, but the doorbell kept ringing and he could not ignore it any longer. Hence, in growing annoyance he pushed himself out of bed and dragged himself to the front door; Gomdori in tail.

"What ?" He growled with half open lids.

Standing on the other side, Minwoo stared up at him without a word, observing him in such way that he forgot about his irritation and worried about his friend.

"Minwoo ? Are you alright ?"

"Can I sleep over ?" He shot back, ignoring his concern.

"Huh yeah, of course but" He did not have time to say more that the main dancer entered his apartment and headed towards the living room.

Eric was not sure if he was supposed to be angry or worried, and following the shorter man inside the living room he could not help notice something felt off about him.

He could not tell what, but he knew there was something wrong with Minwoo.

Then, he realized his friend had merely ignored Gomdori when he was always so fond of it every time he was coming to his place.

"Hum, you want something to drink ?" He offered as his friend sat on the couch and got ride of his shoes he still had on.

"I'm good." He answered then stared at his shoes on the carpet. "Sorry about the shoes I forgot." He said rather distantly.

Narrowing his eyes at his friend, Eric said. "Hum, it's okay. But" He tried to make eye contact with Minwoo, but he did not look at him long enough to do so. "Are you sure you're okay ? I thought you were going home what are you doing here ?"

Eric noticed the way the shorter man tensed, but it was quickly gone as Minwoo's shoulders slouched before he laid down on the couch.

"I forgot my password." He said in a tired voice, his eyes already closed. "You don't mind if I stay for the night." He added, getting comfortable.

"Of course not. I'll get you a blanket."

"Thanks." He mumbled back as Eric stepped away.

He tried to not think about his friend on his way to the bedroom, but he could not help it and this gut feeling was screaming at him something was wrong. On his way back to the living room, he was intending to try to talk to Minwoo, but the shorter man was already sleeping when he arrived.

Sighing, he covered his friend with the blanket and watched the peaceful baby face for a second before passing a rough hand in his hair.

He was now awake and needed a cup of coffee. He could not believe it and could not help send a glare at his friend on the couch before disappearing in the kitchen.

Gomdori watching over Minwoo from his laying position at the feet of the couch.



Happy Minbongday =)

I'm not one to wish celebrities' birthdays... But for Minwoo, I guess I can ^^

It's July 28th in Korea, so I posted the first chapter as requested; I hope you liked it.

 

Thank you for reading, subscribing, commenting and upvoting

It motivates me so much and makes me feel so happy; and I really hope you won't be disappointed by the story =)

 

To next time !