Chapter 29

Stalker

 

29

      The building was well guarded, but it was nothing detective Lee could not handle. With the simple flash of his badge, he was allowed inside. There, he knew the hardest part was coming : the receptionist. He knew even if he was asking she would not let him go any further; so, deciding to play it bold, he walked past the reception to where he new the meeting was ongoing.

He just had enough time to make a step that the woman called out for him then threatened him to get him arrested if he was taking another step. Forced to acknowledge the receptionist, Lee went back to her and tried to be nice.

It was the hardest thing to do when the other person was giving her most distasteful glare and refusing to even try to understand the situation.

"I already told you over the phone…"

"I know what you said !" He snapped back with a slap of the counter between them; and the woman flinched slightly. "But you've to listen to me." He resumed calmly. "There's a life in danger, and if you don't let me in right now you'll have his death on your conscious for the rest of your life."

She seemed to hesitate for a moment, and Lee hoped she would eventually let him in for everyone's sake.

Time was running fast, and -with a check of his watch- Lee realized TaeCha was gone for more than thirty minutes now. He was praying Lee Minwoo would just be taken back to Seoul sound and safe; but he had a gut feeling telling him he had to be ready.

"Okay." She began softly. "I'll try to call him." She said with the phone in hand.

Lee wanted to just say the phone and just let me in, but he restrained himself now she was cooperating with him.

"Huh, sir… Yes. I'm sorry but…" She bit her lip at certainly scolding words, but unlike what Lee was expecting, she kept trying. "There's detective…" She looked up at him.

"Lee JaeSeung."

"Detective Lee JaeSeung at the reception. He wants to see you." She listened to what Chief Jung had to say then answered. "It's urgent sir. He said a life was in danger and he desperately need to talk to you."

A silence passed, and Lee could not stand it, the will to just force his way to the meeting room something powerful at the pit of his stomach.

"Yes sir." She said then hung up. "He's coming." She told him, and deeply relieved, Lee relaxed in a loud sigh.

"Thank you."

They stayed at the reception without a word, waiting for chief Jung to arrive. Lee had already forgotten about the woman behind the counter, and when the so awaited man arrived, he ignored her.

"Sir." He rushed, disregarding the displeased frown on his superior's face. "I'm sorry for the disturbance, but it's really important."

"So I've heard." He answered, crossing his arms on his chest. "What's going on Lee ? Head commander Kim was not happy about…"

"I'm really sorry about that. But it's about Gong ChaeHun."

Chief Jung tensed up "What about him ?"

"I… I think we made a mistake."

"What do you mean ?" Frowned back the man.

"Well… I think he's not our guy."

"What are you talking about detective ? You said…"

"I know. But there's incoherencies and… I'm afraid the real culprit's still out. I sent TaeCha pick up Lee Minwoo. He's at a two hours drive from Seoul and I need help on the case."

"What are you saying Lee ? How could you make such mistake ? Are you sure about this ? The evidences…"

"They might be fabricated. I've no real proofs right now… that's why I need help."

"What about your partner, detective Oh ?"

"I don't know where she is."

"What the hell's going on here ? Call her and tell her to come back at the station right now."

"I already tried sir. But she's not answering. Looks like her phone's off or something."

Chief Jung looked deeply irritated by the mess happening in his police station, but Lee knew he was a man of reason too.

"Okay. You've permission to use the others' help for twenty-four hours. You've carte blanche until I'm back from the meeting."

"Thank you sir." He saluted, impatient to go back to work.

"Don't hesitate to call me if you've a problem. Here's my personal number."

"Thank you sir." He was so relieved chief Jung was being such a help at such crucial moment. "I'll be on my way now." The chief nodded and watched him go.

***

      The weapon looked frightening in Minwoo's eyes. But it was nothing compared to how scared he was of his stalker's threat to hurt his friends.

It was just something he could not let happen, even if it meant it was the end for him.

He would protect his family.

The gun was cold and heavy in his hand, and retreating his arm with his eyes glued on the weapon, he thought about the options he had. Did he have a chance to kill the man and eventually end it ? What if the guy had another weapon ? Would he shoot him too ?

Feeling the crushing grip tighten around his chest, the dancer felt lightheaded and terrified out of his wits. He did not want to die, but he did not want the others to get hurt because of him. He was trapped and he knew it.

Now the question was would he just accept it or fight it ?

He had accepted too many things from the bastard in front of him, but he was scared of what would happen if he was trying anything against him. Even if he had not much to lose anymore, he was still scared of what this man was capable of.

Getting his eyes off the heavy fire arm in his hand, he looked up at his stalker and felt his skin crawl. The look in the man's eyes was a despicable, horrifying one, and Minwoo knew at this right moment if he was not doing what the guy wanted… then he would regret it greatly.

Was he scared of what would be done to him ? Minwoo was not sure. But he was terrified of what could happen to his love ones. He was ready to fight for them, to protect them and to give his life for them.

Was suicide really the answer to all of this ? Was it the only way out of this ing game ? Was it the goal from the beginning ? To push him to the limit and make him kill himself ?

Minwoo was not sure, but he felt sick in his stomach at the thought.

This man was really sick in the head, and feeling enraged by such fact, he tightened his grip on the gun.

He would not let him win.

The man was certainly expecting the fire shot, because as soon as Minwoo aimed for the guy, the coffee table was flipped over between them and made him shoot in the wall near Oh.

Grunting, the dancer swiftly got off the couch to get away from his stalker, but the man was quick and grabbed his arm before he could get far. Yanked back violently, Minwoo cried out in pain and tried to hit the man away. He missed and ended up with his arm twisted in his back.

Which hurt like a .

"Drop it !" Hissed the man behind him, but the dancer refused to lose the only defense he had against this monster. "Drop it !" He almost shouted, and fearing to have his bones crushed, Minwoo dropped the gun on the floor. "Good boy."

The shorter man was flared up by such mocking words, and managing to turn around without breaking his arm, he kicked the guy in the crotch before punching him. It was enough to get free from the vice like grip, and wasting no more time, Minwoo flew out of the house.

He heard the heavy, dangerous footsteps follow after him not long after, but he did not even try to look over his shoulder and just raced to the forest. There he knew he would have a chance against his stalker. He knew the environment well and had an advantage here.

Minwoo just prayed someone would save him before it was too late.

***

      Eric was getting more and more anxious as time kept passing. Maybe because he could not get in touch with Minwoo no matter how often he tried, or because he was feeling something was wrong, very wrong. He was not sure why, but as soon as detective Lee had told him the guy could still be out, Eric knew Minwoo needed help.

They knew nothing about the main dancer's situation though. Maybe he was safe watching some TV or sleeping through the day as Eric knew he could do.

But something felt out of place. Call it gut's feeling if you wanted, but the leader knew Minwoo needed him right now.

"Are we far ?" He questioned restlessly.

TaeCha his lips, looked at the GPS and answered "Half an hour, maybe less."

Eric could not help curse under his breath at such information. It was taking too long, and something was screaming at him they had to get there ASAP.

***

      It was tiring to run up in the forest, but the hope the man would be in even more trouble following him was giving him the needed energy to keep going.

There was no way he would get out of this alive if the man was catching him now. After trying to shoot him, the guy would certainly get his head for that. Minwoo had no doubt if he was letting the slightest opportunity to his stalker then it would be the end of him.

So he ran and crawled his way up a steep hill as fast as possible.

He could hear somewhere behind him -far enough behind him- some leaves and branches crack, and this threat trailing him was the only reason he kept going so madly despite the throb in his knee and burn in his lungs.

He had to escape and get enough distance between him and his stalker until help was here. If help was coming, of course.

Maybe high enough in the forest he would have enough signal to call the police, he did not know but had as goal to try.

      Dirt and sweat were covering his hands and knees -there was even some on his neck and face-, but when Minwoo neared the highest part of the forest, he could not care less.

Here was his chance.

Breathless and exhausted, he was about to fish his phone out of his pocket when it rang. Minwoo's eyes widened fully in surprise, and in a hurry, he picked up the call.

"Eric ?" He breathed in a mix of relieve, fear, desperation and hope.

"Minwoo ! Are you okay man ? I tried to call you a hundreds times. Where the hell were you ?"

"Eric…" Minwoo's voice cracked a bit at the assault of emotions and bloody, terrifying images flashing through his mind. "He's here."

That was all he had time to say that he heard a branch crack too close to him, and turning around sharply, he just had time to see the monster like man appear before he broke in a run down the hill he was on.

He did not try to think or fight, he just ran for his life to get away from his worst nightmare.

"Ah …" He gasped when his painful leg gave under him and made him roll all the way down the hill.

It hurts like hell, the way his body bumped on the ground covered in branches and small rocks. It really hurts, but it was nothing compared to the fear he felt at the perspective down this hill was his death.

Minwoo tried to grab something in his mad descent, but his hands were just scratched in the process before he eventually crashed in a huff on a flat ground.

His relieve was short lived though, because at the corner of his eyes he could see the imposing form of his stalker somewhere up the hill coming down towards him. It terrified him and gave him this necessary jolt of energy for him to get up and run again.

His leg twisted and collapsed under him once again, and the flash of pain coursing through his body almost pinned him down. The threatening man coming at him did not allow him any rest though, and forcing himself to move, he did his possible to ignore the pain jabbing in his leg to just get somewhere safe.



Run Minwoo, run ! xD

Hope you liked it.

 

Thank you for reading and supporting this story ^^

 

To next time !