Chapter 17

Stalker

 

17

      What happened ? Minwoo did not know and could not stop think about it since he had woken up in this hospital bed.

All he knew was that some couple had found him on a road in the countryside, soaked to the bones and unconscious. How he had ended up on this road ? He had no idea, but was doubting deeply it was because he had escaped from his cell.

Last time he was aware enough in this hellhole he could barely move with his injured leg, and his delirious mind would not have been efficient enough to let him plot something to escape.

So, what the hell happened ?

Was he just released by his stalker ? Why ? What was the man's plan now ? Was it finally over ? Minwoo doubted it. What would happen now ?

So many things had happened and were making his head spin.

 

      The police was back two days later at the hospital, and being alone in his room this time he could not help feel nervous when the two detectives arrived.

Minwoo was feeling a bit better and certainly looking a lot less like he had just been rolled over by a bus; but the female detective still had this look in her eyes when staring at him. The main dancer was not sure what she had against him, but maybe it had something to do with this drug found in his blood.

How horrified he had been when the Shinhwa members had told him they knew about the drug. Minwoo did not know where to look or what to do after hearing that; but then he was reassured his friends believed him about his stalker.

Of course, he had not told them in details about the man; but the members now knew how much his stalker had harassed him and tormented him.

He had felt so relieved now the others knew about these terrifying nights and the drugs he was given. It was almost like he had nothing to fear anymore and everything would go back to normal.

But the main dancer knew he could not relax so soon. Not with the experiences he had with his stalker.

There was no guaranty the man would stop his freaking game, and Minwoo was trying to prepare himself for what would come. Even if he did not know what would happen. He knew it was far from over and as long as this madman would be free the nightmare would go on.

If only he knew how to stop it.

The thought made him sigh silently before remembering the detectives in his room.

"We've a few questions for you." Announced Lee with no trace of hostility unlike his partner.

Nodding, Minwoo waited for the first question to be shot; anxiousness growing on him at the same time in fear he could not answer to it.

How much could he say ? He did not know and would see on the spot.

The dancer could just hope nothing bad would happen because of him.

"Okay, you said last time you were stalked by someone." Minwoo nodded. "Do you know anything about this person ? Did you see his face ?" The dancer could only shook his head at each question.

"I've never seen his face. I don't even have a name and the only thing I may be able to recognize is his voice."

Lee nodded, noted what he said then continued. "Do you have any idea who could be behind this ? We read the reports, but we'll like to know if anything new happened."

Minwoo shook his head. "No. It just got from bad to worse, but besides that I never had a chance to see the guy's face."

"What do you mean by it got from bad to worse ? Can you tell us what happened ?"

"Hum" The dancer swallowed thickly and tried to think about what he could say or not.

He knew hiding things from the police would be far from smart, but telling them everything could be even more dangerous. Minwoo was so tired of everything though.

What should he do ?

"This guy" He began, gathering his courage to talk. "He didn't only assault me in my car." Lee listened to him attentively. "It happened a lot of times in fact. At my place."

"You mean"

Minwoo nodded. "I know what you're gonna say but I couldn't report it. I already told you what happened when I did it after the car's incident. I couldn't report it."

"Before the assault in your car, were you ever attacked before ?"

The dancer thought about it a second then said with a nod. "Yeah. But like I told you last time I wasn't sure it was real. I thought I was dreaming or something. And, to be honest I was scared it could be true."

He dared a shy glance up at the detectives and was relieved to see Lee was not glaring at him as Oh had done last time. Even her seemed less hostile towards him than before; even if the tension in her shoulders was giving away her real feelings.

Minwoo was glad she was not shooting him dead with her only gaze.

"I've no idea how he managed to get inside my apartment, but he did. And each time I was realizing it too late to do anything."

"What happened while these attacks ? Did he hurt you ?"

The dancer swallowed thickly before answering. "I don't think so. I mean I was drugged every times, so I don't know what happened when I was out. But I don't think he hurt me when I was unconscious."

Lee nodded then continued. "Anything else happened before your disappearance ?"

Minwoo was not sure if he could tell the police everything, but he decided to just speak and get over with it.

"I can't remember every time I was assaulted, but sometimes it was even happening at places I thought I'd nothing to fear. Like in M!Countdown's corridors. I was attacked there once he even had a knife at the time."

"And nobody saw you ?" Spoke for the first time Oh, the suspicion in her voice something Minwoo did not need at the right moment.

He stared up at her, his emotions becoming wild inside him and almost bringing tears in his eyes.

"No. Everything happened really fast. He was gone before anyone could see us."

She did not answer anything and let her partner resume the questioning.

"Anything else ?"

"Humthere was this accident at our concert." Lee had a frown on his face when he heard this. "I don't know if you heard about it, but Dongwan was hurt on our seventeenth anniversary concert."

"I read something about it. I thought it was just a dysfunctional in the equipment security."

Minwoo shook his head with tears in his eyes at the memory of the fear and panic he had felt at the time.

"It was him." He affirmed. "I've no idea why he did that but he called me this very night to congratulate me on our concert. And I knew I knew at this right moment it was no accident, but him."

"I guess you've no proof either." Commented Lee to which the dancer nodded.

"There's just these phone calls, but I don't think it'll be of any use."

"We'll still look into it." The man scribbled something on his notebook then said. "Continue"

"Hum One of our dancer was hurt too. The police tagged it as a hit and run, but it was this man's doings once again."

"How can you be sure ?" Almost snapped Oh, as if annoyed.

Minwoo's head whipped up towards the detective to glare at her. "Because he didn't stop calling me to tell me it would happen."

"Why didn't you prevent it then ?"

"Because he never told me who he would target nor how !" He answered in growing distress to be accused of something he had no power over. "I just knew something would happen to one of my love ones you've no idea how maddening it was to know he would hurt someone I love but couldn't do a ing thing about it !"

"It's okay, we understand." Butted in Lee with a warning glance towards Oh.

Minwoo needed a second to relax and stop glaring murderously at the woman.

"Why bother asking so much questions if you don't even believe me ?" He stressed out in growing agitation. "I'm telling you everything when I know something horrible could happen by doing so."

"Relax Minwoo. We believes you."

"No. She don't !" He snapped back with a pointed glare at Oh.

Tension grew in the room after that, and Lee decided he had to do something before either the dancer or his partner could do something stupid.

"Detective Oh !" He called, looking over at his partner. "Would you mind leave us alone for a moment ?"

She glared at him and snapped back. "Because you think"

"Please." He cut her off softly. "Let me finish the questioning. I'll meet with you once I'm done."

Clearly annoyed, Oh sent a glare at Minwoo before scoffing and exiting the room for the dancer's greatest relieve.

"Okay. Can we continue now ?"

Minwoo looked up at the man, thought for a second before accepting. He told the detective everything he could remember; until the question about his disappearance arrived.

"I'm not sure what happened." He admitted, gazing distantly at the feet of the bed. "I was outside for some air and then I don't know. I just woke up in a room."

"Where your stalker presumably kept you ?"

"Yeah." He nodded back, his voice becoming huskier at the memory of his captivity.

"Do you know why he kidnapped you ?"

Minwoo shook his head then said. "I've already no idea why he targeted me in the first place."

Detective Lee observed the dancer, the emotions passing on his face as he remembered everything he had gone through so far. It comforted the man in his idea something serious was going on, unlike what Oh was claiming.

Lee Minwoo was not just a junkie trying to save his with a wacky story. Lee was sure about it now.

 

***

 

      "You're sure you don't need help ?"

"I'm fine, mom." Chuckled back Minwoo when his mother tried to support him to walk.

She had already tried in the hospital room, the corridor and elevator; and now they were exiting the hospital to go to the car she was asking again.

It could have be annoying, but Minwoo just felt amused and relieved to be surrounded by his family.

The main dancer did not want to tell them at first, but then he could not bear the thought of going back to his place alone to wait for this man to show up. He could not handle doing this anymore and needed a break.

After what he had gone through, the fear of dying in this hellhole and never be found; the only thing he wanted was to be able to rest somewhere he was safe with people he loved.

Of course, he was worried to put in danger his parents, but the police had said they would watch the house for the time being.

Minwoo could not have be more reassured; even if deep down he was still dreading the moment everything would start again and threaten his sanity.

 

      His parents' house felt amazingly warm and comforting, and when he reached the room he was used to sleep in when staying with his family; he felt like all the worries and tension were gone; leaving him exhausted and at peace.

"I'll let you rest." Smiled his mother after putting his stuffs where it should and helping him in bed as comfortable as possible with his still hurt leg. "Just call me if you need anything, I'll be in the living room with your father."

Minwoo smiled at his mother and watched her walk out of the room. He suddenly felt like the innocent and carefree little boy he was once with his mother here to take care of him.

He felt like crying at the thought, and wiping his eyes sharply he sniffled before turning around in bed to sleep.

He was finally clean from the drug his stalker had made him addicted with, even if it was hard at first, the hospital staff was here to support him and appease his suffers. Unlike in this hole where the man had let him endure his agony before making it start all over again for his sick pleasure.

The memory made him shiver hard, and shutting his eyes tightly he forced the images away.

His doctor had told him even if the physical effects of the withdrawal were over; the psychical ones would last longer and he needed to see someone if he wanted to get through it all.

Minwoo was not that fond of a therapy, but it could only help; which he knew.

He hated so much to be so sensitive and depressed because of the withdrawal anyway; he had not much of a choice than do what he was told to eventually get better.

It was either that or hid away as he had tried before.

The outcome was far from good, so there was no way Minwoo would avoid the situation anymore nor try to deal with it on his own.

He promised himself he would put aside his damn pride to get the needed help.

It was either that or screw everything he had worked so hard for.

Minwoo would not support to lose Shinhwa and the fans and love and everything coming with. He needed it, and if he could not have it anymore he did not have real purpose in life anymore.

Maybe it was his depressed side talking; but there was a part of truth.

Minwoo loved Shinhwa more than his own life. He could and would do anything for the group, and he knew he would get through all this and get back on his feet.

Maybe not tomorrow or next month; but he would be back.