Chapter 22

Stalker

 

22

      The man was around average height, maybe a bit taller, the muscles showing under his clothes letting the detectives know he was working out regularly. The look in his eyes was cold and expressionless, the only moment detective Lee and his colleague could see something similar to emotions being when he was smirking at apparently stupid or amusing questions.

Lee felt more than once like an idiot in front of this man, but there was no way he would let it see. The bastard would be too happy of the effect he had on the detective.

"Again. Why did you target Lee Minwoo ? Did you want money ? Fame ?"

The stalker now known as Gong ChaeHun gave one of his derisive smirk and refused to answer; again. After calling Eric Mun, Lee and his colleague had found the man and arrested him at his apartment, and for almost an hour now detective Lee was questioning Gong but getting nothing out of the man. Lee could not understand Gong's behavior, mostly when he had admitted being the one stalking Lee Minwoo when he was arrested.

If Lee had knew it would be the only confession or word he would have from the man he would have recorded it and used it against him. Even if he was not sure such reminder of his saying would have make ChaeHun speak.

The man seemed to be waiting for something, and detective Lee did not know what.

"We'll get nothing out of him." He sighed to his colleague, and detective Choi could only nod in exasperation.

"Maybe tomorrow…"

"Detective Lee !" The door opened abruptly before Choi could finish, and looking up at the young policewoman, Lee waited for what she had to say. "There's someone for you outside." She sent an uncertain glance at Gong before swallowing.

Lee understood immediately and stood up.

"You keeps going." Choi nodded even if it was not a question, and watching detective Lee walk out of the room, the detective and stalker's gaze met when they ended up alone with each other.

"He's here." Grinned ChaeHun, and taken aback by the sudden speaking and words, detective Choi did not know what to answer.

"Wha… what ?" He stuttered like an idiot, and the man smirked, refusing to say any more.

Staring at the man for a second, Choi could only sigh in annoyance when he understood he would get nothing more; which felt extremely frustrating.

***

      "I wasn't expecting you before tomorrow." Greeted detective Lee before shaking Eric and Minwoo's hand.

"We thought the sooner would be the better." Answered the leader with a glance down at the dancer before looking around him. "So… can we see these CCTV footages ?" He asked in tensed apprehension, and the three men facing each other could feel it spread around them.

"I'll show them to you in a second, but first…" He answered before swallowing. "You've to know we've arrested the man an hour ago and we're currently interviewing him."

Minwoo tensed up furiously at the information before glancing up at Eric in apprehension.

"Can we watch the questioning ?" Asked the leader.

"Of course." Lee did not move and waited for Minwoo to say something.

"You want to see him ?" Asked Eric, and hesitating a moment the dancer eventually nodded.

"Come with me." Said Lee before heading in a direction and opening a door a few seconds later. "He can't see you, but you can hear and see everything from here." He informed at the way the two Shinhwa members seemed to tense up.

Minwoo and Eric stared at the man sitting face to the one way mirror and felt like the man was staring through their souls. It was an horrible feeling making the dancer's mouth dry and his palm sweat.

"You're sure he can't see us ?" He questioned in slight anxiousness, and Lee nodded.

"Positive. Don't worry about that."

Minwoo chuckled nervously at the words before rubbing his hands on his pants to push them in his pockets soon after. He was stressed and anxious to be standing so close to the man who had made his life a living hell, and seeing his face for the first time was deeply weird.

Minwoo was not expecting the man to be like this, but at the same time he was not expecting him to be different. He did not really know what he was expecting, but this look of normality emanating from the man was strange. The main dancer would have been less surprised if his stalker had been some kind of terrifying being nobody could look at without knowing what he was.

But he was just a man like any others and it felt horribly unnerving and reassuring at the same time. It was like Minwoo did not have to fear an invisible monster he could not put a face on anymore; and this only fact in itself helped a lot the dancer.

It was like he did not have to worry anymore if the man passing by him was not the one stalking him, or the guy following in his back, or the one taking the same elevator as him, or the same path.

Minwoo could not even imagine how things would be now he did not have to worry about all this.

He could not wait for it to be over, even if on another hand he could not help doubt it could end so easily. How could the man be caught just like that knowing everything he had done so far.

Minwoo chewed on his bottom lip at the forming thoughts, and when Lee spoke he forced himself to focus on the detective.

"His name's Gong ChaeHun. He's a thirty-eight certified public accountant. We don't know much about him yet, but we're positive it's him."

"How ?" Shot back Minwoo without really thinking. "I mean… did he confess ?" The dancer could not believe the man would admit everything.

"Yes." Answered Lee to the two men's surprise and shock. "He admitted being your stalker when we arrested him at his house."

"What else did he say ? Did he tell you why he was doing this ?" Questioned Minwoo and Lee bit his lip.

"Not yet." He paused then looked at the stalker in the other room. "He didn't say much since he's here. In fact…" He resumed, feeling what he had just said felt wrong. "He hadn't uttered a word since he confessed he was your stalker."

The main dancer felt his stomach knot at the thought all this would be of no use and the man would walk out freely.

"But don't worry. It'll come. They're always talking, even if it takes some time they end up talking."

"Are you sure ?" Asked Eric before Minwoo could do it.

Staring up at the leader, the detective's gaze was determined when he answered "Yes. I've no doubt about it."

"I know you're there." Suddenly arose Gong's voice, and the three men looking at the one way mirror froze in shock.

Minwoo felt panic crawl up on him at the said words, and looking between Lee and Eric did not help him calm down. The two other men seemed as shocked as him.

"Lee Minwoo." Added ChaeHun with this devious grin of his. "I'd real fun playing with you. Too bad it ended so soon. I wanted to watch you suffer some more… just like last time in the cell. It was really entertaining." He chuckled lastly, as if what had happened was something to be amused by.

Minwoo felt himself tremble in a mix of fear and anger, before the rage overtook him and made him clench his fists.

Eric's fingers slowly wrapped around the dancer's wrist to distract him from the man's taunting, which helped the younger man relax slightly.

"I loved how you begged me to make it stop… how you called for help and cried for someone to take you away from your misery." Gong chuckled again before adding. "They all let you rot in this hole with me. They didn't give a about you… they would've come otherwise."

Eric felt a pinch of pain and guilt in his chest at the words, because it sounded horribly true; even if it was not.

"The only reason you're freed is because of me. I'm the one who let you go. If I didn't…" He laughed and said. "If I didn't you'll still be in this hole begging to be saved. I'd mercy on you… Consider yourself lucky. I could've done so much more to you back there… but I didn't. And you know why ?"

A long silence passed after the man's question, and detective Choi was not sure if he was supposed to shut the man up or let him speak. He knew Lee Minwoo was watching and was not sure if it was wise to let Gong continue. But what other occasion would they have to make the man talk.

They could not let the opportunity pass.

"Because I've other opportunities." The stalker's voice was suddenly low and threatening, the look in his eyes dark and piercing, as if he was staring straight in Minwoo's eyes. 

Shivering at such terrifying words and sight, the dancer had no doubt the man was telling the truth.

"Stop that now !" Snapped Choi, and Gong laughed heartily as if he had made the funniest joke in the world.

"I'm sorry about that." Spoke up Lee. "I've no idea how he knows you're here… but I can assure you he can't see you from the other side."

"He doesn't need to." Answered the hollow voice of Minwoo.

"Minwoo…"

"We should go." He cut off the leader without even looking at him. "We've seen enough… and detective Lee will call us when he have something new."

"You don't want to see the CCTV footages ?" Asked the detective, and the dancer froze in his track before glancing over his shoulder at Eric.

The two men conversed silently then Minwoo looked at Lee. "Okay, let's go." He said and followed the detective to a room.

      There was a man sitting in front of computers and screens showing different kind of images when they stepped inside, and the two Shinhwa members looked around in slight anxiousness.

"SeungHyun. Rewind footage 0014528C please." Asked Lee when they arrived closer to the man.

"On it boss." Comfortably answered SeungHyun before choosing a file on the screen facing him. "Here it is gentlemen." He said, clicking on a button.

Standing close to Eric, Minwoo stared at the screen and waited nervously for what he knew would show.

The dancer was used to be on TV and watch himself, but today it felt out of place and worrisome.

He did not need to wait for long to see Gong on the screen, following him inside the shop he had just entered. Minwoo felt a wave of panic and disgust at the realization all this time the man was just there so close to him and following him around. The dancer thought he had certainly crossed path with the man a dozen times and never knew it was the one tormenting him for so long.

It was frightening to see this man everywhere he was, and it was even more enraging to have missed such obvious person trailing him.

Maybe now he knew his stalker's face it made it so much more easier to spot him when he was following him around on the footage. But Minwoo could not help hate the fact he had seen nothing and let the man do as pleased without suspecting a second he was just there… always there.

The main dancer suddenly felt dizzy to have the sickening and maddening truth thrown at him all at once, and on a breath he decided he did not want to see more.

"That's enough."

The three other men looked over at him in silent wonder, then they understood how Minwoo must be feeling. Lee nodded to SeungHyun, and the next second the screen turned black and an heavy silence weighted in the room.

"You okay ?" Breathed Eric with a hand on the shorter man's shoulder.

"Fine." Snapped back Minwoo before shrugging the hand away to step to the door. "Let's go !" He added, eager to get the hell out of here and back to the leader's place.

He was feeling dirty and angry after what had happened at the police station, and he needed to go somewhere he felt safe to regain his composure and the control over his emotions.

"I'll call you as soon as he's spoken." Eric shook Lee's hand and shared a few words with the detective Minwoo did not care about.

The dancer just had one wish at the right moment, and it was to go home.

Minwoo was suddenly glad he was not living alone in a too spacious apartment he would have felt lost in.

Shaken as he was after what happened with Gong ChaeHun and watching the footage, the last thing he needed was to be alone.