Chapter 30

Stalker

 

30

      His lungs were burning and screaming for mercy, but Minwoo did not allow it -could not allow it- The stalker was still chasing him, and if he wanted to stay alive until Eric's arrival, he had to run.

He was swift in his race, even if he tripped more than once on branches and roots, he managed to stay on his feet and push himself forward. He could not waste time or he would be screwed. This man only needed an opportunity, and if he was giving him one Minwoo knew it would be the end.

The forest was like a rolling screen beside him, a blur of cold looking colors he had no time to look at.

He was not sure where he was going, but he knew he was running deeper in the forest. Maybe he should try to reach the road. Someone could help him, but what if this man was killing some innocent passerby because of him ?

Minwoo could not let this happen. But he had to get somewhere safer, somewhere he could get some help.

Slipping on some leaves, he grunted in pain when his knee went in contact with some hard root. Crawling back on his feet, the little forced pause made it hard for him to resume his race. He was suddenly out of breathe and unable to run anymore. Mostly with his throbbing leg and now painful knee.

Feeling the tears in his eyes, he pushed himself towards a tree and slide down it to hide behind it at the roots. It was big enough to offer the needed protection from the man's sight, but Minwoo knew it was just a temporary hideout until he was able to move again.

The sweat on his face felt sticky as it dried, and his heavy breath was too loud for his liking, even if he tried to muffle it. He was breathless and terrified, making it almost impossible for him to be quiet.

Soon enough, the cracking branches and frightening footsteps were heard coming closer to his position. He heard the man pant and heavily run his way through the forest. Minwoo was relieved the guy had such a hard time to progress through the wild environment. It was giving him an advantage he would use the best possible.

Pressing himself against the tree trunk, the dancer closed his eyes tightly and bit his bottom lip violently to keep himself quiet for his stalker to just pass by him without stopping. He prayed with his whole being the man would not stop nor slow down and just keep running.

His heart pounded violently against his ribcage when the man arrived just where he was. The tree should be enough to hide his presence, but Minwoo was terrified the guy would feel he was here and found him.

With the amount of adrenaline coursing through his veins, Minwoo felt his body tremble, the fear mixing with at the fact his worst nightmare was just there almost making him whimper. Therefore, he squeezed his eyes shut even more and bit almost bloody his lip.

This man could not find him.

He could not find him now.

Not now.

Just go ! Just go !

Please… Just keep running.

Only a second certainly passed between the moment the man arrived at his position and the one he passed by him, but for Minwoo it felt like minutes of tensed apprehension and fear.

Listening until he could barely hear the guy anymore, he eventually relaxed against the tree trunk and allowed air in his lungs once again. He had thought his heart would explode in his chest so much he was scared, and shaking madly, he took several slow breaths to calm down.

He had to think now. He could not keep running forever like this, and if he wanted to survive he had to be smart.

Pushing himself up, the unexpected flash of pain made him gasp and swallow a yelp. Biting his lip violently, he stiffened furiously at the thought the man could have hear him. Listening, he prayed his stalker was too far to hear such little noise, but as he eventually dared to move, he distinguished the fainted cracks of branches coming always closer.

!

Panicking, Minwoo pushed himself away from the tree and tried to run. He half hopped and half ran away, the trees helping him stay on his feet until his foot slid on the dirt and made him fall in a painful huff.

It sent another wave of pain across his body, but he could not waste time and had to get up and run. It seemed too much time passed between the moment he fell and the one he managed to move, because he barely had time to press a hand against a tree trunk that an arm wrapped around his neck.

Startled, he pushed himself back in hope to get free, but the man's grip on him was strong and unbreakable, even when he kicked out and pushed against a tree trunk. He could not get free.

The man tightened his grip around his throat and blocked his airway. Minwoo panicked and tried to call out for help. No sound came out of his mouth, and feeling the burning tears in his eyes, the dancer felt desperately powerless and screwed.

He was going to die, and there was nothing he could do about it.

Different kind of thoughts crossed his mind at such realization, and the images of his love ones made a jabbing pain assault his insides and twist his heart.

He did not want to die. He did not want to lose them and God… Someone help him !

He was so scared and helpless, the arm preventing oxygen inside him making him lightheaded and weaker. He felt his strengths abandon him, the strong, imposing body in his back becoming frighteningly real and threatening.

What was he going to do ? He did not want to die.

Gathering what he had left of energy, Minwoo tried to elbow his assailant, but it was like a fly trying to hit a wall, and in the end the guy just tightened his agonizing grip around his throat until black spots were dancing in front of his teary eyes.

Minwoo thought the end was here, but just as blackness was closing around his vision, he was released and pushed against the tree were he crashed against gasping and coughing. His head was spinning and throbbing horribly, but the air filling his lungs washed away this panic he had felt at the perspective of dying.

Kneeling at the feet of the tree, Minwoo forgot for a spreading moment about the dangerous man in his back, and when a strong hand fell on his shoulder he almost jumped out of his skin. Out of instinct, he kicked out and tried to crawl away, but the man pulled him back before pinning him against the tree.

It hurts, but a lot less than the fear eating him up from the inside.

Screaming out in pain, Minwoo had no idea why the guy was suddenly kicking him in his painful leg, and crashing on his knee pulled him through another agonizing moment. The man ignored his suffers and pulled him back up against the tree, the hand he was using to hold him up painfully pressing against his collarbone.

Feeling nauseous, Minwoo could hear loud and clear his panting breath against his eardrums. He was sure if the man was only trying to move him again he would either throw up or faint; which he did not want to happen.

He was feeling miserable enough like that.

"Game's over now." Said the man, slightly breathless. "I win." He finished with a devious grin, and looking up at his stalker, Minwoo felt sick in his stomach. "It's time for you to say goodbye."

The dancer shivered hard at the thought it was the end. He did not want to die. But he could not prevent it anymore either.

Minwoo felt like crying.

"You've got two options." He resumed, almost startling the dancer. "The gun or the rope."

Minwoo's eyes widened in horror, the only thought of shooting himself or hanging himself something he could not even imagine. It was crazy and impossible. This man could not be asking him such thing.

"What's your choice ?" He smirked, and the dancer glared back murderously.

***

      The police car pulled in front of the house just beside the black one already there. The two police officers were surprised to find two cars parked near the house, and sharing a look, they got out of their vehicle.

"You think it's something that serious ?" Questioned the male officer, and his partner -a petite woman- shrugged before stepping to the door.

"The detective sounded restless over the phone. He said a patrol was needed immediately at this address."

"I wonder what's going on."

About to knock, the female officer was surprised when the door just opened on its own. Quickly on alert, the two police officers put their hands on their weapon before entering the house.

"Hello !" Called the woman, but no noise came to their ears. "Is someone there ?"

The male officer patted his partner's shoulder and motioned to her he was heading on the left. She nodded and took right. They carefully made their way inside the house, to end up face to face with an horrifying sight at their feet.

"Oh my God." Breathed the male detective before hurrying down at the unconscious woman's side.

"Is she…"

"She's dead." Gulped back the man, and with horrified expressions, the two officers stared at each other.

What the hell had happened here ?

They had never seen something like this before, and taking a look at the living-room, they noticed the flipped over table and iron bar on the floor. The female officer noticed the lamp lying not far from the dead woman, and getting a good idea of the situation, they immediately reported to their police station.

***

      The phone call had left Eric even more nervous and anxious than he already was, and after numerous panicked thoughts, useless words TaeCha had just listened to, and surges of anger and rage, the Shinhwa leader eventually settled down on the seat and became awfully quiet.

The silence seemed to last forever, when it was suddenly broken by the radio's buzz. It almost startled Eric out of his skin, but it was nothing compared to how he felt when he heard the scratchy voice stated a specific code.

Eric did not know what it meant, but he did not have to wait long before hearing "We've a dead body. All units…" He stopped listening when the word 'dead' rang in his mind.

His first thought was that Minwoo was dead and he was not sure how he felt about it. He wanted to cry and scream and kill the sick son of a responsible of such thing. But, shocked, he did not move nor speak and just stared with wide eyes at the radio in the car.

Minwoo was dead. Minwoo was dead. He was dead.

Oh my God !

Minwoo was dead. What was he going to do now ? What was he supposed to say to the others ? And, Oh God ! Minwoo's parents were going to be devastated. He did not want to face them. He could not face them about Minwoo's death.

Oh God !

Starting to hyperventilate, Eric heard TaeCha's voice, but he did not care about what he had to say, until he heard him ask about the dead body.

"It's detective Oh's." An heavy silence fell at the announce. "She's dead." TaeCha became deadly quiet after that, and Eric could not help feel relieved, but at the same time…

Detective Oh was dead. She was dead, and there was no way he could not feel sad about it. Someone's life was lost and even if the woman was a real to them… she was dead. Eric could not believe it.

"Are you okay ?" He huskily asked to the officer, but the man seemed elsewhere. "Officer !" He called, and the man eventually looked at him. "You okay ?"

Clearing his throat, the man tightened his grip on the wheel before nodding "Yeah. I'm good."

It was a lie, but Eric could not blame the man. He was feeling the same just a second ago at the thought Minwoo was dead. It made him feel even worse for the loss the man was experiencing. He did not know how well TaeCha knew Oh nor if they were close… but she was part of the same team as the man and it was enough to feel the pain of losing her.

Eric hoped they would catch the killer, and then he felt worried sick about Minwoo.

The man was out there with Minwoo… and if he had not killed him yet… he would.

Oh God ! They needed to get there as soon as possible before this monster could hurt Minwoo.



Well, I hope you liked this one.

Do you think it's dragging too much ? I didn't want to just get over with the stalker or story in a couple of chapters. I wanted something a bit more... I don't know. Something more ing (?) if I can say.  

 

To next time !