Chapter 16

Stalker

 

16

      The sun was still offering a reposing and beautiful light on the landscape the newlywed couple was admiring from their sitting position in the middle of a deserted field. It was moments they loved to share together, and were hoping it would last forever.

The darkening sky forced them to walk back home before they could admire the sunset, and with their hands linked together, they made their way back on the road.

It was an area they would never even imagine leave; the peacefulness of such part of the country something they had dreamt of before their wedding. They had both agreed on moving in this village before marrying, and none of them were regretting it so far.

They had everything they wanted here, and it was the dreamed place to have and raise children.

It was offering so many opportunities for them to experience freely their young lives.

Looking up at the sky, the husband suddenly protected his wife's head with his jacket, the rain becoming stronger forcing them to run their way back home.

      They were getting closer to their house when the wife spotted something on the road. Her husband tried to distract her from it to just quickly go back home; but she stopped him and leaded him to the form on the road.

She was not sure what it was, and was expecting a wounded animal; but once closer, she could not help a shriek of horror at what she saw.

"Oh my God !" She gasped before running to the person laying on the road under the heavy rain.

"Honey !" Called after her the husband before catching up with her quickly. "Oh God" He breathed with wide eyes. "Is he alright ?"

The wife was not sure if she could move the unconscious person, but eventually managed to put her hands on his trembling shoulders to turn him around.

"Oh God !" She gasped once again at the sight in front of her. "Call 119 ! Hurry up !" She panicked, forcing her husband to snap out of his torpor to call for help.

Said man quickly fished his cell phone out of his pocket to call an ambulance while his wife kept a close eye on the man on the ground.

"Oh my God" She whispered in shock, the overall condition the man was in something she had never seen before.

He looked dirty and hurt, the fading bruises on his face scaring her more than anything else. She had never seen hurt people before, and she was not sure what she was supposed to do.

"Should we take him home ?" Came the husband's voice, which startled her slightly.

Looking up at him, she hesitate then said. "I I don't know. Do you think we can move him ? What if he was hit by a car ?"

The husband took a good look at the man on the ground before answering. "I think it's okay. There'll be blood if he was hit by a car maybe he just faint or something."

Biting her lip, the wife eventually nodded before helping her husband with the unconscious and rather heavy man.

"Let's go." He groaned once the man up, the weight he was mostly carrying one weighting even more with the rain.

 

***

 

      The phone call arrived at an unexpected moment.

Eric and Hyesung were in the recording studio working on the main singer's album when the leader's phone went to life. Checking the ID, Eric answered without hesitation and greeted Young Hee.

"They found him." Was the first words the man let out to the leader's greatest shock.

He was not sure if he had heard right and even less what he was supposed to do or think.

"What ? Where ?"

Hyesung was watching the older man's expression change as Young Hee gave him the wanted information. The main singer had no idea what the leader had just heard, but he was fearing it was something bad.

Minwoo was on everyone's minds since he was missing and each time a phone call was coming they were all hoping secretly it would be for the main dancer.

Hyesung did not know when it would come nor how and in which situation; but watching the older man made him feel more and more like it was eventually happening.

After a week of perpetual worries, interrogations and anxieties, it seemed like they would finally have their answers.

"What's going on ?" Immediately asked Hyesung when Eric hung up.

"Minwoo" Hearing the dancer's name made the singer tense up and fear what would say the leader. "They found him. He's at the hospital."

"Really ?" Hyesung was overly relieved and happy, but the shocked reaction from Eric made him dread what other information he could have. "What are we waiting for ? Let's go !" He said, preferring to just see Minwoo yet and ask for further information later.

"Huh yeah." Answered Eric with a blink of his eyes.

Clearing his throat, the older man forced back some senses into him before standing up and grabbing his jacket to follow Hyesung out of the studio.

 

***

 

      The sun was too bright and the room too hot when he stirred out of his slumber. Minwoo was not sure what he was expecting when he opened his eyes, but it certainly was not the faces of almost every members of Shinhwa and two others he could not recognize.

The look in said persons' eyes made him cringe internally, because he felt like he was in trouble and these people were announcing nothing good for him.

"What's going on ?" He slurred out, his mouth numbed after so much time without something to drink.

"You're finally back." Smiled widely Junjin, the deep emotions in his eyes making the main dancer uncomfortable and happy at the same time.

"What happened ?" He asked back, confused by the whole situation.

Because last time he had opened his eyes he was still in this hole undergoing the torture of withdrawal. He had prayed and begged the man to make it stop and take him out of here; but he was ignored and just given more drugs to prolong his suffers.

The memory made him shiver hard, his sudden freedom something he could not understand.

"You don't remember ?" Shot back Andy with big eyes.

"You were missing for a week. The police looked for you but they didn't have a clue." At Junjin's words one of the stranger cleared his throat and took a step closer to Minwoo's bed.

"I'm detective Lee and this is detective Oh. We'll be in charge of the investigation of your case from now on, and I'll like to ask you some questions if you don't mind."

"His doctor said he had to take it easy." Snapped back Eric with a glare pointed at the male detective who had just spoke.

"It can wait tomorrow. He won't vanish in thin air." Added Hyesung with the same hostility in his gaze.

Minwoo watched from his laying position in the bed, wondering why such tension could be felt between the police and his friends. As far as he knew, Shinhwa never had a problem with the law; so why such reaction ?

He did not know and was in no shape to care at the right moment.

"I'll beg to differ." Interfered the female detective; Oh, if they were remembering correctly.

All eyes fell on her, Minwoo first thought being she was quite attractive but looking too cold for his liking. Which made him frown.

"You all remember how this case started, right ?" She continued with a circular look at the Shinhwa men before giving a more stern one to Minwoo who still had no idea why such hostility was felt. "He disappeared at the hospital, when taking a walk outside. What guaranty do we have it won't happen again ?"

"Did you look at him ?" Snapped back Junjin who was slowly losing patience. "He's the shadow of himself. It's barely if he can walk."

Minwoo could not help send a look at the younger man for such words. Because, please he was not impotent and perfectly capable to move on his own. Thank you very much.

But he guessed Junjin did not mean any bad; at least the main dancer hoped.

"His leg was badly injured last time and it didn't prevent him to disappear." Shot back Oh.

Minwoo suddenly had a great dislike for the woman he had not even been introduced to as it should.

"So what ? You're saying he went missing on his own ? Did you ing look at him ?" Almost lost it Junjin, but Hyesung put a hand on the younger man's chest to calm him down.

Oh sent a look down that could be qualified as disinterest to the main dancer; which only added to this growing feeling of dislike he had for her.

"We'd never implied such thing." Butted in Lee, but the Shinhwa members were not fooled by his attempt at appeasement.

"You didn't have to." Shot back Hyesung, the look in his eyes one Minwoo had only seen when he was really mad at someone -Eric most of the time-

Silence suddenly fell as each side tried to find a new angle to attack after analyzing the adversary's closely.

"Hum" Eventually arose the most concerned man's voice.

Minwoo felt like shot by the amount of attention suddenly on him, but he did his possible to disregard his discomfort. "Can someone explain me what's going on ?"

Everyone stared at him for a lasting moment; and Minwoo wondered if it was smart to speak in such situation. But he could not bear hearing everyone talk about him as if he was not even here about something he was utterly confused.

"Do you remember what happened ?" Asked Lee, jumping on the occasion to question the main dancer.

Looking up at the detective, Minwoo tried to think and sort out his memory. Not that he had forgotten what had happened, but he was not sure from where to start or even if he could tell the truth. It was not like he had most of a choice; but he was still terrified of the consequences if he was talking.

He was not that worried about himself, but the victims his stalker would make because of him.

"Minwoo ?" Eric's voice brought him back to present, and with a look around he tried to explain everything he knew.

"Well everything started a few months ago. I guess you already know about the stalker I had last year but after that it got worst." He glanced up at his friends and detectives but decided to ignore them in fear to chicken out. "At first he was just sending me letters and calling me. But then he came to my apartment."

Eric's throat tightened when he heard that, the memory of his own attack at the dancer's place something still tormenting him even now.

"I thought it was just dreams at first that I was stressing out and all but then I was assaulted in my car and I knew it could not be my imagination."

"We read the report about the assault." Confirmed Lee. "You never brought the letters from your stalker."

Minwoo bit his bottom lip and lowered his head at the memory of this day everything took a more horrifying turn.

"I was supposed to but I was busy and all. And when I got a chance to give them to you something happened." The main dancer was quiet for a moment after that, as if refusing to explain any further.

"What happened ?" Oh's voice was rather harsh even if she hid it mostly behind her cold mask.

"Hum" Minwoo his lips and tried to find the right words; but it was mostly impossible for what he was about to say. "I was at my place I wanted to pack some stuffs before going back to Andy's house but there was this paper on my coffee table. I was expecting something like that but I didn't want to believe it. I thought if I was staying out of my apartment the guy would not be able to get to me anymore but I was wrong."

The tension grew as Minwoo continued his story. The Shinhwa members were learning at the same time than the detectives what their friend had really gone through; and even if for now things were not too horrible, they knew it was coming.

"There was this paper with a link on it. I didn't know what it was about, but when I opened it there was this video about a girl being tortured by some man. I didn't want to believe it at the time... but it could only be him."

"Do you have proof of this ?" Questioned Lee and Minwoo shook his head.

"When I tried the link again it was gone."

"Why didn't you report it to the police ?"

The main dancer's eyes filled with tears. The other members felt a painful grip squeeze their chest at the sight, but they controlled themselves. Minwoo was having a hard time enough like that telling them everything. He did not need to see them cry as reaction.

"I couldn't" He croaked out heartbreakingly. "He would've hurt someone else if I had. And I couldn't let that happen again." His head snapped up to stare at the detectives. "I already hate myself for what he did to this girl what was I supposed to do ? Let him hurt another one just to let you know what had happened ? You wouldn't even have believed me !"

"You've not proof" Began Oh.

"I don't need them !" He snapped back, raw anger suddenly dancing in his dark teary eyes. "I know. I ing know, okay ?"

The emotions showing on Minwoo's face and heard in his voice shut everyone up; even this pretentious female detective.

"I endured months of his ing game. I know how he works ! You've no ing idea what he's capable of and I shouldn't even be telling you this."

Soaring panic suddenly assaulted the main dancer at such realization; and before anyone could react he was hyperventilating in the bed and mumbling nonsense.

Nurses came rushing in the room as soon as the machine went wild; and soon enough everyone was kicked out of the room to let them take care of Minwoo.

***

      Detective Oh and Lee decided to head back to the police station after being excused out of the room. There was no way the dancer would speak now and they rather investigate more than waste time at the hospital.

"So, you believe him ?" Asked Oh in a cold voice.

Looking over at the woman, Lee said. "Well, I'm not sure yet. But he looked sincere."

Oh scoffed at this then crossed her arms over her chest.

"By any chance, do you have any kind of bad feelings for Shinhwa ? You were hostile as soon as we got the case."

She glared at her partner before answering. "It's just it get on my nerves that celebrities thinks they're above the law just because they're famous. It's just like the Propofol scandal."

"You're exaggerating Oh. Lee Minwoo's case has nothing to do with the Propofol one."

Scoffing again, she sent him a sidelong look before saying. "You're being naïve, Lee. Or" A smirk formed on her lips before she added. "Are you one of these celebrities lapdogs ? I've never tagged you like one."

Lee clenched his fist at the insulting remark. "I'm not trying to protect him from something he did. I'm just saying we should keep our minds open and not jump on conclusions." He took a breath to calm down then added. "You saw like me how he reacted. There's something up Oh, and I want to find out what it is."

She eyed him far from friendly then said. "Let me tell you what's up." Lee raised his brows, waiting. "This guy just turned out to be a junkie and can't face the consequences. Who knows maybe the other ones are using too. We should investigate."

"Detective Oh" Tried Lee, flabbergasted.

"The blood test results were clear. He used illegal drugs, and if I remember well it's punished by law in our country." She looked at Lee and added. "Or maybe I missed the special mention for celebrities." She was overly sarcastic, which annoyed Lee; but he decided to shut up.

The elevator's door opening was the only opportunity Lee was waiting for to take some distance from his partner. Therefore, he rushed out of the cabin and headed outside the hospital, suddenly flared up by Oh's hasty judgment.

He could understand it was annoying when famous people were getting special treatments just because they had money and fame; but it did not mean they had to come up with precipitated conclusion. Mostly with a case like Lee Minwoo's.

Oh maybe did not want to see it; but there was something, and Lee would not let her screw someone's life just because she wanted personal satisfaction.



So...

Minwoo was finally found.

The others now knows what he went through -even if he didn't say everything yet-

Police's involved

One of the detective's a xD

You know what was on this video (and I hope you're not disappointed ^^)

-Yeah, I was feeling like checking where we were so far in the story lol-

 

A few questions were answered then... but don't hesitate to tell me if you're confused about anything or what you're wondering at this point in the story.

While writing I try to remember every little things I've left unanswered... but I don't have an unerring memory and I could forget stuffs. So don't hesitate to ask whatever you want.

It'll help me know if I'm good so far of if I've to clarify some things =)

 

Thanks to everyone. =D

 

To next time !