Chapter 24

Stalker

 

24

      It was seven in the morning when detective Lee drove to miss Gong's house. It was just outside of Seoul and easily accessible.

If not for traffic jam starting from six in the evening, the area was great.

The house was average looking, and when Lee pressed the call button on the intercom, nobody answered. He waited a minute before trying again.

Having still no answer, he wondered if the woman was sleeping or absent, but from the schedule they had she was supposed to be home at such time. At worst, the daughter would be awake and ready to leave for school, so it was surprising nobody answered him.

Pulling on his neck to look pass the fence and walls, he spotted no sign of life so decided to walk around the neighborhood in hope to find someone.

      Wandering in an empty street, he went back on his steps to ring the direct neighbor of miss Gong. A middle aged woman answered him and let him to the front door after hearing he was a detective.

"Excuse me ma'am, but I wanted to talk to miss Gong but I she don't seem to be at home right now."

"Huh ? But ChaeRin went overseas a few months ago. Her brother told me she'd an emergency and had to leave in a hurry."

Lee processed the new information then asked "What about her daughter ? Did she leave with her mother ?"

"Yes. She's such a lovely girl. So polite and beautiful. I hope everything's alright for her." Smiled the woman.

"By any chance, do you have an address or a phone number ? I've a few questions for her."

"Hum… no. But, ChaeRin doesn't have any troubles, does she ?" Worried the neighbor.

"No. Don't worry ma'am. It's just a routine questioning." He smiled back.

"Oh."

"Well. Thank you for your time ma'am, you've been a great help." He decided to cut short the conversation before the woman could become curious.

"You're welcome detective. It's been a pleasure, and I hope you'll be able to get in touch with ChaeRin."

Smiling, Lee greeted the neighbor then left.

 

***

 

      The last luggage was thrown in the car's trunk before the door was slammed shut under Eric's eyes. The leader could only watch as Minwoo packed his stuffs away for his trip to his hometown. The dancer had decided he needed some time away, and Eric could only understand after everything he had went through; but he could not help worry about the younger man.

Maybe because Minwoo was going to some isolate place on his own and Eric would not be able to watch over him -because he had to work- The leader had got used of protecting and caring for Minwoo; mostly after he had moved in with him.

So knowing he was leaving just like that for the countryside made him feel like he was letting his precious brother leave while knowing it could not be the safest to do at this right moment.

Not that Minwoo could not take care of himself nor get some time alone away from all the worries; but, even if the stalker was now in prison, Eric could not help worry about his friend.

It was a habit he would have to lose, and he knew it would not be easy; but he had no other choice than deal with it.

Minwoo was a grown up man perfectly capable to know what was good for him or not. The dancer deserved to relax and rest away from everything going on in Seoul, but Eric would have liked this to not happen so soon.

But at least the dancer was staying in Korea. He did not have much of a choice anyway considering Oh's investigation was still ongoing.

"Well, thanks for everything man. I'll call you when I'm there… but don't worry too much about me." Minwoo had a small smile on his lips as he hugged and patted Eric's back as goodbye.

"You welcome. But be careful Min…"

"Eric." Chuckled Minwoo who knew perfectly how the older man was feeling about his impromptu trip.

He had taken the decision in less than a week after all and was leaving just like that. He could understand the leader's feelings, but he desperately needed this alone time in his hometown. There was a few old people he knew there and could count on, but no one aware of his actual situation or scandal; which was exactly what he needed.

Some peace of mind.

His parents were a bit worried at first, but then they encouraged him to get some healing time and come back in shape.

Minwoo hoped he would feel better after his trip.

Not that he had doubts some time away from the memory and stressful environment would not help him. But one could never know for sure. Minwoo had became overly prudent since the events with his stalker; and he was not sure if he fancied this habit or not.

It helped him feel better when something was going south, but then a part of him was always worried about this or that.

Minwoo understood Hyesung better for the first time in his life.

"Fine." Sighed Eric before looking back at the dancer. "But call me some times to tell me you're alright."

Minwoo rolled his eyes and said "Eric."

"Fine !" Snapped back the leader. "But send me a message at least, and don't hesitate to call me if you need anything."

The main dancer was about to protest again but then softened and smiled. "Fine, I'll send you a message if I don't forget. But you better not harass me or I'll turn my phone off and you won't have any news !" He warned, knowing the older man would be capable of such thing.

"Fine." Growled back Eric far from pleased but knowing he would get nothing more from his friend.

Smiling stupidly, Minwoo patted Eric's arm then stepped to his car. "Well, I'll be on my way now. Tell the others I say hi if you got in touch with them."

"You didn't call them ?" Raised his brows Eric.

"Not everyone. I couldn't get in touch with Hyesung and Dongwan. Andy's out of the country but I'd him on KaKaoTalk."

"Well, I'll certainly see Hyesung later this week. He's supposed to come back from Taipei, isn't he ?"

"Don't know man." Chuckled Minwoo before opening the driver's door. "I've no idea what the others are doing lately."

Eric felt a bitter sting in his chest at the words, because it meant everything to him. Minwoo was not one to ignore what was going on around him excepted when he was not feeling right; and since the scandal the dancer was at his lowest.

"Be careful on the road." Said the leader as greeting, and smiling, Minwoo waved his hand and disappeared inside his car.

"Try to get some rest while I'm gone. I know I was a pain in the ."

"Don't say that…"

"I'll see you in a couple of weeks Eric." Cut off the dancer before starting the car.

With a sigh, the leader decided to just shut up and let his friend go. He did not have much of a choice anyway considering the car was already driving away.

***

      Minwoo's mind was at some times empty and at others assaulted by too many thoughts at once. That was when he was turning off the music to prevent the forming headache. Besides that, it seemed life was such a funny thing that at least every ten minutes or so there was a song reminding him stuffs he did not want and bringing emotions he rather avoid.

He was always in love with music, but at this right moment he was not sure if he hated it or not.

      He was still at fifteen minutes drive before leaving Seoul, and he could not wait to finally be away from so many traffic and noises. He could not stand the loud sounds filling his mind and hurting his head. He needed peace, and he knew his hometown would offer that.

The rented house was at ten minutes from his childhood's one, and he could not wait to arrive. The quietness was the main reason he was so impatient; the fact he already knew exactly where to go to relax something he was looking forward to.

It had been so long since he could be so close to nature, and frankly missed it.

 

      Not that he was expecting some grand arrival or luxurious house; but he was not expecting either how messy and abandoned it was. The lights were not working when he entered the old place, and the shutters drew let no clarity inside.

Minwoo tripped four times in only two seconds and almost broke his nose against a wall before eventually reaching the first window.

He could not believe how dusty it was in the house, nor how smelly it was. It made him grimace, and once the shutters up he was not surprised to find old looking furniture covered by dust and stuffs on the floor that were not supposed to be there.

He spotted the floor lamp lying across the lobby's entrance and identify it as the things that had almost made him crash face first against a wall.

When was the last time someone had stepped inside this house ?

Minwoo could not believe he had just rented something abandoned. But it looked good on the pictures, and the woman over the phone was nice. He was never informed he would find a dump at his arrival.

But it was okay. It could be worst, and it was nothing he would not be able to fix with some good old cleaning. It was not part of his plans to clean the house as soon as he was arrived, but he did not have a choice either.

If only he had not been in such a hurry and been more careful about the place he was renting.

But it was not that bad. Once everything would be cleaned and tidied, the house would looks great.

 

      When he was finally done, almost three hours later, the dancer's stomach was growling loudly over the music still playing and offering some kind of comfy feeling to Minwoo. Rubbing his abdomen, he was proud of himself when he looked up at the now neat living room.

He had not cleaned everything yet, and there was still rooms he needed to take care of. But it would do it for the time being. The living room was tidied and clean, the kitchen too as the bedroom he would use. He did not need more yet and would see later if he was feeling like clean the rest of the house.

Crashing on the couch, Minwoo felt exhausted and contend at the same time. It was so quiet around him, the stress he was victim of the past weeks no where to be found at the right moment. He did not know if it was because he had cleaned up for some long hours, be he was feeling great.

Wiping the sweat on his forehead with his sleeve, he realized he needed a shower, so he headed to the bathroom and opened the water.

But nothing happened.

"You've got to be kidding me." He breathed in an incredible grin.

What the hell had he rented ? He could not believe there was no more water. It had to be a joke.

In slight irritation, Minwoo stomped out of the house to the back and found what he was looking for, and without surprise the valve was so rusty that he could not turn it. If the valve was the problem in the first place.

"ing great." He cursed under his breath before kicking some dirt.

What was he supposed to do now ? He could not stay for weeks without a shower, and he needed one right now. Besides that, how would he cook, drink ?

He needed water.

      Therefore, he drove to the village in hope to find some help. Luckily for him, it was the middle of afternoon and people were around. He knew too well from a certain hour villagers were all at home and the streets were deserted.

It was how it worked in countryside, and it was exactly what he was looking for.

Entering the only garage around the area, he greeted the people on his way and asked for someone to help him with his house's valve.

People looked at him weirdly for a moment, and after introducing himself and telling them he had grew up here; everyone warmed up to him and welcomed him back as deserved.

The dancer was a bit uncomfortable when some villagers recognized him, but he was reassured when they did not seem to know about the scandal.

      So, four signs, a couple more pictures and several handshakes later, Minwoo was finally able to find the needed person to fix his problem at home. The elderly man was nice, even if a bit rude looking, Minwoo liked him.

He could remember the man from his childhood, and the main memory he had was of a rough looking man yelling after them after one of their numerous foolishness.

It was a good souvenir bringing a smile on the dancer's face.

"It'll take some time." Told him the man once in front of the valve, and with a nod Minwoo watched the man work.

But, as the elderly man had said, it took some time, and after a moment Minwoo got bored and informed he would be inside if he was needed. The man barely acknowledged him and kept working.

The main dancer did not mind the behavior and just went inside the house to rest a bit. He was still tired after his cleaning cession plus the drive to the village. He could not wait for night to be here.

He should be used to lack of sleep, but his nights were not that restful since the scandal and his brain was working all the time; exhausting him even when he was trying to sleep.

He was expecting a lot from his first night at his hometown; because since his arrival he was feeling more relaxed and appeased. It had been so long since he could feel like this, so he was sincerely looking forward to the night to come.

 

***

 

     With TaeChae's help, detective Lee spent the past week looking for Gong ChaeRin and her daughter's localization, but they could not find her.

They had called every airports, boat companies and hospitals possible but nothing came out of their investigation.

At this point, Lee became suspicious and decided to try again with Gong ChaeHun -even if the three previous times were fruitless- The detective had the hope to get something out of the man, even if it was just a facial expression or move of eyebrows. He just wanted to get something to know where all this was going.

      The drive to the prison was never agreeable, and seeing Gong's smirking face did nothing to improve his mood. Sitting across the table in front of the man, Lee did not waste time and told everything he knew and was suspecting about the man's sister and niece.

He had tried to get information the previous times, but Gong had refused to talk and just kept his arrogant act up. As if he did not care a bit about his own family.

But now, Lee knew more about the man's background and relationship with his sister, and he could not believe anymore the man was giving so little about the only persons he had left in his life.

The detective was not expecting anything when he started talking, but when he voiced the possibility both Gong's sister and niece could be dead, the man reacted. It was brief, but Lee noticed the way ChaeHun's face twisted and his eyes darkened in what could be qualified as pain or worry.

To be honest, he was a bit confused about the reaction, but when he tried to pry further, Gong lost patience and rose on his feet to leave. Lee tried to hold him back with words, promises or baits, but he was ignored.

"." He breathed before walking out of the room too.

The meeting left the detective with more questions than answers, and going back to the police station he knew he still had a lot of work to do to eventually get the truth behind all this mess.

 

***

 

      Mornings were always magical in the countryside, mostly for someone who had been so long away from the quietness and wilderness. There was only the noises of nature around Minwoo when he woke up and stepped outside, and he loved it.

At such peaceful moment, the smile on Minwoo's face was an innocent, grateful one he himself enjoyed. It had been so long since he could let go like this and just appreciate the right moment without fearing something bad would happen.

Inhaling, the fresh air filling his lungs finished to wake him up completely and gave him the needed energy to anticipate some jogging through the area.

Yesterday was reserved to laziness, and Minwoo could not believe he had slept and rested so much on his first day. He liked to be active and busy, but here he had slept through most of the day.

Which had not prevented him to sleep the following night. On the contrary, he had slept like a baby and was in a great mood this morning.

      Ready for a shower and breakfast, Minwoo was about to step back inside the house when he heard a noise he recognized immediately as a car's engine.

Frowning in confusion, he turned around.

He had no idea who could be coming, and at one point he even thought Eric was the one arriving because he had forgot to send him a message yesterday. The dancer himself could not believe the leader could be like this, and besides that he had work to do in Seoul.

So, who could be coming on this morning in the middle of nowhere ?

Such wonder made him panic slightly, because he could not forget this threat his stalker had been for almost a year. Minwoo had learnt to dread every unexpected event, and standing at the house's door on this peaceful morning such instinct kicked in.

Watching the black car pull in front of the house before coming to a stop, Minwoo his lips in growing anxiety and shifted his weight on his other foot.

Who could be there ?

The person exiting the vehicle was not someone he was expecting, and fear became overwhelming when detective Oh approached him with her hands in her pockets' coat. The dark look on her face doing nothing to appease him.

"You wanted to talk to me ?" She snapped once in front of him, and utterly confused, Minwoo thought for a second he was dreaming.

"What ?"



Here we go ^^

What do you think of the chapter ? Was it confusing ? Good ? A shame ?

What do you think's going on ?

I'll really like to read your thoughts xD

 

Anyway, I only have two chapters and a half written left... so I need to get to work and write the rest xD. I've been distracted by new projects and didn't write much Stalker lately. But it's not like I didn't know where I'm going nor I didn't know what I want to write. It's just I'm getting lazy and feels like : 

"oh... I don't want to write about stalker today"

*pout like a five years old*

"Let's write about a new fanfic !"

*Excitedly starts writing about something else*

Meanwhile, my Inner voice's being like :

'You should be working on the end of stalker.'

'What are you gonna do if you end up with no more chapter ?'

' You'll have to write them in a hurry and maybe lose your motivation.'

'So get your lazy where it belongs and work on stalker !!!'

 

Sorry for this little... ahem... Well, I'm in a good mood so I'm writing stuffs nobody cares about xD

 

Anyway, thank you everyone as always.

 

To next time !