New Expectations

Different

"Mom, it isn't such a big deal." I grunted on the couch.

"It is a very big deal Kyungsoo. How come you never told me you had a boyfriend? Let alone being gay?"

I said with a little anger in my veins. "He just made me feel different. I really like him and I want to keep our relationship. And what's so wrong with being gay?"

"I never said there was anything wrong with it. What's his name?"

"Kim Jongin," I said smiling at the thought of him.

"I want to meet him tomorrow. Also ask for his parents to come."

My body froze at the mention of his parents.

"His parents uh, left him." I looked down at my lap.

My mother covered with her hand. "Oh dear! I'm very sorry. Please forget that I mentioned that."

"It's fine." I puffed out my cheeks.

There was a long silence.

 

"Please invite him over tomorrow though." My mom said while standing up and brushing over her lap.

 

 

There was no sign of Jongin anywhere in the morning again. Even if it's been one week together. I got him cookies too. I wanted to celebrate by hanging out together all day. What now?

I was about to ask another student again when I found him hanging with a group of people. 

They were writing something on the school walls while girls from the windows above watched. They all took pictures. I bet they're getting close ups of all the guys, especially my Jongin. I saw what was in their hands. Black permanent marker..

"Hi Jongin. It's Kyungso-."

"Yeah hi. Sorry Kyungsoo but can you give me a second?" Jongin interrupted. He talked like he was in a rush.

"Oh! O-Of course." I stepped back a few steps. He sounds annoyed.

I waited for a minute or two. I know I shouldn't get into their business so I didn't look at anything. I decided it was the time to ask.

"Jongin? I need t-"

"Can you just leave Kyungsoo?"

Leave.

Leave.

Leave.

I ran away from them and rushed inside my first class. I plopped down into my desk and covered my face with my arms. A million thoughts running through my head. Leave? What did he mean by leave? Was it because I asked about his parents that day?

 

-Flashback-

 

"Jongin, people say you get your looks from your parents. Do you think so too?" I asked as he was writing on a piece of paper. We were partners for a project during class so we could spend time together more. I've heard communication is one of the key points in a strong relationship.

His lead pencil stopped moving when I said the word 'parents'. He didn't even look up at me to answer. "I don't know."

"Oh. By the way, can I meet them?"

The lead in the pencil snapped. He clicked back some lead while he breathed out a frustrated sigh. "You can't."

I tilted my head. "Why not?" He looked me in the eye, really dead serious.

"They left me. Alone. I have no idea where they are. End of story. Don't ask anymore."

He went back to writing. His knuckles turned white as he gripped the pencil tighter. He looked more focused than ever. I held his hand on the desk hoping it would make him feel better. He stayed silent.

 

-Flashback ends-

 

That must be why he's mad. He hasn't been talking to me lately. I regret and don't regret asking about his parents. I regret it because I may have reminded him of something he hates to think about. Everytime I see him mad or sad, it makes me wonder: Did I do it? But I don't regret it because now I know something I wouldn't have known without asking. And if I didn't ask, then our relationship would have taken a different path. Might even lead to break up. Does he even remember that's it's been one week? I felt like throwing my cookies away, but I decided to keep them.

 

 

The whole day I've been ignoring Jongin. Like he said, leave. So I stopped talking to him. It's been hard. There were so many moments where I wanted to talk to him. But I had to resist. He even knew I was trying to avoid him. For example, during lunch period he was sitting at a different table. I accidentally glanced at him. When he saw, he bit his lip and winked at me. He such a freakin' immature tease. In response, I gave him a dirty look and turned back around. Now I kinda know why girls fall for his looks. He smirked and turned back to his friends.

I walked out of school as the last bell rang. I heard the sound of snaps from phones. I turned around to see people gathering around a mural on one of the school walls. I heard many "Awww"s and "How cute"s. The only time I've heard that is that one time Luhan went to an adult party with the group.

I ran over to see the wall covered in music notes. Some black and some white. Then in the center was K + J in a cursive lettering. Both letters had a small white heart in them. As I got closer I saw Jongin in a black button up with black jeans and black and white converse. Probably the only formal things he has euheuh. He was holding a small bouqet of daisies.

When Jongin saw me he yelled, "EVERYBODY! PLEASE CLEAR THIS AREA. THIS ISN'T AN ART SHOW. LEAVE." He smiled widely.

Everybody went off out of the gates of school and went home. Jongin looked at me and smiled the warmest smile I have seen. He handed me the flowers. "Happy one week. For you, Kyungsoo."

"Thank you Jongin," I stared at the flowers. There were seven. Seven white daisies. Suddenly he moved the daisies out of my vision and brushed my face with his hand. I looked up at him to see his cheeks a crimson color. His lips pressed onto mine and I could feel him smile in the kiss.

He put his arms around my waist and seprated our faces.

Since I knew he was go to say something, I wanted to change things so I spoke up first.

"You're mine, Kim Jongin."

 

"And I expect you to stay by my side for the longest time, Do Kyungsoo."