‘Bestfriends’

In the winter heart

I woke up slowly opening my eyes. It was almost dark in the room but I knew it was late morning. I look at the ceiling and it wasn’t blue, like in my room. Then looking at the room I realise I didn’t know where I was. I ruffled my hair wondering where I am. Last night I remember I watched a movie with Minho. Then? Probably I am in his room. I went to look in the mirror in his bathroom and then I exited. The living room was quiet. I look at the clock and I was right. It was already 9.33am. I am not a morning person.

I could sense a wonderful smell coming from the kitchen and headed there. I opened slowly the door and stopped in the door frame. Minho was cooking with his blue apron on. I smiled and crossed my arms.

“Good morning.” I whispered. He jumped a bit, scared.

“Ah. You are up. Good morning.” He said smiling. I suppress a yawn and went closer.

“Isn’t my turn to cook?” I asked and he shacked his head.

“Did you slept well in my room?” he asked still working with the pan.

“Was that your room?” I asked surprised.                   

“Why didn’t you wake me up and send me home last night?” I asked looking at the pan.

“So, did you slept well in my room?” he kept asking.

“Minho, where did you sleep? I hope not on the sofa!” I asked startled.

“No. I slept in other room, don’t worry. I put you there because I hadn’t prepared the bed before take you there. Take a sit. The breakfast is ready.”

We eat talking about the movie we saw last night and Minho laughed when I told him I didn’t saw the end. Although he didn’t tell me how it ended. I don’t know why but he didn’t want to tell me.

“We should go and buy today some CD movies. We can watch one or two movies tonight again.” He told me when we drink our coffee.

“Sounds great. But, Minho I am sorry for fall asleep last night.” I told him and blushed. It was pretty embarrassing.

“Don’t worry. It’s ok. Besides, you look very beautiful sleeping on my shoulder.” He smiled and winked. Did he just wink at me?

“Oh my god! I sleep on your shoulder?” I asked alarmed covering my mouth with both my palms.

“So, are we going to buy CDs today?” I nodded.

“First I need to go home and change my clothes and maybe a shower.” I said looking down at me feeling like I need to take a shower urgently.

“You can take a shower here. And I can give you some clothes. I have lots of them. Just go and search in the closet. You can take whatever you like. I don’t mind. And for the shower, you can find some towels in the small locker in the bathroom. The one above the sink. I look at him and didn’t know what to say.

“I want to go home and change. Besides your cloths are bigger. I am... thinner.” I said and his shoulders fall.

“Ok. If you insist to go home. “ he shrugged his shoulders but I could tell he is sad. Is he trying to hold me here, in his house? With him?

“Hey, what about you come and eat lunch there? And I can prepare something for us after I finish bath.” After I said that his face lighted up.

“S-sounds great.” He stuttered and he took his elbow in his other hand. Is he embarrassed? I guess...

“Then are you coming around 12?” I asked taking a step closer. He nodded.

“Isn’t too early? Around 1pm?” I shacked my head.

“Twelve. Please be there at 12.” I said and he nodded.

“I’ll prepare something good and ...” I turned to face him. He was following me to the door. I took my jacket from the back of the sofa and we were not face to face. A few inches away. I smiled trying to show my best smile.

“Don’t get late.” I whispered. I don’t want to make him wait till he sees me again. I must stay as close to him as I can.

“Bye Minho.”

 

When Taemin left I took my phone and called Onew. I must tell him I will return to the resort tomorrow and not today like I planned.

“Hello, Onew do you hear me?” I said when his voice sounded slow.

“Mi_ I can’t he_  _u. He_ hey! Hel_ooo?” I heard him in the phone.

“Onew move, you don’t have enough signal.”

“Minho, do you hear me now?”

“Yeah. What’s up Onew? How is there? Everything alright?” I asked and Onew told me how are the constructions are going.

“Look, I will not come back today.” I told him.

“What? Why? But you said you’ll be back tonight. What happened?” he asked I sighed.

“And by the way, did you talk to Taemin? Did you meet him? If you know his address go there and talk to him Minho.” He told me and I shacked my head.

“I talk to him. That’s why I don’t want to come there. I will stay here. And talk to him. I meet him last night and we talk. And I will meet with him today too.”

“Ah... how did it go? Is he alright? Did you two fight? I hope you didn’t beat him. I will be disappointed on you if you hit him.”  he told me and I laughed biting my lips.

“Ah... yeah. Unfortunately I gave him a ... big punch.” I said and closed my eyes waiting for Onew to scold me.

“Why did you do that? Minho, poor boy.”

“He wanted to run from me and I drag him back and just hit him on the face. I said I am sorry and helped him with ice.” I told Onew and avoid to tell him how we kiss. Two times!

“I feel pity for him. And knowing you, you almost broke his cheek, right?”

“Kind... of... I took him home and gave him some ice. But let’s not talk about this. The problem is I won’t come today at the resort. Is there Mr. Wo?”

“Nope, he will come tomorrow night. If you are not coming tonight, you are gonna miss the party Minho.” He told me and I shrugged my shoulder thinking how good I will feel with Taemin watching the movies we are going to buy today.

“It’s ok. I will come tomorrow. I will be there before the meeting at 2pm starts.”

“Whatever you want. But still, the party...” I interrupt him.

“I don’t care about the party Onew. You know I want to stay here with Taemin and talk to him. I will tell you everything tomorrow.” I said and after that we ended the talk.

  I sighed and landed in my sofa. Opening my phone I look at the picture I use as wallpaper. It was a picture of Taemin. I took it with my phone when we were out one late evening at the resort and he wasn’t looking. We were in the center of the resort and Taemin was between the Christmas lights on the street. He looked so beautiful.

I am so excited about today. I’ll go shopping with Taemin and then come home and watch movies, laugh and have a great time together. Yeah, this is definitely what good friends do. I am starting well. Go shopping with him, but first eat lunch in his house, then after the shopping come here. Should I buy a bottle of wine for us? We can have a cup tonight too. Yeah, this would be nice.

And watching my wrist watch I saw it was almost 11am and I’m gonna be late if I don’t hurry and take a shower and then go to Taemin. 

 

The afternoon was great. I took a shower and prepare something to eat. Minho came right after I finished the food and we stay for a few minutes talking on the sofa before go and eat. He was really surprised by my cooking abilities but I know I am not a good cooker. He is better than me and I told him. He rejected the idea and told me I am better, but everyone knows he is the good one. I am just cooking when I necessary need it.

He jumped when I sustained my idea of him being the good cooker and he tickled me.

“Yah, let me go... ahhahaha... Minho.” I laughed falling back on the sofa with Minho tickling me.

“Stop it Minho. Na...ahahaha...” I laugh and he pinned my arms above my head looking down still standing in his foots and stopped. He was trying to hold me still with his knee on my hip and his other foot on the ground. He sat then on the armchair and I got up.

“Don’t tickle me again. I don’t like it.” I said between pants. Thank god he didn’t let himself all over me because that would be a problem. He would be too close and I don’t know if I could myself stop from kiss him.

“Let’s go out.” He abruptly said. I turned to look at him.

“I’ll buy you a chocolate.” He smiled and I nodded. I took my jacket and we left. We walk almost all evening. After we buy three CDs with horror movies we came back. Of course he buy me a chocolate like he promised but I gave him too. He seems to like chocolate.

We came back in his apartment very late. It was already dark but it wasn’t cold outside. I expected to be colder since it was just February.

“I was thinking we should order pizza.” He told me opening his jacket revealing his white shirt. Why did he dress in a shirt and black trousers when he is not going to office? I watched him as he opened his sleeves and tie them right about his elbow to feel more comfortable. I smiled. He look at me and come closer. I took a step back and hit with the back of my legs the small table. Why does he have this strange look in his eyes? he looked like a hungry lion. I narrowed my eyes and he took another step closer.

“Where are you going?” he asked finally smiling and with a weird look in his eyes, eyeing me deeply. I felt blushing and his face changed. He embraced me and I put my chin on his shoulder.

“Taemin... let’s be good friends. Let’s be best friends. That’s all I can offer you now.” He told me in a whispered voice. I just look at the window, outside at the dark sky.

“Ok. Let’s be good friends.” I wanted to add more than what I said but I couldn’t. I felt stuck with my words on my lips.

“So... tomorrow morning I have to go back to the resort. Are you coming with me?” he asked letting me go. I shacked my head.

“I can’t. I have some legal stuff to do here. I am not coming. Besides I don’t want to.”

“Umm, ok. But I have to go tomorrow. Since it’s Thursday I will come back Friday evening. Is ok?” he asked and I nodded.

“I’ll feel very lonely here.” I mumbled and hoped he didn’t heard me but he did.”What? ok, then I’ll come back tomorrow evening and stay with you till Friday morning. I have Friday a meeting and I can’t miss it, but I’ll come back.”

“No. Please don’t. it will only make you waste your time to come and go. Stay there.” I told him shaking his shoulder.

“It’s ok Taemin. I’ll come and go.”

“No, Minho. Stay there.” 

 

I arrived at the resort this morning and I am very tired. The road had lots of snow and icy places. I am very tired. Last night I stayed late with Taemin and watched that movie we buy. He didn’t slept on my shoulder like last night but I liked him being sleepy, and before leave my house he was so sleepy and cute. And late, around 1am he finally went to his house.  I told him to stay and sleep in one of my rooms but he insisted to go home. Well I took him till his door and then left.

The meeting this evening was boring and took about 5 hours. I am very hungry too. I already told Mr. Wo about this issue. The owner of the building is a very strange person and likes to change often his mind. Now he wants other changes in the plans for reconstruction and this will give us more time to work, also make the time for reconstruction last longer. It’s not fair. I worked so hard in this project and he keeps changing his mind. But most of all, Onew worked really hard and it’s not fair for him. I am still an apprentice and this all change-mind makes me tired.

Finally when the meeting was over I ran out of there as soon as I could. Onew called me latter and I was in my room. We planned to meet and have dinner latter, and now I am waiting for him to come in this little restaurant. Unfortunately I won’t have time to go back to Seoul as I promised, well not promised but wanted to go back and stay with Taemin. I hope my plan work. I am planning to spend as much time as I can with Taemin and became good friends. That’s all I can do. I want to be his friend. I really like him and because he’s not a woman I can’t let my heart fall for a boy, so I am trying to direct my feelings to brotherly feelings. And I can do this if I will be with Taemin doing what good friends do. Like watch a movie, play football and other things. I must take him to a soccer play next time I see him.

“Hey, MinHo.” Onew came and greeted me happy. I smiled seeing him so happy and closed my work papers and maps.

“Onew. How are you?” he nodded taking the seat in front of me.

“I am fine, thanks. You look tired MinHo. Something wrong?” he asked furrowing his eyebrows. I shacked my head.

“I’m fine. Just  very tired. These long meeting are killing me. I don’t like longs talk and when we don’t have a little pause in almost 5 hours made me lose the concentration.” I told him rubbing my eyes. I bet they are already red.

“You should exit and take a break. You know no one stops you.” He told me and the waitress came. We ordered and I started to tell Onew about my plans.

“I am going to be his best friend. It’s the only thing I can do. I am really .... look, I do care for him and I want to stay by his side. I don’t like when I end a friendship. Because of all, this started as a friendship. If I liked him more it’s my fault. Oops, my bad, am I right Onew?”

“I don’t know what to say Minho. Just be careful. I don’t want you or even Taemin get hurt. I don’t like to see you hurt, Minho.” He told me and I remain silent looking at him. My dessert was almost melting in my hand.

“I am not trying to hurt Taemin, if that’s what you are thinking. I am... I can’t offer him more than my sincere friendship.”

“I know. About your sincere friendship. But your heart wants more. That’s obvious.”

I shacked my head.

“No way. I can’t offer him more and my heart doesn’t want more form him. I like him because he is a good kid.” I said and Onew’s smile was a smile full of I-know-that’s-not-what-you-mean.

“Minho. Face it. You like Taemin more than a good friend. You actually are in love with him. Aren’t I right?”

“No. Onew. I was in love when I thought he is a she. And he is a HE now. I am not in love anymore. I do accept that I was almost deeply in love when I thought he was a woman. But now I changed my feeling. He is my donsaeng and I am his hyung. We are good friends.” Onew only look at me and I could swear I saw pity in his eyes. That hurt, Onew!

“I can’t believe you are saying this, Minho. You can’t change your feeling each day. If you were in love with Taemin being a woman, now you are n love with him being a man. You can’t just change like that. At least not in a few days. Maybe after a time I could believe you feel just friendship, but don’t come and tell me today you like Taemin like a friend after yesterday you were head over heels for him.” I sighed what could I tell him to convince him.

I really do like Taemin like a friend and nothing more.

~

It was a beautiful morning and I smiled wide when I small sun ray covered my sleepy eyes. I jumped from  my bed and threw the blanket on the floor. I have to call Taemin. It was Friday and tonight I will go to Seoul. Tomorrow we can meet and play some football like good buddies do, right?

I took my phone and stopped for a second to admire my wallpaper. Then dialled his number.

“Taemin! Good morning sleepy head!” I said and he mumbled some good morning.

“Look, tonight I am coming to Seoul. I was thinking ... what if we go and play some soccer tomorrow? If the weather is  ok. Today is sunny here. I can see the snow smiling under the sun rays.” I waited for his reply. When I left Thursday Seoul there wasn’t snow and if tomorrow will be sunny like here, we can easily play some football. I always liked soccer. It’s my favourite sport. It will be nice to play it with Taemin.

“Ok. We can play. Yesterday was very sunny here too. And I bet today will be too.”  I heard him telling me. I smiled nodding.

“Perfect. Ok, so today I’ll be there around 5pm and we can meet and have dinner?”

“Ahmmmm....” he said sleeping.

“Hey, wake up. it’s already 9am. “ I said in a soft voice but with a bit of scolding.

“I willllllllll...” he said sleepy.

“Ok. Then I’ll call you later. Bye Taemin.”