Eight

Let Me Read Your Mind
 || CHAPTER EIGHT || Heart-to-heart

Now here we are, so close yet so far.

 

{Baekhyun}

“Jihae! Jihae!” I call for her but she doesn’t look back. “Dude you were too much.” I say to Luhan.

The boy ruffles his hair in annoyance as he says, “How was I supposed to know that she would be that pissed?”

“Who in the world would like others to mention about their abandonment?” I reply, deeply stunned that Luhan couldn’t even comprehend such a simple thing. But when I see Luhan slowly fixing gaze at me with a peculiar look, I know I had once again said something that I shouldn’t have.

“How did you know she was abandoned?” Luhan asks me. “I merely mentioned someone being left at the doorstep.”

“She told me about it before.” I quickly attempt to cover up.

I watch Luhan eye me with a doubtful gaze. “She told you? She never talks about it to anyone outside of our family.”

I shrug my shoulders. And before he can continue questioning me, I quickly change the subject. “I’ll go find her Luhan.” I say and quickly dash out of the house.

 

A quick read on the passers-by’s minds indicates to me the direction Jihae left in. I waste no time as I run as fast as I can to the nearby park where she is at. I look everywhere for her but apparently no one has seen her around here.

I run over to the sand which separates the grass from the sea. The salty breeze brushes at me as I fling my head around desperately, trying to spot the girl in the white uniform. If only I can read her mind, if only I can access her thoughts, if only I know where she is.

And then a crazy thought hits me when some sea water splashes at my hand. What if she committed suicide? She won’t do that will she? Without thinking twice, I walk slowly into the waters, my hands flinging about. The sea level rises until it’s almost at my waist but I don’t stop. Because I know if she really does die, the guilt will kill me.

 

“Baekhyun?” It’s only after a few moments later that a voice calls me back to sanity. “Baekhyun what are you doing?”

I turn around, and see Jihae standing at the shore in one piece. A smile immediately finds its way onto my countenance and I hurriedly come out of the waters. I walk up to her and my arms encircle her shoulders. I am actually hugging her.

“What are you doing?” Jihae pushes me away.

“I-I thought you’d try to kill yourself…” I answer and I realise how rash I was earlier on that I just dumbly entered the sea without thinking straight.

“Why would I do such a stupid thing?” She laughs. “You were trying to save me?” I nod. “Thank you Baekhyun.”

“No problem.” I smile back at her.

“Thank you for everything Baekhyun. For being there when I needed you. For being a friend.” She says. So she does see me as a friend. “Even just now you knew when to shut up but my stupid brother just kept laughing.”

“Don’t blame Luhan. He’s just a little insensitive.” I offer her some comfort but I know it'll do little to suffice for the pain he has caused her.

“No don’t get me wrong. I never blamed him. He’s right after all. That room isn’t even supposed to be mine. I’m adopted you know.” She reveals to me what I already know since I met Luhan but I just fake a shocked expression.

 

“Shocking right? People say we are so alike.” She continues. This time I am really taken aback. “Not like look alike but like our personalities are similar.”

“Really? But I feel like you two are so different.” I say honestly.

“You think so too?” Jihae smiles.

“Yea. Luhan’s just so open and direct. You’re more reserved and intuitive.” I tell her. “And I like it.”

“You’re too nice Baekhyun. No wonder all the girls like you so much haha.” She jokes, making me cower my head in embarrassment.

 

Just then my phone beeps.

Luhan: Baekhyun! Have you found Jihae? Is she okay?

I am about to type a reply when Jihae holds on to my wrist. “Is that my brother?” She asks. “It is isn’t it?” I nod.

Luhan: Tell her I’m sorry okay.

 

“Why don’t we just go back Jihae? Luhan seems to be dead worried.” I say. Jihae bites her lip and seems to be contemplating something. Finally she replies, “Can we go your house instead?”

“M-my house?”

“If it’s okay with you…” She puffs her cheeks and looks up at me. “I mean you’ve been over at mine god knows how many times right?”

“Okay then.” I agree without thinking much about what may happen and I'm about to regret later.

“Really?” She seems to be really happy.

“Yea why not.” I smile back at her. My phone suddenly sounds. I fish it out, only to see Luhan’s incoming call.

 

“BAEKHYUN!” The voice rings from my ear piece after I pick up the call. “Have you found her? Is she okay? Omigod her phone isn’t switched on and I can’t contact her please tell me you have!”

“Well, I—” I want to tell Luhan to calm down and that Jihae is fine. But then Jihae shoots me a look and the slight shake of her head tells me that she doesn’t want me to reveal about her whereabouts.

“I haven’t found her yet but I’ll keep looking Luhan. Don’t worry okay.” I tell Luhan, quickly reading his mind to make sure he doesn’t suspect anything. And he doesn’t.

“Okay. Tell me immediately when you have okay?” His voice trembles.

“Sure.” I reply before ending the call.

 

I turn to Jihae and see relief washing over her. “Why don’t you want Luhan to know?”

“I-I…”

“Its fine, you don’t have to explain.” I stop questioning her.

“Thanks Baekhyun. Really.” She thanks me once again.

“You’re welcome.” I say as we begin walking to my house which is only about a fifteen minutes’ walk from over here.

And when I look over at her once again, a thought crosses my mind. Or rather a mission. Don’t worry, I’ll protect you Jihae.

 

Jihae gawks in amazement the moment I stop at the foot of my house, just before the tall metal gates. “This is your house?” She asks. I nod in reply, a smile tugging on my lips because her realisation is adorably cute. “Woah I didn’t know you were so rich Baekhyun!”

With a click on my automated key, the gates swing open. I smile at her and gesture for her to enter the mansion. Her jaw remains agape as she looks around my house, eyes widening every time she comes across some piece of antique item.

“You like antique stuff?” I ask her.

“Not particularly, but I just think they’re really beautiful.” Her hands touching a vintage pocket watch lying on the shelves.

“You like it?”

Jihae jumps back and her hands quickly break contact with the watch. Her eyes dodge around as though she knows she’s in the wrong or something.

 

“It was my mom’s you know. She always had a thing for antiques.” I tell her.

“You mean it isn’t hers anymore?” Jihae looks at me with puzzlement.

“She’s dead.”

Her eyes widen. “I’m sorry. I-I didn’t mean to—”

“Nah it’s okay, you didn’t know.” I smile at her. I didn't know why I even mentioned that since Inever liked bringing up the subject about my deceased parents. The bad memories still haunt me till this day. I quickly try to change the subject. “So...what’s the reason behind you wanting to come to my house?”

“I don’t know. I just don’t wanna go back home.” She answers honestly.

“So what is my house? The place you take refuge at?” I had meant it as a joke kind of question but somehow the words came out wrong. And I can tell Jihae is slightly frightened.

“I’m sorry, I only meant it as a joke.” I laugh, but even that does little to lessen the tension that has built up.

“I think I’ll just go…” Jihae says as she picks up her bag. But I hold on to her hand and pull her back.

“No! Don’t!” I quickly let go of her hand the moment she attempts to fling it off.

“I shouldn’t have come here in the first place. I'm being such a burden.” She says. “I don’t even know why I suggested to come here omigod I think I’m mad.”

“No you’re not—”

“And why did you even say yes Baekhyun?” She looks at me. “Or am I just another stupid girl that gets lured to your house and you hook up with afterwards?”

“WHAT? Is that how you see me as? Some playboy that is toying with you?” I find myself shouting, angered by the fact that that is how she thinks of me.

“YES! Because you are too nice to me! You’re always there when I need help and everything is just too good to be true!” Jihae shouts back.

“Then have you ever thought for a second that it’s because I like you?” I say softly, almost inaudibly. But when I see her flabbergasted expression, I know she heard it. Damn it.

Ooh haha things getting exciting here LOL xD I'd love to see some comments really that way I will know whether this writing pace is okay or not! Even if you're an old reader, I'd really appreciate if you drop by with a 'hello' haha xD okay im just being weird here :P btw, I made a new trailer if you'd like to check it out its in the foreword :3

EDITED ON 23/11/14