Fifteen

Let Me Read Your Mind
 || CHAPTER FIFTEEN || Revelation

Hiding won't hide it, smiling won't hide it.

 

 

{Baekhyun}

I see the bewilderment swarming on Jihae’s face. My face depicts more of a curious demeanour rather than confusion. Because the Head is right to a very large extent. I have been keeping many things from her.

“Baekhyun?” I hear her voice. But I don’t reply to her, I have more important things to ask.

I look up and make full eye contact with the Head. This man that is responsible for the death of my parents. Responsible for all the pain and suffering. Even staring at him is unbearable but I don’t look away.

 

“You know don’t you?” I ask. “You know her power.”

He smiles at me. “Well of course I do. I know everything.”

“Tell me.” My voice is loud and stern. But I know even that can never scare him.

He sits back in his chair, a crooked smile emerging on his countenance. He dares me, “why don’t you read my mind?’

A sudden burst of pain shoots me in my temple. Memories flow back to me even at the thought of it and I quickly divert my gaze from him. He knows my weakness. He knows I’d never dare to enter that filthy mind of his. Not after what he has done.

“Scared aren’t you?” He snickers, “you’re weak Baekhyun. Just like the rest of your family.”

 

My fingers fold back into an angry clench. You have to do this. I encourage myself. It is the only way. I sigh inwardly. Biting my lower lip, a mental image of the Head formulates itself in my head.

AHHHHHHHH!

An ear piercing scream bounces within my head. The voice is unmistakably from my mom. What follows next is a series of images that portray my brother being tortured with chains. The pain is too much and I quickly back out of his nasty mind. Venturing further will only bring forth more mental torture.

I look up at him, a smug expression plastered on his face. He must be thinking of those thoughts on purpose, rendering me helpless. There is no way I can dig deeper into his past thoughts if I can’t get past the current ones.

 

“Give up?” He challenges. “I knew you would.”

“Omigod I can’t take this anymore will either of you please tell me what in the world is going on here? What do you mean by my ‘power’? And why the heck is he asking you to read his mind?” Jihae turns to look at me.

“You’re a mutant.” The Head finally says. “One of us.”

Jihae’s jaw drops open but no words come out. She looks at me for signs of confirmation. I don’t say anything but just a reassuring nod.

“You’re someone that possesses a very special gift. You’re different from other people.” He continues speaking. “Just like all of us here.” He then gestures towards the other people from his pack.

“And what might your gift be for instance?” Jihae is laughing as though she isn’t taking any of this seriously. As if it’s all part of some big prank. How I wished it is the case. But I know better than that.

 

The Head grins before turning towards me. Something flashes in his eyes before his hand reaches out in my direction. He’s muttering something. And before I know it I’m slapping myself.

He’s controlling me. That thought bursts into my head. It has been a while since he got inside my head. I try to resist but my limbs aren’t listening to my own instructions. They’re listening to his.

“Stop! Stop! Whatever you’re doing to him stop!” Jihae is screaming as she comes closer to me. I try to say the words go away. I try to warn her that now with my mind being controlled by someone else, I’m capable of hurting her.

But the moment she touches my hand, the moment her skin comes into contact with mine, I feel the power of control disappearing from me. When I see the Head smiling, I know it must just be coincidence. That Jihae probably touched me at the exact point when he left my head.

 

“What were you doing to him? You’re a freak!” Jihae hollers as he eyes dart around in sheer distress.

“Excuse me, but little girl that’s my amazing power of mind control.” He says. “Now you believe me don’t you?”

“What?” Jihae looks more confused and scared than ever.

“And your boyfriend there has the power of mind reading.” The Head continues.

Just then, Jihae drops her gaze on the Head and turns to face me. “Y-you can read minds?” Her eyes widen and I feel her grip leaving my hand. A shudder of fear crosses her as she says, “You know everything I’m thinking?” She points at her temple.

“Sadly no.” I say.

“Sadly? What are you some kind of messed up ert? Why would you want to read everyone’s mind?” Jihae questions me.

“Well some time you don’t really have a choice.” I defend myself.

“You really can?” She asks. “Luhan’s, Sooyeon’s, even these people’s?”

I nod back.

“Prove it.” She’s half laughing again.

“Well Luhan is extremely worried right now and is searching the whole neighbourhood for you with both our bags.” I say after doing a check on Luhan’s mind.

“You’re lying.” She says so softly I almost can’t catch it.

“Do I look like I’m lying to you?”

“Yes you do! In fact you are all lying. The Head, whoever you are just said a bunch of crap. All these aren’t real. It’s just a dream. I’m just having a really bad nightmare and I’m going to wake up any second.” Jihae seems to be denying reality.

 

I hear the Head’s laughter and turn my gaze back to him. “Think about it Jihae. Haven’t you ever felt different? Like you don’t belong in the normal human race?”

“Well I definitely do not belong here with you creepy weirdos!” She shouts.

“Or what about your parents?” He asks.

Her expression changes instantaneously. “Y-you…know about m-my parents?” I can hear the cracks in her voice, even her volume drops.

“Like I said I know everything.”

“Then bring me to them! Now!” Jihae shrieks, her voice hoarse as though she might burst into tears any moment now. I wrap my hands around hers, trying to calm her down but she just flings it off.

“You’d really thing I’ll do that? Do you not know who I am? I’m not ‘the nice guy’ you meet in the park Jihae.” The Head smirks.

 

“What do you want?” She stares at him with a deadly glare.

“I want you to join us.” He says.

“No!” I interfere immediately. There is no way I’m letting Jihae go with these guys.

“Why do you want me anyway?” Jihae asks, as though she really does consider the deal.

“Because you have very valuable gifts. You have the power of protection.” The Head finally reveals the truth. “There’s a reason why Baekhyun can’t read your mind. Or why I haven’t chose to control you altogether. And the reason is because you are immune to any mutant power.”

 

Hearing these answers are both relieving and at the same time, shocking. My queries have finally been answered. I now know why I’m unable to read her mind. I look at Jihae, who seems to be caught up in her own state of trance.

“Why should I believe you?” She asks after a momentary period of silence.

“Well ultimately the choice lies with you.” The Head says. “So what is your decision?”

I am about to answer but Jihae beats me to reply, “What if I don’t agree?”

“Why if we have to go down that route,” the Head pauses, “if we can’t have you, no one else can.”

I've had more comments for the past two updates as compared to the others lmao xD hehe grateful for your cute comments <3

EDITED ON 28/10/14