Ten

Let Me Read Your Mind
 || CHAPTER TEN|| Unspoken 

If I would have known you wanted me the way I wanted you.

 

{Baekhyun}

I’m sorry Jihae. I’m so so sorry. I whisper within. I feel her gaze pinning on me at times as we trail down the path back to her house. Just as she isn’t looking, I take a quick look at her wound. The guilty pangs immediately gets to me. Forget about trying to protect her, my presence is the one bringing her all the harm.

And because of how much a coward I am, I don’t even dare to reveal the truth to her. Because I know if I do, she will be in twice as much danger as she is in now. I don’t even have the guts to tell her how worried I was and how glad I am that she’s safe.

 

“Thank you.” Jihae says. “Thank you for being there Baekhyun.”

I don’t turn around to look at her, because I know if I do I won’t be able to make my reply one bit convincible. The remorse biting at my conscience would have given me out.

“Just stay away from me next time.” I mutter heartlessly. Even though I’m not facing her, I can see from the side of my eyes that the corner of Jihae’s lip is curving downwards into a disappointed grimace.

As much as I didn’t want to say that, I knew it had to be done. It’s for her own good and perhaps for my own too. I knew I shouldn’t have let this gone too far. I shouldn’t have liked her. I should have just stayed away.

 

Jihae remains silent for the rest of our journey. And I can’t help but ponder what exactly is on her mind. Probably phrases like I hate Byun Baekhyun or Baekhyun is such a jerk would echo in my mind if I had the ability to access her thoughts.

It was such a close call. The whole incident earlier. If I hadn’t done a check through the neighbourhood just moments after she left my house, the consequences would have been dire.

This incident has only confirmed one of my worst nightmares. They have been checking up on me. Indeed I knew that taking away my loved ones wouldn’t have been enough to let the matter suffice. They want more. They want her.

 

I once again shift my gaze towards her for a quick moment, immediately diverting when she notices me. Her hands are shivering. She must feel cold. I battle mentally as to whether or not I should lend her my jacket. Eventually, I let my conscience win and so I slowly remove the dark blue jacket and place it over her shoulder.

She tilts her head up to stare at me, confusion reflected in her almond shaped eyes. “You’re cold.” I murmur, trying to sound indifferent but somewhat failing as a slight hint of kindness slips through my enunciation. A shot of realisation flashes through her face as she holds on to the jacket, wrapping it around her petite body. It’s way too big for her and so she folds in inwards, keeping her left hand underneath it.

She shoots me an innocent smile and says, “Thank you.”

I nod back at her in reply. Don’t thank me too soon. I think to myself. Because if there’s anything I know about those people that attacked her earlier, is that they won’t rest until they get what they want.

 

When we reach the footstep of her house, Luhan immediately opens the door even without us having to press the doorbell. It was as though he has been waiting at the peep hole all this while. Oh right, he has.

“Jihae!” Luhan exclaims as he rushes over to her, embracing her tightly. I’m both surprised of his actions and at the same time envious of his bravery. If only I dared to hug her again like I did back at the dark alley.

“My god where have you been do you know Dad and Mom are both dead worried?” He questions her and his eyes drop to look at the cut on her face, but he doesn't ask her about that.

“I’m sorry. I just needed time to cool off.” Jihae lowers her head and her words don’t fumble even though she lies through her teeth. She obviously doesn’t want her family knowing about the incident.

“Do you know I would never be able to forgive myself if anything happened to you?” Luhan looks deep into her eyes and for a moment I realise that he really does care for his sister. Even if they aren’t actually related.

“I’m sorry. I’ll go apologise to mom and dad now.” She replies and walks into the house, leaving Luhan behind. He looks as if he is contemplating on whether or not to stop her. But in the end he doesn’t.

 

And he turns his head around until his eyes are fully fixated on mine. “Yea okay I’m leaving now.” I tell him even though I know he wants me to do the opposite. Luhan holds me back.

“Wait a minute young man. I want you to tell me what exactly happened.” Luhan’s deadly glare still locked on mine.

“Nothing happened. I just found her and then I brought her back like I promised.” I shrug. But I knew things wouldn’t be this simple. Luhan is a little naive but not to such a huge extent as to completely believe my lies.

“Then how the heck do you explain her cut on her cheek?!” His voice is suddenly raised and for a moment I’m intimidated by him.

“I don’t know! I just found her like that. She probably scratched herself on the way or something.” I lie. Everything is to be kept a secret. The lesser others knew, the better. I don’t want word getting around about Jihae getting attacked. Jihae would probably keep mum about the incident but I know for one that Luhan isn’t very good at keeping secrets.

 

What he does next is both predictable yet unexpected. Because even though reading his chain of thoughts warned me of his next move, I didn’t think he’d actually do it.

Luhan grabs my collar and brings me closer to his face. He stares deep into my soul, his penetrating gaze sending shivers down me as he speaks, “If you hurt my sister Baekhyun, I won’t forgive you.”

I never knew Luhan is that protective of Jihae. But after he shoves me down onto the floor and goes back into the house, slamming the door behind him, it finally occurres to me that he is extremely possessive to the people he loves.

Even Luhan does all he can to defend for his loved ones. Whereas I, Baekhyun, am just a useless that only cares for myself. A pathetic sigh escapes my lips as I pick myself up from the ground. Brushing off the dirt on my pants, the image of my parents and brother suddenly formulates in my head.

I fight hard to get rid of it. Because along with memories of them, comes painful flashbacks of horrible times. Times that I wish I can just forget. But that’s the kick about being able to read minds. You’d never forget anything.

 

I stroll along the dirt road that leads back to my house. A quick check on my phone tells me that its pass 8pm.  Instant noodles again. I sigh, dreading the meal ahead. I think about Jihae’s predicament, and compare her situation to mine. We both have one thing in common—we’re both orphans.

And while Jihae has never met her biological parents before and has not the slightest memory of them, my parents have been a part of the twelve years of my life. I knew them, they knew me. And because of me, they’re both dead.

My nose winces and I quickly stop thinking about them. I can’t afford to cry now. Crying is a weakness. Men do not cry so neither should I.

But somehow another stray thought finds its way into my mind and I realise Jihae is in extremely grave danger. What if they do the same thing they did to my family? What if they decide to take away everything I love again? What if they decide to take away her?

DUN DUN DUN. Protective deer is adorable don't cha think? ;) Okay guys to tell you the truth, I've actually edited the whole fic already so the updates should come really fast after I proof read everything and all :) I gave the chapters a cute makeover LOL and the songs are now all different because I was thinking perhaps it'll be more suitable if its sung in a language we folk can understand >.< And thank you for the lovely 300 subs! I gained quite handful from my last update thank you guys <3

EDITED ON 25/12/14