Fourteen

Let Me Read Your Mind
 || CHAPTER FOURTEEN || Captive

I love the way you lie.

{Jihae}

Call me stupid, foolish, whatever. I know running to 50 Dongjae street wherever the hell hole it may be is practically running to meet my death. I should probably just call the police and let them handle it as a kidnapping case. Not like they didn’t tell me otherwise.

But something in Baekhyun’s voice told me I shouldn’t. That this is much more complicated than a simple kidnapping case. But all they want is money right? The quick thought hits me as I feel my breathlessness taking over. I mean what more could they want. What more do I have to offer?

It’s surprising what will power can do to people really. Because even though I’m barely able to hear my own thoughts from the heavy heaving, I still push on with the running. It has already been around twenty minutes and time is running out.

 

50 Dongjae street is just an odd looking house that looks as though it hasn’t been cleaned for decades. The paint is wearing off and the gates are all rusted, giving it a creepy vibe altogether.

Suddenly the gates swing open and two men wearing black suits walk towards me. They are both wearing shades and so I can’t quite tell if I’m supposed to know them.

They start grabbing my arms and I scream back immediately, “Let go of me! I can walk myself.” I shoot them a look, trying to act brave even though fear gripped my heart.

When I enter the doors, the idiom ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’ pops up in my head. Yes the exterior may look all dilapidated and old but it is nothing like that inside. Candle lights lined the halls and I realised the flooring is all velvet. Nice place to kidnap someone.

 

They lead me to the basement where there’s a huge open space. But there isn’t where they want me to go. Instead I find myself entering another room by the corner. At first I thought the door will lead us to another secret destination but I realise there’s nothing but the four walls in that tiny cubicle.

“Hey! Baekhyun’s not—” I pause when I hear the door shut behind me. “What the hell are you doing? Don’t lock me in here!” I shout at the top of my lungs, twisting the door knob but I know it’ll be futile anyway.

“I can’t believe you’re that naïve little girl. If we wanted to capture Baekhyun we would have done that a long time ago. He’s just our bait.” One of the guys outside answers me.

“But…I heard his voice!”

“Baekhyun’s obviously been lying to you hasn’t he? What else do you not know huh?”

I don’t answer, partly because I don’t know it myself. “Well it’s your lucky day.” He pauses. “You’re going to know everything soon.” He then throws in a sly grin that makes goose bumps break out all over my skin like an infection.

 

Whether I should smile or frown I don’t know. I should be sad and scared, being trapped by a group of men in some haunted house. But I can’t help but feel a sense of excitement and relief knowing that I’ll soon find out the reason behind it.

The reason behind Baekhyun acting weird and all. The reason behind my birthmark. The reason behind everything.

“When are you planning to let me out?” I ask through the key hole.

“When he gets here.”

“Who?”

“Baekhyun of course.”

“What makes you so sure that he’ll come? He won’t believe you! And you aren’t making me talk! He’s not as stupid as me to get tricked by a fake voice.” I try to be firm.

What I get is a laugh as a respond, “We won’t be needing to fake a voice for Baekhyun. He’ll know how to find us and where. He’s probably on his way.”

“If you don’t tell me what in the world is going on here I’ll call the police right now!” I threaten.

“Why don’t you give it a shot then? Besides if you did want the police to be involved, you would have made the call before you stupidly came to play the hero for your boyfriend.” The voice sneers.

“He’s not my boyfriend…” I mumble inaudibly. “He’s not even a friend anymore.”

 

I know they didn’t hear me when there a reply doesn’t come. I let out a sigh and collapse onto the ground in a half sitting half lying position. What have I gotten myself into? Maybe I should have just listened to Baekhyun and maybe even to my brother. I should have stayed away.

But it’s now all too late.

•••••

“JIHAE?” Baekhyun’s voice rings in the air and I immediately spring up to life. I want to reply but then what if it isn’t really him? What if it’s just another voice trick those people are doing.

“GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF ME!” Baekhyun shouts and I suppose they must be resisting him somehow.

“Now now Baekhyun don’t get too worked up now.” The same voice that spoke to me over the phone is now speaking. “K! Bring her out here.”

As soon as the command is given, I hear someone unlocking the door. The man that greets me looks younger than the rest of them. He gestures for me to go out and so I do. I’m not sure what to expect when I meet these people, or even Baekhyun.

 

“Jihae!” Baekhyun rushes over to me. But suddenly he stumbles and falls, as though he tripped over an invisible thing. As he gets up, a wave of confusion hits him, followed by realisation.

“Baekhyun?” I walk over to him slowly.

“I’m fine. Are you okay? Did they hurt you or anything?” Baekhyun whispers to me.

“I’m okay. I-I thought they had you…” I lower my head, feeling foolish that I was tricked by them.

“Do your reunion some other times. I have more important things to tell you about.” I look up and could finally fit a face to the voice. The man must be over thirty, judging by his menacing looks and the obvious wrinkles just between his eye brows.

“What do you want?” Baekhyun shouts.

“Who are you?” I add.

“I’m the Head of course. Oh I’m sorry I forgot that Baekhyun hasn’t been telling much about me. Or if his been saying anything about our world at all.” He grins.

“Look, if you’re here to tell her about this then you can just let us go this instance and I’ll do the talking when we’re out of here.” Baekhyun says.

“Hold it there. Do you think I’m this stupid? To let the both of you go off scot free after this girl throws herself willingly at our doorstep?” He asks.

Baekhyun shoots me a shocked expression. Cleary he is unaware that I’m that stupid.

“The answer is no. You’ve had all the time you want to tell her. But since you didn’t make your move, it’s now my turn to do the talking.” The Head continues.

 

“Baekhyun what in the world is he saying?” I don’t understand a single thing that is going on. Baekhyun doesn’t reply.

“Jihae, haven’t you always felt curious about that mark of yours on your wrist?” The Head raises his eyebrow. I look down at my left hand. “It isn’t a coincidence that Baekhyun here has it too.”

“How do you know all of that?” I shout. 

“Because, you’re one of us.” The Head smirks as he pulls up his sleeve, revealing an identical mark on the exact same spot as mine and Baekhyun’s.

Confusion erupts in me as I once again blurt out questions, “What the hell are you saying? One of what? If this is some kind of joke then it’s not funny okay!” I look over at Baekhyun. He doesn’t seem half as puzzled as I am. “Baekhyun?”

“You know don’t you?” He looks straight at The Head. “You know her power.”

“Well of course I do. I know everything.” He grins.

“Tell me.” Baekhyun demands.

 

“Why don’t you read my mind?”

hip hip hooray for double update :D this chap is like POOF so much info lmao xD

EDITED ON 27/12/14