Thirty Two

Let Me Read Your Mind
 || CHAPTER THIRTY TWO|| Beijing

You're the one that I love and I'm saying goodbye.

 

{Baekhyun}

Beijing is definitely not an ideal place to be at. The crowded streets always get on my nerves whenever I attempt to get through them. I always have difficulty getting by with the Chinese road signs that I can’t understand. And what’s worst, my ability of reading minds almost seems useless here in a place where people speak a foreign language.

 I carry packets of noodles back to our hotel. Kai greets me with a smile the moment I enter the room. “Hyung! You’re finally back! We’re starving!” Kai says and grab the noodles from my hands, handing out the packets using his power of telekinesis.

“Yah, sorry, you know very well how crowded this place is.” I defend myself. “Besides you were the one who refused to teleport over to purchase our food.”

 

“Dude its freaking China, I don’t know my way well around here.” Kai speaks with his mouth full and I cringe openly at his rogue behaviour. And the room melts into silence as everyone enjoys their food in peace. It has been very long since we have black bean noodles, a local dish back in Korea.

“mmmmm, I miss home hyung. When can we go home?” Sehun asks and gets smacked in the head by Suho and earns a glare from Chanyeol. “I-Im sorry hyung, I didn’t mean to remind you of her!” Sehun apologises profusely.

“Nah I didn’t think of her, we’ll be back home before you know it.” I lie through my teeth. Any mention of the word Korea, and my thoughts will drift away to Jihae. In fact anything reminds me of her. The fact that I am all the way in China reminds me of her and why I left in the first place.

 

 “Baekhyun are you sure this is a good idea? Leaving Korea like that? Leaving school like that?” Suho asked me when I told him of my plan. The other four of them look to me in confusion.

“You don’t have to go with me if you aren’t willing.” I answered coldly. “I’ve already asked too much from you guys. It’s just an offer, but the decision lies with you.”

“Oh Baekhyun you know I don’t mean it that way.” Suho smiled at me. “Sure I’ll go. But will Jihae be okay alone?”

“It’s for the best.” I said.

 

A quick check on Ryeowook’s mind informs me that the prediction has yet to be altered. The vision still applies and the prophecy of Jihae’s death is still bound to come true.

Reading a future predictor’s mind is almost the same as being able to personally foresee the future myself. I can see the library of predictions.

Ryeowook’s predictions come and go. I understood that when I searched through his thoughts. He couldn’t decide on what to foresee, who to foresee. His predictions just appear as a vision suddenly.

And so I can never be sure as to whether when and where Jihae will be shot. And why too. All I know is that she will be calling out for me when she does. So that means I’ll be there. That’s the reason why I left her.

 

I left Jihae because I want to protect her.

I left her hoping that that will alter the future.

I left her so that she won’t die.

Even though I know from the thoughts of Ryeowook that once a prediction is made, it can’t be changed no matter what, I still want to give it a shot. I need to try. For her.

Jihae is too precious to me. She is too precious that I had to leave her.

I mean, there is no way she can save me if I am all the way in Beijing right? But there is a part of me that somehow knows the prediction cannot be changed even if I left her.

 

“Baekhyun?” Chanyeol’s voice snaps me out of my state of stupor.

“Yea?”

“Do you regret it?”

“Regret what?”

“Meeting her. Jihae,” his voice is hollow as he speaks.

“No.”

“Why not?” He looks at me with a queer look in his gaze.

“She’s made me realised how great it is to love someone. To care for that person. That feeling of having someone in your life to protect is amazing Chanyeol.” I smile at him.

“I guess I’ll never find out,” he returns the smile, but it has a sad afterglow. I look and even without having to read his mind, I know that he is thinking of this parents.

“I’ll hook you up with someone one day okay?” I .

He shakes his head. “You don’t understand Baekhyun. I don’t want to date because I’m afraid.”

“Of what?”

“Afraid of getting my heart broken,” he answers gloomily.

“Not every girl will break up with you Chanyeol! Don’t be so pessimistic,” I say without realising what he had really meant.

“I’m not scared of that,” he pauses, knowing that his next sentence will probably hurt me given my current situation but he still continues. “I’m afraid she dies because of me.”

 

 

Feeling the angst yet? xP

EDITED ON 2/2/15