Six

Let Me Read Your Mind
 || CHAPTER  SIX || Slips

You don't know you're beautiful.

 

{Baekhyun}

I smile when I see Jihae closing her eyes, peacefully drifting off to her slumber. But the smile gradually melts away and I find myself with a grimace on my face. This is all my fault. Perhaps I should have just stayed away, keep away from her so that Sooyeon would not have picked on her.

But I don’t know why, I just can’t. The more I feel I should stay away, the more I want to get closer to her, to know about her. The girl whose mine I can’t read.

I tug in a loose strand of hair behind her left ear, admiring the peaceful look on her face. She even smiles in her sleep. How quaint. A quick check on my watch tells me that English lessons are about to start. But I have other plans.

 

“Excuse me.” I call out to our school’s nurse.

“Yes?”

“Do you think I can stay here and miss lesson?” I ask but I know it’ll be futile anyway.

“Well I’m afraid that is totally out of the question Mr Byun! Hurry now go to your class!” She orders and starts pushing me out of the room as soon as I stand up.

“And change into a dry shirt.” She adds and hands me a piece of clothing that I don’t border paying any attention to. She probably sees the wave of hesitation in my eyes as I steal glances over at Jihae. “Don’t worry about your girlfriend, she’ll be fine.” The nurse tries assures me.

“She’s not my—”

“Kids these days, fretting over such matters really.” She laughs as she shoos me out, locking the door behind me.

I head towards the toilet to change into the dry clothes. But then the nurse's words echo in my head and I crack up thinking about how she had mistaken Jihae as my girlfriend. The smile returns to my face as I make my way to the classroom. Perhaps we do make a cute couple.

•••••

“What!” Luhan growls at me the instant I tell him about the incident earlier today. “Why would Sooyeon do such a thing?”

“Because she’s Sooyeon.” I reply as though it’s the most obvious thing in the world. But then the guiltiness hits me. “And also because I tried to get close to Jihae.”

“You’re crapping! Why the heck would Sooyeon push my sister into the school’s lake? I mean, Sooyeon is so nice! She wouldn’t do such a thing!” Luhan says as bewilderment overtakes his facial expressions.

For a moment there I forget that Luhan doesn’t have the ability to read minds, to know a person’s true self, unlike I can. “Look, Sooyeon isn’t who you think she is. She’s mean, especially to other girls. She’s just a pampered brat that thinks she rules the school.” I tell him.

“But but she’s always so friendly.” He is still in denial.

“Only in front of you and me. But she’s a totally different person on the inside. If you read her mind, you’d know what evil intentions she bears.” I say a little too recklessly.

“Read her mind?” Luhan looks at me with a quizzical expression.

“I mean like if you could. If we all could.” My eyes dodge around warily, but Luhan hadn't asked it in a suspecting tone. That was a close call.

 

As we enter the nurses’ office, Luhan immediately rushes to the bedside. His loud footsteps wake Jihae up. “Are you feeling better?” He asks with obvious worry present in his gaze.

Jihae smiles as she replies, “Yea.”

“You had me dead worried you know?” Luhan whispers. I never saw that ‘caring big brother’ side of Luhan before. I never even knew it exists. I guess I was wrong.

“Well just relax Luhan, I don’t die that easily.” Jihae says as she puffs her cheeks into a small pout. Normally when Sooyeon does that, I just find it absolutely revolting. But when she did it, I don’t know why but only one word comes to mind—Cute.

“Well you would have if not for Baekhyun!” Luhan says and my eyes widen. “He saved you you know?”

“Somewhat...?” Jihae raises her eyebrows at me. “Thank you by the way.”

“I was the one that caused this anyway.” I reply. “I’m sorry.”

“For?”

“For trying to get close to you, for making Sooyeon push you down the lake. For almost making you drown.” I lower my head at the shameful thought.

“Don’t be too harsh on yourself Baek, neither of us wanted this to happen. You did save her didn’t you?” Luhan says. Then his eyes narrow in on me. “How did you save her?”

“Yea I mean I was pretty sure no one was there when Sooyeon pushed me down. But then a few seconds later I felt a hand.” Jihae adds in.

I bite my lower lip as their gazes fixate on me. Think Baekhyun think! “I was there, you just didn’t see me that’s all.” I frantically reply. A quick read on Luhan’s mind tells me that he doesn’t suspect a thing. But the trace of suspicion is still present in Jihae’s. “I just run really fast.” I continue.

“But I was already unconscious. How did you make me wake up?” She persists with the interrogation.

“I-I did CPR.” I answer. I know Luhan will shoot that question the moment I reply.

“CPR? You know CPR? Haven’t you always refused to learn?” Luhan laughs. His comical expression calms me but when I look over at Jihae’s piercing stare, I know she’s still unconvinced.

“I learnt it a month ago.” I lie. I never learnt CPR. Never have and never will. CPR is one of those things I consider as a waste of time as well as memory space. I had read through Luhan’s mind then. That had given me a detailed demonstration of saving a life.  Thankfully it had worked out. And I am praying this works out now.  

 

“Wait…CPR? You mean you did mouth to mouth?” The realisation hits Jihae as her fingers shoots to her lips.

“Sorry.”

“Oh god. My first kiss gone like that.” Jihae face palms herself.

“Taken by such a handsome looking guy! You should be lucky sis, having Baekhyun kiss you isn’t something that is likely to happen again, considering that you’re so out of our league.” Luhan sneers playfully.

“Excuse me?” She widens her eyes at her brother. “I’m not that bad-looking am I?” Her hands automatically reaches onto both her cheeks as she asks.

I know that question isn’t one bit directed at me. But somehow I just couldn’t shut my mouth at that point in time. The words just slipped out.

“I think you’re beautiful.” I say.

EDITED ON 22/10/14