Four

Let Me Read Your Mind
 || CHAPTER FOUR || Two-faced

You're the one that I think about always.

{Baekhyun}

I check through my time-table for the day. A silent groan escape from my lips when I realise they is no Chemistry lesson. A pathetic sigh follows next as I think about what happened yesterday with Jihae.

That was the first time I got rejected by a girl when asking for their number. My mind keeps spinning with questions, possible reasons formulate as I try to come to conclusion as to why she’d even decline me. Does she have something against me? I doubt it. If only I can read her mind, that would answer everything. I mean, hasn’t it always?

My life has been pretty smooth sailing due to this ability of unravelling everyone’s thoughts. I always know what to say, how to say it. And then by referring to their pool of thoughts, I’d know how to please everyone. That’s why I’m so popular. Not that I mean it in a complacent manner, but the advantage of being all-knowing has gained me quite the popularity booster. That’s how I’m even friends with Luhan, who is two years my senior.

 

As I walk over to the cafeteria, a few girls flash smiles at me. I just smile back, even though I’m cringing madly on the inside as I read their thoughts. Baekhyunnie be mine. Baek oppa is so cute. Omigod he smiled at me. Revolting and I quickly back out of their mind.

Entering the cafeteria, I see Luhan seated at the far end, together with Jihae. My first instinct is to dash over and possibly say hi to her. But then a more reserved side of me prevents me from acting so rash. What if she were to run away again? I have to spare myself from that embarrassment. Instead, I tune in and read Luhan’s thoughts, hoping to eavesdrop on their conversation.

 

Just apologise to him already! Luhan says to Jihae.

Why don’t you just do it for me? She says to him.

Because you’re the one that walked out on him! Eh he’s here already now’s your chance!

Ah fine.

 

I see Luhan waving at me, gesturing for me to join them. I take my cue and walk over, careful not to give any signs of pre-knowing things. “Hi!” I smile at them both.

“Yo dongsaeng! Jihae here has something to say to you.” Luhan looks over at Jihae, his head tilting to the side as if signalling something to her.

“I do?” Jihae asks in a surprised tone, obviously trying to be in denial.

“Unless she is afraid because of some reasons…”Luhan glares at her and I hear her sigh softly.

“Okay fine. Look I’m sorry Baekhyun. About the incident yesterday.” She mumbles.

“It’s cool.” I say to her, wanting to know that I'm not that kind of person that'd get mad easily over a small matter.

“I’ll give you my number now. Pass me your phone.” And so I do. As she keys in her number, Sooyeon strolls over an air of superiority clouding over her with two of her girls tagging along behind her. I sense the tension rising as she places her hand on the table.

 

“Hi oppas!” She bows politely. Luhan waves back at her and I just fake a smile. “Enjoying a meal with your sister?” Sooyeon emphasises on the last word as looks at Jihae who appears to be petrified.

“Yeap! And Jihae here is just apologising to Baek for the incident yesterday. You know she even came up with a lame story about you glaring at her? Hilarious!” Luhan laughs. I watch as Jihae’s eyes shoots open with obvious terror as Sooyeon nears in on her.

“Did she now?” Sooyeon says with a chortle.

“Uh-huh. But obviously this girl is just bluffing! I mean why the hell would you do that to my sister?” Luhan says, obviously unaware of the situation currently and how much oil he is adding to the fire that's about to explode in Sooyeon's heart. She is furious.

“I-I’ll just g-go…” Jihae mumbles as she quickly grabs her bag and make a quick dash for the exit. I want to stop her but decide that if I do, things would only worsen.

“You don’t believe her do you oppas?” Sooyeon pouts.

“Obviously not. That girl lies very well. It’s a trait that is shared in our family.” Luhan laughs. Sooyeon fixates her gaze at me, expecting a reply.

“I believe you.” I lie. My heart goes out to Jihae when I read Sooyeon’s thoughts. “Bye Luhan, Sooyeon.” I say and walk away from the table in the same direction Jihae fled to.

 

I take out my phone and type a message to Jihae.

Baekhyun: Hi Jihae, this is Baekhyun (: Can I meet you now? Got something to tell ya.

The reply came almost instantaneously.

Jihae: I’m sorry but I think it’ll be best if I don’t meet up with you. I’m really sorry. It’s not then I don’t like you or anything. But I’m afraid of her.

Her. She must be referring to Sooyeon. I think about the way Sooyeon glared at her earlier on. That girl must be scared to her wits. I didn’t think twice before typing a reply.

Baekhyun: Don’t worry. I’ll protect you.

 

I had no idea what I meant when I typed the reply. There is no reason for me to protect her. So many girls have been bullied by Sooyeon because of me. And that’s why sometimes I keep my distance with them, afraid that they’ll be implicated because of me. But for some reason, I just cannot stay away from Jihae. She iss omething else, she is too different.

Jihae: Protect me…? lol what do you mean?

Baekhyun: I don’t know…I’ll make sure she doesn’t hurt you.

Jihae: How?

Just the thought of her getting hurt pains me even though I’m unsure why. I just met this girl. But yet for some reason, she has already stolen my heart. I want to know more about her, I want to know why I can’t read her mind. I want her.

Baekhyun: Trust me. I have my ways.

 

EDITED ON 18/10/14