Twenty Three

Let Me Read Your Mind
 || CHAPTER TWENTY THREE || Etched

There's no one else that can save me

 

{Jihae}

“BAEKHYUN!” I am screaming at the top of my lungs. I only stop when I have to catch my breath. I rush over to Baekhyun whose skin is now a bright red. His flesh is clearly visible and its clear the fire burnt through a good few layers of his skin, leaving blisters to break out all around.

A tear unknowingly slips down my face as I try to look away from the horrendous sight of charred skin but I can’t. Because the person that skin belongs to is someone I know, someone I care for. Perhaps even someone I love

“Oh my gosh I’m so sorry Baekhyun!” Chanyeol’s voice comes from a distance but he himself collapses onto the floor as though he’s hurting on his own. I see the others filing in. D.O reaches the fastest and shoos me away with his hand. A serious look donning his face.

“Y-you can fix him can’t you?” I had meant to say ‘heal’ but Baekhyun’s injury seems so severe the word ‘fix’ might have been more appropriate.

“I’ll try,” D.O replies.

“What do you mean try? You’ve got to save him!” My voice comes out in a holler.

“Guys get her away,” are the only things that I hear from him before Sehun pulls me away from Baekhyun.

“Let D.O hyung do his thing Jihae, Baekhyun hyung will be alright,” Sehun says softly and I realise he’s never adopted such a kind tone before. Perhaps the sight of me acting all hysterical has triggered his nice side.

“H-he won’t die will he?” The words are barely audible as they leave my mouth. The sudden thought of Baekhyun leaves me helpless. I can’t imagine what I’ll do if he really were to die like that.

“Hyung is strong, he won’t,” Sehun masters a smile and I realise he isn’t such a scary guy after all. That actually his smile is much more charming than his usual scowl.

And as Sehun continues dragging me away from the scene, I catch glimpses of D.O’s hand moving. The tears are still trickling and I have no idea how to stop them. They just kept flowing. Baekhyun, don’t die on me.

•••••

I wouldn’t have realised I fell asleep if my phone hadn’t rang. I wake up from the bed with a jolt and peer over to see who is calling. Luhan.

“Hello?”

“Jihae!”

“Yea?” I breathe in some snot that are threatening to drip over my lip.

“Are you crying?” Luhan asks.

“Nah, just the flu,” I say.

“Oh. I just wanted to check whether you’re coming back for dinner?”

“I…”

“Or are you staying over like last week?” I hear his distinct laughter over the phone.

“I guess so.” I tell him. It feels weird to be inviting myself to stay over at someone’s house when I have not even asked the owner himself. But surely Baekhyun wouldn’t decline would he?

“I knew it!”

“You just want the house to yourself don’t you Luhan?” I laugh along.

“Don’t make me sound so menacing! Mom and Dad are leaving tonight for Jeju by the way and they won’t be back for two weeks. They send their goodbyes!” He says before hanging up the phone.

Send their goodbyes. I can’t help but imagine if that’s the last word my brother will say to me. Because what if we can’t win the Head? What if we’re overestimating ourselves? What if we get killed?

I brush away the pessimistic thoughts and run over to the door, desperate to find out Baekhyun’s condition. My fingers crossed when I rush down the stairs. I search around the room, hoping to lay my eyes on Baekhyun.

“Where’s Baekhyun?” I ask Kai who is standing by the end of the staircase.

“I’m sorry Jihae.” He answers me and lowers his head. “He didn’t make it.”

He’s dead? I wanted to ask but I couldn’t. The tears come back all at once and I try to hide them. 

“He didn’t make it before you fell asleep.” He says with a hint of laughter. I look up at him, confused. “Yea I’m just playing with you, Baekhyun hyung is fine. He’s over at the backyard with Suho hyung.”

Immediately when those words come out, instant relief floods my veins. But instead of thanking him, I start throwing my fists at his chests and I have no intention of stoping.

“What was that for?” He asks as he holds my wrists back.

“For lying.” My voice comes out softer than I expected.

“Well technically I never did, I just—” He stops when he makes full eye contact with me. He probably notices the tears. “I’m sorry.”

“Just don’t joke about Baekhyun dying again okay?” I ask.

“Okay,” He agrees then smiles. “Baekhyun hyung will be happy to see you.” He then pulls me by the arm over to the backyard.

 

Baekhyun is seated at the grass patch with his legs crossed, just opposite from Suho. He waves at me when he sees me. I’m overwhelmed with happiness that another stream of tears flood my eyes again.

Baekhyun immediately gets up and rushes over to my side, taking me in an embrace. “It’s okay Jihae. I’m okay.” He whispers softly into my ears.

“You could have died,” I say and sniff, tying to prevent further tears from falling.

“But I’m okay now aren’t I?” He asks and pulls away to show me his arm, the area where the ball of flame had hit him directly. His arm looks as good as new and there are no signs of even a slight burnt. The patches of flesh are now covered up with a new healthy layer of skin.

“Wow,” I gasp at how well D.O has healed him. I look up at him and stare into his eyes for a moment before falling back into his chest, my head resting on his shoulder.

“Don’t scare me again Baekhyun,” I say. It was more of a plea than a request. His fingers gently caress the back of my head and envelops me tighter.

“I won’t.” He says.

“Promise?”

“I promise.” He says so softly that the sincerity is especially present. I smile and we stay in an embrace for a few moments longer, ignoring any possible stares or comments from the others. This is our moment and I don’t want to forget it.

In this moment, I realise how important Baekhyun is to me. To extent that I realise if he ever leaves me, I can never be the same again. I’ll break apart.

Guys the foreshadowing is intense to the max i swear :P god who am I kidding its already said so in the poster lmao :P 

EDITED ON 5/1/15