Eighteen

Let Me Read Your Mind
 || CHAPTER EIGHTEEN || Team

I feel as though my time has come.

{Jihae}

Okay let me just sort out everything.

My name is Jihae, I’m a mutant—someone with supernatural ability. Well I wouldn’t even consider protection an ability but yea it is. Baekhyun is a mutant. There is a pack trying to recruit the both of us to join them. The Head leads them.

The Head isn’t good and they are trying to take over the world. Wow. From what Baekhyun has told me from the moment we left the restaurant up to the point we’re outside his house, I know more about what they’re planning to do to the human race.

 

So basically the Head controls humans to get them to do whatever they want. But because the Head can only control people when they’re in his sight, his powers are pretty limited. He usually dresses up and takes control of mostly the CEOs and the government officials, basically those that call the shots in society.

What they would do next is to embezzle funds so that their pack can make even more money and be richer than they already are now. And after they are done with the victim, they get them to commit suicide through a car crash so that the police doesn’t suspect a thing and the person won’t rat out that a bunch of crazy mutant people have been invading his brain.

That’s what they live for. To make money. Loads and loads of them. Why aren’t they satisfied yet? I had asked Baekhyun. Because greedy people never are. Had been his reply.

 

“Well, come in! What are you waiting for?” Baekhyun’s words break me out of my trance.

I take steps through the front gate and walk over to inside the mansion as the gates shut close. The moment I enter the doors, a loud voice greets me.

“You must be Jihae!” His voice is low even though his height isn’t. He grabs my shoulders and shake me back and forth for a while. After he lets me go, I have to tilt my head a good forty five degrees to meet his eyes, a pair that sparkled with happiness.

“Baekhyun? Why is there a giant in your house?” I turn behind and ask him but he just smiles in return.

“Hey! It’s not nice to talk about people like that in front of their faces.” The guy pouts. “My name is Chanyeol and I’m Baekhyun’s friend.”

“Well I guess you already know my name.” I say, shooting a look at Baekhyun.

“We’re protecting her?” Another voice rings from my right and I turn to find four other boys around the same age as me seating on the sofas.

“Well technically she doesn’t need protection.” Another adds.

“Woah woah can someone please tell me what the heck is going on? Why are there five other guys in this house?” I ask to no one in particular.

“Look missy we have names alright.” Someone snaps.

“Shut up maknae she’s your noona!” Chanyeol looks at him.

“Ignore them Jihae. I’m Suho.” Suho stands up from the sofa and sticks out his right hand for a handshake. I grab on to it and shake it slightly then quickly sliding my hand out of his. “We’re EXO-K.”

“Ego-so what?” I look to Baekhyun only to see him chuckling.

“Guys stop fooling around just introduce your powers to her.” Baekhyun tells them.

“Wait, they’re mutants too?” Confusion sweeps me. They looked pretty normal compared to the Head and his guys that preferred to wear robes all the time. I had expected other mutants to dress similarly too, well except for Baekhyun and I that is.

“Of course we are.” Chanyeol shines me a radiant smile. “I can generate fire and lightning.” The moment he finishes his introduction, he aims his hand at me. I see a twitch in his fingers before a blast of flames are released. They travel straight into my direction with high velocity.

I close my eyes shut, thinking that monstrosity of a fire would eat me up in one go with its flames. But nothing happens. I reopen my eyes to find the fire gone.

 

“What in the world were you doing Chanyeol?” Baekhyun shouts at him.

“Testing her power.” He laughs. “And I guess you’re right.”

“And what if I was wrong or the Head lied? You could have burnt her to death!” Baekhyun’s voice is filled with anger as he takes steps closer to Chanyeol, as if about to devour him.

“Calm down, Chanyeol was only fooling around he doesn’t mean to hurt her.” A guy with a pair of huge eyes says.

“Yea Baekhyun hyung I don’t see the point in getting so worked up over a girl.” Someone says.

I don’t feel pissed or angered by his comment. I mean why should I went its true. But when I see the ire rising in Baekhyun as he sends a devil glare at the person, I know he took it seriously.

“Okay okay let’s all calm down and get on with the introduction.” I try to cool down the tension.

“I control water and ice.” Suho says.

“The opposite of Chanyeol?” I ask. He nods.

“Maybe that’s why we always disagree with one another.” Chanyeol jokes, earning a glare from Baekhyun.

“The name is Kai. Teleportation and telekinesis.” The olive skinned boy smirks at me.

“I-I’m Earth and healing.” The wide eyed boy speaks as if he has trouble articulating.

“Your name?” I ask.

“D.O…or you can call me Kyungsoo, which ever you like.” D.O shrivels into his seat.

“Am I that scary?” I whisper to Baekhyun.

“Nah D.O just acts like that when he meets girls.” Baekhyun whispers back.

“You.” I point towards the guy with blonde hair. “What’s your name?”

He throws his eyes at me and as if speaking to me is the most burdensome thing in the world, he says, “Sehun. Wind and flight.” He then gets up from the seat and walks upstairs.

The other five of them look towards me, probably expecting me to be offended by his gesture. But to be honest I’m not. It just feels normal to be treated like that, it isn’t the first time someone has. I mean I went through an entire week of silent treatment from Baekhyun and I handled it well, if you ignore the sleepless nights.

 

“Don’t worry about Sehun, he just doesn’t like girls in general.” Kai says. “So you must be pretty special huh?”

“What?” I ask, puzzled. If he was referring to my ability then boy was he weird. Hasn’t he seen his own? He can freaking poof from one place to another and wield things in mid-air. Now that’s a cool super power. Or super powers.

“How did you charm Baekhyun hyung’s heart?” He asks me.

“I-I…” How am I supposed to answer this kind of question?

“Stop making things hard for her Kai.” Suho dismisses him off. “It looks like Jihae has something she wants to ask.”

My eyebrow raises in surprise. I nod back and say, “how come you all have two powers? Don’t all mutants only have one?”

“Not necessarily. There are many exceptions and we’re one of them.” Suho begins. “And that’s the reason why we named ourselves as EXO-K. You see, the term “exo” comes from the word “exoplanet” which means a planet outside the solar system. So its kind of an analogy of us mutants being out of the ordinary and not from this universe. “K” is because of the word “kaksi” which means two in Finnish since our mutant ancestors were from Finland.” Suho explains in one go and find it hard to absorb.

“Ok…” I say, unsure of how to react to his incredibly long speech.

“Hyung, why must you always bore everyone?” Chanyeol askes and let out a fake yawn. Suho frowns and shot an ice cube at him which melts before it even comes close to him.

 

“Baekhyun can I speak to you for a moment?” I turn toward him. “Alone?”

“Sure.” He says and leads me to the kitchen.

After closing the door, I start with the interrogation, “Will you tell me what is going on here? Who are those people? Why are they here?”

“They’re my friends. My pack mates.” Baekhyun says.

“You’re in EXO-K?”

“Yea. And they are here to join us in the fight against the Head.” He grins.

“Woah woah woah. Fight? Who said I was fighting?” The idea of using any weapon or even my own fist against someone is revolting, especially when I know I won’t have an upper hand against those men.

“I said so.” Baekhyun grins at me. “Besides, it’ll be fun. Just get to know those guys better, they’re all fun. Especially Chanyeol.” He laughs a little when he finishes his sentence.

“How did you even know these guys?” My eyes lean in on him as I ask.

“It’s a long story.” Baekhyun chuckles, but I can tell he’s hiding something again.

“I’ve got all day.” I inform him, another way of saying spit it all out dude.

“Look, that isn’t important okay. What’s important is that everything is going to be okay now.” Baekhyun half smiles at me before opening the kitchen door. “Now go to your room on the left once you go up the stairs.”

“I’m staying over?” That idea never occurred to me.

“Yea. And don’t worry, I’ve already told Luhan and he’s agreed to it.” He says.

“Since when did my brother become the decider of my life?” I joke.

Half of me doesn’t quite believe that Luhan would agree to this, considering how he has been telling me to be wary of Baekhyun and all. But the other half of me thinks he’d just be happy to have his sister out of his way for the entire weekend.

“Now go pack your stuff, it’s in a luggage that Luhan brought over.” He says.

“Luhan packed my clothes?” The idea of him touching my garments freak me out. He really does want me out of the house huh.

“Yea I told him to.”

“What else did you tell him?” I cast a suspicious gaze at him.

“I told him we’re officially dating.”

lmao Baekhyun. Its the last day of 2014 guys! It's gonna be HAPPY NEW YEAR SOON! I can't belive I'm suddenly gaining so many subbies :O *hugs everyone* And yea dun dun BAM exo-k is here lmao xD and if you can't already tell, imma BAEKYEOL shipper! :) I felt like i've said this before somewhere loll.

EDITED ON 31/12/14