Beholden

Carousel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: Why don't we just start to see what's happening? :D

As soon as Jaehwa confessed that Jihyo was his ex, the air became heavier. They both became awkward, but Gary tried to push aside the awkwardness and acted normal. Oblivious to what happened, Jihyo went back inside, but the two men were already acting fine and normal. In fact, they were talking to each other as if they were old friends, so she let it pass.

“Should we have lunch?” Gary said after a while, not wanting the atmosphere to be awkward, so he made a conversation every time it started to become quiet. “Where do you want to have lunch?” He asked her. Not in the mood, she just shrugged. “Do you want to go back?” He asked her. Silently, she nodded as her reply.

“Oh? Where are you guys staying?” Jaehwa asked. In which Jihyo answered. He then responded again, “I’ve heard that it’s a good place to stay.” Gary smiled. Being the polite guy that he is, he said,

“Do you want to come? We can have lunch there.” Jihyo was shocked hearing this. But Jaehwa did end up going with them.

Lunch was awkward because they were trying to not make it awkward. But as they talked about their past (without mentioning that Jaehwa was her ex), they brought up good memories. Jihyo became more and more absorbed into the conversation, especially seeing that Gary did not seem to mind having Jaehwa around. Just then, Jihyo started biting her nails.

“Oh? You still do that?” Jaehwa referred to her habit. “I’ve told you so many times to stop doing so, but you still do that.” He said. She laughed at his response.

“Well I never listen to you, right? Why should I now?” She said and stuck out her tongue. She then laughed. Gary didn’t quite get the jokes they were referring to as time passed, so he excused himself, saying that he needed to call Gil. But he didn’t really do that; he was just feeling like an outcast. Knowing him, Jihyo was rather worried, and Jaehwa noticed too.

“I should probably go.” He said, feeling bad. “This is awkward, right?” He then got up. But even then, they ended up talking a little while longer. Talking, joking, and laughing. Gary wasn’t mad at her, he was just uncomfortable watching this, especially from afar. But time came that Jaehwa had to leave, and so he left. Gary then sat on the sofa, and Jihyo came and leaned on his shoulder.

“Are you tired?” He asked her. Again, she silently nodded and closed her eyes. She just needed a moment of peacefulness with her man. He then said, “I know what we can do so you’ll feel refreshed.” Then he smirked, making her suspicious. He got up and dragged her to the pool. Then they just went in and sat in silence. She was on his lap, resting and recovering from the awkwardness while he was watching her, wondering if she would bring Jaehwa up again. When she got heavier, he knew she was asleep. He carried her back and dressed her in her sleepwear. Half-asleep, she opened her eyes and mumbled,

“Oppa…” She hesitated. “Today was a good day.” She then said. Gary then moved to his side of the bed and brushed her cheek. She grabbed his hand gently and said, “Saranghae oppa.” Her voice was soft, so soft that he can barely hear her. He smiled at her, conflicted.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter