Fallen

Why Me?

I heard exo's song, Growl interrupt my sweet dream--the only place where I'm happy, living in a happy place, with happy people. Sighing, I got up from under my bed sheets to pick up the phone that was somehow on the floor. When I looked at the screen, I didn't want to pick it up so I sat back down on my bed, staring down at the floor. The voicemail after a while, and I listened, even though I knew I shouldn't have.

"Yejin-ah... till when are you going to ignore my calls? I'm sorry I left you alone in America, but you know I had to achieve my dream, right?" I clenched my fists hearing his voice through the phone. Tears blurred my vision so I fanned my eyes with my hand to dry them up. I didn't cry for four years, and I wasn't going to anytime soon. Crying means you're weak, and I hated feeling weak and helpless more than anything.

"Did you use the money I sent you? Wow, you're already sixteen, huh? I remember how small you were back in middle school. I wonder how much you've grown?" I bit my lip, hard, while hearing his shaky voice. He was definitely on the verge of crying, since he was a very emotional person. This person was my own brother.

"I bet you're doing well in your studies. You know what next week is, right? Tell Mom and Dad I said hi, and that I really miss....ahh, sorry Yejin, I'm crying... I'm such a pathetic brother... I'm going to hang up now, I love you.That last part hit me deep in the heart.

I got up, heading to the bathroom to get ready for school: the funnest and most exciting years of a person's life; well that's how my mom always described it as. But I hated school. There wasn't one day where someone would make fun of me for being, well, Asian.

I walked slowly on to my bus, where my best and only friend, Christie, waved at me. She looked gorgeous, and immediately I knew that she curled her hair today. Her blonde bangs were pinned back, exposing her face more. No matter what environment she was in, she looked like a goddess. I took a seat next to Christie, greeting her while smiling. For the rest of the bus ride, I allowed Christie to play with my hair, which was the only thing that kept her quiet.

My high school is in California, and there are are barely any asians in my school. By barely I mean me and three other people. This is mostly the reason why I get bullied, because everyone in my school has only seen one or two asians in their lives.

"We're here," a voice said, poking my forehead. I looked up and saw Christie smiling at me. She made me get up and walk with her until we got inside the school.

"Hey look it's YeChing Chang" boys called out from their lockers as I walked to mine. I looked at my locker, reading the notes that were on it one by one.

One chicken fried rice, please~!

How do you see with your eyes? It amazes me.

Get out of our school, CHINK

You're a disgrace to the people in CA

I sighed, punching in my locker combination and opening the locker door. More notes flew out from inside the locker, and I kicked them out of the way, frustrated. I wish Christie was the same age as me. I thought. Then I shook my head quickly. If she were the same age as me, she would know that I'm getting bullied. And that would make her sick with worry.

When I walked into first period and tried to get to my desk, someone put their foot out, making me unbalanced, but it didn't make me trip. 

"Don't even come to school if you can't see well enough to even walk straight," Lucas said, with a cocky smile on his face. Jerk. But still, I went back to my seat and in a flash, school was already over.

I took the bus back home with Christie, and she waved to me before getting up first to leave. The next stop was mine. I walked to the front door of my house-- or should I say, my brother's house, since he pays for it-- and put my key in to unlock the door. I heard voices and laughter and I suddenly remembered that I left the T.V on before leaving for school. More bills for me, I sighed. Walking to the source of the sound in the living room, something stopped me. A familiar voice. I ran to the T.V and saw my brother cracking up while watching Suho use his water superpower. The host called Kai to go show his power, and with his familiar voice, he said, 

"I don't know how you will do computer effects on my superpower, since mine is teleporting, but I will trust this program!" Then he started jumping around, pretending to be teleporting.

My heart felt like it was tangled in a knot. I missed him so much... so so much. I know I made a promise to myself that I will never forgive him for leaving me alone in America, but he looked so happy. Could he make me happy, too?

I walked outside and went to the mailbox. There was a letter from Korea, and I opened it, to find a letter from my "brother". I actually knew it wasn't my brother sending me these letters because

1) My brother has the worst handwriting

2) My brother is REALLY REALLY not poetic and hates writing

3) From the voicemail, it seems like my brother didn't recieve the letters I sent him or wrote any back.

That was all I knew, though. I didn't know who was the person that wrote back to me. Probably Exo's manager or assistant or something. When I was thirteen, before I made the promise to myself to never forgive him, I wrote one letter and sent it to Kai oppa's dorm (that he shares with Exo-K). However, it seemed like Suho, the leader of Exo-K, got that letter, so he wrote back asking who my "oppa" was, because he thought I sent it to the wrong address. From then on, I couldn't stop writing letters and pouring my heart out, so I asked Suho to take my letters but never let my letters get to my brother, Kai, and he agreed to keep it safe from him. The thing is, though, that whoever writes these letters doesn't know that I already know he's not Kai. He thinks I'm an innocent sixteen year old girl that writes to her brother, thinking that he will write letters back. It's probably Suho's fault. Suho oppa is bad with memory so he probably didn't tell anyone the reason behind these fake letters. 

I wrote all of my depressing stories in my letters. Things like how I hate my life and how I hate Kai. I just couldn't stop sending these letters. I knew I couldn't talk or write to my actual brother, but I felt safe knowing that Suho will get these instead of him. So, what's the harm in just pretending that these will actually go to Kai?

I walked back into my house and into my room. I found myself actually excited to read Kai's letters. Whoever it was writing these letters, I might have... fallen for him.