Safe House

Children Of The Wild Ones

I once called this place my home
I once loved the light it shone on me
But no matter who we are
We become imprinted by our surroundings

***

The moment Suzy wakes up its chaos with Eunsang pulling her up from her slumber and opening the blinds in her room. Suzy grunts from the assault on her eyes by the sunlight in her room. “What’s wrong, Eunsang?” Suzy mumbles and huddles up under her blanket to keep the warmth from escaping her body.

“There are reporters outside the house, they’ve been waiting outside for an hour now.”

“There’s always reporters outside, Eunsang…” Suzy tries to wipe the sleep from her eyes still unsure as to why she was awoken so early for something so minor.

“Look at your phone, it’s been plastered everywhere this morning.”

Suzy sighs and reaches for her phone beside her bed. She opens up the search portal and her name ranks at number one which isn’t an odd occurrence until she notices Joohyun as the name beneath hers. Eyes widened, Suzy leaps out of bed immediately.

“Where are you going?” Eunsang shouts and Suzy runs down the flight of stairs to the kitchen where Jihyun was having her morning coffee.

“Did you do this?” Suzy tosses the phone in front of her and Jihyun looks down, nonchalant and back up at her. She takes a sip of her coffee casually and smacks her lips. “You knew that this would scare her off so you released it to the media?”

“No, you did.” Jihyun picks up the phone and she’s observing the picture in front of her. The two girls standing face to face looked so odd to her. Any idiot could tell they were related let alone the media.

“What do you mean?” Suzy demands an answer after her mother turns silent.

“You should’ve left it as it was, Suzy. Now you’ve dragged some innocent girl into this mess.”

“Your daughter,” Suzy corrects but she knew that her mother was right.

***

Jongin peered over his balcony and noticed the paparazzi lined at the doors in front of Suzy’s house. He put out his cigarette and walked back inside, fished for his school bag and swung it over his shoulder. He made his way downstairs where his mother had the news on. The gossip columns were having a field day.

“You never watch these things, mum,” Ara notes as she sits down at the table for breakfast. Chorong follows suit and so does Jongin, each sibling dressed in their respective uniform all ready to leave after their meal. There was no doubt that by midday today, once the world has settled in at work, the only name on their lips would be Bae Joohyun - orphaned daughter of former model Jeon Jihyun and CEO Bae Doojoon. Her parents extended across the field of both entertainment and business. Her mother the best of the best in her prime, her father a current powerhouse himself. It was a lot of attention for such a small girl who wasn’t raised in the spotlight.

Jongin glanced at the screen. Photos of the girl and “Suzy!” Jongin glanced over at the porch in their back yard. She looked a little frantic as she waved for him to open the door.

Everyone turned their heads towards Suzy who had a few twigs stuck in her locks and dirt on her knees, socks and shoes. Jongin stepped out onto the porch and closed the door behind him to allow them some privacy. “What are you—?”

“I’m sorry, the paparazzi have been lining my gate and I haven’t been able to leave all morning. I was wondering if I could get a lift to school with you. I really wouldn’t bother, but they’ve created a wall…”

“Sure,” Jongin says and pulls a few twigs out of her hair and tosses it aside. “But are you sure that you should be going to school? I’m sure they’ll track you there as well.”

“I’m going to find Joohyun, with all the information leak I’m sure she’s been having a hard time wherever she is.”

“I’ll take you,” Jongin offers. Suzy shakes her head and denies the offer but Jongin is persistent. “You don’t really have a choice, Suzy. What are you going to do? You don’t have a car how are you going to get there? Do you even know where she lives?” Suzy sighed and shook her head. “Come on, I’ll take you.”

Jongin turned around and opened the door where everyone’s eyes immediately diverted from them back to their meals. Yeonhee switched off the television immediately and adjusted her robe. “Good morning, Suzy. How are you today?”

“I’m fine,” Suzy says, “Just having a bit of an obstruction in front of my house.”

“We’re going to school now,” Jongin says as he slips into his shoes.

“You two are going together?” Yeonhee asks.

“Yeah, like the good ole days,” Suzy chirped which only earned an odd look from Jongin. Lowering her gaze she smiled nervously to the ground and rubbed the nape of her neck. Jongin sighed and reached for her hand, pulling her out of the room before she made a fool of herself again in front of his mother. Like she needed more bad things to say about the Baes today.

When he got to the car, Jongin took off his blazer and tossed it over to her. “Use that to hide.” Suzy nodded her head and crouched over in the front with his blazer over his head, his warmth still lingering on the blazer keeping her warm. He dropped his bag on her too but Suzy growled. “Gotta make it look believable.” Jongin chuckles and the engine of his car roars to life. He drives out of the garage and down to the front gate that opened slowly for them. Reporters rushed over, trying to take snapshots of the car to confirm if Suzy was inside but they find nothing. Satisfied by their response, Jongin sped off down the road.

“You’re safe now,” Jongin says.

***

Joohyun hadn’t left her house. She had darted back upstairs immediately when the reporters noticed her. There was no way she would be able to leave for work but thankfully her boss understood. Odd considering how he’s usually a grouch every other day but he did mention something about bringing her sister and mother to the café when she could.

Nothing was confirmed and yet Joohyun was already into the media. She wondered if she should go outside to clarify but her doorbell rang. “Who is it?” she asked nervously.

“It’s me, unnie, Sooyoung!” the voice was something Joohyun recognised immediately and with a sigh of relief she opened the door for the younger girl.

“What are you doing here? Why aren’t you at school?”

“I wanted to come and see if you were ok! It’s so crazy down there. A few reporters grabbed me and asked me if I knew you.”

She looks at Sooyoung, frantic, “What did you tell them?”

“I said no, of course! But unnie, is it true? Are you really from a rich family?” Sooyoung’s questions were greeted with disdain as Joohyun only sighed. She peered through the blinds to see the group of reporters growing larger.

“I don’t know, I’ve only spoken to her twice.”

“Who?”

“Bae Suzy.”

“What’s she like unnie?” Sooyoung asks eagerly and Joohyun just rolls her eyes.

“I think you really need to go to school before you get in trouble from your mother.”

“But what about you? Are you going to stay in here all day till they leave? You need to work unnie you have to live your life!” Sooyoung’s words were seemingly easier said than done.

Joohyun nods her head, she had food to last her for a few days need be. She groaned in frustration at how quickly her life had changed since meeting Bae Suzy. There’s another knock at the door and Joohyun gestured for Sooyoung to inquire about the guest at the door. “W-who is it?” the younger girl asks nervously.

“I’m Kim Jongin, I’m friends with your sister.” Joohyun glanced sideways at Sooyoung and peered through the peephole of her door. The young boy had a cap and mask on which concealed his face but he took it off and flashed her a grin. As a sign of good will he even stepped backwards with his hands in the air to show her he meant no harm.

“I don’t have a sister.”

“If you want me to say her name and reveal your location, just let me know.” Joohyun pursed her lips and glanced at Sooyoung. With a deep breath she opened the door just wide enough for Jongin to slide in.

“What are you doing here?” Joohyun demands an answer, “Where is Suzy or Sehun? How did you know where to find me?” the questions came like and endless stream and Jongin walked around her apartment and pointed to her couch.

“May I?” he asks and Joohyun stares at him oddly before nodding. He gestures for her to take a seat. He explained to her that Suzy was waiting downstairs and that she wasn’t safe in her apartment.

Her apartment was small and humble but the security downstairs was pathetic. “How did you manage to find my apartment?” Joohyun demands to know to which Jongin smirked.

“The security here isn’t great. There’s a list of your names on the desktop at the security office. Which was left unguarded by the way.” Jongin managed to slip in between the reporters outside but they were already making their way knocking on doors and disturbing neighbours. It wouldn’t be long till they found their way here.

“So what do you want?”

“Come with me, we can take you some place safe till the craze dies down.”

“I think I’d feel the safest in my own apartment right now,” Joohyun says defensively but she hears doors opening and slamming shut down the hall from her and she knows she doesn’t have long. She clenches her fist and closes her eyes before she reluctantly asks, “Where are you going to take me?”

***

Safety is at Sehun’s hotel where the paparazzi would find it hard to get past the security. Checked in under the name fake name to help protect more information from leaking out about her. At least here Joohyun could be on her own. Suzy had offered her house but Joohyun was adamant that Suzy had done enough for her. 

“So what do I do? Do I just hide here until they find something new and decide to leave me alone?”

Jongin and Suzy looked at each other and pursed their lips. “You can stay here and help yourself to room service. We’ll be releasing a statement soon to clear everything up—”

“Where is she?” Sehun huffed as he entered the room and Suzy noticed how Joohyun leapt out of her seat. “Noona!” he exclaimed, rushed over but stopped himself a few steps short of colliding into her. “Are you ok?” he asks, and tucks the loose strands of hair out of her face to examine her closely.

“Yes, just a bit anxious someone’s going to jump around the corner with a camera,” she laughs nervously and Sehun bites his lip. He apologises but Joohyun assures him she’s fine. Jongin and Sooyoung managed to get her out safely and Sehun isn’t even slightly curious as to why Jongin was involved.

“We were just telling her she should stay here for the time being till dad’s PR team works on a statement.”

“About what?”

“Well the truth. She’s someone we know from the church and there’s no proof that she’s related to us.” Suzy kept her gaze locked on Sehun who seemed to be challenging her idea. “Unless you have a better idea.”

“Just make sure you clean up this mess soon, you’re disturbing people’s lives.”

“Like yours?” Suzy rose to her feet to match his stance.

Joohyun noticing the tension glanced sideways at Jongin who only smirked and dug his hands into his pocket. He shrugged his shoulders and stood up. “Shouldn’t you all be in class?”

“Yeah, come on, she’s old enough to look after herself for the time being.” Joohyun rolled her eyes and grabbed onto the sleeve of Sehun’s blazer. “Just go back to school. If I need you I’ll call.”

Sehun’s eyes soften and he nods his head. “Sure, listen to her,” Suzy mumbled beneath her breath which made Jongin laugh. Before Sehun could argue, Jongin cut in with the jingling of his keys.

“I’ll drive.”

Suzy grabs her bag and swings it over her shoulder and glares at Sehun, who followed close behind and before she knew it Joohyun’s world was quiet again.

***

“So someone older?” Jongin nudges Sehun, the two boys strolling casually to the car with Jongin’s arm around his friend’s shoulder.

“What’s it to you?” Sehun rolls his eyes and leans against the car door, waiting for Jongin to unlock his Audi. Sehun slid into the back seat and tossed his bag onto the spare seat whilst Suzy leaned back into the front seat.

“I don’t know,” he says and Jongin couldn’t tell him honestly that he had assumed Sehun had feelings for Suzy. After all they had been spending copious amounts of time with each other and Jongin couldn’t help but shake that inkling feeling he felt when he saw them in the car together. “You have a type,” Jongin says, covering himself.

“Better than your type,” Sehun snorted and poked Suzy as she let out a hiss.

“Oh Sehun!” she snarled, and tried to hit him but failed as he recoiled to the furthest corner of the car so she couldn’t reach him. Sehun had been dismayed with her of late and he was having no problem letting her know. However Sehun’s idea of revenge is almost as childish as ever. “It’s not my fault! I didn’t know I was being followed.”

“You can’t even go to the convenience store without being followed. How could you forget?” Sehun says with disdain in his voice and huffs as he crosses his arms over his chest. Jongin smirked as she observed the two in the car bickering like they did as children. Suzy bit her lip, resisting the urge to argue back because Sehun was right.

“I’m sorry, ok?” Suzy says with a sigh and the car falls silent.

They’re off the corner from the school when Sehun asks her, “Did you convince her to take the DNA test?”

“Wow, you really don’t want this to be true,” Jongin quips.

“Wouldn’t you be relieved to find out you’re not related to this one?” Sehun pokes her again and Suzy turns around and grabs his arm before he escapes. She grimaces and Sehun laughs, disguising the sudden wave of unease over him.

“Trust me, I’m not keen about the idea of you sleeping with my sister either.” Suzy loosens the grip on his shirt and he eases back into his seat.

“Maybe I can talk to her,” he says nonchalantly and Jongin snorts. He pulls over to the kerb and parks his car.

“Really?” Suzy asks suspiciously, careful to not give Sehun the idea that she needs him or that she wants this at all. Not even slightly.

“I said I’d talk to her, if she does it or not it’s her choice.”

“Thanks, Sehun,” Suzy says and he tousles her hair on his way out of the car. Suzy puts her hand on the handle, about to climb out of the car when Jongin stops her.

“Cameras,” he points men wandering around peering into the school grounds all surrounding and hounding Sehun who brushes them off angrily as he storms inside. “He’s going to get in trouble one day.”

“One day?” Suzy quips.

Jongin reaches for a cap and mask tucked in the compartment of his car and hands it to her. He grabs his bag and climbs out of his car first and swings his bag over his shoulder and the cameramen are already looking over at him. He walks to her side and she climbs out carefully and almost instantaneously they charge. Jongin grabs Suzy’s hand and pulls her behind him.

With one great push they make it through the front entrance where security held back the photographers. They glance back, catching their breaths and shakes his head. Suzy pulls off her mask and cap and breathes a sigh of relief.

They walk to her locker first as she hands him back his cap and mask. She thanks him and apologises. “I’m so sorry for making you miss class, I know you’re in trouble enough as it is…”

Jongin laughs awkwardly and scratches the back of his neck. “You heard?”

Suzy purses her lips, “Regardless, I know we haven’t been speaking much over the past few weeks, so I’m sorry to ask so much of you.”

“About that,” Jongin says with a sigh, “I’d like it if we fixed that. I’m sorry, I was in a bad place with everything and I took it out on you.”

Suzy smiles, “I’d like that too.”

“Great! So I’ll pick you up after class then and we’ll go home together?”

“S-sure.”

Jongin beams, places his cap on her head and pulls it down. “You’re going to need that later then.” He waves at her and walks away leaving and Suzy could barely recognise Jongin. He definitely wasn’t the same boy she grew up with anymore, at least it didn’t feel that way.

***

Joohyun stares at the list of extravagant food before she places it down. She didn’t want lobsters, or caviar. She didn’t care for wagyu steak or whatever that dish was in French she couldn’t even begin to pronounce. She falls back down onto the bed and her stomach growled, she hadn’t eaten all day. She’d go and buy herself food but she’s peered out the window and the photographers were waiting still. There seemed to be more by the afternoon.

She shouldn’t bother Sooyoung, it would be too messy to drag her into this. There’s a knock at the door and Joohyun is suspicious. “Noona, it’s me,” Sehun’s voice was soft, but she heard it with her ears pressed against the door. Quickly she opened it and behind him was a cart filled with food. Like he had known.

“I figured you would’ve been too nice to order anything,” Sehun says. “And the staff told me you hadn’t called all day too.” Joohyun stares at the cart filled with snacks and sweets and furrows her brows. “You thought I forgot, didn’t you?”

Sehun gestures for the bellboy and he pulls out two packets of ramen from beneath the cart. Joohyun laughs and rolls her eyes, “I’m impressed.”

“Not impressed by a cart filled with Belgian chocolate, impressed with two packets of instant noodles.”

Joohyun smacks his arm as the bellboy set up the portable pot and stove for them. Sehun dismisses him and he closes the door behind them. “So, where do we start?” Sehun asks staring at the pot and Joohyun rolls her eyes. She nudges him in the chest and shuffles in front of him, he looks down at the crown of her head and smiles.

***

Soojung finds herself sitting alone in the Gardens of Trocadero with the Eiffel Tower as her backdrop. She stares at the fountain, it was quiet at night but the lights were still on and just enough to her to feel safe. “Hello?” the voice on the other end of the line asks, “Soojung?”

“Hey, Suzy,” she says, and chokes up. “How are you?”

“Have you been reading the news over here?”

“Do you know if it’s true? Is she really your sister?”

“No. Except she doesn’t want anything to do with me by the sounds of it.”

Soojung smiles, “Her loss, Suzy, if that’s not your sister you know that I’ll always be one to you.”

“Thank you. So when are you coming back? You’re coming back right?”

“I just need to work out a few things with my mother.”

“Well I miss you, come home soon.”

“Ye-”

“Listen-sorry, I’ve got to go, Soojung, but call me as soon as you’ve got your flight book ok!” Before Soojung could answer the phone line went flat. She wipes the tears from her eyes with her thumb.

She feels the wind brush past her before she’s engulfed by warmth. She glances up as he smiles back down at her. “Thought I’d find you here,” San says and sits down beside her. She tugs on his jacket, his lingering warmth ghosting over her skin. “Are you ok?” he asks.

“Yeah,” Soojung says with a sigh and leans on his shoulder. “You know, if I stay, it wouldn’t be too bad. At least I’ll have you,” Soojung says with a sigh.

San chuckles, “You could do worse.”

“I could.”

***

Sehun slurps the last of the food much to Joohyun’s delight and gives her a satisfied grin as he pats his belly. “Better than lobster?” Sehun purses his lips into a thin line, and rests his hand on his chin contemplating which makes Joohyun laugh. “Alright, I know, don’t hurt yourself trying,” she frowns playfully.

Sehun smirks, “It was delicious. You’d make a good cook.”

“Now I know that’s a lie, it’s only ramen,” Joohyun laughs.

Sehun leans back into the couch and sighs. He stares at his phone screen, the night had past so quickly. “Do you think I’m a good person?” he asks candidly.

Joohyun leans back into the opposite end of the couch and looks at him suspiciously. “I know you’re not a saint,” she teases.

“Oh really? How do you know? I thought you didn’t involve yourself with the tabloids?”

“I don’t,” Joohyun says casually, “Sooyoung does. She’s absolutely thrilled at the possibility of me being a celebrity.”

“Ah right, your...”

“Little sister.”

Sehun lets out a heavy sigh. He knew there was no better time to bring this up especially when they were already talking about family. “I promised Suzy that I’d talk you into reconsidering taking the DNA test.” Joohyun looks at Sehun impassive and he wonders if he’s upset her. “You have nothing to lose. If you’re not related this all goes away.”

“But if I am it stays?”

“Well,” Sehun says, she had a point.

“If I ignore it long enough will it go away?”

Sehun shakes his head, “No, because even though the paparazzi will you’ll spend the rest of your life wondering.”

They’re quiet for a bit whilst Joohyun contemplates. “Alright, I’ll do it.”

***

Let the change take me
Let the fall shake me
Nothing gained if you don't break free


Thanks for reading, if you enjoyed it please leave a comment.
xo