It's Compromise That Moves Us Along

Children Of The Wild Ones

Beauty queen of only eighteen
She had some trouble with herself

***

“Did you meet a boy in your dreams?” Joohyun teases when Suzy waltzes into the kitchen with her robe on and the widest of grin.

Suzy looks at Joohyun, a bit bedazzled but she clutches onto her cheeks a bit embarrassed. “Kang Dongwon,” Suzy whispers “Don’t tell my boyfriend.”

Joohyun smiles sheepishly and shakes her head, “Boyfriend?” she whispers and sighs whilst glancing over at Jongin who doesn’t notice.

“You look like you had a good night’s sleep,” Jongin smiles and pours Suzy a fresh cup of coffee with three teaspoons of sugar.

“You remembered,” Suzy smiles and takes a sip. She never liked her coffee bitter and she likes her eggs a little running and her waffles crispier than most. All these Jongin remembers.

She felt better this morning, than she had in the longest of times. She looked at him with bright eyes and a wide smile. It was because she hadn’t taken anything last night to help her sleep. The medicine usually stayed in her system for an hour or so after she woke up which made mornings slightly unbearable. There was something nostalgic about everything that rocked her gently to sleep with his blanket wrapped around her body and her favourite book beside her.

She felt like she was seven again when all the gremlins and ghosts only existed in books and there was always a resolution by the end, most of the time.

Jongsuk hands her breakfast on a platter and there’s something warm about it. It was probably the smiley face made with runny eggs and crispy bacon. Suzy grins, thanks Jongsuk for his hospitality and digs in. “Enjoy it kids, I make the best breakfast,” he says before lowering his voice, “I’m pretty sure it’s the reason why your grandma’s stayed around this long.”

Ara, Chorong, Jongin and Suzy all laughed maniacally. “Your grandfather’s quite a funny man, isn’t he?” Joohyun says.

“Darling,” Jongsuk prepares her own special plate with waffle hearts and honey drizzled over the top. Which makes the two oldest Kim siblings in awe.

“Do you know why I don’t object you kids dating?” Joohyun leans in, “Because when you find the one who makes you breakfast every morning, it’ll all be worth the heartbreak.”

“See, I told you she stays around for the breakfast.”

Joohyun smiles graciously, “You stay around because I know you’re afraid of the dark and I still love you for that.”

“Night blindness, I have night blindness.”

“Every time there’s thunder he jumps,” Joohyun whispers and leans into Suzy, “When it happens he always likes to sneak in a cuddle.”

Suzy supresses her grin, she didn’t want to offend Jongsuk by laughing. “Actually, Jongin is afraid of the dark as well. When we were kids he always liked to sleep with the lamp on. I had to adjust to sleeping with the light on too.”

“It’s night blindness,” Jongin and Jongsuk argue in unison, “All the men in our family have poor eye sight.”

The girls all nod in unison and smile sheepishly at each other, “We’re out numbered kid, and I think it’s best we finish up breakfast and leave before they gang up on us.”

“That’s right, it’s good you’re here, your grandfather finally has to take down that old rickety chair swing that he’s refused to do.”

“I was going to fix it up.”

“Well fix it up or get rid of it, it’s become such an eyesore,” Joohyun grumbles, “He makes good food but he’s absolutely useless when it comes to house chores. It’s like the world’s worst trade off.”

“Sure grandpa, whatever you need.”

“Yes, get Jongin to help around the house, you know we definitely need some fixing up around this place.” Joohyun turns her head towards Jongin and smiles, “You can’t stay for the week, darling?”

Jongin laughs, “I wish grandma, but we have school. I’ll come back during the break though. I’ll bring Sehun along as well. He needs to get into shape.”

“Ah that boy, he must be all grown up now.”

“Something like that,” Jongin says. There’s something comforting about the breakfast table in the morning. It’s something that Jongin had realised when Ara returned home. For the first time in a while Jongin wanted to sit at the dinning table willingly. Jongin places his dishes in the dishwasher and stretches his legs, “Alright gramps! Shall we get started?”

“Alright, I’ll go grab the tools from the shed.”

***

“The only evidence I have is what Suzy’s told me. Because she didn’t report it that night there’s nothing much we can do to tie him into this. It would be his word against ours.”

“Well then find others,” Soojung says, “If he’s done it once maybe he’s done it to other people.”

“But where do we start? What channels do we look into?”

“My parents donate a sizeable amount to the Police retirement fund, maybe I can see I can call in a favour,” Sehun says after he remembers, “Jang Wooyoung, that was his name.”

“Alright,” Soojung says and sighs into her hands. They had spent the night at his place running on the takeaway coffee from the café. They were racking their brains out trying to figure out how to capture Kim Myungsoo and it was morning before they had realised it.

“You should go to sleep, go up into my bed and sleep. You’ve been up all night racking your brain and we all know how useless a sleep deprived Soojung is,” Sehun teases.

Soojung nods, but adds “You haven’t slept either, where will you sleep?”

“The guest room,” Sehun says and rubs his eyes that were dry and red shot.

The last time Soojung and Sehun had been together they had slept in the same bed. Granted that nothing really happened beyond their kiss it didn’t change the fact that Sehun was certain that it would be different this time around. Soojung nods her head and picks herself up from the couch. She stretches her body and as soon as she did she felt fatigue overwhelm her all at once. She takes a few steps forward before she stops. “Aren’t you going?”

“I’m going to make that call first and then I’ll sleep.”

Soojung nods her head and drags her feet across the tiles and up the stairs. “Hi, Officer Jang? It’s me Oh Sehun…” Sehun says, his voice carrying through the empty house. Soojung glances at him one last time and offers a weary smile. “I was wondering if you could help me with something.”

“You didn’t get into trouble again did you, kid? I thought those days were behind you.” Sehun smirks and remembers all the days he’d sit in the back of the police car. Drinking was a form of forgetting and escaping for him so Sehun would often sneak alcohol from his father’s stash and stumble down the streets like a druken misfit, cursing and yelling profanities at people who stared. Jang Wooyoung picked him up one day and instead of taking him straight to the cell he drove his best friend’s boy around the neighbourhood till he was sobered up.

Sehun didn’t need to see the inside of a jail cell, he felt like that was his life already.

“It’s not that, I have changed, I just was wondering if I could give you a name and if you could tell me if there’s anything.”

“Look, kid, I know…”

Before the officer could deny his request Sehun pleads, “Please, Officer. It’s for a good friend.”

***

Jongin winces in pain from a piece of old wood pricking into his skin as it pulled apart the creaking pieces. He pulls it out with his nails and on his finger to stop the bleeding. Jongsuk laughs when he notices how helpless his grandson was. “You’re good kid, but when it comes to the handy work you’re not great.” He tosses Jongin a pair of gloves to make it easier for him and Jongin belatedly realises would’ve been helpful a while ago. Still he puts it on and helps his grandpa with the white coat of paint on the chair.

“Why don’t we just get a new one gramps? It’s probably easier to throw it out…”

“Don’t you dare,” Jongsuk frowns, “I built this chair for your grandmother when we bought our first house. It’s been with us for years.

“But it’s old.”

“All that is gold does not glitter,” Jongsuk says, “Just because I didn’t spend thousands on it doesn’t mean that it has no value. Just because it’s new doesn’t mean it’s better. Why do you think I’ve stuck with your grandmother for so long?” Jongsuk laughs, “The old lady knows me best, loves me best and yet there’s so many things that she could teach me still. That’s what this chair represents, whether you see it or not.” Jongin sighs and sits on the floor exhausted when their conversation was interrupted. Suzy carries out a tray of refreshments for them - freshly made lemonade with sandwiches which she leaves on the ledge of the porch for them.

“How’s it coming along?” she asks, laughing at the boy who looked like he would pass out from fatigue. “Are you even helping or are you just slowing him down?”

“A bit of both,” Jongin replies frankly and takes the lemonade from her gratefully. “Thanks,” he says and offers her a genuine smile.

She offers Jongsuk a slice of the sandwich and they sit admiring the almost finished piece from across the porch. “Looks good,” Jongsuk says and Suzy agrees. “Couldn’t have had done it without Jongin,” Jongsuk says and they both glance at Jongin looking a bit apprehensive as he sanded down the final touches of the wood.

“Really?” Suzy asks with disbelief in her voice.

Jongsuk snorts and presses his finger to his lips, “He tries, and that’s all that matters.”

“Jongin is better at making new things than fixing up what’s broken,” Suzy says and Jongsuk nods in agreement.

“I know.”

***

Sehun walks into the police station with Soojung hiding behind him as she wearily observed her surroundings. “Calm down princess, all the prisoners are locked up.”

“I know, but it just looks… filthy,” she says as she pulls out a handkerchief from her bag and wraps it around her hand as to not touch any dirty surfaces.

“Hey gorgeous,” some of the drunkards in the holding cell call out to her as she walks by, “Hey gorgeous, you free tonight?” one man extended his arm beyond the cell which made Soojung latch onto Sehun. The taller guy laughs, and shakes his head.

“I’m looking for Detective Jang Wooyoung,” Sehun says but is startled when Wooyoung calls him out from behind.

“Oh Sehun, I thought I said didn’t want to see you back in here again,” Wooyoung said sternly before cracking a wide grin.

Sehun laughs but Soojung scratches the side of her head, she knew Sehun was temperamental, but to end up in a police station? She shook her head, now wasn’t the time to be thinking of such things – she’d ask him about it later.

“Did you get…” Sehun is about to ask when Wooyoung presses his finger to his lips.

Sehun stops talking and follows Wooyoung into his office.

“I’m only doing this because of the things your family does for the police station. I don’t want others thinking anything else about it. Still it’s best we keep this between us.” Wooyoung pulls out a file from the top draw of his desk and places it on the table. “I’ve gone through his file and I’m not sure what you’re looking for exactly, but this kid has been quite a menace on the city. He’s been charged with public disturbances many times. You kids tend to think that just because you have money means it’s ok for you to be jerks.”

Sehun snorts, “Something like that…” Sehun says as he flips through the files.

“Has he ever been arrested for assault? Or battery?” Soojung asks anxiously which catches Wooyoung’s attention.

“If he has you’re probably not going to find it there,” he says with a defeated sigh that follows. “People with powerful parents like him tend to buy their way out before it gets official. We brought him in once but we had to let him go before we could formally question him.”

“For what?”

“He assaulted some guy, beat him up pretty bad. His parents paid some lawyer to convince that it was just the alcohol that made him do it, and neither of them were in their right minds.”

Sehun presses his lips into a thin line and glances over at Soojung who did the same. “What do we do now?” Soojung asks haplessly.

***

Soojung stabbed at the cherry tomatoes that rolled around on her plate. They had been staring at their entrees for a while now in utter silence. Both of them still numb at the lack of progress and lack of sleep. “So…” Soojung starts, unsure of what to say.

“How’s the food?” Sehun asks nonchalantly.

“What?”

“Does it taste a bit bland to you?”

Soojung looks at both of their plates that neither of them had really touched, “It’s a salad, Sehun, of course it’s bland.”

“Hmm…” he says and takes a bite of the lettuce on his plate.

“Are you ok?” she asks wearily.

“Fine. You?”

“Same.”

“Where do you want to go next?”

“Well I mean, Myungsoo isn’t i-”

“No, I mean where do you want to go next, I think I need a break from this.” Sehun doesn’t take his eyes off the plate whilst he constantly shovels the food down his throat and pours salt over his lettuce.

“You’re not giving up on this so easily are you?”

“No, I just want a break, so where too, princess. Or do you want me to drive you home?” Sehun looks up at her with red-shot eyes and a grim smile, “Cause I’ve got plenty of places I can go alone.”

Soojung stammers for a bit before she manages to muster a weak no, “Take me with you, anywhere,” Soojung says with a hint of sadness and desperation in her voice and Sehun nods.

***

They go hiking, which they rarely get to do considering the fact that they’re often surrounded by sky rise buildings and busy streets. Here the trees towered over them, covering them in shade from the blistering afternoon sun. Suzy pants, wiping away the beads of sweat on her forehead as she sipped from a bottle of water Jongin had handed to her.

“It’s been a while since I’ve walked,” she grimaced as she climbed up the rocky steps to the top of the mountain.

Joohyun bragged about the view from there and the grottos they would pass by on their adventures. Make sure you drop by the wishing well as well – she told them, handing them each a 500 won piece. Jongin places his hand on his hips and looks around as they sit beside the well, wondering how much longer it would take to get to the top.

“I think my wish is going to be to go home now,” Suzy says and pats her face dry from the cold water she splashed on her face.

“You dance, how are you so unfit?”

Suzy pressed her lips into a thin line, she hadn’t danced in the longest of times. At least not since she left, “You know who would’ve enjoyed this? Soojung…” Suzy says and Jongin laughs.

“We should all come back here sometime, all four of us.”

“Yeah, next time I’ll stay with your grandparents.”Jongin rolls his eyes good naturedly and takes his hands of his hips and pulls out a 500 won piece from his pocket and clasps his hands together. “What are you doing?” Suzy asks.

“Making my wish now,” he says with a wicked grin.

“What are you wishing for?” Suzy asks.

Jongin shakes his head but his smile never leaves his lips. He presses his clasped hands to his lips and closes his eyes tight. He breathes in the fresh mountain air and Suzy just sits and observes silently. A minute later he opens his eyes and with a flip of the coin and their eyes both track as the silver piece falls into the well.

“Let’s go,” he says excitedly leaving Suzy behind, legs beginning to ache from the walk.

“Hey what did you wish for?” Suzy shouts as she chases after him up the steps, ignoring the pain.

“I’ll tell you if you comes true,” he shouts back already steps ahead of her.

Suzy rolls her eyes and chases after Jongin, but her legs are longer now so it’s easier.

***

Soojung grabs them both a hot cup of coffee and a warm croissant for the road. Who were they kidding? They had no appetite for proper food. All they needed was caffeine and carbs to fuel them up. They stop on a tree lined dirt road somewhere outside of Seoul that Soojung doesn’t recognise. After all, if it’s not a shopping centre, Soojung doesn’t really pay attention to her surroundings. They sit in the car, windows barely wound down listening to the songs on his radio.

Neither of them have said anything, which is odd considering how they tend to banter like cats and dogs.

“I’m sorry I dragged you into this,” Sehun says finally, sprawling over the wheel of his car. “I should’ve kept my mouth shut, maybe I could’ve done this another way?”

“Like what? Ask him to confess?”

“There was a reason Suzy didn’t want you, Jongin or myself to know. I pried into her secret life so I’ve got to accept that, but you didn’t.”

“Hey,” Soojung says and reaches over, hands placed on his shoulder, “Thanks for telling me.” Sehun looks up from the wheel with weary eyes as Soojung caresses his cheeks gently. They stare at each other, eyes locking as he finds himself falling forward a bit till she breaks it off. Soojung clears and reaches for the cup of coffee sitting in the holder and takes a sip. “Plus, I believe in karma, we’re going to get him – eventually.”

“Since when were you so optimistic?” Sehun teases.

“What do you mean Johnny raincloud? I’m always optimistic, that’s how I get what I want. You’ve got to see the good things in life…”

“Well aren’t you mature?”

“You sound like you’re meeting me for the first time, Oh Sehun, I have always been this person.” Soojung reaches for the lip balm in her bag and applies it to her lips.

“Maybe I am…” Sehun says with a light hearted chuckle.

Soojung glances to the side with a sheepish grin, “If I’ve changed so have you.”

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t think I didn’t realise that you trying to settle down with that singer was a cry for help.” Sehun rolls his eyes, of course them having a civil conversation would be a bit too much to ask. “You deserved-deserve better, Sehun. Someone who would love you whole heartedly, who’s going to love you and you only. Someone who would put you above everyone else because you deserve it.”

Sehun is shocked, eyes wide and jaw unhinged which he quickly closes using his hand. “Thanks, Soojung,” he says.

Soojung smirks, “It’s been a while since you’ve called me ever so sweetly by my name and not Princess,” she teases. “I really hope you find her soon, Sehun.”

He smirks, “Yeah, me too.”

***

Joohyun was right, the view was breath taking. The way the sun glistened on the treetops down below, the way the breeze brushed ever so gently like it was caressing her cheeks with each passing moment. Suzy hadn’t seen anything so beautiful in so long.

“Worth it?” Jongin asks, nudging her elbow as she sat down near the edge of the cliff.

“Worth it,” Suzy says with a wide grin to compliment.

They fall back onto the picnic blanket laid out behind them, staring at the clear blue skies and whilst taking deep breaths. “Gramps was right, money can’t buy this.”

“What?”

“This, this view,” Jongin says with his arms stretched out. Suzy nods in agreement as they let the ambience engulf them. “Suddenly it feels like all the problems in the world are so minute compared to this.” Suzy swallows hard and crosses her arms over her chest to keep her warm from the breeze. Her eyes become bleary from the light as her eyes follow the clouds floating across the sky.

“Yeah,” she finally murmurs eventually.

 “What do you think our lives will be like when we’re all old?”

“Whatever you want it to be, Jongin,” Suzy replies.

“I mean, haven’t you ever thought about it?”

“Sometimes, not really.”

“I want to build a house with my own two hands, like my grandfather did for my grandmother – but on a cliff with a great view – just like this one.” Jongin speaks with so much excitement in his voice that it draws Suzy in.

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah, and on weekends you’ll visit with your husband and we can sit on the porch and simply admire the view whilst we talk.”

Suzy laughs, “Do you really think Soojung would give up her city life to come live here? Can you imagine Soojung here?”

Jongin presses his lips into a thin line, “If she loves me she will.”

“Isn’t that a bit selfish?”

“Isn’t love a bit selfish?”

“That makes no sense,” Suzy retorts.

“I think it makes perfect sense,” Jongin says proudly.

“Oh yeah?”

“Maybe when you find love you’ll understand,” Jongin says cheekily which makes Suzy puff her chest out. “To love is to want.”

Suzy sits up and pulls her knees closer to her body. It was weird, listening to Jongin be sentimental. “And you know what it means to love someone, truly?”

“Yeah,” Jongin smiles at her with eyes that shimmer under the sun. Suzy rests her head on her arms that were resting on her knees. They were growing up.

***

Soojung doesn’t want to go home, not when her mother was still there. She was still adamant on moving them overseas and Soojung didn’t want to hear one more of her guilt inducing speeches. She had no reason to feel guilty, especially not when her mother had lied to her for so many years. As for her father, the house was beginning to feel a lot emptier with half of his things moved out.

“We’re here,” Sehun wakes her gently with a squeeze of her shoulder and Soojung stirs from her nap.

“This isn’t Suzy’s house,” she murmurs, examining the surroundings around her.

“Nope, it’s my hotel,” Sehun says as they both climb out of the car, “I’d thought it’d be best to spend the night here considering that Suzy isn’t home.”

“What? Are you going to go home now and leave me here? At least I had Eunsang’s company when I was over at Suzy’s,” Soojung pouts which makes Sehun laugh.

“You’re not suggesting we spend the night together again are you, princess?”

Soojung rolls her eyes, “Whatever then, go home, I’ll check myself in.”

“I was kidding,” Sehun raises his hands in the air as if admitting defeat. “I’m going for drinks,” he smirks and follows closely behind Soojung. “Want to join me?”

“No thanks,” Soojung says, “I’ll retire early to bed, I need my beauty sleep.”

“It’s barely nine on a Saturday night, you know that we’d be down at the clubs tonight if you weren’t so boring.”

“I only go to dance, and my dancing partners are both away, so unless you’re going to dance with me, which I know, you never do at the clubs, then I don’t see a point in me going.”

“Why dance when there are plenty of women to do that for you. I’m there for the show, not to perform.” Sehun says.

“Well nothing’s stopping you from having a good night then am I right? The clubs will be filled with plenty of floozies who will happily give you a for a few shots of tequila, which you can easily afford.” Soojung rolls her eyes.

“You’re no fun at all,” Sehun teases and watches as she saunters off into the elevator but not before giving him one last smirk as she door closed. Sehun laughs, scratches the back of his head and shrugs it off as he walks to the bar.

“The usual,” Sehun waves his hand to the bartender who rolls his eyes.

“You know one day I’m going to get in trouble for providing you with alcohol when you’re under age.”

Sehun rolls his eyes and the corner of his lips lifts, “Or you could get in trouble now for not giving it to me,” he deadpans and takes the drink for himself.

Sehun mulls over the cup, fingers tracing the rim of the glass. “Something on your mind?” the bartender with the name tag Park Chanyeol asks as he makes his way slowly over towards the other boy. He looks up, and smirks. “That’s a first.”

Sehun presses his lips into a thin line and rolls his eyes, “Whilst people pay you a penny for your thoughts, they pay me with a thousand dollar cheque. That’s of how much value I am. So unless you’ve got that I think there’s a lady over there needs a drink. As a matter of fact, serve her one on me for your incompetence.”

Chanyeol rolls his eyes and pours her the most expensive bourbon they had on the shelf before he served it to her. He points to Sehun and whispers something to her before the lady curiously glances over. Sehun raised his glass in the air and smiled as she awkwardly does the same.  

***

They sit around the table, eyes locked on the object in front of them. The tension in the air could be cut with a knife. No one moved and everyone held their breath as Jongin’s eyes searched Suzy’s and with a deep breath he grins, “E5,” Jongin says and Suzy grumbles in frustration.

“You sank my battle ship,” she says and that was it, the game was over.

“I’m just too good,” Jongin sings as he rearranges the pieces around for the next game.

“If there was scrabble you know you would’ve lost by now,” Suzy says with a tint of annoyance in her voice.

“Don’t worry, I’ll let you win at least once. It’s not fun winning all the time,” Jongin teases.

Suzy rolls her eyes and bites her thumb nervously, “No thanks, I don’t need your pity.”

“Alright then, but what was the tally? Five to what? Zero?”

It had been so long since they had done something trivial as sitting and playing a board game. But when they were so far out in the country side and there were no clubs or bars or anything to do, really, battleship was the only thing they had. With Chorong and Ara dominating the television, there was little Jongin could do for entertainment. Feeling bad for her friend, Suzy had opted to join Jongin for a game or two. She knows how competitive he can get, even over the tiniest thing. Still what’s a best friend if not someone to help survive boredom?

“Last game,” Suzy yawns.

“Only if you win, if I win we have to keep playing,” Jongin grins.

“I need my sleep,” Suzy yawns, eyes bleary from exhaustion. The hike had taken everything out of her that she was surprised she had still managed to stay up this late. The clock read half past nine but she could’ve sworn it was already midnight.

“Come on, it’s not even ten!”

Just as Suzy was about to protest her phone shook in her pocket. She fishes out her phone and stares at it for a moment. “Anything wrong?” Jongin asks as he curiously tries to peer over at her screen. However, Suzy shies away and pulls its closer and protectively towards her chest so he doesn’t see.

Suzy smirks, “Oh it was just Kyungsoo saying goodnight,” she says nonchalantly after she sends her reply.

“Oh,” Jongin manages, “Is he better?”

“I’ll find out later. Let’s play because I want to go to sleep!” she says enthusiastically. Jongin looks at her with a bemused expression. It only took a text message from the other boy to suddenly boost her mood.

As expected Jongin manages to make a hit immediately, and Suzy misses the first few rounds. “F4,” Suzy says and Jongin’s sullen expression was enough of a telling for her.

As if knowingly Suzy manages to wipe out half of his ships consecutively after which catches Jongin off guard. “I knew you were holding back on me, Bae Suzy,” Jongin says and clicks his tongue, perplexed by the situation he was in.

Still determined to win however, Suzy only responds with a smile which does little to help Jongin. “D3,” Suzy finally says and with that Jongin frowns.

“You got lucky,” he grumbles.

“Do I get to go to bed now since I won?” Suzy asks as she quickly stands up, “Thanks for cleaning up tonight, Jongin. I’ll be going now.” Suzy stretches her arms in the air, her body ready for bed as she pats him on the head before rushing off.

Jongin barely manages a goodnight from where he sat before he started to pick up the pieces from their game to pack away neatly. When he does he strolls over to the couch where Chorong and Ara had yet to finish their movie and plopped down beside his sister.

“I know you helped her win,” Jongin says in a low tone only meant for Ara’s ears.

“What do you mean?” she asks, not taking her eyes off the television.

“After she gets a text message she’s suddenly really good. I don’t think that’s possible.” Jongin kicks his feet up and places it on the edge of the coffee table with his hands cradling the back of his head.

“Or maybe she was letting you win just so she wouldn’t hurt your ego.”

“What makes you think I’m not capable of winning a game of battleship?”

“Suzy’s a smart girl, sometimes you forget that because of your hormones and what not but Suzy’s got brains. For all you know she’s been playing you for a really long time.”

“Would you kindly pass me your phone?” Jongin asks and Ara happily fishes out her phone and hands it to him. Quickly he scrolls through his sister’s message history with the other girl but there’s nothing in sight. Jongin wonders if he’s mistaken about his claim so he lets it go, bewildered that she had actually won a game against him.

“I think we’re going to go to bed now too,” Ara nudges Chorong who nods and they quickly grab their pillows, scuttling off up the stairs.

“Goodnight baby brother,” Chorong shouts before retreating upstairs behind Ara.

Once the door’s closed and Jongin’s well out of earshot, Ara fishes out Chorong’s phone from her other pocket and hands it over to the older girl. “Thanks for your phone, unnie,” Ara says and grins.

“No worries,” she whispers, “I was getting tired of seeing him win.”

***

Soojung lied, she wasn’t tired at all.

She had been lying in bed for the past hour, staring mindlessly at the patterns above her bed. She had wanted to call Suzy but was afraid that she’d let her emotions get the best of her. It would be better for them to talk about it face to face and it was only a few hours till she came home. Except these thoughts plagued her and kept her awake and there was nothing she could tell herself to calm herself.

So she got up, fished for her phone and her Burberry coat and wrapped it around herself. It was a Saturday Night but Gangnam was still abuzz with lights and loud music coming from everywhere.

The dance floor was pulsing as Soojung stepped inside. She was looking for Sehun who had been out of reach for the past half an hour. They were regulars here, Sehun more than her but regulars nonetheless. It was a hotspot for people like them. “Hey, Soojung!” she hers shrieks before they engulf her.

Soojung turns around to spot the girl whose voice it came from. Soojung’s lips curved into a faux smile as she embraced the other girl. Seungwan was the daughter of the club owner. She had the brightest smile and the loudest voice to go with her bubbly personality. She was by all means sweet but far too sweet for someone like Soojung. “Seungwan,” Soojung embraces the girl and gives her a gentle pat on the back.

“What are you doing here? Where’s Jongin?” Seungwan asks, “I saw Sehun here alone as well… are you guys together?”

“Sehun’s here?” Soojung asks, “Where?”

“I don’t know, I saw him in his regular booth but he’s just disappeared in the past few minutes.” Seungwan shrugs, “Come dance with me,” Seungwan shouts over the music but Soojung declines the offer quickly.

“Maybe next time,” Soojung squeezes her hand forcibly pulls herself from Seungwan’s grip. Giving her a wide grin as she did to not offend the hostest.

Soojung pushes her way through the crowd, there was no way Sehun would be on the dance floor. It was funny that as a dancer he never really embraced dancing, unlike Jongin who spent every waking moment grooving to his own beat. Soojung makes it to the balcony where she overlooked the floor below and Sehun was nowhere to be seen.

She picks up her drink and makes her way out to the rooftop where Jongin and her usually meet to escape the noise. The air up here was fresher, colder and it hit her quick when she stepped outside. Soojung leans against the ledge of the rooftop and wraps herself tighter in coat and takes another sip of her champagne.

“I thought you were sleeping,” his voice catches her off guard and Soojung jumps knocking the glass off the ledge as it crashed down below causing passer-by to look up in confusion. Soojung presses her lips into a thin line as she apologies to those whom she had scared.

Sehun laughs at her mistake and she turns to slap him on the arm. “Don’t do that,” she shrieks in frustration.

Sehun grabs his shoulders and leaps out of the way, to avoid her hits. When she stops he collects himself again. “What are you doing here?” he asks.

“I couldn’t sleep,” Soojung sighs, “Thinking too much.” Sehun offers her an acknowledging nod and silence. “Why aren’t you inside?”

“Went out for a smoke.” He fishes out a cigarette from his pocket and puts it to his lips. Just as he’s about to light it Soojung grabs it from his mouth and shoves it back into his pocket.

“Don’t smoke around me. I already hate it and more so when you’ve got Jongin into this bad habit.”

Sehun snorts, “Jongin does whatever he wants, if I offer and he accepts it’s not my problem.” Soojung rolls her eyes and sighs. “Do you want to dance?” Sehun finally asks after a moment of silence.

“What?” Soojung asks in disbelief.

“I’m not asking again, Princess,” Sehun says and digs his hands into the pocket of his coat.

“I thought you didn’t dance -- well at the clubs.”

"If you don't want to I can just go back inside where they're waiting for me."

“Why are you being so nice?”

“You said you didn’t want to be with me unless I danced with you, and I could really use a friend right now,” Sehun says with a tinge of sadness in his voice that Soojung picks up. “Plus if anything I can teach you how to dance for the debutant ball so you can impress Jongin when he comes back.” Sehun extends his hand and he takes her in, slowly. His hand rests comfortably on her lower back and hers on his back as they sway slowly. Sehun keeps his eyes fixed on her, whilst Soojung watches her feet.

“Just follow, you’re trying to lead,” Sehun grumbles as she steps on his foot.

“I’m a better leader than a follower,” Soojung says, which makes Sehun laugh and roll his eyes.

“This is the one time where you need to step back and let me lead,” Sehun says in a low tone, only intended for her to hear.

Soojung presses her lips into a thin line and holds her breath as she felt him breathe into her ear. “Fine,” she mumbles, “I’ll follow you,” she says, “This time only.”

Soojung grins and Sehun snorts.

​***

He was always there to help her
She always belonged to someone else


Thanks for reading, if you enjoyed it please leave a comment.
xo