Masquerade (Part 2)

Crack Campus Chronicles
Please log in to read the full chapter

 The multi-purpose hall was packed with masked people when the group entered it. All the sliding doors were open but curtained in elaborate fabric. Slipping on their masks, each of them entered with their date to have a picture taken. Music filtered out of the speakers making the ground throb even though the songs played were  ballads chosen to fit the theme. Ahra watched people chatting with each other with glasses of punch in their hands, she looked around for the area where the food was being served only to see Dambi trying to make her way towards it only to see an overly enthusiastic Jongin hold her by the hand and leading her off to the dance floor.

 

“That boy is impossible.” Kyungsoo chuckled close to Ahra’s ear making her jump. He held out a glass of punch which she accepted and slowly took a sip. They heard murmurs and a loud announcement of the “Student Body President is here!” making the two turn towards the entrance to see a brightly grinning Donghae holding an awkward as hell Minah’s hand. Ahra held back a laugh as Donghae whispered into Minah’s ear and then led her away from the spot-light.

 

“Looks like that worked out.” Kyungsoo commented grabbing hold of her hand and leading her towards the area designated for the dancing. She’d been rather excited to go with Kyungsoo to the ball so a few minutes later when she was swaying with him to the ballads playing, she wasn’t complaining one bit. She did feel a little shy when his arm crept its way around her waist and the other hand interlaced with hers. He felt shivers running down his spine as she drew closer to him and placed her hand on his shoulder. Hyperaware of his surroundings, he spotting Dambi clinging onto Jongin who smoothly made his way around the dance floor like Dambi was weightless.

 

Dambi had originally headed for the food counters only to have Jongin’s grip on her hand tighten as he led her off towards the dance floor much to her dismay. But the moment his arm wrapped around her waist and he held her close and comfortingly with a soft “trust me”, she melted into his arms. Their eyes met as they moved gracefully (as gracefully as Dambi could get keeping up with the boy) across the little space. The music made the floor shake as the two danced in silence, reveling in the presence of each other. Dambi in some ways had never felt so comfortable with someone, yet there was a sudden yank at her gut when she remembered that Jongin might like someone else. Jongin smiled at her as she looked down at their feet moving slowly (her slightly out of sync and he molding his movements to hers). She looked up and past his shoulders to see Yixing and Sehun all donned in black, glaring at a particular couple.

 

Kris towered over the crowd, swaying with and excited Haneul who was an eager and enthusiastic dancer. Kris being lazier slowed down their movements a tad bit too much making her painfully aware of the strong grip around her waist, the long fingers interlaced with her and the intense gaze focused on her. His cologne nostrils as he pulled her closer towards him and their gazes met. A silly grin spread across his lips which quickly disappeared when he suddenly tripped on her foot before balancing himself.

 

“Oops.” He chuckled, blushing as she laughed and placed her hands on his shoulders, the two continued to sway to the slow beats as Donghae tried to convince the extremely hesitant Minah to dance with him.

 

“Minah, you have to dance, look even Dambi is dancing.” he cajoled, running his thumb over her knuckles. He hadn’t let go of her hand for ever a second scared that she would suddenly disappear if her did. He couldn’t keep his eyes off her either, admiring the shy blush that painted her face.

 

“Ican’tdance.” She mumbled as he smiled at her and raised her hand and placed it on his shoulder.

 

“If you can sway, that’s dancing enough for me. There’s always a first time.”

 

And suddenly Minah was being swept off her feet and onto the dance floor being held close to his frame as the swayed to that oddly familiar ballad she remembered hearing somewhere. She hid her face further as she felt the mask was insufficient to hide the blush creeping up her cheeks. Donghae felt his heart rate speed up when she looked up to meet his gaze with an extremely vulnerable look. He’d never paid attention to her eyes, but all of the sudden, he couldn’t look anywhere else. He had always been a er for the eyes. He ignored all the toe stepping and tripping as it only drew her closer to him as hurried apologies were whispered into his ear and he gave her hand a soothing squeeze.

 

Yixing brushed past Donghae and Minah and walked towards Kris with his lovely partner. Yixing had felt his mouth go dry at the sight of Haneul and could only think of how it would be dancing with her. And Yixing was a man to fulfill his dreams.

 

“Do you mind if I steal your partner?” he tapped Kris’ shoulder to receive a masked glare as the song changed into a peppy one. Dambi and Jongin were already at the food counter with Kyungsoo and Ahra. Kris was hesitant.

 

“You don’t mind right Kris? Yixing did ask me, and I kinda feel bad for turning him down.” Hanuel sent him a knee-weakening puppy-dog-eyes. Kris could barely comprehend anything beyond the adorable face presented to him w

Please log in to read the full chapter