Chapter 19

Distractions
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Did you forget about me?

I crumple the note and toss it in the trash; I was trying to forget you.

“What was that?” Tao asks leaning on the next locker over.

“Another stupid note from Minseok, I just know it’s him” I say before shutting my locker. “Let’s go”

“Do you still want to go to the party? You don’t seem too excited” Tao says walking down the hallway with me.

“I dunno, I haven’t been to any all year, I should go to one more before I graduate” and maybe I’ll be able to rake up some confidence.

“What about Kyungsoo?” Tao asks suddenly.

“What about him?”

“He’s going to be live bait in there, did you think about that?” I shake my head. I hadn’t considered that at all; maybe this won’t be a good idea after all.

“I’ll talk to him, see what he says” I say as we near Faerin and Luhan at the front of the school. I pull out my phone and dial Kyungsoo’s number.

“Hello?”

“Kyungsoo, do you still want to go to the party?”

“Yeah, why?”

“’Cause the football team will be there and I don’t want you to be uncomfortable”

“I-I’ll be okay…as long as you’re there with me…right?”

“Right…*sigh where can I pick you up?”

“Actually, I’ll meet you there, I have something to do before-hand”

“Okay, I’ll see you later then”

“Reily…”

“Yeah?”

“I’ll miss you…”

“….bye” I say hanging up quickly; I look over to Faerin, Tao and Luhan, busy conversing. Why did he say that, he knows I’m the only one who can hear him, right?

“You ready?” Faerin calls.

“Yeah, let’s go” I say following after my friends; the four of us went straight to the party, held by the cheerleading captain. The whole school had been invited, but I had a feeling that was the only condition her parents had made to host this party.

“You good?” Tao asks slowing so I could catch up; I’d fallen behind the group.

“Yeah, why?”

“I dunno, you just seemed a little quiet today is all” Tao says throwing an arm over my shoulders.

“Sure I guess you could say that” I mean I am just questioning myself over the fact that my heart skipped a beat when Kyungsoo told me he missed me over the phone.

“Something going on?”

“No, nothing” I say walking out from under his arm.

“Reily, don’t look now, but I think your boyfriend is about to give you a run for your money on who’s the attractive half.” Faerin says pointing to Kyungsoo sitting on a stump outside the house. There he was gazing off somewhere, with red hair, bangs off his face, and a black dress shirt.

“Damn, son” Faerin calls before pushing me in Kyungsoo’s direction.

“Wow you look—”

“Like you could be in college” Faerin cuts me off “I have never seen you look so grown up”

“Thanks, but I’m also taken” he says wrapping his arms around my waist. I stiffen a moment, waiting for my heart to stop beating out of my chest; why am I like this? This isn’t real and we both know it.

“Sure, taken” Faerin says using air quotes. “But only when you’re at school” she says winking at Kyungsoo; whose sudden discomfort affects his grip on me.

“Faerin I thought you were done having guys as your main focus” I say trying to loosen the suffocation hazard around my abdomen.

“Sorry, bad habit” she says sheepishly. “Shall we head inside?” Faerin asks gesturing to the house; you could hear the party’s music from across the street and there was already a substantial amount of trash on the lawn.

“Yeah, let’s go” I say taking Kyungsoo’s hand. It isn’t long before the tremendous crowd and scattered furniture pack a wall between the four of us. Eventually I find myself out back, where there’s a hot tub and people scattered in small groups.

“Hey, you’re Reily, right?” A girl says over the loud music, I nod. “C’mon” she says before pulling me into a separate room; I don’t know the girl but judging by the fact that she still has her uniform on, I’d say she’s a cheerleader…or a poser.

“There, now I can hear myself think”

“So, why’d you bring me in here?” I ask trying not to sound annoyed.

“So like, you’re the girl who went out with Siwon right?” Oh no not this again, I nod. “Why didn’t you sleep with him?”

“He was forcing himself on me and I di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter