Chapter 14

Distractions
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I can’t believe you talked me into this” Faerin says, clinging to my arm as we enter the school gym. I couldn’t either; somehow within the last week, Tao and the rest of the Judokas and Taekwondo people convinced me to talk Faerin to come to the masquerade.

“We can leave any time” I say over the loud music. “The last thing I want is for you to not be enjoying yourself”

“It’s okay; I’ll be okay” she says putting her mask on. I nod and continue on. Faerin and I sit down at a table near the back and watch for a bit; even with her mask on, I can tell Faerin’s upset.

“Wanna find someone to dance with?” I ask. “To distract you”

“No, I’ll be okay” she says smiling, it’s fake though. I nod and look back to the dancers; each with a unique gown or suit. Finally the first notes of ‘Someday’ start playing, making my heart beat faster. Not because I love the song, but because I was anxious about meeting Baozi.

“I have to find him, you wanna come?” I ask Faerin, standing from my seat.

“No, go meet your prince charming”

“Okay” I say and move closer to the dancers; before I know it, I’ve made it to the middle of the gym and am unsure what to do. I wish I asked Baozi what he would be wearing, how am I supposed to find him when I don’t know what to look for? Then again a part of me just wants to say “screw it” and wait for him to find me, like he said he would.

“Reily” someone says tapping me on the shoulder. “May I have this dance?” He asks offering his hand.

“Baozi?” I ask, he nods and I take his hand. I’ll admit, I’m not the best danc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter