Chapter 17

Distractions
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stand in the hallway gawking at the Faerin standing in front of me. Her hair is black instead of blond, instead of pink eye shadow, black eyeliner; and where her halter tops miniskirts used to be, skinny jeans and an Iron Maiden shirt.

“What happened?” I ask, wide eyed.

“I needed a change; I’ll admit the whole appearance thing really was a phase. I’m less mainstream-emo girl now.” She says opening her locker.

“I understand moving on, but was this really the right direction to go? Do you even like Iron Maiden?” I ask still stunned, that she thought this was an appropriate transformation after a break up; if anything it’s cliché as hell.

“Boo, there are things you don’t know about me, things I never shared with you. Yes I like Iron Maiden; I have all their songs on my phone. The reason you’ve never seen this side of me is because the guys I was attracted to weren’t attracted to this look. I still listen to Metal when no one’s around but I got so wrapped up in changing my image that even some of my tastes changed for real.”

“Well, I’m happy for you, but how are you gonna get guys when you already know the ones you want won’t be attracted to you?”

“I won’t get them, I may go back to blondy in college, but for now, if some guy likes the real me, great. If not, that’s fine” she says smiling.

“You know what, I can get used to the new you” I say following Faerin to the cafeteria.

“The old but real me” she corrects “and thanks boo” she says before sitting down with Tao. I still can’t believe she was like this before we met.

“Hey Kyungsoo” I hear one of the football players say, catching my attention. Kyungsoo’s sitting at a table all by himself, looking depressed.

“Hey what?” he answers.

“Where’s your girlfriend?” he mocks, but I can’t watch. 

“There you are boo” I say sweetly sitting next to Kyungsoo. Really Reily, boo? Who am I, Faerin?

“You’re kidding; this suicidal little girl is your boyfriend?” the football player laughs only making Kyungsoo look more upset.

“Yes he is, and he’s more of a man, you’ll ever be”

“Well , I didn’t think you had such a knight in shining armour, princess” the football player says flicking Kyungsoo in the forehead.

“Don’t listen to him, baby” I say in the most sympathetic voice I can manage. I wrap my arms around his neck; I’m honestly making this up as I go. “You may not be able to s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter