Chapter 1

Distractions
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I turn my laptop and open up the school's chatroom. Since my school isn't top rank or plastered with a good reputation, the PTA decided to install a chatroom on the school's website to help eliminate bad behavior in school. As good as their intentions were, their tactic didn't aid the situation at all. My High school is still not the top rank and still has loud rowdy kids who don't get along and treat each other like trash.

My name is Reily I'm a senior at R.C Hamilton. I major in visual arts (if you couldn't already guess) and my life is pretty average. A few months ago I started using the school's chatroom for the relief of serious boredom. It was about one week in that I met a particular user called Baozi. Naturally we started talking and here we are a few months later in private chats whenever we have free time.

Baozi: Hey

R_Darien [Me]: Hey

Baozi: What's up?

Me: I've been wondering something, why is your username Baozi?

Baozi: It means steamed bun, it's a name my friend gave me.

Me: Coolio

Baozi: What about you? Why is your username R_Darien??

Me: R for Reilly. Darien was my best friend who passed away last year.



It's been exactly a year since Darien passed away. I'll never forget the day the two of use were walking from our favourite ice cream place. When a convertible comes out of nowhere, teenagers sitting on the back carrying alcohol. I don't know why they shot her but they did. I remember screaming at the gun fire before Darien fell silent. The cops came shortly after, I rode in the ambulance to the hospital but it was too late. The paramedics said she was dead before we reached the highway. I'll never forget that day and I'll never forget Darien.



Baozi: So both our usernames are friend related, huh?

Me: Yeah

Baozi: Girl or guy?

Me: Girl

Baozi: Was she your girlfriend?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter