Ch. [01]

After A Minute

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•
•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•

Kyuhyun cursed under his breath as he picked up his belongings and placed them clumsily inside the box.
It was unfair.

He walked out of the building not without before kicking the president’s door. He had been fired just because the president’s daughter liked him but he rejected her. It was ridiculous. How much would it take for him to get another job like that?

Of course he was young, everyone could see that. But it didn’t mean he could just go and ask for a job, nobody would give it to him so soon and he needed to keep himself alive with the little money he had left after finally buying a decent apartment.

Kyuhyun went inside his car, kicking his things in the back seat and cursing loudly, a frown evident in his face as he put on his seat belt, driving off not minding where to.

“Stupid fat bastard,” Kyuhyun hissed parking his car after almost two hours of driving absent mindedly. He looked around and noticed he had no idea of where he was or what time it was. But what mattered now? He was fired! He didn’t need to come back to work at morning.

Kyuhyun went out of the car, slamming the door even if it was his own car and he could damage it. He walked around, loosening his tie around his neck because he felt like suffocating. He wanted to scream in frustration. Just what kind of boss would fire him like that?

Obviously his, because now he was sitting on a bench thinking deeply about his own future and a way to survive until catching another job.

He looked in front of him, there was a water fountain that splashed water gracefully, as if following soft dance steps. Kyuhyun sighed, getting his mind lost in the water movements.

Some minutes passed and Kyuhyun’s mind was nowhere to be found, his eyes were directed to the fountain but looking pass to it. He sighed from time to time, maybe thinking what he should do next, or if he should just come back to live with his parents and sell his new apartment which he bought with so much effort. 

Someone came and sat down by his side in the bench. Kyuhyun didn’t even look to see who it was. He didn’t care anyways.

Almost an hour passed, Kyuhyun saw the sun hiding through the trees’ leaves. It was getting dark and cold. He had to go back home and post an announcement in Internet about a brand new apartment on sale. Oh, and he couldn’t forget his curriculum! He had to write it all over again and set some job interviews.

“Looks like you had a bad day,” the person next to him commented and Kyuhyun turned around, not in the mood to even listen to strangers pitying him for being so miserable.

“Well, it looks like you didn’t,” Kyuhyun retorted, feeling something strange from the man next to him who only smiled softly and slightly.

“What happened?” the man asked and Kyuhyun frowned, he wasn’t the type of person who would tell his entire life to some stranger he just found in what seemed to be a park.

But then again, Kyuhyun really wanted to throw his frustration away.

Some seconds of silence passed, Kyuhyun observed the man carefully. He was smaller than him, his eyes were big and brown, so honest and transparent. His lips were plump and pinkish, as if waiting for a kiss the whole time. His hair, that was funny, because Kyuhyun never liked unnatural colors but he thought it couldn’t be better the red color of the young man sitting in front of him, probably his same age. His skin was pale and smooth, as if he were a porcelain doll. But what caught his attention the most was his smile. His smile was perfect. The corners of his lips would lift in such a beautiful and precise angle that it seemed to be they were made just to smile. And his entire white outfit wasn’t helping Kyuhyun to think the man wasn’t an angel. Never in his life had Kyuhyun seen such a beautiful male.

He sighed deeply. “I got fired,” he confessed, throwing his head back to the bench and closing his eyes, not wanting to see those big eyes looking at him like a lost puppy.

“Really? Why did they fire you?” he heard the other ask and a slight smile plastered in Kyuhyun’s lips. Normally, people would ask ‘what did you do?’ instead of ‘why did they fire you?’ It was as if the man knew it wasn’t his fault.

“My boss’ daughter confessed to me and I rejected her,” Kyuhyun said bluntly, opening his eyes and looking at the other man by the corner of his eyes. It was okay to say everything, he wasn’t going to meet him ever again for the rest of his life probably.

“Can he fire you just because of that? Isn’t that illegal?” the young man asked by his side and Kyuhyun hummed in response.

“But no one can go against him,” Kyuhyun sighed deeply, closing once again his eyes because seriously, what was going to happen to him. “No one can go against rich people…”

Some minutes of silence passed and Kyuhyun actually though the red haired man had gone or maybe it was just his imagination. Maybe he wanted to be friends with Kyuhyun but now that he was unemployed the other was unwilling.

Kyuhyun opened his eyes, hoping to see the man still sitting by his side and sighing unconsciously when he did. The young man was looking at the nothingness, probably deep in thought.

“It must be hard on you,” finally the red haired spoke again and Kyuhyun turned to look at him directly. “There are so many things that have to be paid nowadays in order to live well…,” he mumbled. “What are you going to do now?” he finally asked looking at Kyuhyun and the latter gulped. “It’s sad, but you need a job to get money and live.”

“I don’t know…,” Kyuhyun admitted. “Maybe I’ll sell my apartment and my car, buy cheaper ones or go to my parents’ house… just in the mean time while I get a new job…,” he recited, as if already giving up on his life.

The red haired man nodded slowly and stayed quiet for a few more seconds, looking at the fountain in front of him. “You’re young, it must be hard for you to find a new job if everyone wants experience…”

Kyuhyun groaned and hid his hands in his palms, sighing loudly. “I know…,” he mumbled, closing his eyes tightly to relax slightly, feeling his muscles slowly calm. He wasn’t sure what the other male was doing or who he was, but he was thankful that he listened to him so willingly. 

“So…,” the man by his side called his attention once more and he looked up slightly to look at the other looking back at him. “What was your job?”

Kyuhyun sighed and ran his fingers through his hair frustrated. “I was about to be promoted to director of the marketing department…,” he groaned. “But that was probably also because this woman wanted me closer to her and not because of my real capacities…,” Kyuhyun surprised himself admitting that out loud. Because truth was, he had never thought that way. What if he was useless and he could do nothing? What if that girl was the responsible of his success? What if he wasn’t fired because of her but because he truly had nothing to offer to the company? “…”

“Don’t think that way!” the red haired was quick to comfort. “I mean- You can’t know that for sure, right?” 

Kyuhyun looked at the other, ruffling his hair as he threw his body back against the bench, finally sprawling down with no energy. “You can’t know if I was good or not either,” he said as he looked at the other man intently.

The man by his side blushed softly and Kyuhyun could see how the panic reached him little by little, not knowing what to do or say to make Kyuhyun feel better anymore. He cleared his throat and looked around, as if looking or waiting for an idea to finally pop up his mind and panicking even more because nothing came in.

Kyuhyun smiled. 

It was cute; to see someone so worried for someone he just met. It was new; to see someone really wanting to make him feel better so desperately. 

Kyuhyun couldn’t remember the last time someone was so nice towards him. 

“I mean, we could go ask- or ask for a proper explanation! You surely had something that made them hire you ever since the beginning!” the other explained quickly. 

Kyuhyun let out a soft laugh, making the red haired man look at him weirdly and he laughed louder when he heard the other mumble lowly under his breath ‘did he become crazy already? What’s wrong with him’

“Hey,” the man called, gently poking Kyuhyun’s shoulder. “Are you alright?”

Kyuhyun calmed down and breathed in deeply, nodding as he wore a big smile. “I’m fine,” he said and offered the other a soft smile. “Whatever was the reason they hired me or fired me, I don’t care anymore.”

The man by his side smiled widely, nodding at his words in agreement. “You should worry about the present instead.”

Kyuhyun smiled and nodded. He was right. In that very moment, Kyuhyun had money to survive, a car and a house, not to mention he was extremely handsome too. He grinned widely and extended his hand towards the stranger. “I’m Kyuhyun.”

The other smiled and looked down at the hand in front of him before taking it. “Hyukjae.”

Kyuhyun nodded and retreated his hand, sighing softly. “Thank you for listening to me,” he said and Hyukjae shook his head, smiling softly.

“Thank you for sharing it with me,” Hyukjae said and jumped in surprise when water was suddenly splashed towards him. He stood up and stepped back, looking down at his attire now stained with water, his hair soaked. 

Hyukjae looked up and glared at the automatic system that always made that to him whenever he was having fun. He looked towards Kyuhyun that looked both amazed and worried and he opened his mouth to tell him to back away because water would reach him too but he had no time when it happened.

“What the-” Kyuhyun jumped up and tried to clear his eyes, stepping back blindly before falling down on his , groaning loudly in pain and annoyance.

Hyukjae gasped and pursed his lips, covering his mouth with his hand to try and resist his laughter, quickly going to Kyuhyun to help him up but failing miserably because he got splashed again halfway and lost his balance, almost falling if not by his incredible sense of balance.

Finally he reached Kyuhyun and extended his hand for the other to take. “Come on, let’s go somewhere else,” he grinned.

Kyuhyun looked up with one single eye, nodding as he took Hyukjae’s hand to help himself up on his feet, groaning in annoyance as he finally stepped away to see what was going on clearly. “Dammit, at least it wasn’t that expensive…,” he mumbled as he looked down at his suit.

Hyukjae laughed softly and nodded. “Don’t worry, it’s just water, after all,” he said and Kyuhyun chuckled, because Hyukjae’s white suit was even more soaked that his own.

“Aren’t you worried about yours?” Kyuhyun asked, pointing at the now dirty and soaked white suit. “It looks expensive.”

Hyukjae looked down at himself and smiled softly, shaking his head. “I was in a wedding but I went away from it because I decided I don’t like weddings,” he said and grinned widely. “It was meant to be used only today, I don’t like wearing white, I was obliged by my father,” he pursed his lips softly and shook his head in disagreement.

Kyuhyun nodded and smiled. “Hey, would you like to go and have something to eat? Truth is, I haven’t eaten since morning and now I’m starving…”

Hyukjae looked up and smiled widely. “Of course! I also didn’t eat because I didn’t make it to the reception even,” he smiled and nodded, pointing towards the street. “There’s a good café there, they won’t mind us being like this.”

Kyuhyun wondered if he should instead insist in them changing clothes but it would be useless, his own apartment was who knew where and he had no idea about Hyukjae’s. It was warm so he was sure they wouldn’t get sick, at least not easily so he simply nodded.

Maybe Hyukjae could be a great friend in the future.


•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•
•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•