Ch. [19]

After A Minute

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•

 

It was Kyuhyun’s free day and he sighed deeply. He really hated the idea of having free days, but when he told Hyukjae, the latter arranged two dates for him instead. The smaller went to his father’s house and took Duck with him, saying that his father was so interested in the dog he was getting a little jealous.

 

Kyuhyun wasn’t really interested in dating. Not anymore, at least. He spent so much time with Hyukjae that he didn’t want to interrupt their days because of someone else.

 

But there he was, having lunch with a beautiful lady that smiled sweetly and talked softly and calmly. Everything was perfect, until the waiter made her mad and she started yelling so many profanities that Kyuhyun was surprised he didn’t know half of them.

 

To say the date was a disaster was nothing compared to what it was in reality.

 

The next date was at night, for dinner. Kyuhyun arranged a nice date in a cozy restaurant. But he ended up excusing himself claiming he was busy because the boy he was meeting couldn’t stop talking by the phone. Kyuhyun doesn’t even remember if they shared a word or not.

 

As soon as Kyuhyun opened his door, he saw a small envelope under it and he leaned down to grab it, closing the door behind him as he opened it. ‘Masquerade ball’? Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow, seeing a small note from Hyukjae in there. ‘Dad gave me this for you, I’ll spend the day with him so go there tomorrow night. PD. Dress nicely.’

 

Kyuhyun sighed. Did he even have a mask? He highly doubted so. But it wasn’t that what bothered him the most. It was the fact that Hyukjae wouldn’t spend the day with him what caused him so much trouble. There were so many things Kyuhyun wanted to do with Hyukjae that he had them all listed and half of his list was still unscratched.

 

Sighing deeply, he went to sleep. He would worry about the mask the next day.

 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•

 

“I don’t think that is thinking in giving it to us anymore, Kyu,” Hyukjae said in the other line, sighing softly. “And that unfaithful dog, I swear he looks so happy with him…”

 

Kyuhyun sighed. “We could get another one, if you want,” he proposed, smiling because that morning Hyukjae called and they had been talking for at least an hour.

 

“I do want,” Hyukjae said. “But we can also visit Duck from time to time. It’s a little difficult for them to be traveling so much, Kyuhyun.”

 

“You’re right,” Kyuhyun chuckled, turning slightly as he glanced at the invitation. “Hey, what’s this masquerade ball?”

 

“It’s a ball that my father’s company offers every year,” Hyukjae informed. “I’ll be there punctual, so make sure you’re there as well.”

 

“I will,” Kyuhyun promised.

 

“Alright, I have to go now,” Hyukjae said and Kyuhyun groaned in annoyance. “I’ll text you later!”

 

Kyuhyun hummed. “Alright, see you later,” he said and he hung up after Hyukjae greeted goodbye to him.

 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•

 

Kyuhyun had to go around at least three stores to finally get a masquerade. Blue, because his tie was blue and because the saleslady somehow convinced him to buy it.

 

He arranged his suit neatly and jumped up his car, not wearing the mask until he was in the reception and he was asked to put it on by one of the workers.

 

Sighing deeply, Kyuhyun walked in, looking around and seeing the luxurious ball that was arranged. He didn’t have what it was about but he didn’t care, because he finally spotted Hyukjae, talking to his father in one of the corners of the room.

 

Soon, Hyukjae’s father had to leave to talk to someone else and Hyukjae was left alone.

 

Kyuhyun leaned closer from behind the smaller male, whispering into his ear slowly. “Hyukjae,” he called and he laughed softly when the smaller jumped up in surprise, quickly turning around and offering Kyuhyun a wide smile.

 

“Yah,” Hyukjae hit his chest. “I have to be cool, you idiot,” he scolded.

 

“You’re cool already,” Kyuhyun said, looking how Hyukjae’s eyes were glistering under the mask, how his lips were so plum and red that the red mask the other was wearing made them see as if they were the same color.

 

“How did you know it was me? I have a mask,” Hyukjae asked, pointing at his own face.

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and chuckled. “The fact that your forehead and temples are covered doesn’t mean I can’t recognize your body, or your hair, or your lips…,” he wasn’t sure if the last words were said out loud or not.

 

Hyukjae blushed lightly, successfully hiding it behind the mask. “It doesn’t happen like that in movies and books,” he said.

 

“Everyone is stupid in movies and books,” Kyuhyun said, making Hyukjae laugh softly. “I can pretend that I don’t know you though.”

 

Hyukjae smiled and nodded. “Yes, you pretend you don’t know me, slave.”

 

Kyuhyun laughed softly and took one of his hands to his lower back, the other presented for Hyukjae. “May this beautiful, skinny and short, young man, that I’m sure it’s not my boss, Hyukjae, honor me with a dance?” he asked, bowing his body slightly.

 

Hyukjae laughed loudly, placing his hand over Kyuhyun’s. “You’re an idiot,” he said as the taller straightening his back, pulling Hyukjae gently towards the dance floor.

 

“I wonder what have I done so bad for an unknown man to call me that,” Kyuhyun chuckled, turning his body slightly to face Hyukjae.

 

Hyukjae smiled, feeling Kyuhyun’s hand slide along his waist as he held onto Kyuhyun’s shoulder, their hands clasped together. “You mentioned the name of another man in front of me, you shall never do that if you’re trying to court someone, young man.”

 

Kyuhyun smiled. “My bad,” he said, listening at how the music was slow and gentle. He never really liked balls, especially with so many couples dancing around them, but this time was slightly different, because Hyukjae was looking up at him with a wide grin.

 

They stood quiet for the next minute, just looking at each other and smiling widely.

 

Kyuhyun pulled Hyukjae’s body slightly closer and held his hand softly. He smiled as Hyukjae squeezed his hand and he glanced down Hyukjae’s lips. They were so alluring that Kyuhyun had to force himself to look up again, only to find out Hyukjae was looking at him with a soft and warm expression.

 

He didn’t care anymore. Kyuhyun leaned in slowly, not minding the dance or the people surrounding them. He couldn’t help himself but lean closer and he felt encouraged when Hyukjae bit his lower lip and closed his eyes slowly.

 

Kyuhyun closed his eyes as well, leaning in closer and closer. They could feel each other’s breaths against their lips and Kyuhyun smiled, caressing the back of Hyukjae’s hand with his thumb.

 

The song ended and everyone clapped their hands, Kyuhyun and Hyukjae opened their eyes, looking at each other and letting out a laugh as they clapped as well.

 

The next song wasn’t as slow as the past one and Kyuhyun danced with Hyukjae neatly, thanking the so many lessons his mother forced him to go back when he was a child.

 

He spin Hyukjae with his arm and caught his body after it, grinning widely at the smaller male. “I’m a great dancer, right?” he grinned widely.

 

Hyukjae laughed and shook his head. “It’s because I’m great that you look good, don’t think too much.”

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, just keeping dancing.

 

After an hour, they silently decided to go back. “I’m hungry,” Hyukjae said. “Let’s eat.”

 

Kyuhyun laughed and nodded, holding Hyukjae’s hand and dragging him towards the tables. “You better eat a lot, Hyuk, you’re still really thin.”

 

“At least I’m not skinny anymore,” Hyukjae grinned, sitting down the chair as Kyuhyun sat in front of him, smiling softly.

 

“Do I have to wear this even when eating?” Kyuhyun asked, pointing at his mask.

 

Hyukjae laughed and shook his head. “No, of course not,” he said, taking off his. “It’s just that my father is a little cheesy.”

 

Kyuhyun laughed softly and took off his mask as well, putting it on the table and combing his hair with his fingers slowly. “I can see that,” he said, the waiter coming towards them to give them water and wine. “But I think you look better without it.”

 

Hyukjae smiled. “This is probably the first time you compliment me without complimenting you first,” he said, shaking his hand as he drank water.

 

Kyuhyun laughed. “Well, I look handsome with or without the mask, so there’s nothing to disagree on.”

 

Hyukjae rolled his eyes. “So conceited.”

 

“I bet you like me this way,” Kyuhyun said and winked an eye.

 

“How can a slave have so much love for himself?” Hyukjae shook his head. “Bad slave.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Kyuhyun grinned. “I’m the perfect slave.”

 

Hyukjae smiled. “Maybe.”

 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•

 

It didn’t take long for Hyukjae to claim he was tired and sleepy and that he wanted to go home and sleep already on Kyuhyun’s comfortable bed.

 

Kyuhyun had no objections so he took him to his apartment. “How were your dates, Kyu?” Hyukjae asked as they stepped into the living room.

 

“Well, about those…,” Kyuhyun chuckled. “Let’s just say they could have been better,” he said.

 

Hyukjae sighed. “It’s so hard to get you with someone,” he said, pouting as he took off his jacket and placed it on the couch.

 

“Just don’t try anymore,” Kyuhyun chuckled, leaving the masks on the bed as he loosened his tie and looked at Hyukjae.

 

Hyukjae pouted and nodded, agreeing to Kyuhyun’s words. “Oh wait!” He grinned widely. “Just one more!” he said, turning towards Kyuhyun, smiling so brightly that Kyuhyun couldn’t say no to that face.

 

“Alright, but just one,” Kyuhyun warned and Hyukjae nodded eagerly.

 

“I’ll call her first thing in the morning!” Hyukjae said, walking towards Kyuhyun’s room and choosing the pajamas he had in Kyuhyun’s closet. “You’ll like her, I’m almost sure.”

 

Kyuhyun hummed and looked at Hyukjae go to the bathroom. “You were sure with the others as well.”

 

“Shut, slave, do not talk back to your master,” Hyukjae said, glaring at Kyuhyun playfully before going into the bathroom to change his clothes.

 

Kyuhyun laughed softly and rolled his eyes, taking off his own clothes to change to clean and comfortable ones.

 

As soon as Hyukjae was on the bed, covered by the warm blanket, he fell asleep.

 

Kyuhyun turned to look at Hyukjae, his eyes gotten used to the darkness already. He smiled unconsciously, looking at how the smaller male was so calm.

 

Truth was, that Kyuhyun hated the idea of going out on another date, because he had decided he liked Hyukjae instead. Of course he wouldn’t confess, it was useless to confess because Hyukjae would be obliged to be by his side anyway. He would wait, at least until the contract was done and they didn’t spend their days together.

 

Kyuhyun smiled as Hyukjae snuggled closer to him and he didn’t think it twice before hugging his body gently, sliding his hand around Hyukjae’s waist slowly and softly. He looked at the other’s lips and sighed. They almost kissed earlier in that ball.

 

They didn’t even feel awkward after that. Kyuhyun liked how nothing was awkward with Hyukjae. He could just be comfortable with the other and he loved the way he had so much fun with him.

 

Kyuhyun had the slight suspicion that maybe he liked Hyukjae so much because they spent so much time together. He had yet to find out about it.

 

There was also the small little detail that maybe, just maybe, Hyukjae didn’t like him back.

 

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•

•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•●•