Unprecedented

Bound

 

 

 

Chapter 9: Unprecedented

 

“The main theme for the showcase is… passion.” Myungsoo's photography teacher said dreamily with a flick of her wrist.

“Passion?”

“Why yes, Myungsoo. Passion. Ardour. Conviction. I want you to portray all of that in a single photo.”

The class murmured to themselves and began to jot down ideas for their project.

 

“Bear in mind, this will count as 40 percent of your semester grade. It will also open up a lot of opportunities for you as a professional photographer.”

Myungsoo gulped when his teacher's eyes landed at him.

 

“Do. Not. Disappoint. Me. Class dismissed.” She pronounced and everyone filtered out of the stuffy lecture hall.

He walked out of his class feeling a bit clueless and very tired.

How was he gonna get anything done in time for the showcase?

 

Suddenly having a ridiculous thought, he called a person he knew who could help him.

 

“Eunji.”

“What?” She snapped at him through the phone. But he was unfazed by her crankiness; probably unstable hormones or periods or something.

 

“Well hello to you, miss grumpypants.”

“I'm not in the mood, Myungsoo…”

“Wae? Is Hoya ignoring you?”

“You really test my patience. I'll hang up now.”

“ Wait, Eunji ah… Can you tell me the address of Naeun's studio?”

“On one condition…”

 


 

 

“Stop!”

Naeun lurched forward in her bed; fresh off a lingering nightmare. Kicking the claustrophobic blanket away, she climbed out of bed and dragged her tired feet to the bathroom. Splashing her face with cold water, she panted heavily as she reached for the clear orange bottle in the medicine cabinet. She then found the image of a scared little girl staring right back at her.  She stared at the mirror for a second, her face was pale and haggard from a the vivid nightmare, her eyes sunken from the exhaustion.

She had forgotten what she looked like back then.

Maybe she was happier.

 

Hands trembling, she popped open the cap and quickly swallowed a pill.

 

A knock on the door swiftly followed.

“Naeun ah, are you okay?” Eunji asked through the bathroom door.

“I'm fine, unnie.” She lied.

“Did you have a bad dream? Are the nightmares back?”

 

We're they ever gone in the first place? Naeun thought sceptically whilst wiping the sweat on her neck with a towel.

 

“I'm sure it's nothing, unnie. I'm just tired.” She sighed. Eunji knew better than that but she also knew when not to press for more.

“Okay. Call me if you need anything. Goodnight.” Naeun waited until Eunji's footsteps receded and she heard a door click shut at the other side of the house.

 

She sighed when the numbness spread over her, it was subtle feeling that made her relax slightly despite the spiralling headaches. She twisted the tap so that the bathtub was filled with lukewarm water. Feeling nauseous and disgusted, she stripped herself of her clothes that were clinging onto her like second skin.

She sunk into the warm water and watched as the water lapped in the bathtub. Her eyes then trailed to the mirror; the humidity had accumulated and water vapour ran down the mirror. Her hair fell loosely over her shoulder and the ends made pretty patterns whilst swirling in the water.

 

She closed her eyes as the steam rose softly.

Clutching her left wrist,she rubbed the same spot.

 

Because scars never really do fade.


 

 

Naeun was watering the plants at the balcony when Eunji finally woke up.

“Good morning Naeun ah.”

“Morning.”

Eunji knew she hadn't slept since the nightmare last night and part of her felt guilty for being a terrible friend.

 

“You okay?”

“I think so.”

“That doesn't sound very convincing.” Eunji muttered.

“They were in the newspapers again.” Her eyes flickered to the living room absentmindedly.

 

“You should really stop reading the gossip trash from Korea." Eunji muttered crossly.

“I can't help it.” Naeun shrugged.

 

“They're were sighted vacationing in Spain?” Eunji's eyebrows lifted when she saw the words in the newspaper.

“He has time to frolic with his girlfriend yet he has no time to even utter a sorry to you.” Eunji scoffed whilst tossing the Korean Herald in a random direction in rage.

 

Naeun could care less about what he was doing. But she couldn't help the effect he still had on her. She felt her heart squeeze painfully but she chose to ignore it.

 

“I don't want his apologies.”

 

Naeun said quietly as she put the watering can down and leaned against the railing, watching the sun rise as a new day began.

 

“Not anymore.” She murmured softly as a morning breeze blew softly and billowed her hair.

 

“On lighter news… Myungsoo called me.” Eunji smirked whilst shoving Naeun playfully.

“So?”

“He called me to ask about you.”

“It's not good to lie, Jung Eunji.”

“I'm not lying!”

“Whatever unnie…”

“You'll see soon enough…” Eunji muttered incoherently before walking back inside.

 

 

Naeun went to work today a bit later than usual but she didn't have to worry because her trustworthy assistant was there to help.

“Good morning, unnie. I started the class just 30 minutes ago.” Her part-time assistant greeted her brightly.

“Good morning, Hayoung.” Naeun smiled back before putting her bags aside, tying her hair up into a messy bun and putting on her apron.

 

Hayoung went back to guiding the kids to paint their pots. She was good at handling children, that was partly why she hired her. Hayoung was training at the prestigious Le Cordon Bleu and to pay off her fees, she worked at a glacier and also at Naeun's workshop.

Naeun and Hayoung had bonded like sisters over their love of art and good food. Occasionally, Hayoung would let her employer sample her exquisite gastronomical delights she had cooked up in school.

 

It was close to 1.30 when the junior classes finished. Naeun was cleaning up brushes and pallets at the back of the studio when Hayoung suddenly called her.

 

“Unnie ... There's a cute guy here to see you.” She giggled .

“I don't know any cute guys.”  Naeun said blankly, slightly confused.

“I dunno… Says he's a friend of yours.”
Hayoung shrugged and dragged Naeun back to the main room.

 

“Myungsoo?” Naeun gasped when she saw him grinning devilishly at her. She thought she was still dreaming when he asked her;

 

“Am I legible to a enrol, songsaengnim?”

 

 

 

 

 

No one is so brave that he is not disturbed by something unexpected.

-Julius Caesar

 

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

a/n:

I was super busy. It was the last week of school..

And I was busy preparing a bday present for uri betareader-nim / proofreader-nim ! Mianhe~

Please comment okay~