Soiree

Bound

 

 

Chapter 19: Soiree

 

“This is a bad idea, Eunji.”

“Like staying home on a Friday night is a good idea? Aren't my ideas always grand?”

“I beg to differ.” Naeun huffed, offended.

“It's not up for debate, Naeun.”

The passerbys' were staring at them. Who wouldn't? They were arguing in Korean, looked like they just stepped out of the Roaring 20's. Apparently Myungsoo was feeling whimsical and capriciously decided to throw a birthday bash with the theme of Les anneé folles.

The crazy years.

 

“Why am I invited to Myungsoo's birthday party anyway?”

“Isn't it obvious by now that you two share some ual chemistry?”

“Please stop with all the far fetched fantasies. Me and him are just friends…”

“Friends don't look at each other like that.” Eunji muttered before knocking on the door swiftly.

 

“Babe!” Lee Howon, dressed as an anti-prohibition gangster, opened the door. He embraced Eunji and Naeun fake vomited at their public display of affection. Eunji pulled away, grimacing.

“This is vintage, darling. Don't manhandle me.” She pursed her lips and looked past him towards Myungsoo.

A smile alighted his face when he saw the two. He was dapper in his suit, a black silk bow tie and he even had an elaborate marble topped cane.

Looking like the epitome of a modern Gatsby.

I guess one could say he was.

 

“Happy Birthday!” Eunji declared happily, handing him a small package wrapped in silver wrapping paper and a black ribbon.

The contents was a vintage Rolex they had found at a antiquaires near the Panthéon during one of their grand outings. Both immediately knew it was the perfect present for a certain someone.

“It's from me and Naeun. We hope you like it.”

“Merci, mademoiselles.” He flashed them both a grateful smile.

Eunji went to join her Hoya, who now had an unlit cigar hanging from his mouth, leaving her with Myungsoo in an awkward atmosphere.

 

“Happy Birthday.”

“Thank you, you look beautiful. Like a full fledged flapper.”

Eunji had taken the liberty to pick out a costumes. It didn't look too shabby though. Instead, she was adorned in a white fringed dress with beautiful crystals, creamy velvet gloves and a feather headband as the pièce de résistance.

“Why, thank you. You look not so bad yourself.”

He snorted, “Are you kidding me? I look amazing!”

“You're arrogance is very on point with the theme.”

 

The DJ seemed to hear the cue to put on a fast paced jazz song with deep sax notes.

“Dance with me.”

“No one else is.” Naeun pointed out.

“It's my birthday party.” He reminded her and she relented as he lead her under the chandelier and array of shiny balloons.

“Do you know how to dance the Charleston?”

“Would you be surprised if I said I do know?”

“Not really… you seem to be good at everything.” He grinned.

“I'll take that as a challenge birthday boy.”

 

Like a mad rush suddenly taking over them, they started dancing.
Feet kicking to the beat, jazz hands, the sudden collision of their bodies when he grabbed her close and lifted her abruptly.

It was a flash of shimmery fabrics and silk ties when the rest of the party joined them. It was a breathtaking moment, as a whirlwind of kaleidoscope colours spilled onto the dance floor. Excitement burst in every breath, every note.

Their chests heaved and his hands gripped he waist tensely. She could feel his intense gaze settling on her but she didn't look at him.

 

She couldn't.

She wouldn't be able to hold back if she did.

 

Instead, she slid her hands down to his, unlatching them from their iron grip on her. The absence of him made her cold again and she shivered.

“It's time to cut the cake!” A very drunken Henry hollered, dragging Myungsoo away abruptly.

It was loud and boisterous and Hoya popped the champagne bottle heartily. Naeun smiled from afar, she was content just looking at the pandemonium. When Myungsoo finally blew the candles, the chaos ensued and Naeun quickly grabbed a flute of champagne, retreating to the balcony; not realising someone was looking for her.

 

The cold wind was a nice change from the humid apartment, she sat there for awhile; on the table where they had breakfast. She savoured her alcohol slowly, drinking in the scenic night view.

When a plate of cake was placed on the table, she jumped in surprise.

“Sorry for scaring you.” The birthday boy apologised, seating across from her.

“It's okay.”

“I thought you'd like some cake.”

“I do like cake.” Naeun chuckled, he sat down next to her watching her amusedly as she devoured the chocolate creation. He couldn't resist but to dab a smudge of cream onto her nose.
 


“Yah, don't you have a party to host?” She scoffed at him, wiping her nose whilst pouting cutely.

“It's my birthday party, I can do what I want.” He grinned, still managing to look handsome with his hair tousled by the wind. His features looked softer in the night, less sharp and piercing against the streetlights and stars.

“And what is it that you want?”

 

His face turned serious and Naeun's smile faltered.

 

“I want you…  to dance with me.” He held his hand out and when she hesitantly took it, he dropped down into a gentlemanly bow; kissing her gloved hand.

They had to make do with the little space they had on the balcony, Myungsoo finally had a legitimate excuse to pull her close against him.

A violin concerto floated in from the apartment as they were slow dancing. He laughed slightly at Henry's impeccable timing.

 

Schubert's swan song serenade.

Swanengesang aus Standchen, D.9457.

 

He recognised the beautiful melancholy tune. They swayed from side to side on the balcony under the blanket of night sky.

“Your mother must have been Terphiscore… you dance so well.”

She smiled sadly.

 

“My mother did love to dance… when she was still alive.”

“I'm sorry... I shouldn't have said that.”

“It's okay, you didn't know. She would've liked you.”

“Like me?” He questioned her curiously.

“You're charming and handsome...”

“Are you saying your mother would approve of me?” He smirked, happy inside.

“Nope.” She deadpanned.

“You're a tough cookie.”He chuckled at her insistence. Naeun began to hum at the tune whilst counting the steps.

 

He held her petite frame against his, before his exhaustion took over and he pressed his forehead against hers, panting slightly.

“Myungsoo?”

“Stay like this for a moment.”

She didn't know why, but she let him. He looked fragile for once, his eyelashes inky against his pale skin.

When he opened his eyes, he stared at her with such an arresting gaze that she froze when his hand slinked up her back.

 

“Myungsoo.” She gasped at the sudden tension between them, looking up to him.

 

His eyes were adoring.

Adoring her.

 

A fingertip reached up to brush her cheek.

“Naeun.” The way he said her name made her heart flutter in elation. All of her sense abandoning her when he was near her. Such a profound effect he had on her.

She didn't like the feeling of being a lovesick teenager. It was a dangerous and painful; falling in love.

But he was of flesh and bone and kindness and mirth.

And what she wanted so desperately, was for him to kiss her.

 

“Yes?” She gulped as he leaned down, his lips parallel with hers now.

“Naeun, I think I'm-”

 

 

 

 

"We are afraid to love too much, for fear that the other person does not care at all."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

 

//////////////////////////

 

 A/n:

hahahaha im soo mean ending it on a cliffhanger like that!!!

But as Myungsoo said = "It's my birthday, I can do what I want." Yes tis my sweet sixteen on the 19th... which is half an hour away actually!

wow i feel old.

Also, Happy Lunar New Year everyone!!! Gong Xi Fa Cai!!!