Brother

Bound

 

 

Chapter 30 : Brothers

 

“Hyung?”

He gulped down his own saliva. It had been 3 months since Kim Sunggyu called and he rarely (if ever) called just to say hello.

“Myungsoo, are you sick?” His brother asked sceptically.

“Unfortunately, yes I've caught a cold.”

“Well, that's irresponsible of you.” Kim Sunggyu was straight to the point and never the one for pleasantries.

“I miss you too, hyung.” Myungsoo responded sarcastically.

“Your grades are unsatisfactory. You even got a B for world economy and don't even get me started on your accounts.”

“I'm sorry that they're unsatisfactory. I'm trying my best and in my defence, you guys were the ones who casted me off to Paris. You knew perfectly well about my disinterest in all things business and yet here I am. What's next? An MBA?” Myungsoo snapped back with ferocity.

“Don't get sassy with me, Kim Myungsoo. We sent you to Paris not to frivolously waste your life with photography.”
“Wow, thanks hyung. You know because distinction for my work is so frivolous, isn't it?”

“Look, I know this isn't what you want. It's what neither of us wants.”

“Clearly.” The venom in his voice was obvious.

“Myungsoo, father is paying for the fees.”

“You're paying for me to stay away! I get it! I know my place. I am expected to do well and so many great things but I'm the third son. I'm the black sheep of the family.”

“Myungsoo, you're in the best business course in Europe.” He coughed.

“I know I'm lucky.”

 

“Is there a a girl?” His brother inquired nonchalantly, though Myungsoo was caught off guard.

“Why do you care?”

“I care because you're a Kim. Don't do anything stupid to affect your future.” He rolled his eyes, of course his hyung would say that.

“You mean your future?”

“Both our futures, though I'm sure mother would love to have little Myungsoo's running around the country house. But I doubt father would be all amused you found yourself a mistress.” A surge of rage went up through him and he grit his teeth and tried his best to control himself from throwing the phone into the wall. He choose to ignore the jab about his mother favouritism.

“Stop it. You don't know anything.” His voice was hoarse from rage.

“On the contrary, I've heard that she's very pretty, your Naeun.” Myungsoo in a breath.

“Sunggyu, don't you dare.” His voice was dangerously low.

“I wouldn't. I was once your age too. Love is fleeting at best. Our names however are immortal. You can enjoy all you want Myungsoo but don't forget that this all won't last.”

“I'll make it last.” He had conviction in his voice thought he had no idea who he was trying best to convince, Sunggyu or himself.

“If you say so, brother. This is just your hyung showing concern.”

“That's new.” He snorted in disbelief.

“Oh and Myungsoo, Woohyun and Chorong will be in town this weekend. I'm sure they're eager to meet your new lady friend. In fact, I've already made reservations for all of you.”

“Of course you have.”

“Goodbye, Myungsoo. Get well soon.” Myungsoo knew the insincerity behind his voice. It came with years and years of training and etiquette, he would know- 

“Oh, I think I'll die young at this rate.”

 


 

“Hey... Are you feeling better?” Naeun answered her phone whilst washing her hands that were covered in smudges of oil paint.

“Swell. It's just, Naeun-”

“Is everything alright?” She interjected, immediately picking up his anxiety.

“I'm fine. Hey, do you want to have dinner with me this Saturday? I have reservations at a Michelin star restaurant.”

“This is sudden.”

“It is… if you're busy…”

“I would love to go. See you there.”

“See you there, love.” He bit his lip in guilt, because he didn't know what the hell would go down on Saturday. Groaning inwardly for his cowardice, he threw his phone back on the bed and slumped onto the mattress. His brothers always seem to find a way to screw up anything he found dear.

Naeun would not be another cross on their hit-list.

 


 

“Hey..” Naeun smiled when she saw Myungsoo waiting for her on the pavement.

“Well isn't someone dressed up?” Myungsoo whistled appreciatively when his eyes landed on her black strappy dress, a crimson shawl wrapped around her shoulders and her hair flying in the wind.

“Thank you. You look great yourself.” She blushed and stared at the shine of his Italian shoes to the rest of his all black ensemble, his dress shirt as crisp as ever. But she saw the creases on his forehead as if there was an invisible burden on his shoulders.

“Is everything okay?”

He sighed heavily and turned to Naeun with an apologetic face.

“Naeun, I'm sorry.” He said in all seriousness.

“What? Myungsoo, you're starting to scare me.”

“Please don't freak out when tell you it won't just be us this dinner.”

“What?”

 

"Myungsoo!"

Naeun whipped her head back to come face to face with Woohyun.
 

“Hyung.” He greeted Woohyun with a voice so distant and formal that she half expected him to bow. He did slightly, which shocked Naeun even more.

“Myungsoo, it's nice to see you.”

“Chorong noona.”

“Myungsoo, well I must say you look positively fine. Though I doubt Paris is the sole reason for your b happiness.” She smiled, peeking at the girl behind him.

“Well, come on Myungsoo! Introduce her to us!” Woohyun beamed.

“Naeun, meet Woohyun, my brother and Park Chorong, his fiancée.” He introduced her to his brother who was slightly stockier than him but still very much good looking, his grip was firm as he shook Naeun's hand. His fiancee was a petite woman with bangs and rosy cheeks, her dress was of dark navy.

“Enchante, I'm Naeun.”

“We've met before haven't we?”

“Yes… at Eunji's birthday party.”

“Ah yes. No wonder you seem so familiar.”

 

“I heard Sunggyu made reservations and he has such particular tastes. I'm surprised to say the least, I'm sure we're in for a treat.” Chorong grinned looping her arm around Woohyun. They lead the way as the concierge ushered them to the seats with the best view of Paris.

“Kim Myungsoo, I am not prepared for this.” She said through gritted teeth.

“That makes the two of us .”

“How could you spring something like this on me without warning?” She turned to him with a frown marring her face.

 

“Naeun, I'm sorry but this was hard. I couldn't say no to Sunggyu.” He stared at her and she saw something she had never seen flash through Myungsoo's eyes- fear.

Kim Myungsoo was scared of Sunggyu. No- he was scared of what his brother could do.

 

“I understand,” She squeezed his hand.

He sighed in relief, before squeezing her hand back.

“Thank you. I meant it really and I'm sorry.”

“Had to face the music someday.” She shrugged trying to brush it off when the dread was gnawing at her.

“Hey, you two lovebirds!” Woohyun motioned at them to stop whispering and join them at the table.

And what terrible music it was they had to stomach.

 

 

Naeun fidgeted with the thick fabric of the napkin on her lap.

This was nerve-wrecking to say the least.

 

Naeun fidgeted with the thick fabric of the napkin in her lip.

This is unnerving.

“So… Naeun, what do you do?” Woohyun asked taking a sip of

“I'm an art teacher. I have my own studio.”

“Your own studio? Is it successful?” She shifted in her seat and Myungsoo coughed.

“It's doing fine. I have an assistant there who helps me.”

“No wonder you two get along well. You guys must be immersed in your creativity.” Woohyun grinned.

“What does that even mean, Woohyun?” Chorong laughed, her eyes shining in the light.

“Well, it's nice that you finally found someone, you loner.” He smiled honestly for his brother. “Mother's been worried about you. I can tell her you're not lonely at least.”

It was then Naeun saw it clearly.

 

Woohyun did not hate his brother. Not at all. But instead, it was something else.

It was jealousy.

 

It all made sense. He was in the shadow of Sunggyu who was the the perfect picture of a son. But he was also jealous of Myungsoo who had some degree of freedom and was dotted on by their mother.

Woohyun was the son no on cared about.

Howeve, Naeun saw the way Chorong looked at her fiancé. She loved him despite the million shortcomings he had. She loved him because of all his shortcomings.

“How long have you two been engaged?”

 

It was the first question Naeun had asked during the meeting and the couple looked taken aback. Chorong especially, blushed pink.

“We've been together for 2 years and we got engaged 6 months back.” Woohyun said calmly, smiling at Chorong.

“How about you? How long have you captivated uri Myungsoo?” Woohyun leaned in at her, with the most spiteful expression ever.

“We met by accident.” Naeun blurted out.

“I bumped into her at the flower market one morning. I didn't know she was Eunji's friend.”

“And I didn't know he was Hoya's friend. We got set up on a blind date together by them.”

“Doesn't sound like the most enchanting love story?” Woohyun said dryly and Chorong hit him lightly on the shoulder.

“Don't be mean. I think it's pretty cute that they met like that. It sounds like fate.” She said dreamily and Woohyun simply rolled his eyes.

The main course arrived and they all ate in amicable silence.

“Have you two set the date for the wedding yet?” Myungsoo asked, dabbing his mouth with a napkin.

“Yes… 6th August. Since Chorong wants an Autumn wedding.”

“That sounds nice.” Naeun said and Chorong grinned.

“I was wondering if you wouldn't mind accompanying me for a dress fitting tomorrow?”

“Of your wedding dress?”

“Oh course, silly. I don't particularly have any friends in Paris at the moment and I would really like someone's opinion. You don't expect Woohyun to see the dress before the wedding do you?”

“Even if Woohyun would really like to see the dress?” Her fiancé interjected but she pushed him away.

“Don't be pushy. It's bad luck for the groom to see the dress before the wedding.”

Chorong pouted cutely and squeezed her hand. “Would you like to go?”

 

Naeun looked to Myungsoo who nodded. Chorong was nothing like his brothers who despite everything were manipulative in some form.

“Sure.”

“Excellent. I'm sure we'll be fast friends.” she beamed.

“Oh won't you two be great sister-in-laws in the future.” Myungsoo turned a shade redder from his brother's comment.

“Hyung!”

“You're embarrassing the poor boy, Woohyun.” Chorong chuckled.

Myungsoo turned away from his older brother and prayed that the rest of the night wouldn't turn into a humiliate-Myungsoo-infront-of-his girlfriend fest.

 

 

 

 

 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

author's note :

Words can't possibly express how terrible I feel that I cant update as much as I'd like to.

Words can't possibly explain how busy I am.

 

Thanks for reading and I'll try my best to update these hols.

Comment everybody!