Press it

Bound

 

 

 

 

Chapter 49: Press It  

      

Naeun had a bad feeling about this.

She followed behind Madame Kim in a wisp of fabric they called a dress. Naeun had followed her willingly into a fancy apartment complex in the middle of Gangnam. When she got into the elevator, Minho pressed for the top floor and Naeun's eyes widened. Judging from his stiff posture, Naeun knew this meeting wasn't in her favour.

 

Not that anything ever was.

 

“Who am I meeting?” Naeun asked, suddenly alarmed - the flimsy dress, the maids prepping her with makeup and doing hair and almost shoving her head into the water, polishing her like a bloody trophy. It must've been for something, right?

God, this didn't feel right.

 

“Don't worry. I'm not ing you. Though it has crossed my mind but Kai wouldn't like that… he's too loyal to you.” She said in a bored tone whilst looking at her nails. Wow thanks, Naeun inwardly thought. Talk about love thy family. Minho frowned but then gave her a wry smile, nodding his head to reassure her that at least she wouldn't end up dead in a ditch or something.

 

Hopefully.

 

The elevator made a "ding" sound before the doors opened up to a penthouse suite. It was lucratively lavish and every surface gleamed spotless. There was a white grand piano near the windows, overlooking the Seoul city skyline.

Naeun doubted this wasn't ion but she bit her lip from speaking out.

A man waited for them, facing the view, dressed in a sharp suit and when he turned to face them, Naeun gasped. She felt like someone had dumped a bucket of ice cold water on her. 

 

“Welcome.” He said, voice deeper than Naeun remembered.

“Well… she's here. Naeun, he's your fiancé but I doubt the need for introductions.” Madame Kim said with such nonchalance that Naeun paled even more.

“Are you in a hurry, eomonim?” Taemin asked, he was forever charming and apparently that hadn’t changed either.

“Don't call me that Taemin.” She smiled, though her words had bite.

“Lovely as ever.” Taemin said sarcastically.

 

“I'll take my leave.” She nodded and called for Minho who spared one last glance to the frozen Naeun before following Madame Kim back into the elevator, wondering how affected Naeun would be by this ‘reunion’.

“Lee Taemin.” The name was so familiar and yet she felt as if she was reciting a long forgotten nursery rhyme. He smiled back, a smile that used to make her heart race and her palms sweaty, but it no longer had the same effect it used to have. Taemin was still handsome, in the classical way; he and Kai could almost be twins.

“It's been awhile, Naeun. You've been missing for a year. How was your little escapade in Paris?” He walked towards her but Naeun still couldn't move.

“How did you-”

“Kai.” They both said in sync.

 

“What the hell is going on?” She asked, eyes wide when she snapped out her trance. "What did she mean by… by fiancé?” She spoke the word softly, the idea never crossed her mind. Especially not with… Taemin.

“We're engaged. It's all arranged, of course. Times are tough. My company has fallen on hard times and even though it seems bright and sunny over at Viason, with your father’s declining health, Kai assured me - it’s not.”

“I didn’t ask for this, to come back. I don’t want anything to do with the Sons. I still don’t understand why they dragged me back all the way here. I’m no one.”

“It must be hard, to have everything and not want anything.” Taemin's eyes are distant and cold and she flinched. 

“Taemin, you don’t think-“

“No, my dear, it’s not about what I think. I have to act. I need this deal to fall through, to have the financial backing of your near dead father.” He was an inch from her now, caressing her hair with such softness that she almost felt comfortable. Taemin was comfortable. He was safe. He was very good at lying; unlike Kai. 

He would also drop you as fast a bat of an eyelash if it benefitted him.

He needed what he needed and he got what he wanted.

 

If Naeun was still seventeen, perhaps she would be wooed, and grateful to her of a father, ecstatic even. Seventeen year old Naeun would be infatuated with him. She was infatuated with him. He would bring her expensive perfumes and liquor as if she could not afford it herself. He would let her ride shotgun as they rode into the night on his Cadillac. He would buy her flowers. He would let her hang around his friends and pat her head as she acted like the ridiculous piece of arm candy that she was for him. Lee Taemin made her feel good. He made her feel mature. He made her feel worthy and old enough to hang out with the big kids and get stoned. Kai was his closest friend but he never approved of their relationship. He wanted Naeun to grow up clean and intelligent, independent from the men in the world like Taemin. Perhaps, she realized now, that it was because he selfishly wanted her for himself.

Naeun knew him all too well, of his deceitful witty self. How he would earworm the most poetic lines into your hair and charm you with that killer smile. Naeun knew it all too well. She was his longest victim after all.

And now… he needed her for all the wrong reasons. She was his for the taking, wrapped in a pretty dress on a silver platter.

She wasn’t a gift.

 She was a bargaining chip.

 

 “This is a huge bomb… you do realise?” She admitted a bit breathless, the air leaving her lungs in a swift second.

“Look, I know this is sudden but… you have to understand-” His hand gripped her hand desperately but she yanked it back, all too aware of his eyes trailing on her body.

“If you think for one second that I'd marry you then you're incredibly stupid.” Naeun shook her head and pulled the coat around her tighter. The dress she was forced to wear was hardly worthy enough to be called a dress really. 

But Taemin smiled, a small smile that hid everything.

 

“You took the words right out my mouth, my dear. In fact, this is merely a business transaction. You understand, of course. We’re all adults now.” He spoke coldly and Naeun knew Taemin changed after he left dancing. After he left his heart behind.

“If this is a business transaction, I'm afraid that I'm no longer a pawn of the Son family.” She didn’t sound convincing, even to herself.

“Unfortunately, I am and you are.” He smiled sadly. He offered her a glass of water and she took it hesitantly, whilst he poured himself a glass of brandy from a crystal decanter.

“When I left the academy, I was most worried about you. I knew Kai would take care of you but I was still worried. Ever since that day, the thing I most regret doing… was leaving. Not leaving the academy or leaving dancing… it was leaving… leaving you.” He turned to stare at her with those sad eyes and Naeun looked away.

 

Fool me twice. Shame on me.

 

Naeun wasn’t stupid; she knew every trick in his book.

 

“And then you just disappeared off to Paris.”

“Look, Taemin… I went off without telling you because… because…” Naeun struggled to think of a convincing excuse. She couldn’t lie well to Taemin. He knew her too well too. They were bad for each other that way.

 

“Because Kai you. I know, Naeun.” He didn’t look at her when he said that. His voice was low, cautious and Naeun’s eyes widened in shock. 

“He told you.” She gasped, feeling utterly humiliated by herself.  She felt like she had just been slapped and turned away to face the glimmering lights of Seoul to fight off her tears.

“He told me when he was inebriated. I'm sorry.” He sounded too apologetic, like he was lying all too well.

“Why are you sorry?” Naeun’s voice cracked and she blinked back her tears.

“That night, the night that happened, I was with him. I got him drunk, I got him mad. I said something that I shouldn’t have and upset him. It was my fault- because I was drunk to. And w- we fought about you-”


She didn't know when she had become so daring but her hand had moved on its own accord. She didn't even realise what she had done until he nursed his stinging red cheek and stared at her incredulously. Naeun didn't mean to slap him; she was caught in a moment of hatred.

“He was so drunk that night that he violated his own sister! The fact that you were with him before… Don't pretend like you care about me, Lee Taemin. I knew about those girls. Kai was fine with the way things were. We were fine! ”

“You didn’t know the torture you put him through.” Taemin whispered, that faraway look in his eyes.

“He loved me, I know!” Naeun didn’t even notice the tears in her eyes.

“No. No, you didn’t know. You knew nothing of his pain. You didn’t know how much I tried to stop it.” He sputtered, the rage in his eyes now coming to light. “I used you. I know it was wrong. I lied so much. I know. But his feelings for you needed to die! And so I let him believe you loved me. And I let you believe that I was serious about us.” He sputtered and Naeun turned away, tears falling.

“How could you orchestrate around our hearts like that? Like some kind of scriptwriter to our lives? Our feelings?” Naeun sounded appalled like she knew his trap but she played into it anyway.

 

“What I did was because I loved you both.”

“You screwed us both.”

“I cared so much for both of you. I didn’t want to see him like that any longer, Naeun. I still care.”

“How could you lie so blatantly like that to us? How could you push him so far, Taemin? He was hurting so much. And I was hurting so much.”

“I know. Sorry can’t undo anything now.”

“ you, lee Taemin. How dare you use me like this! To hurt him!”  Naeun raged, striding towards him with renewed anger building up. She was not some tool or torture device or poker chip to be handled like one. She wasn’t insane. She wasn't mad. 

 

He caught her hand in midair and next thing she knew was she was pinned on the leather sofa, hands above her head, and his breath on her neck.

“Taemin, get off me.” She was breathless, and not in a good way.

“Not until you cool down.” He growled, voice low and threatening

“Taemin, I can't breathe.” She gasped, trembling, hands curling into a fist. They didn’t even notice the elevator door opening with a ‘ding’ and two people entering the penthouse, with the easy gait of people who always visited.

 

“Get off her, Taemin! She's having an anxiety attack!” Kai barged towards him and pulled him off her whilst she breath in heavily, gasping for the absent air in her lungs. She saw Kai and Soojung look at her from above, Kai with concern, Soojung with curiousity. She certainly felt like a e now and brushed away her tears quickly. She wasn’t this, she wasn’t weak.

“What happened?” Krystal pointed to Taemin's bruise on his cheek.

“She slapped me.”

“You harassed me.” Naeun snapped though her hands were still shaking.

“You're going to be married and you can barely be in the same room without strangling each other.” Kai sighed. “I knew this wasn’t a good idea but he insisted.” He shook his head.

“Are you okay?” Krystal asked Taemin and he shrugged it off coolly.

“I'm fine.”

 

“I can't believe Kai has a wackjob stepsister in the family.” Krystal muttered under her breath. Kai opened his mouth but Naeun stood first.

“Maybe you should reconsider wanting to join the family in the first place!” Naeun lashed out.

“Naeun!” Both Taemin and Kai reprimanded her.

“Apologize!”

 

“Like I said. I haven’t forgiven you. In fact, I won’t.” She hissed to Taemin, whipping around to go out. She reached the elevator but Kai caught her arm. She jerked away from him as if she has been stunned.

“Naeun, wait-” 

“Don't touch me!” Kai immediately let go because he knew he had no right to laying even a finger on her.

“You don't understand. All of you will never understand.” She whispered to herself, fighting off a sob as the elevator doors closed.

 

 


 

 

“You might as well have run away with the circus as a juggler...” Sunggyu said sarcastically when Myungsoo finished his story.

“Or perhaps an elephant trainer.” Woohyun suggested.

Sunggyu’s office was not tense but it was cold. Woohyun sat next to Myungsoo, scrolling through his newsfeed and Chorong kept changing the channels on the flat screen, but Myungsoo knew they listened. At least, he knew Chorong would catch every last detail.

Sunggyu still had a stack of papers on his desk and the thought of entertaining his brothers' whims were not top priority on his list. He was furious, yes, but he could care less as well.

“Well what do you want me to do?” Sunggyu raised an eyebrow.

“He has a point, Myungsoo... These are the Sons we’re talking about. They’re on a different level of notoriety and superiority. They’re Korean royalty.” Woohyun patted the young boy’s back.

“We mess with them, we’ll see our numbers in the red.” Sunggyu warned.

 

“But so are their’s.” Chorong spoke up, like a beacon of light amongst his pessimistic brothers.

“What?” Sunngyu looked confused.

“Remember what I told you?” She nudged her fiancé.

“Should I be remembering something?”

“No. Of course, you didn’t remember. What was I expecting?” She rolled her eyes and shoved Woohyun away when he tried to wrap his arms around her waist.

“Love you too, babe.” Woohyun grinned.

 

“Viason is going through turbulence, their latest investments are doing badly. The patriarch, Naeun’s dad, is in the hospital, said to be dying and there’s a lot of power politics since that boy Kim Jongin took over. Everyone’s taking sides and grappling for whatever they can. It’s a mess.” She sighed, hands on her hips.

“My Chorong is scary.”

“How the hell did you find out?” Sunggyu glared at Woohyun who didn’t inform him of those developments.

“Do you really expect me to be forced to sit through my father’s meetings and act like a puppet and not listen to all these old men talk about their castles?” She sounded annoyed. She hated those things but Chorong was a smart women. She knew playing dumb would make her an unlikely tour de force.

And she was.

 

“It’s been years, the old man’s dying there. Must be a reason they needed her.” Myungsoo stressed.

Chorong gasped and they all turned towards the TV, she had stopped upon the news channel.

“I think we just found out.” She said, eyes focused on the screen as she turned the volume up.

 

“Both companies, Viason Corp and Hansoek Trading have released statements confirming the engagement of Hansoek scion, Lee Taemin and the Son family’s daughter, Son Naeun who recently came back from studying in France.  It seems like Hanseok and Viason are also gearing up for a merger to improve the trade in…” The news caster's voice faded into nothing for Myungsoo, all that rang through his head was that one word – engagement.

And he felt his world crash into the sun.

 

 


 

 

Naeun sat by the sidewalk two blocks away from Taemin’s apartment complex. It was cold and windy and she tugged the coat around her even more. She hated the heels she was forced into, these were even worse than the things Eunji made her wear. The thought of Eunji made her tear up and she bit her lip.  She wanted to curl into a ball and cry. God, she almost did in public.

Then she heard a car honk and she looked up. A black sports car pulled up next to her and the owner lowered the tinted power window. Naeun should be surprised but she wasn't.

“Want a ride?” Kai asked, a small smile forced onto his handsome face.

“I look like a hooker.” Naeun pointed out.

“A classy hooker.” Kai reassured her and she snorted in the most unladylike manner. He smiled a real smile that time, chuckling at Naeun’s antics.

“I don’t want to go back to that house.” Naeun shook her head, it wasn’t home. It would be weird to call it that.

“Whoever said I was taking you back there?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

////////////////////////////////

A/N: It's Kai's bday today guys!!! Omagod !!! 

        I don't know if anyone has noticed but I've been experimenting with my writing style lately?

       Not so much in this chapter though coz it's something I wrote a while back.

      Also, if you're confused ( I know I am) about Jongin-Naeun-Taemin's relationship. More will be explained as we get to see more glimpses of their relationship and past!

      But just so you get this chapter, basically, the three were really close friends, Kai had feelings for Naeun even before they became step siblings and later Naeun developed feelings for Taemin. Taemin thinks of the two of them as his closest friends and knows of Kai's feelings for Naeun. He then dates Naeun to force Kai to get rid of his feelings but it just makes Kai even more overprotective. Naeun then gets caught in between the two...

    And here we are now.

 

    Leave me some feedback and thoughts guys ! ^^