Youth

Bound

 

 

 

Chapter 43 : Youth

 

 

SEOUL, KOREA. 
4 YEARS AGO.

 

Her dreams were a collection of her nightmares. They were a flashback of her youth.

Her sacred youth.

 

“Have you heard? Taemin's been offered a contract as the soloist for the Covent Garden theatre company.” Naeun heard the other girls in her class gossip about the best student in the academy.

“That's amazing. The theatre troupe is renowned for their international tours.”

“As expected… he really is cool.” The girls squealed and Naeun smirked, her face hidden because she was tying the ribbons of her shoes.

There was 30 minutes before the next class, where the boys would also join. She wondered where Kai was and quickly exited the studio, her feet taking her to the place where they would be.

 

She found Taemin and Kai at the back of the academy, behind the fire exit, sitting on the cold tarmac.

They swivelled their head back at the sound and smiled the same lazy smile when their eyes landed on Naeun. Both of them shifted and made space for her in between them. Taemin removed his jacket and placed it on the floor.

She raised her eyebrows.

“Wouldn't want to dirty your tutu princess.” He said, patting the space in between. She beamed as she sat down.

“Thanks.” He took a long drag of his cigarette, passing it to his left out of habit. She was about to take it until Kai reached out to steal it from her.

“None of that for you.” He tutted but took a drag of it himself.

“Ah… wae?” Naeun complained, nudging her stepbrother.

“Kai has a point Naeun.” Taemin said.

“Not you too! I'm not a child anymore.”

“You are barely 18.”

“I'm almost 18.”She corrected Taemin.

“Well it's too bad. Why would you want to ruin that smile of yours? Don't we have a partnering class after this? What would you partner say if he noticed you smell like cigarettes?”

“Well… firstly, we end up with each other as partners anyway because of our complimentary heights. Shouldn't I be the one complaining that my partner smells of cigarettes?”

“She's got you there Jongin.”

“Touché”

 

“Honestly I don't get what all the girls see in you Kai.”

“I second Naeun.” Taemin chirped.

“You're always taking her side. Aren't I your best friend?”

“But your sister definitely has more aegyo to convince me.” He said, passing him the cigarette again.

“Ah seriously… the two guys in my life.” Naeun said,slinging her hands around both of them.

“You love us. Don't deny it.” Taemin smirked, patting her head.

“Perhaps.” She smiled coquettishly.

“Well then… maybe I should prove my undying love for you.” He chuckled.

“Try me Taemin.”

“Can you guys like not flirt in front of me?” Kai coughed awkwardly, passing the cigarette to Taemin but Naeun managed to take it from him. Taemin eased the roll the from her hands and laughed.

“I'm sorry but your brother  is a little protective of you so it seems like I can't make a move after all.”

“Stepbrother.” Kai coughed.

“It's not my fault your sister is hot.” He shrugged nonchalantly, making Naeun blush but the only person who caught her reaction was Kai.

“I'll never get used to you guys.” Naeun laughed that bright laugh that turned heads and made both boys smile.

“And you never will.” Taemin finished, flashing her that mesmerizing smile of his.

 

“I better strech before class. See you later Taemin oppa. Kai, are you coming?”

“In a sec. Go ahead.” He waved her off and she closed the fire exit.

“Let's play a game.” Taemin said flippantly. He has that look. Kai knows that look. It's when he's being devilish and wants to screw him over.

“What game?”

“Just a simple game.  We take turns asking questions and answers yes or no.”

“Okay…”

 

“Does Naeun know about you inheriting the company?”

Kai breathed in sharply. So this was what he was planning at.

 

“No.” Kai sighed. “She doesn't know that you've rejected the scholarship, does she?”

“No.” He took one last drag of his cigarette before crushing it underfoot.

“She doesn't know that her stepbrothers hopelessly in love with her does she?” Kai stiffened at the question but shook his head.

“No.” He then turned to his best friend.

“Do you know she likes you?”

 

 


 

 

“Have you seen Naeun?” Jongin asked a girl from her class.

“She went to speak with Taemin sunbae. She seemed mad about something.” The girl said, shrugging.

“Thanks.” Kai rushed out of the room towards the entrance. But Taemin nor Naeun were in sight.

“Hey have you seen Taemin?” He asked a passing by classmate of his.

“He went out with your sister, I think they were heading for Hangang.”

“Thanks.”

 

His stomache felt queasy as he jogged to the place. He knew where they would be. They would be by the river,where he use to play and mess around with Taemin. They would be there.

But them being together made him nauseous.

“Naeun.” He whispered when he saw them, they were facing each other and Naeun had tears in her eyes.

“Why are you quitting? Why didn't you tell me?” She asked inbetween her sobs.

“I was a afraid. Afraid you'd hate me. Afraid I'd lose you. This is not something I get to choose Naeun. You of all people would know what it's like having to live to expectations. I don't have Jongin like you do Naeun. I'm the sole inheritor of that bloody company wether I like it or not. ”

“You love dance!”

“Of course I do. As much I love you.” He sighed.

“What?” Her eyes widened.

 

Kai gasps when Taemin cups her face and pulls her close to kiss her. She lets him, her eyes closed and she lets him kiss her.

And he stands there watching his bestfriend kiss his stepsister. The girl they both loved. 

“Thank you. For everything. I'll leave you so your brother can take you home.” Taemin's gaze landed on Jongin and Naeun followed his line of sight, surprised to find him there.

“Take care now. Don't smoke or drink and take care of Kai to.” He patted her head affectionately before walking away.

Kai walked over to her and she interlaced his fingers in hers naturally.

 

“He's really going.”

“He's the heir. He has no choice.”

“Everybody has a choice.” Her voice is shakes slightly but he feels the conviction of her words. But he shook his head. Not everybody has a choice. He certainly didn't choose to be in love with her. He didn't choose to be her brother.

 

“It's okay, I'm still here.” He said, pulling her into a hug.

“Don't leave me too.” She mumbled into his shoulder, her tears stained his shirt but he could care less.

“I won't.” He lied. He knew, one day if he did inherit the business, she would be wrenched from his arms. She would be taken away from him. And he would never have a chance.

 

He was her brother after all.

But he dispelled the thought. Because she was still here now. They still had time despite the limitations and constraints.

Hell, he was sure his mother would do something before anything could even begin. Kai sighed.

“Let's go home..”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

///////////////////////////////////////////////

 

A/N:

So this is a flashback chapter and since I'll be gone for a really long time I thought I should leave you guys something to ponder over. Yes ! Taemin !!! Hahaha I feel so evil right now. Oh and his new solo album is gold like literally guys, SM never goes wrong with their solos! But as much as this seems like another huge atomic bomb I think this provides a crucial glimpse at how Naeun was like before and how her relationships with the people around her were and how that has evolved. That and as weird as it seems, Taemin gives me feel like I'm young again. LOL.

K guys I literally wont be alive again till june so dont miss me to much. 

Wish me luck ! (again ^^)