Reckoning

Bound

 

 

Chapter 44: Reckoning

 

 

“Naeun!” Eunji snapped for the fourth time that morning whilst the former watched her coffee swirl in her cup. She was slowly losing patience with the younger who kept losing track of her surroundings as days passed over the wedding invitation debacle.

“Sorry, did you say something?” She looked up from her cup and shot Eunji an apologetic look.

“I said you have class in 40 minutes.” Eunji sighed, trying to shake of whatever unease she felt. 

 

No, Jung Eunji. You should be more patient.

 

 

“I know. Sorry for spacing out.” 

“Is it the lilies?” Eunji asked and Naeun flinched.

“Sorry.”

 

“No, it's not your fault I'm overly sensitive.” Naeun said.

“You're not overly sensitive. I'm overly insensitive. It's not something you should be worried about. They can't hurt you anymore, Naeun.” Eunji reached out for her friend's hands. But Naeun pulled away.

“They can try.” She shivered as she grabbed her bag.

“Hey, Naeun. I'm here you know. I'm always here.” She grabbed her friend's hand before she left.

“I know, unnie. Thank you.” She hugged her one last time before going out.

 

But she knew deep inside… that Madame Kim would stop at nothing to see her dead.

 

 

The door to her art studio was torn apart. It had been grafittied over with obsceneties and Naeun immediately felt her gut drop. There were already police on scene and a few fellow shopkeepers were out in front, some huddled in their thick coats to ward off the oncoming cold.

Oh, it was definitely getting a lot colder.

 

“Oh, mademoiselle Naeun!” Her fellow shopkeeper and landlady, Mrs Betrand who ran the cafe below her exclaimed. Her cheeks were flushed red from the breeze and her husband towered behind her in a dark woolly coat. She had a cable knit scarf thrown haphazardly around her shoulders and the wrinkles on her face became prominent as she looked concerned over her tenant.

“Are you the person who runs this place?” A policeman approached Naeun.

“Yes. I run an art studio here. Is anyone injured?” Naeun's voice pitched slightly as she realised the gravity of the situation.

“It's seems like the local gang broke in.”

“Is anyone hurt?” Naeun gasped.

“No. But we let in a mademoiselle in after we checked for evidence. You can inspect the damages and we'll do our best in preventing this from happening again. It's best to contact your insurance officer as soon as possible.”

“Merci, officer.” Naeun nodded as the officer walked away to talk to other shopkeepers.

Naeun momentarily assured Mrs Betrand that she was fine and that she would sort out the problem with the insurance company, though the elderly lady insisted on helping Naeun ent her back to her husband and reassured her that she would call for help from more younger and capable friends. But when faced with the gawking reality, Naeun bit her lip.

She didn't have any insurance. 
 

She heard the chaos before she saw it.

Hayoung was in the centre of the mess- in the eye of the storm. Her eyes were red from crying and Naeun felt her helplessness.

She felt helpless too.

 

She stepped over the splintered wood and the torn canvases and squatted down next to Hayoung who was in tears.

“Are you okay?” She squeezed her shoulder.

“Are you, unnie?” She sniffled and turned her blearry eyes up to Naeun.

“I'm more concerned about you. Things can be repaired, Hayoung. People cannot. You're not hurt, are you?”

“No, I'm fine. It's just that things have been v-very hard. My sponsor's company recently went bankrupt and they're thinking of pulling me out of the programme. And then this happened… Oh god Naeun, do we even have the money to repair all of this?”

“Honestly, no. But I'll make things right, I'll do what I have to do. I'm sure things will be fine again.” She sighed sadly and hugged Hayoung.

"I c-cant pay for my education if I don't pull through this."

“I know. Now let's start by salvaging what we can ok?” Naeun pulled away and smiled at Hayoung. Hayoung squeezed her hand back.

“Ok, unnie.” She sniffled and Naeun patted her head. They stood up together in the eye of the storm. Naeun sighed again for the god-knows-how-many-times now. A broken doll in the middle of broken glass and splintered wood, a mess of paint and pastel.

 

“I'll have to check our records in the office first… Hopefully they're still intact… I'll have to cancel classes for a month at least.” Naeun said, pushing the door to her office.

She paled when she saw her office. The shards of glass crunched under her shoes and there were papers strewn everywhere. Spray painted in red across the wall were the words: I'M COMING.

Naeun raised a trembling hand to cover , so that her cry wouldn't escape her lips.

 

Because she knew.

 

That Madame Kim would keep her promise.

 


 

 

“Hey, the police called. The gangs are getting worse but it's so... targeted. Naeun, are you okay?” Eunji asked as Naeun crossed the threshold.

“I am most certainly not okay.” Naeun sighed, plopping onto the sofa and burying her face into the pillows.

“Hey, I'm sure I can ask my dad for some funding for repairs and stuff. Cheer up, Naeunnie. It's weird though… My dad hasn't been picking up.” Eunji checked her phone again.

“That's funny. Apart from Kim Sunggyu, the other guy in your life that loves you so much is Daddy Jung.” Naeun pointed out.

“Yup, it's strange… Maybe he's just busy.” Eunji flushed pink at the mention of Sunggyu but brushed her off like always.

 

“Remember that time he held up a  shareholders meeting for an hour because he was listening to you rant about your biased lecturer.”

“He's the CEO. He has the right.” Eunji retorted hotly.

“He then sued the university.” Naeun scoffed.

“Yah! Instead of talking about my shortcomings, we should focus on finding a solution for your problems.”

“Ugh, don't remind me. I'm getting a headache… Wake me up later. I need a nap.” Naeun trudged to her room and immediately sagged onto her bed and closed her eyes, wishing that she would wake up from this nightmare.

 

 

Naeun dreamt of Jejudo.

The view to her bedroom windows in Jejudo was a dream. It always seemed like a dream there. A haze of whatever life she actually lead, of wide stretches of sky and sea, so blue, yet so distinctly different. Two-worlds apart, two shades apart of blue. Just like her windowsill, she lived in a different world, far away from the hustle and bustle of the city. She had come to Jejudo to heal, to recuperate. That's what they forced down anyway.

“Naeun ah, I've gotten you new paints and maybe you can play piano. You know I love listening to you play.” Namjoo called her. Namjoo wore a plain white dress like she always did and a dark apron around her waist. Her hair was cut short, framing her pixie like face. The young caretaker was always smilling and positive, undeterred by Naeun's collasal mood shifts.

But Naeun remained pressed against the plane glass, watching the dark clouds pass by and the rolling waves crash onto the beach. She wondered how long it would take to drown herself in the sea. It was such a pretty way to die. She didn't think trying to drown herself in the bathtub would work. It was too small and she would probably be pulled out quite easily. But the sea was its own mistress.

 

“It's going to rain.” Naeun said blankly.

“It's just rain, Naeun. Storms pass with time.” Namjoo replied, sitting opposite the girl.

“You think this storm will pass?” Naeun turned to her, tearing her eyes away from the dream of a scenery.

“Of course it will, silly.” Namjoo laughed, her eyes smiling with her despite the sombre atmosphere.

“When will the doctor come again?”

“Tomorrow. Why?”

 

“I don't like the doctor. She's invasive." Naeun said nonchalantly.

“It's her job to make sure you're alright. She's afraid you're still experiencing trauma.”

“She works for Madame Kim.”

“I work for Madame Kim.” Namjoo reminded the poor girl.

“But you're not on her side. You're on mine… right?” Naeun turned her lambent eyes towards Namjoo and sighed.

“Of course. I'm on your side. But I'm not that powerful, Naeun. I can only do so much to help you.” Namjoo assured her, though really doubted she needed any kind of assurance. She was screwed.

“Why won't you tell me what happened when I was in that coma? I'm starting to have flashes of images again.” Naeun asked, thinking of her botched up memory. She remembered the pills though, they were bright little things against the grey of Jejudo.

“It's best if you tell the doctor that. She can help.” She shifted uncomfortably.

 

“No! She's on Madame Kim's side. She wants me dead just like the rest of them.” Naeun scowled and turned back to the glass. Namjoo stalked to her and cupped her cheeks, forcing her to stare into her eyes.

“Naeun ah, listen to me. What happened in the time you were in that coma, it's best not to be remembered. I understand you want to know the truth. But the truth is very very ugly. There's a reason I'm not telling you.”

“I'm not a child.”

“No, you're not. But that's all the more reason those people can hurt you. I'm trying. I really am. Please have the patience to wait so we can both make it out of here alive.” Namjoo said, taking her hands into hers.

“I understand.” Naeun resigned herself. She would question Namjoo later.

“Good… How about you play the piano for me, hmm?” Namjoo asked and Naeun nodded in compliance.

 

But then... She never really got another chance to ask her those questions.

 

 

Naeun woke up with a start, her phone vibrating in her hand. She wiped the sweat from her forehead away and accepted the call.

 

“Hello?”

“Naeun! Myungsoo's at the hospital!” Hoya huffed into the phone.

Naeun froze.

“What?!” 

 

 

 

 

/////////////////////////////////////////

 

A/n: Yes it's been god knows how long...

But I'm back! I finally finished high school. Thank god. Enjoy it guys! I apologise for making you wait <3