Dinner

Meeting You (The Series)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 7 Dinner

 

 

“Yamada-san,” a voice was heard.

“Yes?”

“Yes?”

Ryosuke and his mother answered in sync and turned to the source of voice at the same time. The one who called them just now was a bit surprised by the response she got.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I mean Yamada oba-san,” he saw Mirai standing beside the desk near the stair, holding a phone.

He realized the misunderstanding. His companions chuckled and he was so embarrassed.

“Yes, Mirai?” his mother resumed the conversation.

“This is your husband,” Mirai gestured his mother to receive the phone.

His mother stood up and walked to Mirai then took the phone. Mirai returned to where he and his two sisters sat.

“Ne, Mirai-chan, it’s better if you stop calling Ryosuke with Yamada-san,” Chihiro suggested with a playful smile.

“Just call him Ryosuke or Yamachan,” Mika joined in.

Hearing his sisters deliberately offered Mirai nicknames to address him, he got annoyed.

“You should ask me first, you know,” he interrupted.

His annoyance was directed to his sisters, yet the one who apologized was Mirai instead.

“I’m sorry,” she said, a bit flushed.

“Oh, it’s not you,” he waved his hand to emphasize his meaning then glared at his sisters that kept giggling.

“Is Yamada-kun alright?” Mirai asked.

He did not catch her meaning immediately, so she repeated, “Is it alright if I call you Yamada-kun?”

He swore he blushed this time and he immediately put a hand on his face to hide it before answering, “It’s alright.”

Mirai smiled, “Thank you. Then please excuse me. I’m going to prepare dinner.”

His sisters stood up and exclaimed at the same time, “I’m going to help.”

He sighed in relief as he was finally free from the awkward conversation. Yet, before he could relax, his mother returned.

“Where are the others?” she inquired.

“Preparing the dinner,” he answered.

“Well, better join them then. You just stay here, Ryosuke,” his mother instructed.

“Alright, alright. I’m being a good boy,” he obliged, earning his mother’s chuckle.

Being left alone, he recalled how he could end up in this situation.

He was currently sitting in the living room of Suzuki residence. Two days before, his mother asked him whether he could return home earlier because Suzuki-san invited them to dinner. It was Suzuki-san seventy third birthday and she wanted to celebrate it with Yamada family, just like how she did in the passing years before.

He had been excited more than usual because it meant he could have dinner with Mirai and Akira, too. Yet, he did not anticipate that his sisters had got so close to Mirai without him noticing, until the level where they called each other by their first name. Thus he felt that he was left behind.

“Yamada-niichan!” a cheerful voice he knew so well entered the room. Akira trotted down the stair with Suzuki-san, a big smile in his face.

“Eh, you’re alone, Ryosuke?”

He stood up and bowed to greet the house’s owner. “Good evening, Suzuki-san. The others are preparing dinner.”

The old lady frowned, “How many time should I tell you to call me Grandma?”

He chuckled awkwardly, “It’s just a bit… unusual, Suzuki-san.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter