A Promise

Meeting You (The Series)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 13 A Promise

 

Does Mirai like me?

Ryosuke was still wondering about what Chihiro said the other day. If he traced his memories, he could find some clues about it actually. Some time ago, Akira said he had watched Hey!Say!JUMP’s concert videos with Mirai.  He remembered Mirai said she did not have time to follow the trend, so why she started to spend her time to watch those? Moreover, he was sure Grandma Suzuki did not have his or his band’s video cassettes, so Mirai possibly bought or rented it. But then, why should she spend her precious money on those? Well, it was possible she borrowed it from her friend. She said her friend was one of JUMP’s fans, right?

In the concert, Mirai brought only his uchiwa. It could be her friend’s or she could be buying it in the venue. But then, the fact that she accepted his invitation despite she was not a fan of his band was rather questionable. The uchiwa added to the suspicion. Oh, and the way she waved the uchiwa shyly to him that time when the met eyes. Well, she had not used to go to the concert. That was possibly the reason?

How about the cake? His sister was not entirely wrong. He also wondered why should she be that kind to him. They were friends only recently, and she had jobs beside took care of Akira, yet she spared her time to make him cake, not only once, but twice!

And the strawberries…

Mirai put a lot of strawberries on the cake. She knew he liked it. Also, she knew his birthday. He was sure he never told Akira about his birthday, so it was likely she found it out by herself. She also bought his single…

Dared he consider those as the signs that Mirai reciprocated his feeling? Even if those were not, he did not want to lose to that man!

As the last thought appeared in his mind, he eyed the boy who engrossed in playing video games in his room. He could start to find the truth from Akira, he thought. He rose to his feet then walked up to the said boy.

Plopping down beside the boy, he asked, “Ne, Akira, I saw you and your sister yesterday with someone.”

Akira was continuing the game while answering, “With whom Nii-chan?”

“That’s what I want to ask you. You were with a man in a white car.”

“Oh!” Akira exclaimed without taking his eyes off the screen. “It must be Kanata-niichan.”

“Kanata?”

“Yes, Hongo Kanata. Neechan’s friend.”

He frowned. Akira called the man with his given name. Were they that close?

“Are you and your sister close with him?”

“Kanata-niichan often played to our old house. Mom liked him because he is smart and kind to us. Oh, and Kanata-niichan is going to be a doctor. He said he will make me healthy again, Niichan.”

He was at loss.

It turned out they were indeed close, even Mirai’s mother approved him. This Kanata guy was going to be his big rival.

“Ne, Akira, do you like him?”

Akira seemed contemplating his answer, though still engaging in his game. “Kanata-niichan is very kind. I like him, but…”

“But?”

Akira turned to him, grinning, “I like Yamada-niichan more.”

It drew a grin from him in return, and he probed further, “Why do you like me more?”

Akira had returned to his game when answering, “Because Yamada-niichan is funny and…”

“And?”

With this, Akira put down the joystick and turned to him with hopeful eyes. “Niichan, do you like Neechan?”

He could not help but blush slightly. “Wh-why do you ask that?”

Akira’s voice softened, almost saddened, when answering, “Neechan rarely plays with her friends because of me. I want Neechan to be happy… and Neechan looks happier when talking with Yamada-niichan. I think she likes you, Niichan.”

Happiness mixed with curiosity and disbelief. He asked, “Really?”

Akira nodded, “Neechan never talks much about her friends, but lately she talks a lot about Niichan… and listens to Niichan’s songs, too.”

His heart soared high. “Really?”

“Uhn!” Akira nodded enthusiastically, but then saddened again, “So… do you like her, Niichan?”

“Erm…,” he saw Akira’s eyes glinted with so much hope that he could not help but be honest. “Yes.”

Akira smiled widely then said, “So, it means Niichan will take care of Neechan, right?”

Ruffling Akira’s hair, he answered while smiling, “Of course. You, too, have to take care of your sister. Okay?”

“… I’m not as strong as Niichan…”

“But you will. So, until you’re strong enough to protect your sister, I’ll take care of her for you.”

“Really, Niichan?”

“Uhn!” He gave the boy an assuring smile.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter