The Epilogue

Meeting You (The Series)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The Epilogue: Seal of Fate

 

 

The sounds of alarm rang out in a certain bedroom. Ryosuke strecthed under the blanket while one arm blindly reaching for the clock on the nightstand. Once his hand grabbed the object, he turned off the alarm and yawned. His eyes fluttered open. Realizing what day that was, he literally threw his blanket away. After a few more yawns and lazy strecths, he got up then grabbed a towel and his bathrobe. He needed to take a bath earlier than usual because this morning JUMP would depart to Thailand for their international tour.

A quarter hour later he finished. Walking out of the bathroom while drying his wet hair with a towel, he was forced to halt before the door when his feet froze and refused to move. It was not an illness or such, but it was because what he saw before his eyes. His brows knotted in wonder. He was sure he left his bed still in its messy state, yet now the bed had been made and the blanket had been folded neatly. He looked around the room, and found out that the glass he used to place on the bedside table also had missed. The curtain had been drawn. His bedroom was as tidy as it had been before he went to bed last night.

Someone had already been in his bedroom when he was taking a bath, tidying his bed, uninvited. He concluded though still in wonder.

There were only two people he shared his apartment key with, that were his mother and her. But the latter should haven’t been in Tokyo today.

Suddenly his nose caught a pleasant smell: Food. Quickly dressed in a shirt and sweatpants, his feet stepped out from the bedroom, following the direction of the smell.

There in his kitchen, he saw the woman who had intruded his apartment. Silently stepping closer, he approached the person whose back was facing him. She seemed too absorbed in whatever she was doing to realize his presence.

As the woman had not realized his presence, he took the chance to observe her. She was clad in a loose white sweater with dark brown bottom. Her hair was tied in the side, complimented with a pretty hair ornament. She was humming a familiar song, and when he got closer he recognized that it was one of JUMP’s ballad songs, Star time.

He was amused that she still did not realize that he had stood behind her. Before losing his chance, he encircled her waist with both his arms, pulling her to his embrace. She gasped loudly, but a few seconds later heaved a relieved sigh.

Placing his chin on her shoulder, he greeted, “Good morning, Mirai.”

She tilted her head to look at him, smiling happily, “Good morning, Ryosuke.”

He smiled hearing the way she called his given name. It hadn’t been long since she could stop calling him Yamada-kun. He loved how his name spoken by her with that cheerful tone.

He saw the frying pan on the stove, “You are cooking?”

“Uh-huh. I’m making breakfast for you.”

She refocused herself on the food without pulling away from his embrace. He enjoyed being close with her like that and really glad that now she allowed him to after all the awkward moments they should go through in ther first months after reuniting a year ago. Back then, she used to be jittery at any closeness he initiated that they barely held hands. He used to be so careful around her, trying not to mind her, though he felt a bit dejected because he could not even touch her without making her uncomfortable. Yet, it was her who then bit by bit got them closer.

He still remembered the first time she initiated to hold his hand when they went on their secret date; her cheeks reddened and she shyly smiled at him when he looked at her which he responded by tightening their entwined hands. He also remembered the first time she leaned her head on his shoulder when they watched star constellations in a certain hill, also the first time she kissed his cheek to bid him goodnight when he drove her home. Those little moments were precious, and he then realized that she had been trying to show him that despite she had not been used to it, she did not mind about their closeness.

Inhaling her sweet scent, he remarked, “Sometimes I think you look more like my caretaker than my girlfriend.” He referred to how she had tidied up his bedroom and cooked for his breakfast. It was not the first time for him to find her in his apartment like that.

“Can’t I take care of you?” She retorted while placing fried shrimps on the plate.

He smiled before pulling away—but not before he stole a kiss on her cheek and made her blush.

Taking a stool before the kitchen counter to sit, he propped up his chin on his palm, looking at her and asking, “When did you arrive?”

She tilted her head slightly, “Hm, about half an hour ago.”

“I mean, when did you return from your filming? Aren’t you supposed to be in Osaka?”

She pouted cutely, “You aren’t glad that I’m here?”

He chuckled, “Silly. Of course I am.”

She let out a short giggle before giving him the real answer, “My plane landed just a few hours ago.”

“Have the filming finished?” He asked before taking a sip on the warm tea she had served him. She was having a new drama on going, and she had been outside the city since a few days ago.

Arranging the plates on the dining table, she answered, “Only the scenes in rural area. The rest will be filmed in the city.”

He took a quick glance at the clock on the opposite wall. It was still 7 a.m. Looking back at her, he said, “You should have taken a rest, you know.”

“I am.”

He raised a brow, and seeing his expression, she added, “Well, I really wanted to see you, that’s why—“

“I miss you, too,” he replied seephisly.

Her lips curved up in an instant, and it always amused him whenever his simple lines could make her smile and look so happy.

“Breakfast is ready,” she announced a moment later.

He took a seat across her when she started serving the meal. Giving him a bowl of rice, she asked, “You’re going to depart to Thailand today, right?”

“Hm, my flight is at eleven, but I should meet with the other first in studio then we’ll go to the airport together,” he answered while picking up his food.

“Oh,” she only muttered that, and it was enough to make him look up.

“What’s wrong?” he asked because she looked a bit sad.

“Nothing,” she replied while mustering a smile then took her own bowl, exclaiming, “Itadakimasu.”

Shrugging, he decided not to probe further. He subtly observed her while eating. He sensed something was bothering her, but she was reluctant to tell him. He definitely would make her speak or else he would be restless during the tour by worrying about her.

After eating their breakfast, Mirai washed the dishes, and he let her be for she would always insist. He excused himself to prepare for his departure. He had had his bags ready, and he just had to check his passport and such.

“Ryosuke?”

Mirai’s voice came from the direction of his bedroom door when he was adjusting his jacket. Turning his head to look at the door from which Mirai’s head popped in, he replied, “Hm?”

She opened the door wider and stepped in, asking, “Is there something I can help?”

“Not really. I have finsihed.” He answered while looking at his reflection on the mirror.

From the mirror, he could see how she looked at his travel bags, and subtly heaved a sigh. She then sat down on his bed, directing her eyes at him and saying, “Please, send my greeting to the others.”

“Alright.”

“How long you’ll be there?” she asked more.

“About a week.”

She remarked, “You’ll be very busy, ne.”

“So will you,” he smirked.

She mustered a smile, but he noticed the sadness in her eyes.

“Alright then,” she stood up. “I’ll be outside if you need me.”

Just as she was walking to the door, he called, “Mirai?”

She halted and turned around, “Yes?”

He walked to his bed and sat down. Patting the space beside him, he beckoned her, “Come here for a while.”

She tilted her head slightly in confusion, but she came to him nevertheless.

“Do you need something?” she asked, sitting down beside him.

He did not answer right away, instead he shifted in his sit so he faced her. Seeing the question in her eyes, he brought an arm around her back, pulling her into his embrace. She stiffened for a moment before completely surrendered, leaning to him and returning the gesture. It was by that reaction that he then realized she came this morning to seek consolation from him.

Hearing she sighed, he asked, “Something happened in the filming set?”

“It’s not a big deal.”

“Hmm, for me, everything about you is important, even a trivia.”

“Ryosuke...,” she muttered his name.

“Tell me?” he persuaded further.

She nodded against his chest. “I... There was a scene in which I had to act with children. They reminded me of my brother.”

He waited for her to continue.

“I miss Akira,” finally came her honest answer.

He smiled gently before dropping a light kiss on the top of her head.

“I miss him, too,” he replied while thinking about a way to cheer her up. “How about visiting him when I return from Thailand?”

“Will that be fine for you?”

“Why won’t it be?”

“People may spot us,” her concern about his career was always intact.

It was true. For the last year, they had so rarely go out for a date. They were also too busy to have time to go on a date. The last time they went was half a year ago when they visited his parents and had a picnic with all Yamada family. Most of the times, they spent their time indoor. It was either he came to her apartment or she to his, though the latter was more frequent. Their apartments was close. Hers was just on the opposite road of his. That’s how his agency had arranged when they knew they were dating.

Johnny-san was aware of that the moment Mirai showed up as the supporting cast in his movie. Thus, he made precaution by settling the rule that they should hide their relationship for the sake of both of them. As much as he wanted to refuse the order, he could not help but to comply. Mirai was still in her debut, so having ‘scandal’ with him would do her no good. People might label her as parasite on his popularity instead of appreciating her acting skill.

“Don’t worry. Paparazzi won’t hang around cemetery, will they?”

She giggled shortly. “But around you, yes they will.”

“Nah, we’ll think about that later, but note it first in your schedule, okay? Tell your manager that your Sunday next week is mine.”

A bright smile bloomed on her face when she nodded, “Alright.”

Pulling away from him, she said, “Now, I’m already fine. Shouldn’t you leave for the studio?”

He stood up, “Yeah, I just wait for my manager to pick me up.”

He reached for his suitcase but when he was about to grab the hand bag, she beat him.

“I’ll bring it.” She said.

He only smiled in gratefulness then they both exited his bedroom to bring the bags to the front room. Just as they finished, his phone rang. A new text from his manager telling that he had been near his apartment.

“Take care while I’m away,” he told her.

“Okay.”

“Don’t forget to eat, and call me if something happen.”

“Got it, Sir.” She giggled while pushing his back so he would walk to the door to open it when the bell rang.

He checked the camera in the intercom and saw his manager standing outside.

“Sugi-san has arrived?” she asked, tiptoeing behind him.

“Hmm,” he answered while unlocking the door.

“Ah, Ryosuke, we need to—“ Sugi-san stopped talking when he saw Mirai behind him. “Oh, you are here.”

“Good morning, Sugiyama-san,” Mirai greeted first, coming to stand beside him.

Sugi-san mustered a smile, “Good morning, Shida-san. You’re so early.”

“Because I knew Ryosuke will depart today, so I come to see him off.”

“Well, then I don’t want to disturb your moment,” Sugi-san grinned friendly. “I’ll bring your bag to the van. And remember, we need to go soon.”

“Alright, I’ll meet you in the lobby.” Ryosuke said.

After Sugi-san left, he turned to Mirai while saying, “I have to go now.”

Mirai smiled and replied, “Alright.”

“Do you want something for souvenir?”

She shook her head, “No. Just return safely will be more than enough.”

“Pray for me then.”

“Always.”

He leaned in and left a peck on her cheek, saying, “I’ll see you when I’m back.”

Smiling shyly, she replied, “Have a safe trip.”

He took another look at Mirai’s smiling face before eventually walked out of his apartment. He let out a mild sigh, but then smiled. Just now, when he left Mirai alone in his apartment, it reminded him of the moment his father departed for work every morning while his mother sent him off. He liked the feeling of having someone sending him off and waiting for his return from the trip.

“If you have been sure that she is the one, then what are you waiting for?”

He remembered his father’s words a few weeks ago when he consulted him about his relationship with Mirai.

He slipped his hand into his pants pocket, the thing he kept in it. He wished he would already have enough courage to present the thing to Mirai when he returned from Thailand later.

**********

Rain started poured lightly outside. His tears had leaked out, staining the pale cheek of the lifeless form of his best friend. She looked so peaceful, as though she was sleeping. He remembered how she laughed, how she smiled, how she looked at him. He remembered when he accidentally found out that she had been loving him as more than friend. She was sweet and kind, but unfortunately he loved someone else.

“Be happy over there, Yuki-chan,” he muttered his most sincere wish then added, “This is the last gift from me.”

He leaned down and tenderly touched her lips with his own.

“Thank you and sorry for everything.”

“WOAHHH!”

A loud cheer broke out when the clips ended.

“You were so sly, Yamachan!”

Ryosuke heard the teasing thrown by Yuto, and could not help but be embarrassed. 7 were doing a sleep over in Keito’s apartment, and out of the blue Yuto suggested to watch a show on tv. He was anticipating the worst since the show they were watching featuring Mirai as one of the guest. She was promoting her new drama in the show.

Of all, why they should rewind that scene... He grumbled inside.

“I knew he did it on purpose,” Keito chuckled, added on the teasing.

“Stop it you guys,” he said.

“The clip we saw just now is from your debut appearance, right, Shida-san?” The presenter asked.

“Yes, that’s right.”

“But Mirai is cute, no wonder if he couldn’t resist her,” Yuri joined, watching the tv.

“I thought you said she is ordinary back then,” he raised a brow.

“Well, she is not now,” Yuri shrugged off. “She is way prettier now with that self-confidence.”

He smiled. Yuri was right. Mirai gave off a different vibe than she was back then. Now, she could raise her head high and was more confident in herself.

“You got to act with Yamada Ryosuke-san.”

“Yes, that’s lucky of me.”

“And you two were emitting a really good chemistry in that scene,” the presenter remarked.

“Of course!” Yuto exclaimed as though answering the question. “They were so in love for real, that’s why!”

He was annoyed yet amused at the same time seeing how the three reacted watching the show.

“Ah, is that so?” Mirai answered.

“Also, you were Yamada-kun’s first kiss on the screen, weren’t you?”

“Ah, that...,” she got embrrassed.

“And his first kiss in real life, too!” this time it was Yuri.

“Oi, I never told you that!” He quickly countered.

“Oh, c’mon. I know you inside out. You can never hide anything from me,” Yuri smirked.

“That’s right!” Keito and Yuto laughed supporting Yuri.

He could only facepalm his own face, feeling so helpless. Three against one was not fair at all. He sighed.

“We were told that the kiss was not in the script.” The show went on.

He noticed how Mirai kept touching her hair to slip it behind her ear or in the next second holding her left arm. Her gestures told him that she was uncomfortable during the recording of the show.

“Ah, yes, that’s true. Yamada-kun said that he was improvising because he thought it would be more touching that way. The guy gave his best friend a kiss as the last gift to show that he was grateful and apologizing as well for her love.”

“Weren’t you surprised?”

She let out an awkward chuckle, “Of course I was, so were all the staffs and the director. That time I had my eyes closed, so I didn’t realize what was happening, but when the director showed me the recording, I got so embarrassed at once.”

Chuckles were emitted.

“And it was said that Yamada-kun apologized to you after that.”

“Yes, he apologized for doing it without asking my permission beforehand.”

He remembered that Mirai got angry at him because of that kiss. She acted casually around the shooting crews, but when they were alone, she did not talk to him at all. That was why he kept apologizing the whole day. He needed Kazumi’s help to find out the real reason behind her act. Turned out she was just too embarrassed to even just see him after realizing that he had kissed her. Her first kiss was his, and his was hers, too. He could not stop grinning for days after that.

“But the result was satisfying nevertheless,” the presenter gave an opinion.

“The director liked it, so it was decided to be included. And we’re glad that people liked it, too.”

“Ah, so then... it’s been like almost two years after your debut. How different it is the feeling to act with various people?”

Mirai answered with mentioning some of her experiences in acting. To be honest, he selfishly wished she would not have to act any form of intimate gestures with any actor, and so far his wish was granted.

“Ne, isn’t she shining brightly now?” Keito remarked. “She got to act in a lot number of drama, and she has gained recognition with the award she received last year.”

“With you and her being so busy, I wonder how your relationship work.” Yuto added. His relationship with Mirai was not a secret for JUMP members and their managers. Though he sometimes would prefer it to be his privacy, having his friends knew about that somehow made him at ease. At least, he should not put his guard up when talking about Mirai with them.

“We’re just fine,” he started getting uncomfortable with the talk, so he rose to his feet, announcing, “I’m go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter