The Best for You

Meeting You (The Series)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 27 The Best for You

 

One morning in winter, Yamada family house looked so quiet. It was just about the time sun rises, yet the chill air got every member of the family chose to snuggle under their blanket. Yet, Ryosuke’s bedroom was different.

“It’s done!” a woman’s voice was heard from inside.

Tapping the bandage on his left forearm, he said, “Thanks Mom.”

“You should be careful with your wound. Don’t let it be wet again.” His mother instructed with strict face.

He grinned apologetically, “Sorry. Not again.”

His mother stood up and glanced at the clock then told him, “It’s still so early. You better get some sleep. I’ll wake you up later.”

He nodded and immediately yet carefully got on the bed, sinking under the blanket wearing only inner vest on the top. Seeing him settled already, his mother left the room.

He adjusted his position so that it would be comfortable for his wounded arm. Sighing in satisfaction after some toss and turns, he rubbed his hand gently over the bandage.

He just returned home a couple hours past midnight after getting medical treatment in the hospital. His mother was the only one awake when he was back. No one told his family about the incident after the press conference yet, so it was understandable when his mother got so surprised seeing he returned with a bloody shirt.

His mother told him that she could not sleep and somehow was worried about him, but since she knew he was working, she did not call to check on him for she knew well he did not like to be disturbed when working. His mother was always like that. She always had a sharp intuition regarding her children.

He told her that he was fine and briefly explained about the occurence.

After someone shouting, the crowd thrown into hysteric when they saw a young man pointed a knife at him, ready to launch another attack after succeeded inflicting a cut on his arm. If not for his quick reflex to step aside in the last second, he would have got stabbed on the stomach. The securities took action in a flash and tackled the attacker down to the ground. More securities were soon called to usher the crowd away and kept the location safe from another potential attack. The staff quickly had him returned to the lounge where they then applied the first aid to stop the bleeding of his arm. All members looked angry yet anxious at the same time while he still tried to understand what had just happened.

The police arrived a moment later and arrested the young man. Everyone insisted him to go to hospital to get further treatment, and so he did with his personal manager and a few members. Turned out, it was not too deep, so he just needed a few stitches to be allowed to go home.

Being stubborn as he was, though he had been warned, after getting home, he took shower as he used to do after work, and it ended up wetting the bandage in his arm. Thus he asked for his mother’s help to change the bandage.

He sighed. While his eyelids grew heavier, some thoughts flashed in his brain. When the morning came, the news of his assailant would certainly be broadcasted, along with the press conference, the sudden performance of NYC. Also, he could imagine how his sisters would react when they found out about his wound later. The days ahead would be more tough for sure. Gathering his will, he thought that at least he needed a good rest while he could. After praying that his absence in JUMP’s concert today would not bring bad effect on them, he let himself drown into sleep.

**********

Ryosuke thought it had been a few hours since he went to sleep when he was woken up by sound of someone crying. As he regained his senses, he realized the voice sounded so close. His eyes fluttered open as he forced himself to wake up. The first thing he saw was the ceiling of his room. He sighed subtly in relief, yet when he turned his head to look at his side, he almost jumped in surprise.

Beside his bed was Mirai. She was crying with her head buried in her folded arms that rested on the bed. He sat up abruptly, causing her to jerk her head up. When their eyes met, both widened their eyes.

“Why are you crying?”/ “You are already awake?”

They spoke at the same time, but he spoke with worried tone while she was with surprised one.

A second passed with them staring to each other, and it was unusual for Mirai to be the first to break the silence.

With tears still flowed down her cheeks, she looked at him and muttered, “I thought you wouldn’t wake up.”

“Eh?”

“They said you’ve been unconscious for hours,” she continued. “I was so scared you would never wake up from your coma.”

“Unconscious?” He was confused. “Coma? Who said that?”

“Chihiro-neechan and Mika told me that...,” she paused and her eyes once again widened, seemed she was drawing a conclusion.

“You...,” she stuttered. “You were just fine?”

“I was sleeping,” he innocently answered.

“Bu-but... they said...” she trailed off with disbelieved stare.

He chuckled briefly, “See, I am fine. If I were in coma, I should have been in the hospital instead of my bedroom, you know.”

He expected she would also laugh after realizing that she was tricked by his sisters, yet what he saw was the reverse. Anger was clearly shown in her expression. She brushed her tears and stood up.

Biting her lower lips, she muttered, “I hate people playing with my feeling.”

He widened his eyes, and before he could react, she ran out of his room. He literally threw his blanket away and rushed to run after her. Leaping down the staircases, he saw she halted briefly in the living room as she saw his sisters.

“How could you be so mean to me?” she spoke facing them.

“Mirai-chan, we only joked. We’re sorry.” Chihiro was the one who replied hurriedly.

Mirai shook her head and resumed her sprint before he could reach her.

“Your joke is too much,” he said when he sprinted pass his sisters.

She already ran out from his house, but he was quicker grabbing her arm and halted her in the yard.

“Wait, Mirai,” he said. “What my sisters did... please, don’t take it to your heart.”

She looked away from him, and as he saw no intention of her to rebel away, he let go of her arm.

Turning her back against him, he heard she said, “You also lied to me.”

“Eh? I didn’t,” he rebutted in confusion.

“Yes, you did. You said your agency wouldn’t let anything harm you, but... you get hurt.”

A smile formed by itself when he realized the implicit meaning behind her action. “You came because you’re worried about me, right?”

She did not answered, so he added, “I told you I can protect myself, and I have proven it. It’s just a shallow cut, not really a serious injury.”

She wiped her hand to her face, seemed like brushing off her tears. There were mix feeling stirred when he knew she was crying because of him. He was happy that she indeed cared about him, yet he regretted that he made her crying instead of smiling.

“Please, don’t worry,” he tenderly said.

“I’m...,” she paused before continuing, “I’m relieved that you’re alright. Please excuse me then.”

“Mirai, wait—“

He did not have a chance to finish his line because suddenly Kanata’s car halted before them. Soon, he saw Kazumi got off the car with worried face, then followed by Kanata. Kazumi rushed to Mirai and hugged her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter