Fair and Square

Meeting You (The Series)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 15 Fair and Square

 

 

Ryosuke was in high spirit. Hey! Say! JUMP concert tour had finished. Akira was progressing well, though still had to stay in the hospital. After going home together back then—which was a week ago, he felt his relationship with Mirai shifted, even just a bit, to a new direction, the direction he had wanted for some time. They still did not meet often because of his works. But, now he could ‘boldly’ text or call Mirai even only for asking about how she was doing. Almost every morning he sent her good morning message, and she would never fail to reply. He had been able to talk with her more freely, and found out that she was not timid as he thought initially. She was lively instead.

He visited Akira in the hospital as often as his schedule allowed. Not quite surprising, his visit often collided with Kanata’s. It was either he came when Kanata had been there or the other way around. It seemed like he and Kanata had mutual understanding—or mutual dislike—that they barely stayed in the room at the same time. He would excuse himself immediately when Kanata arrived, and Kanata would do the same when he came to visit Akira. They never talked except for exchanging greeting. He could not tell why he did that, but he just felt rather awkward being in the same room with Mirai in Kanata’s presence.

Just, he did not expect Mirai to notice that. Yesterday, when he drove her to the hospital—after he insisted they should just go together since he was going to visit Akira, too—she opened the topic.

“Yamada-kun, forgive me if I’m wrong. Do you dislike Kanata?”

He turned his head briefly to her as he was surprised by the question, then he refocused his gaze to the road ahead. “Why do you think so?”

“I just feel it. The air between you and him somehow felt a bit tense.”

“Ah, maybe it’s just because I’m shy to meet new people,” he chuckled awkwardly.

“But he isn’t.”

“Huh?”

“Kanata is not shy and he is usually friendly. But he doesn’t talk much with you. I thought that maybe something happened between you two.”

She looked worried that he could not help but want to reassure her.

“Nothing happen. Maybe it’s because of my character? I’m blood type B,” he said.

“What’s wrong with that?”

“You know, B is often indifferent that people think us as cold and… well, arrogant.”

“You’re not, though.”

“You think so?”

“Yes,” she said and after a few seconds added, “I think maybe it’s because Kanata is jealous of you.”

He perked up. “What do you mean?”

“Before Akira met you, Kanata used to be the only one he calls Niichan. And the fact that you are an idol whom Akira admires possibly makes him feel a bit threatened,” she chuckled lightly before continuing, “Kanata can be childish sometimes; he doesn’t like to be in the second place.”

He was getting jealous as she talked much about Kanata.

“Both of you are my friends,” she said after a moment of silence hanged between them, her voice a little serene, “I hope you and Kanata can be friends, too, Yamada-kun.”

He let out a subtle sigh then replied, “I’ll try.”

He sighed as he recalled that conversation.

“What’s wrong?” Daiki’s voice woke him up from his trance. He forgot that he was going out with Daiki. They were currently in a café after strolling around.

Sighing once more, he asked, “Ne, Dai-chan, what should I do?”

“About what?”

“About Shida.”

“What about her?”

“I’ve told you that she has a guy best-friend, right? How if she likes him? They have been together for years, but I have just known her for… four months. Besides, he is so kind and smart… and quite good looking.”

“Baka! How can Yamada Ryosuke feel inferior, huh?”

He slouched down the table, resting his chin on it. “This is the usual Ryosuke when not in idol mode, you know.”

Daiki did not respond immediately, but scrutinized him with his eyes. “Just confess already. That’s the only way to know her feeling.”

He frowned, “How if she rejects me?”

“Then just move on.”

He glared at Daiki. He had told Daiki how much Mirai meant to him, so how could he move on so easily…

“I don’t tell you to stop liking her,” Daiki added as though read his mind. “If she doesn’t like you as you like her now, you should just try and try again and make her like you. Simple, right?”

“But won’t it be awkward between me and her after that?”

Daiki shrugged, “Don’t know. Never be in that situation before. But at least you don’t need to hide your feeling behind the friendship. It will be easier if you just woo her openly. That’s what I think. Now, it’s up to you.”

“Yeah… it’s up to me…” he trailed off, watching his strawberry ice cream on his glass melted.

**********

Ryosuke had just dropped Daiki at hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter