The First Step

Meeting You (The Series)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 6 The First Step

 

 

“Aah, finally I can have a long sleep tomorrow!”

Ryosuke heard Yuri exclaimed happily after they finished practicing for the day. Tomorrow would be their day-off after they practiced in marathon, so he could relate to his friend’s feeling. The past week was tough for them since they had to practice several new songs and dance moves as well. However, they did it enthusiastically because their management told them that the new songs would be performed in their next concert tour. The agency had approved to hold the tour for them starting from May which was two months ahead.

“Yamachan, what do you plan for tomorrow?” Keito asked while they packing up their things.

“Why?” He replied with question. He and Keito used to hang out together in their days-off.

“Want to stroll around the town? I heard there is a new music shop. I think I’ll take a look for a new guitar and you maybe can find something for your sax.”

Remembering about his saxophone, an idea suddenly came into his mind. “Ah, I’m sorry, Keito. I think I can’t tomorrow. Maybe next time?”

“Yeah, fine, next time then,” Keito shrugged off.

After they finished packing, they head to their van. Once they reached the usual dropping point, they part ways to their respective destination. He took the train to home immediately.

Walking from the train station to his neighborhood, his heart somehow picked up. He rehearsed some line of sentences he created in his mind since some time ago. After a time, he finally reached his first destination. He looked at his watch and wondering if it had been too late to visit, yet he convinced himself that it had not. It was still early night after all, he said in his mind. Eventually he pressed the bell of Suzuki residence.

He started getting hesitated when there was no immediate response, yet as he was about to turn around to leave with dejected face, the door opened.

“Yamada-san?” the voice he secretly wanted to hear and the face he was hoping to see greeted him in confusion.

“Oh,” he exclaimed nervously, his heart beating faster. “I apologize for visiting this late, Shida-san,” he bowed to greet back and to apologize at the same time.

A second passed before he received a reply, “You want to visit Grandma Suzuki?”

“No,” he put a hand on his nape, a gesture when he was nervous, “Can I meet Akira?”

Finally a subtle smile appeared and confusion vanished from her face, “I’m sorry, but Akira is sleeping now. Maybe I can pass your message?”

“Oh, sure,” he smiled awkwardly, “Actually I want to ask your permission, too.”

She tilted her head slightly and he noticed how he put so much attention on her gestures, “For what?”

“Erm, tomorrow is Sunday,” he started, “And I have a day-off tomorrow. I plan to practice my saxophone at the riverbank. If Akira wants, he can go with me. Of course, only if you allow it.”

He praised himself in his mind for not stuttering.

Her smile widened a little when answering, “Akira will be happy to go with you. I’ll tell him. When will you go tomorrow?”

“Is nine alright?”

“Sure, I’ll walk Akira to your house before nine.”

“Oh, no,” he replied fast, “I mean, I’ll pick him up here instead.”

She frowned a bit, the first time he saw it, and she asked, “Will it not trouble you?”

“No, it’s not a problem,” he smiled certainly this time, sighing in relief mentally.

“Alright then,” she agreed.

“Well, then excuse me. Sorry again for disturbing your rest. Oh, and please send my greeting for Suzuki-san,” he said after his purpose completed.

“I’ll tell Grandma Suzuki,” she smiled again,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter