Truth or Dare

Sober Hearts

JESSICA’S POV

 

The night really was a fun night. Despite the fact that all I did was avoid and avoid him. I don’t know if it was only me who noticed his sudden silence, or everyone, but it seemed that all eyes were on us that day, trying to check how we were going.

 

There were times that I will look at their direction and catch them looking intently at us, looking like they’re observing our every move—making it harder for me to portray a different persona. I should act like my attention is only focus towards Taec, who’s talking about something I don’t really understand but I just nod and smile.

 

You know that feeling when you’re eating and someone sits in front of you and just stare at you? That’s how I’m feeling right now. Conscious about every move I make.

 

Well, like they say, you’ll get used to it sooner or later, I really did get used to that feeling of being observed. It felt like there aren’t even eyes glued to me.

 

All in all, it everything went on smoothly, my acting skills never failed me, but I’m still wondering why they kept giving us (or was it just for me?) the look. I was curious, yes, but there’s something inside of me that gives me the feeling that once  knew the reason, everything will all go down a whirlpool—it’s going to mess up this already smooth-flowing situation.

 

When we finished eating, we decided to hang out a bit more. It’s too early for us to go home, anyway. “Why not take this time to know more about our Jess’ Taec?”, as I quote Sunny. It seems like she’s the only one enthusiastic regarding me and Taec, she’s the only one giving off the positive response.

 

All the other girls gave each other a meaningful look, right now, I’m not able to read the message they’re trying to send to each other. If feel lost.

 

“Hmm. Why not?”, Taeyeon said with a very suspicious look and voice, and again, sent a look that I don’t understand to the rest of the girls. I really don’t like where this is going.  

 

Before we left the mall, we argued as to where we should “hang out” (if you can call it that), and ended up with two choices—the boys’ place or YulSeo’s house. In the end, we just made a wise decision to stay at the girls’ house because it’s closer to our current location and all of us, if not all, are familiar as to where it is.

 

And again, we had the same driver-passenger pair. Compared to the earlier drive, I’m really really comfortable with Taec. It shocked me that he and I had almost the same taste when it comes to music. We were crazily singing along to a song that played on the radio. One moment, the song was played, the other, we looked at each other, and lastly, we sang our lungs out as we randomly dance.

 

The people in the other car, right beside us were looking at us like we’re some sort of crazy people, which is by the way close to the truth.

 

When we pulled off the car in front of the house, we were sweating like crazy, and our voices sounded kind of hoarse. The rest were looking at us with expressions that neither Taecyeon nor I could understand. We were dumbfounded as to what those reactions meant, so we gave ach other a questioning look.

 

However, that exchange of questioning look only lead to another set of laughing brigade, gaining more weird looks from the rest.

 

Since it seemed that they couldn’t get anything relevant from the two of us, they proceeded to entering the house. It was Yuri who opened the door, since she was the one holding the keys and partly owned the house. It was Seohyun who made the welcoming speech.

 

“May we officially welcome you to our house, and also our hangout place.”, she said with open arms as to show that we’re really welcome here.

 

“Woah. Daebak. You really own this place?”, Eunhyuk said as he continued to scan the house.

 

“It already looked lovely outside, I didn’t expect it would look even better on the inside.”, Siwon added in an astonished tone.

 

The rest of the boys continued their amazement bonanza—despite the fact that they already went here last time. Psh. It brings back memories.

 

*Flashback* (Chapter 12)

“What’s wrong? Why are you crying? Are you hurt? Jess?”

 

How could he? I thought he wasn’t the type of guy. I never thought he could do that to me. He  couldn’t have possibly done that.

 

He looked so worried. He had this look in his eyes that shows he cares. He was carefully checking my elbows, my knees and my shoulders.

 

I held back my tears and made a smile. Maybe it was just my mind running crazy and imagine things.

 

No other guy has ever cared for me like this much for a long time.

 

I got caught in that moment that I didn’t realize I was already gazing at him for a long time. It was only when our eyes met that I snapped out of my trance.

 

Our eyes met and there was this moment when everything us seemed to have stop. My eyes locked to his, and his eyes locked to mine.

 

Slowly, as if we had all the time in the world, our faces drew closer and closer and...

 

*booooooooooom*

 

He fell down the bed.

 

*End of Flashback*

 

Upon remembering that scenario, I couldn’t bring myself to face Hae or even be 1.5 meters close to him. With the uncomfortable feeling I have with him being close to me, I volunteered to go make the snacks for everyone. The girls followed me.

 

They were sitting on the couches when we came back. There wasn’t enough space for all of us to fit in, so the moment they saw us, they transferred to the floor then offered the seats to us.  

 

We didn’t do anything relevant, just talking and talking until we ran out of things to talk about and someone suggested we go watch a movie. As for me, I was busy diverting my attention from the guy staring at me all through the night to the guy who’s covering my eyes from the scary scene on the screen.

 

Eunhyuk was the one who suggested that we go watch a horror movie. Of course, the girls protested to that suggestion—except for Hyoyeon and Sunny. We were outnumbered, they boys plus the two girls were pro-horror and us, the remaining girls, anti-horror.

 

I’m not really fond of this genre of movie. And mind you, it’s quite dangerous for someone to watch a horror movie with me. Believe me, I might ruin your eardrums.

 

Taecyeon was sitting on the floor, right below where I was sitting. And Hae was sitting right across me, also on the floor.

 

I wasn’t really paying that much attention to the movie, my brain flying somewhere close to Hae. During the scary scenes, Taec would raise the pillow to cover my eyes while the rest of the girls would scream their lungs out, and Hyo would just laugh—the morbidness of this girl, really.

 

Since all the lights were turned off to intensify the feels and almost everyone’s attention are glued to the screen, they aren’t able to see what Hae is doing.

 

His actions are confusing me. At one moment, he would say that “we’re not dating” despite the fact that we’ve been through a lot, then another, doing... THIS!

 

The movie ended, and all the girls—again, except for Hyo—got all paranoid, trying to find comfort by cuddling with the guys. Me? I really don’t know what to do. I didn’t understand the story, so I’m not feeling the same thing they’re feeling, and it would be awkward for me to do the same thing they’re doing. I don’t want to cling unto Taec when a pair of eye is seriously looking at me from one end of the room.

 

“I didn’t really expect that you’d react this way to the movie.”, I was snapped out of my thoughts with Taec’s statement.

 

I just gave him a sly smile in response since I myself can’t imagine myself reacting this way after watching a horror film.

 

“OMG It’s already really late.”, said Tiffany.

 

I fished out my mobile phone from my pocket and checked the time, and damn, it’s really late.

 

“Does this mean that we’re having a sleepover?”, Sunny asked with glee, her eyes sparkling.

 

The rest of the girls eyed one another, trying to send a mental message to each other, asking if it would be a good idea to actually do a sleepover. It was Taeyeon who gave the concluding look, so that means we’re really sleeping here.
 

“I guess we don’t have that much choice, but to approve to that. It’s already kind of late, and it wouldn’t be safe to travel back home at this hour. So, yeah, we’re sleeping over.”, as expected, Sunny would be the first one to rejoice.

 

“This my first ever sleepover!”, she exclaimed.

 

I was shocked at the remark she had left. Really? This is her first sleepover and we’re not doing anything that special and memorable?

 

“Are you serious? First?”, I asked her. She gave a nod, and a smile—half happy, half embarrassed.

 

“You didn’t tell us, we could’ve prepared something to make this night memorable for you.”, I was actually feeling bad about, unconsciously pouting.

 

“You don’t have to. I mean, I already had fun, and it’s already memorable. The fact that it’s my first, I would never be able to forget.”, she smiles as she fidgets with her fingers.

 

“Aww.”, all the girls chorused and gave Sunny a hug.

 

 

 

Hyoyeon, being the queen of parties, immediately suggested that we should play games. “To compensate with the lack of preparation we had for Sunny’s first sleepover.”, as I quote her. Being the party girl that she is, and with the type of parties she goes to, it wouldn’t be wrong to get nervous with the game suggestions she’s going to give.

 

“TRUTH OR DARE!”

 

For a moment I felt relieved that it’s just that game. Well, I’ve been playing that since I was a child and all.

 

Brain buffering...

 

Oh no! I’m going to play this with Hyo. This is going to get really... really.. dangerous for my secrets.

 

Okay. Calm down. The best thing to do is to just choose dare and never choose truth or else my  secrets and my privacy will be put on the line. I would lose my sanity sooner or later if that happens.

 

The game begins and I’m as scared as hell, with my heart beating thrice as fast as it normally does, my palms sweating like crazy and my legs shaking abnormally. Sitting on the floor, cross-legged isn’t really of much help to me. It makes it harder for me to hide my nervousness.

 

Hyo master started the game with a powerful spin of the bottle that was placed in the center of the circle we have formed. It was also her who chose our arrangement. Fortunately, Hae was sitting two person away in my right side, and Taec, across me. It was kind of like a 3 o’clock, 6 o’clock and 12 o’clock arrangement.

 

It took quite some time for the bottle to settle and put to a halt. The first person to have be pointed at by the bottle was... Tiffany. She spun the bottle again to determine the person who would ask her truth or dare.

 

“Omg omg!”, Sunny squeals and claps when the bottle points at her. 

 

The happiness she has is so contagious that even I myself giggle for no specific reason. Just the view of her having fun is making me all hyped up inside. She’s like the adorable dog I’ve never had. (Shh! Don’t tell her I’ve compared her to a dog. ;))

 

“Wait. I’m sorry guys. I haven’t thought about a question yet. Help..?”, we burst out laughing with the sudden stop of her giddiness that was then replaced with a confused look. She looks soooooo adorable! Even the nervous Fany ended up laughing with us.

 

“Oh wait. I have to ask you first truth or dare, right? Well, that totally slipped my mind. So... Ppani ppani Tippani, truth or dare?”

 

“Uhmm. Dare!”, Fany answered indecisively.

 

“Oh-kay. But I was hoping you’d say truth. But nevermind. Dare it is! I dare you to look at the person you like in this room, wait! It has to be with someone of the opposite gender and it has to be within 10 seconds.”, Sunny gives off a triumphant smile.

 

“Seriously? 10?  Don’t you think that’s too long How about 2 seconds?”, Fany retorted.

 

“5 seconds.”

 

“3 seconds, take it or I’ll just do the consequence.”

 

“Okay. Deal. Three seconds. Ready..”

 

“Wait! I’m not prepared. Phew. *inhales and exhales deeply*. Okay, ready.”

 

“Ready.. Go!”

 

“One.. Two.. Three!”

 

As soon as we said three, Fany snatched back her gaze and stared at the tiled floor. I can see her face turning crimson. Without looking at her, I already know who she looked at. It’s not doubt that she would look at him. I’ve known her feeling for him without her even telling me.

 

“Wait. Who did she look at?”, Eunhyuk asked.

 

“We’re not telling. You should have paid more attention. But I can give you a clue: It’s not you. So now, let us proceed. Fany, do the honor of spinning the bottle.”

 

The next person to be pointed at is Sunny and the person to ask her is Teuk.

-------------------------------------------------