Pals and Plots: Pals

Sober Hearts

SUNNY’S POV

 

For my whole stay here in this school, I’ve never encountered someone as good-hearted as her. I won’t deny the fact that I judged her before, the stereotype popular personas in the school.

 

It feels good to finally have a friend who accepts me as me, and not because of my background.

 

I never thought that I could be close to someone who’s like her. I know. I’m judgemental to judge her even before I met her. I can’t put into words what I’m feeling right now. To finally have a friend here in school is so....

 

I couldn’t find the words!

 

What shocked me was, she knew my identity, my family background, but she didn’t try to be close and befriend me in a fake way.

 

I truly appreciate that. Because I know for a fact that when people know who I am and how I’m related to Uncle Soo Man, they’ll act all plasticky and befriend me to their advantage.

 

And I don’t want that. I’d rather have this loner getup that have fake people surrounding me.

 

So we’re now on our way to the cafeteria. We’ve already talked about a lot of things about each other, and to my surprise, we have some similarities. I don’t know, I felt comfortable opening up things to her. I even told her one of my fears, my phobia of loud noises. 

 

I was so stuck in our conversation when my eyes landed on him.

 

Our school’s PA announcer and flower boy.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Lee Sungmin

 

Just like Sica, he’s the first and only guy i have ever admired in this school. Though the only conversation we had was when I spilled my lunch on his clothes. Well, Sica is in the friend zone, I mean friendly field of admiration, he.. I don’t know what words to use.

 

The moment my eyes landed on him, I felt as if my feet were glued onto the ground and my body frozen. It’s like my body was paralyzed, every sense in the body.. useless.

 

Except for my sense of sight, which is seeing a majestic view.

 

Loud noises should be heard because of his fangirls’ presence, but why can’t I hear anything? It’s like the whole scene was put into mute.

 

Omo~ Another body function turned active. I.. I can hear now. Not the noise around me, but the deafening pounding of my heart. I’m already used to this. This happens everytime I see him, so I don’t find this unusual.

 

“Ouch!”, I wince.

 

The romantic feelings I felt moments ago suddenly evaporated into thin air when someone pinched my arm.

 

I looked at the person who pinched me, and saw an angel giving me a teasing smile. I must admit, it was painful, but how could I get mad at this angel, who is also my one and only friend?

 

“Yah! Based on your expression, you have some lovey-dovey feelings for that guy over there. Tell me the truth, am I right?”, she said as she teasingly poked me.

 

I just bent my head, looking down, because I couldn’t answer her anymore. She already caught me, and I’ve always wanted to have someone to open up to about these things.

 

I was blushing like crazy, so I covered my face with both my palms, trying to cover my face the best way I can.

 

“Though it’s alright if you don’t tell me yet. We just met, and I know you need some more time to get used to this.”, she added and then smiled.

 

“Aniyo~ It’s not like that. Well, can I tell you a secret?”

 

“Of course you can! And as a friend, I promise not to tell anyone about your secret. Not unless you tell me or allow me to do so.”, she even raised her right hand, a gesture people usually make when they’re making a promise to someone.

 

We grabbed some food first, left the cafeteria and headed to the place where I usually “hangout”, by hangout I mean bullied...

 

 

 

The janitor’s closet.

 

“Okay. So, you’re speculation is correct. The guy we saw, yes! I liked him.”, I said it really fast and covered my tomato-colored face.

 

I didn’t expect her reaction. She squealed like a dolphin, very unique and very cute!

 

“Tell me more! Tell me more!”, she said excitedly.

 

“Hmm. What else would you like to know?”

 

“Things like... hmm.. has he ever showed signs of mutual feelings for you? Have you ever had any conversation or anything of some sort?”

 

“I don’t know. I guess no. Psh. How could he like me. He’s popular, I’m not. Well, I’m also popular, but not at the same aspect of popularity as him. Percentage of chance of him liking me would be close to.. let’s say.. 0.0000000000000000000000000000001%? That’s a lot of zeroes. Hahaha.”, I laughed bitterly.

 

“I don’t get it why people care so much about that image thingy, as if it’ll get them any good. And Sunny, don’t be so negative. Someone out there would notice you and like you. They just have to know you better, and realize you’re really cute.”

 

We talked and talked until we have no food left to eat.

 

All the talking made us hungry even more, so we headed back to the cafeteria to just hangout and eat a lot.

 

Sica and I looked for a table to settle down at, and I headed to the counter to order some food, since I offered to treat her. It’s not everyday that I get a chance to meet a friend and do some treating.

I had to order different types of food because I forgot to ask what Sica wanted to eat. The trays were already in my hands, and I was about to turn around when someone suddenly showed up behind me. the tray hit the person and spilled some food.

 

"Oh no. Aiish!"

 

That's all I can say because I'm afraid that if I say more, I'll get bullied right after I get out of here.

 

So I'd rather apologize now than get played on later.

  

"Sorry. I'm really sorry. I know I'm stupid for not looking. Forgive me."

  

I'd rather take the blame. I'm used to this already.

  

"Why would you apologize when it's my fault in the first place."

 

O.O

 

A very familiar voice spoke. The voice that serenades the whole school often.

 

Oh no. Why do I have to be humiliated in front of him everytime we have a conversation? And this is dangerous. ( > . < )

"Sungmin-ssi. A-aniyo. I-it's my fault. I'm the one who did wrong here, I’m really so clumsy. Forgive me. And please don't tell anyone, especially your fangirls. I beg you."

If those bullies hurt me often without having any reason, I don't know what would happen to me if his fangirls know I spilled food on their beloved flower boy. My stay here has already been one hell of a ride, I don’t want it to actually be hell.

 

“No, no, no. It was my fault for standing right behind you when I know that you were carrying your tray of food. Look, your drink got spilled. Here, let me buy you some again.”

 

OH. EM. GEE! IS THIS FOR REAL? I MEAN. SUNGMIN IS REALLY IN FRONT OF ME AND IS GOING TO BUY ME A DRINK?

 

Even though I admire him so much, I didn’t expect him to be this nice. Yeah yeah, I misjudged someone again. I’ve thought of him to be like a stereotype popular guy in this school.

 

Those bratty, spoiled, and advantage-taker guys! ( > . < )

 

But I’ve mistaken, again. I should really stop judging people.

 

“I-it’s alright, Sungmin-ssi. I-I can buy it again myself. Omo! I’m sorry. I spilled some in your clothes. Otteoke? I know. I’ll just buy you new ones. Aiigoo~ How can I be so clumsy?”

 

“Hahaha. Why are you apologizing to me, Sunny? It’s not like it’s your fault. Don’t worry about my clothes, I got backup in my locker.”

 

OH. EM. GEE. HE’S SO NICE!!! ( ^ 3 ^ )

 

He’s laughter is like a sweet melody... ♫♪♫

 

Wait....

 

Brain buffering...

 

Did.. did he just say Sunny? ( O . O )

 

T-that’s my name. THAT’S MY NAME!

 

MY HEART... MY HEART IS BEATING LIKE CRAZY!

 

I just wish my heart isn’t beating loud enough for him to hear.

 

“Hey. Really. It’s alright. Don’t worry. I’m not gonna tell anyone. If ever those crazy fangirls would know, I’ll tell them not to hurt you.”

 

( O . O )

 

HE... HE’S HOLDING MY HAND. I’M HYPERVENTLATING. SOMEONE SAVE ME.

 

“Need any help carrying our food, Sunny?”

 

Phew! My angel saved me again. That was a close one. I thought I would run out of oxygen.

 

“Aah. Could you please bring this to our table, Sica? I’ll just buy our drinks again. I kinda spilled it.”

 

“Oh, okay. No worries.”, she took the tray and winked as she left me. Kyaaah~ I hope he didn’t see that.

 

When Sica left, I bought the drinks as fast as I could without looking at him, avoiding would be the best tactic for situations like this. As soon as I got hold of the drinks, I left the counter and made my way to our table.

 

As I reached my destination, I saw my savior giving me her teasing look. I can’t help but blush, so I bowed my head and covered my whole face. I intended to sit at the chair that would allow me to face the opposite direction of the cafeteria’s counter.

 

“Sunny-ah~ Even your  ears are turning red.”, at that statement, I covered both my ears.

 

Wrong move, that made my face visible to her. I just got tricked!

 

“Hahaha. You’re so cute Sunny! Why did you leave him there? You could’ve extended your moment. You could still come back there and buy something or any excuse of some sort. He’s still standing there anyway.”

 

Mwoh?! He’s still there?

 

“Go ahead! Or do you want me to help you?”, I just gave her a confused look. ( O . o )?

 

“Aiigoo. For today, I’ll be your angel, and at the same time, your cupid.”, she whispered in my ears and...

 

“Oops! Looks like you spilled your drink.” ( ~  . ^ )

 

I saw her intentionally hit my drink to spill it. I didn’t get wet or anything since the direction of the spill is towards the vacant seat.

 

“Seems like you should buy again. *whispers* Go! While he’s still there.”

 

Kyaaah~ Otteoke? Should I really come back there or should I just stay here and do what I’m good at, avoiding?

 

Well, I guess times like these come once in a blue moon. It’s not like everyday I could get a cupid to help me make some moments with him.

 

I stood up, breathed deeply, took in as much oxygen as I could, and headed towards the counter again.

 

I saw him still standing there, to where I left him moments ago, not moving even an inch and just bowing his head down. On one of his hands, I saw him holding the same drink I bought, and the same thing on the other.

 

“Uhmm. Excuse me.”, I said, half referring to the counter-lady and half referring to him.

 

On my peripheral vision, I saw his head straighten up and looking at me. Call me assuming or what, but he’s really looking at me.

 

“Can I buy another one of the drink I bought moments ago?”

 

“Oh sure. Wait a mo--”

 

“Oh miss. Don’t worry. She’s not gonna buy anymore. Sorry.”, he said, talking to the lady.

 

“Here. Take this. I bought it for you. As a peace-offering gift. I’m sorry if I spilled the other one. Please. Take it.”

 

IS THIS HEAVEN? TELL ME! IS THIS REALLY HEAVEN? IF NOT, WHY AM I SURROUNDED BY ANGELS?

 

Oh-kay. What am I gonna do now? Accept it?

 

Jessica conscience: yeah. Of course you should! I told you to have a longer moment with him.
 

*breathe in* *breathe out* be calm. Accept it as calm as you can.

 

“Oh. Thank you. You didn’t have to, it was my fault anyway.”

 

“You’re welcome. And once again, it wasn’t your fault. It was mine. Don’t feel guilty anymore, arrasso?”, he said then..

 

PATTED MY HEAD.

 

Holy guacamole. He just patted my head. I felt electricity from his touch. So the books are correct! Even the slightest touch of someone can give off some electrifying feeling.

 

 

JESSICA’S POV

 

I guess my work here is done.

 

I saw some sparks between them, and it made me realize that it’s time for me to leave those two alone.

 

So, I decided to just leave a note in the table to inform them of my departure.

 

Sunny,

I’m sorry if I have to leave so early without saying goodbye to you.

You see, my friends texted me that one of our subject-teacher was looking for me, so I had to leave immediately.

I really enjoyed hanging out with you.

Enjoy eating the food! I know you’ll be with someone.

And btw, if you have something sweet to tell me, text me!

Here’s my number: *insert cellphone number here*

I’ll make it up to you next time.

Hugs & Kisses from Jessica :*

 

There’s nothing wrong with doing some little white lie for the sake of the good, right?

-------------------------------------------------

I would really appreciate it if you share this story with your friends, do some upvote or leave some comments~

I was gonna update yesterday, but the internet connection here got a little crazy, so I ended up posting it today.

Belated Happy Birthday to my forever GorJess bias and Ice Princess, Jessica. ^O^ <3