Games

Sober Hearts

JESSICA’S POV

 

I don’t know how we were even able to explain what happened during the span of time we were out. All I know is that they now think that there's "something" between me and Hae. Well, I don't know if there really is that "something".

 

Sequence of my day went as usual.

 

They were guys approaching me despite the fact that I'm with the girls and the guys. I don't want to throw them off or humiliate them in front of many people, so I accepted the flowers and other things they gave me. But then I told them that they shouldn't give next time. That feeling of being treated greatly in front of many people dusturbs me.

 

During those times when I was being approached, Hae was beside me. Some guys were brave enough to even attempt to approach me, but some got scared of the way Hae was looking at them. I feel all fluttery inside. :"> He was even insisting that he'd carry my bag for me. But of course, I prefer to bring it on my own. No special treatment, rememer? However, he was so persistent that my things are heavy, so I gave him the books I was carrying. They weren't that heavy, but since he's insisting.

 

I don't know why, but if other guys would do this, I would feel pissed of because that'd be like belittling my strength, but why am I feeling the opposite? I find this gesture of his sweet and gentle. Aiigoo~

 

Lunch break came and all of us ate together. Sunny even joined us today.

 

"Is it true?", she half-shouted the moment she reached our table, which made us jump in shock.

 

We all looked at her with a puzzled expression, unaware of what she's talking about. While we were wide-eyed and lost, she was wide-eyed and amazed.

 

“Oh. I’m sorry for this behaviour. I was just so hyped up about what I heard. So tell me, is it really true?”, she excitedly asked.

 

And again, all of us have no idea as to what this little girl is talking about. We gave each other a look, trying to ask if anyone has an idea about what this girl is spazzing about. And of course, we gave each other a I-don’t-also-know-what-she’s-talking-about-you-should-ask-her look.

 

As the brave soul of the group, I was the one who asked her. She frowned a bit, but then regained that happy and oh-so-energetic smile she had moments ago then asked,

 

“Is it true that you and *coughs* Hae *coughs* are already dating?”, it took quite some time for me to process what she was talking about, and when I fully understood her statement...

 

Boom! goes my face! Crimson red from my forehead to my toes. Well, that’s just an exaggeration. It’s just my whole face turning tomato-red in front of everyone and beside Hae. I also saw Hae bow his head down, but I can see his ears turning really really REALLY red. That view added to my embarrassment, adding another tint of red on my face. I could really felt my cheeks burning.

 

I saw the girls’ and the guys’ expression, they were also shocked because of the question, but after a while, their expressions changed into a teasing one.  They all looked at us, so just like Hae, I also bowed my head.

 

I felt a warm touch on my cold palms, and when I looked, it was his hands. It wasn’t that hard for him to do that, since he’s sitting right beside me. When everyone was sitting on the opposite side, it was not visible to them.

 

Trust me, my face couldn’t get any redder than this.

 

But his touch made me feel a little bit less tensed. It was really comfortable. Really... soothing to my heart.

 

I gathered my strength and was about to speak out when he cut in and spoke first, “No, we’re not dating.

 

Ouch. Was I just rejected by a guy who’s holding my hand in front of many people? It felt like my heart is pinched by a thousand clippers and is stabbed by a thousand needles. Out of reflex, I snatched my hands away from him, stood up and said, “Excuse me.”

 

I ran my way to the nearest comfort room. This so-called “power” of mine is coming handy. When I entered, everyone went out. I locked myself in the moment I was sure that no one was following me and that everyone has already exited.

 

Maybe my tear ducts are just malfunctioning. Why is it producing too much tears? I tried my best to stop these tears from coming out, but it just won’t.

 

Instead of fighting it, I just let it be. Maybe through releasing these tears, the painful feeling in my heart would vanish.

 

I thought there was already something. Did I assume? But it was just this morning that he made me feel so special, so loved. Pabo~ Maybe you’re just one of his toys. He’s a guy anyway, that’s their thing. Play with girls, make them feel special then leave them. I really thought that he’s different from all of them.

 

Thinking about it, it wasn’t long after I forgave and let go of Jae that all of these things happened. You’re really stupid, Sica. You never learned. You thought he was different? Then, you thought wrong. All men are the same. Different? Oh please! Stop making yourself believe in such impossible thing.

 

I composed and fixed myself. Putting on makeup to cover up the swelling of my eyes. Put some more makeup to make myself look more seductive. I started to the first three buttons of my white polo shirt, revealing a bit of my chest. Made my hair look a bit messy and folded the end of my shorts to make it even shorter.

 

If this is their game, then let’s play. Two can play at that game. *evil smirk*

 

I went out of the comfort room with a new persona.

 

I’m just sick and tired of people taking advantage of me. I got hurt. It took me a long time to trust someone again, and when I did, they break that trust. I shouldn’t have let my guard down, especially to a guy. They’re one and the same anyways.

 

As I walked on the corridors of the school, all eyes were on me. Of course! Who wouldn’t look at the ever-so-stunning Jessica Jung? I mean, the not-only-stunning-but-also-seductive Jessica Jung.

 

I entered our room during the second period in the afternoon. As expected, and again, all eyes were on me. Everyone was shocked. I just gave them all the iest smirk I can ever give and strut my way to my seat.

 

It was 10 minutes before the arrival of the next teacher, so the girls ran their way to me and asked what happened. I didn’t answer them. I just plugged in my earphones, put it on full volume and act deaf.

 

Taeyeon pulled the earbuds out of my ears and asked what happened to me. I answered with a simple “Nothing.”

 

Then Tiffany came to me and held my hand, “Jessie, why are you looking like this?”, she asked caringly.

 

“Why? What’s wrong with the way I look?”, I responded in a monotonous way.

 

They all had this worried look on their faces. Seohyun even came to me, and tried to fix my polo, but I just undid it again. Although my heart is breaking because I’m making my friends feel worried again, the pain I’m in right now because of ‘guys’ is more painful and is taking over me. My conscience isn’t enough to stop me. My anger is taking over me, and I can’t control it.

 

If you can’t beat it, join it, right? So might as well go with my anger.

 

 

Again and again, they were trying to ask me about what happened or what I’m feeling right now that led me to this. And again, I answered them with a simple “Nothing.”

 

Dismissal came and they were still bugging me that I should remove my makeup and fix my clothes, but I didn’t listen to them. Even the guys are looking at me and were asking worriedly. As if that would trick me. They’re trying to reverse psychology me, when they say “Fix it” they really mean “Just let it be. Or maybe open another button.”. Psh! I just gave them the iest look I can give and continued walking.

 

We were already in the parking area, there were guys giving me the look. If they gave me these type of look hours ago, I could’ve kicked their balls, but now that I know their tactics and decided to play this game with them, I winked at them and gave a flying kiss.

 

That triggered them to approach me. Some even handed their numbers to me with a call-me gesture. A wink is an enough response to them.

 

Hae snatched away the papers I was holding, papers containing the name and number of the guys who approached me earlier. I got pissed off.

 

“Hey. Give that back! You don’t have any right to take that away from me!”, I shouted angrily.

 

He just looked at me and turned his back. Why the hell did he do that? I saw him crumple the paper and throw it.

 

I walked to his direction and picked up the paper. I saw him look at me in disbelief, but I didn’t bother, and walked back to my car. I opened the door, entered and locked myself in before they could come close to me. Hae walked back and stood in front of my car window, he was followed by the rest of the gang.

 

My phone rang, and when I checked, it was an unknown number. I answered it, my voice being loud enough for them to hear me.

 

“Oh hello, dear.”, I said in a y tone. On the other line was one guy who said he gave his number to me moments ago, but called me just to make sure that I can contact him. He said his name was Taecyeon.

 

“Oh sure. Where do you want to meet?”, my reply when he asked if I’d like to hangout with him later. I can see in my peripheral view, they way their expressions changed.

 

“Got it. See you then, dear.”, to the bar it is! I thought I would never go back to that type of place ever again for the same reason. But hell to the no!

 

I lowered the window of my car and bid farewell to them, they asked who the person who called moments ago, and  I replied, “Some guy named Taecyeon. He wanted to hang out with me to the bar later, so ciao~”, I winked at them and started my engine.

 

I saw Hae’s expression view my rear-view mirror, and his eyebrows were meeting in the center. Psh! So you think you’re the only guy who can play with me? Well, sorry, but you guys can’t play with me anymore, since I’m the one doing the playing right now.

 

I felt my phone vibrate. Expecting that it’s another random guy texting me if I want to hang out later or something, I lazily grabbed my phone and checked the message. Surprisingly, it wasn’t an unknown number, but a number of a person I loathe right now.

 

I didn’t bother checking it, but just continued driving. I want to go shopping and buy some new clothes, those type of clothes those girls who want to expose their soul wear. I want to see the boys’ jaws drop and their eyes fall when they see me.

 

I entered the usual boutique I’m fond of, and was escorted by the saleslady who’s already familiar of me. She has a great sense of fashion, so we get along quite fine.

 

“Good afternoon, Miss Jung. We have our latest collection delivered this morning, so you’ll be the first one to try them out.”, she welcomed me.

 

“I want to see your collection that has a y concept. The ier, the better.”, I told her.

 

“Mam?”, she had a confused look. “Oh. A gift for a friend, I see. What body type does she have?”, she regained her usual jolly expression.

 

“No. It’s for me. “, and again, she had a confused look.

 

You see, she’s already aware of my taste for fashion. She’s aware that I prefer the conservative ones rather than the skimpy ones.

 

She lead me to the collection of clothes, and I can see many that fits what I’m looking for. Randomly, I picked out clothes that I think could match me. And with the saleslady’s help, I got the ones that really looks perfect and would make guys drool. I need to flaunt and emphasize these curves, what’s the use of me being a model anyway?

 

 After purchasing the clothes, I went to the parlour owned by my stylist. She warmly greeted me and assisted me to the most private part of the place. “How may I beautify you today, Ms. Jung?”. I  chuckled because of her statement. I instructed her to transform me into someone who seems to be showing her dark side.  “The fiercer, the better.”, I told her. She nodded and started to do her magic.

 

After about an hour of cut here, cut there, chemical here, condition there, makeup here, makeup there.. I stood up from the chair with an impressed expression on my face. Well, what can I say? I have one of the best stylists. My blonde hair got some black highlights and was straightened even more.

 

I showed her the set of clothes I bought, and she suggested that I should wear this and that, or match this with this. I took note of her tips, and as soon as I arrived home, I changed into them.

 

Oppa was in the living room when I was about to leave. I saw him look at me with a puzzled expression, so I answered even before he was able to speak. “It’s a concept suggested by a stylist of mine that would fit me. For the auditions, you know.”, I lied. Of course I don’t want my brother to see me torn again. The way he smiled at me and what he told me this morning.. I don’t want him to feel sad again.

 

“Oh. Okay. But can you wear a cardigan on top of that or something? It kind of.. urr.”, he said while pointing at me from head to toe.

 

I giggled and raised my hand that was holding a hot pink cardigan. “Ciao!”, I waved my hand and headed towards the door.

 

The Taecyeon guy texted me that he’s going to pick me up. I said that he should wait for me at the closest convenient store, I don’t want oppa to see a guy pick me up at home, after the breakup with Jae, he got quite strict as to who I hang out with, specifically with the guys.

 

Since the convenience store is a block away from our house, I walked my way there. I saw a red car parked in front of the store, and of course it’s Taec’s. That’s a guy’s strategy to impress a girl. They think  they can impress girls with the cars they bring. Psh. A guy’s logic. Oh, please. But of course, I have to put up with this stunt, I’ll act impressed and seemingly attracted to him.

 

I smiled to him when I saw him waving at me, his back on the car’s door. With all honesty, he actually looks cool, but his fashion style kind of messes him up. If it isn’t for the monochromatic get up of his, I would actually he (0.00001%) attracted to him, but naah~

 

When I reached his car, my eyes landed on a familiar car parked across the street, the car that once enabled me to go home after experiencing a near-to-death incident. Thinking about it now, maybe the reason why I fell for him that easily is that he saved me I needed help the most. It was when I thought everything in my life would crash down on me any second. Yes, yes. That’s why.

 

I ignored it, maybe he just came by and wanted to buy something. Assuming led me to be like this again, I assumed that he had feelings for me to despite the fact that he already kissed me and acted that way when he was with me. However, since he’s already here, might as well show him how to play the game right.

 

I came closer to Taecyeon and whispered a y “Hi” near his ears, so close that it would seem like I kissed his cheeks. Of course, like most guys would react, he smiled and did the same to me. I didn’t bother react to the feeling of his breath touching my neck. To play this game, I have to endure this. I’m not giving up that easily, not now that the game has just began.

 

At least I confirmed that chivalry isn’t dead yet—he opened the car door for me and waited for me to get in before closing it and head towards the driver seat. He asked me where I want to go, but I just answered a plain, “You decide.” He smiled at me and started the engine.

 

I guess I judged him wrongly. I thought that he would bring me to a bar or a club or some place of the sort, he brought me to a restaurant. It wasn’t that fancy, but it suited my taste. It was simple yet had an elegant aura. Good choice.

 

Chivalry isn’t really dead. During the whole dinner, all he did was be a gentleman and attend to me attentively. I misjudged him, really. I feel really bad. As we ate, I started to loosen up to him and be kind of open, talking about things. But of course, I know my limits. His persona is just like the type Heechul has, except again, for the fashion taste.

 

Again, we rode his car, and headed to I don’t know where, I just let him drive without asking. The thought of him bringing me to the bar never left me—call me judgemental or what, but it stuck with me. My guess as to where he’s bring me next?

 

WRONG.

 

Why is this happening? I was expecting this night to be full of a**h*les and j*erk’s stuff. I expected myself to be hating guys more. Please do something that would make me hate you, please... I beg you....

 

We stopped at a place that looked like a beach. I was about to get out of the car, when he stopped me. Please do something bad that would make me hate you, I thought to myself.

 

“Wait. Wear this jacket first. It’s already cold outside, you might catch a cold.”, he handed to me his jacket, but I refused. I said I already have a cardigan to wear. However, he still insisted, saying that the cardigan wouldn’t be a match to the cold temperature outside. I gave him a very tiny smile and took the jacket.

 

He waited for me to wear the jacket before going out of the car and opening the door for me. Why can’t I hate you?, I whispered to myself. He looked at me with a questioning look, so I shook my head and whispered a soft “Nothing”.

 

Just like in those romantic movies, he led me to a tree with a blanket placed right underneath the shelter of the tree. I guess this was already planned beforehand. He took out another blanket that was folded beside him, and covered my legs. I unfolded it so that it would be wider and extended it to his legs.

 

We remained quiet, just listening to the sound of the waves, feeling the cold breeze and watch the moon shine upon us. It was the most comfortable feeling I have ever felt today. It’s like, it made release all the stress I had to put up with all day long. It was so comfortable that when I closed my eyes, I fell asleep.

 

I woke up when I felt some movements around me.

 

“Hi.”, he said. I completely woke up when I saw a table placed in front of us. It was a dining table with candles as it’s centrepiece. On top of the table, was a bouquet of flower. I had to pinch myself to make sure that I was already awake and wasn’t dreaming. It hurt, so yeah, I’m really awake, and everything I’m seeing right now is real.

 

He held my hand and helped me stand up. He escorted me to the seat where the flowers were placed and sat on the opposite seat.

 

“How were you able to do this?”, I asked in amazement. It’s really amazing how he was able to set this up in just a short period of time.

 

He smiled at me first then replied, “Every single detail of these, I already planned them out for so long.” Maybe he saw the confused expression on my face, so he continued, “You see, I liked you ever since we were in our first year. You may not have noticed me, but I got my eyes all set on you and only you all these years. I already planned out the first date we’re supposed to have, if ever given a chance. So yeah, basically, all these were already planned waaaay waaay back then. That’s why I was really happy when  you agreed to go out with me. I thought that you noticing me would be a close-to-impossible thing, but I was wrong.”

 

I don’t know how to react to this. Why is this happening to me? It was only this morning that I felt love, this afternoon that I got my heart torn again, and now.. this?

 

“You may not believe me right now, but if you may allow me, I would like to court you and show you that my feelings are really true. It’s alright if the feelings aren’t mutual as long as you just allow me to show you, show the world, that really.. I like you.”