Chapter 20 : The right decisions

The Closer I Get
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A week after the school's festival. Everyone backs to normal but for seniors, a few months left, they are going to leave the premises and face life after high school.

Early in the morning, Soo Jung went to school alone and somehow she felt different. When she found out about her father being fired from his work. Soo Jung got worried a lot but Soo Jung's father decided to take a part time job for the time being while searching for a new place to work with. Soo Jung decided to have a part time job too in a convenient store near to their district and her shift is at night, she also works in a small cafe on weekends.  She decided it on her own so that she can help her parents with their expenses. When she begun her part time, she felt tired every time she goes to school.

While on their first subject, Jae Hyun and Soo Jung were in the same class. The teacher was already lecturing at that time. From a far, Jae Hyun was looking at Soo Jung and she was sleeping while her book was covering her. 

When Jae Hyun looked at Soo Jung somehow he felt hurt like he wants to carry that burden for her but Soo Jung refused and said she can do it by herself since its a family matter. 

After class, Soo Jung & Jae Hyun spent break time together. Jae Hyun looked at Soo Jung and asked

Jae Hyun: "Have you getting enough sleep?"

Sooo Jung: "Uhmmm…I guess it's not the same as before but…I'm trying to balance my schedule"

Jae Hyun went closer to her and said

Jae Hyun: "Here, you can lean on my shoulder and sleep for a while." Soo Jung smiled at him and went close to Jae Hyun. Soo Jung hold Jae Hyun's arm and lean her head on his shoulder. 

Soo Jung closed her eyes with a smile on her face. Jae Hyun took a glimpse of Soo Jung and pats her head. 

The day pass and it's already evening. Soo Jung was in a convenient store, taking her shift. When there's no costumer, Soo Jung reads her reviewer since she might probably going to sleep after when she gets home. Soo Jung's mother felt worried for her daughter since she's studying and working at the same time but Soo Jung tried to put a 'don't-worry-about-me' expression. 

It's already 10:30pm when Soo Jung finished her shift. Then her phone rings and its Jae Hyun's number

Jae Hyun: "Hi! What are you doing right now?"

Soo Jung: "Going home…I just finished my shift and I got free food from the manager since he knew I'm a student."

Jae Hyun: "He?!"

Soo Jung: "Hey! don't misunderstood it,though the manager looks young, he already has a wife and a kid. So don't get jealous…"

Jae Hyun: "Jealous?! Who?" Then Jae Hyun pretended to laugh and Soo Jung found him cute and she's giggling.

When Soo Jung already reach their home.

Soo Jung: "I have to hang up now…I already reach home."

Jae Hyun: "Oh..okay…so see you tomorrow" 

Soo Jung: "Yes, see you tomorrow…"

Jae Hyun: "Good night"

Soo Jung: "Good night too" 

Then both of them hang up. While Soo Jung was walking and able to reach their home, she looked at the house next to them. It used to be Jae Hyun's home but now it has no light, it's already empty. She didn't question why he needs to move but she guess since Jae Hyun's mother came home, it's appropriate to stay with his mother.

The next day, Soo Jung was about to go to school when her mother went near to her and gave a letter.

Mrs. Jung: "I haven't given this letter to you since I knew you were already tired Its from the university you applied with and I think it has the result in it."

Soo Jung didn't want to open the letter yet and so she decided to open it later and let her parents knew if she did pass.

At Nam High School, Jae Hyun was waiting for Soo Jung. Then Ji Ho noticed him from a far and greeted him.

Ji Hi: "Good morning!" Then Ji Ho noticed Soo Jung wasn't there.

Ji Ho: "Where's Soo Jung? I thought you and her go together?"

Jae Hyun: "Yeah…my mom just got home and for now I'm staying there."

Ji Ho: "Oh…I see.."

Jae Hyun:"That's why I'm waiting for her today." 

Ji Ho: "Well….what a sweet romance you have."

Ji Ho was teasing Jae Hyun about being a good boyfriend to Soo Jung and Jae Hyun felt a bit annoyed by it so he wrap his arm to Ji Ho and said

Jae Hyun: "Hey! Someone said to me you caught going out with Su Min."

Then Ji Ho got flustered and said

Ji Ho: "Who told you that?"

Jae Hyun: "So it's true?" Then Jae Hyun looked at Ji Ho and

smirked

Ji Ho: "Don't misunderstand…I just bumped to her"

Jae Hyun: "Okay, whatever"

Ji Ho: "You!you know how to fire back. I'll see you at class."

Jae Hyun: "Hey! Ji Ho"

Ji Ho looked back and Jae Hyun said

Jae Hyun: "There's nothing wrong if you like her…you should make the most of your time now since we're almost near to graduation."

Ji Ho smirked and said: "I'll keep that on mind.Same back to you"

Then a little later, Soo Jung finally came to school and Jae Hyun greeted her with a warm smile and they both walked together in class.

Today they will be assessed and will have a counseling regarding to their future plans or course after they graduate in high school. The papers had been given to them a week before. Inside of the classroom, everyone was noisy since there's no teacher then Jae Hyun looked at where Soo Jung is and she's taking a nap. Jae Hyun took a deep breathe and walked to her seat and sat on the seat in front of her. Jae Hyun took off his jacket and cover it to Soo Jung. Jae Hyun felt worried for Soo Jung, even though she kept on saying she's fine and she's getting enough sleep, it doesn't reflect to the things she is doing in school.

When Jae Hyun looked at Soo Jung, a ray of light was reflecting to Soo Jung's face so Jae Hyun decided to cover Soo Jung by his hand. A moment later Soo Jung woke up when her phone alarmed. Soo Jung looked in front of her and it's Jae Hyun. She also felt warmth from Jae Hyun's jacket.

Soo Jung: "Oh…why are you in here?"

Soo Jung noticed Jae Hyun drifted away his hand and said

Jae Hyun: "I'm looking after you…"

Soo Jung: "Uhmm..Thanks…" 

Jae Hyun looked at his wrist watch and said

Jae Hyun: "I think we can take a break."

Soo Jung: "Okay…"

While Soo Jung and Jae Hyun were walking with their food. Soo Jung remembers about thr letter. She had it with her.

Soo Jung: "I almost forgot! I already received a letter from the university that I applied with."

Jae Hyun: "Really?!"

Soo Jung: "Let's read it together but first we have eat our food."

Soo Jung and Jae Huun spent their lunch where they first met at the school's field. After they ate their lunch. Soo Jung and Jae Hyun was about to open the letter.

Soo Jung was nervous to opem the letter that's why Jae Hyun decided to open the letter first.

Jae Hyun: "I'll read it first…is that okay?" Then Soo Jung nods her head. 

Jae Hyun unsealed the letter and open it. Soo Jung kept looking on the ground and waiting for Jae Hyun's respond.

Jae Hyun was reading carefull the letter until he reached the middle part. 

Jae Hyun: "Soo Jung-ah…"

Jae Hyun's tone became down and Soo Jung already thought of something and that is probably she didn't pass.

Soo Jung: "It's okay…I'll just try to other colleges and…"

Soo Jung's word got cut off when Jae Hyun suddenly pinch her nose and said

Jae Hyun: "What are you saying?! You passed!!!"

Soo Jung became brighten as she already heard good news from Jae Hyun theb Jae Hyun let Soo Jung read the whole letter and she can't believe she passed with a decent grade.

Soo Jung: "They already have orientation for the next 2 weeks…" 

Jae Hyun was happy for Soo Jung and she's smiling brightly as she was reading the letter. After reading the good news, Soo Jung sent a message to her parents about it. Soo Jung and Jae Huun stayed for a while and they talked about Soo Jung's dad

Jae Hyun: "How's your dad?"

Soo Jung: "For now, he has a part time job while at the same time finding a new place to work."

Jae Hyun: "So what's the name of the company where your dad works before?"

Soo Jung: "Lee Finance and Insurance Company"

Somehow that name was familiar to Jae Hyun but he doesn't bother to dig it up from Soo Jung, all he knew he was happy for her. When Jae Hyun went home, his mom was preparing for dinner, as he went to the kitchen he saw some papers on the table where he was supposed to take a sit. He read the files and it was a list of companies that his dad is holding. Then he saw Lee Finance and Insurance Company. Jae Hyun was surprised with it and then he asked his mom. 

Jae Hyun: "Mom...what's all these papers?" Even though Jae Hyun knew, he wanted to make sure his assumptions were all wrong and hoping it is.

Mrs. Ahn: "Your dad asked me a favor and that's a list of companies that he's holding right now here in the country. I guess you're dad wants to update the status of the companies."

Jae Hyun became frighten and he don't want to accept that it's because of him Soo Jung's father got fired and have no job. Jae Hyun didn't know what to do, he can't make decisions clearly at that moment. Jae Hyun closed his eyes and he felt frustrated.

4 days after, Soo Jung went to school and she noticed Jae Hyun haven't attended the class. She kept calling him and sending messages but he only replied once and he said he doesn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter