Yuri's Birthday

When Photos Come Alive

Inspired by: All the girls' SNS updates and my disappointment when Jessica didn't update her weibo for Yuri's Birthday,

Characters: Yulsic, Yulti, OT9.


“Fany ah, can you get hold of Sica?” Taeyeon asked.

“No I can’t. I think she fell asleep.” Tiffany dialed Jessica’s number again while pacing around the practice room.

“Yuri would be so disappointed.” Sunny said.

“Unnies! Yuri unnie is here! Get ready!” Yoona shouted across the room.

“Man, of all day Sica just had to sleep in early today. “

“Yah, Sooyoung ah! Stop smelling the cake and get ready!” Hyoyeon elbowed her while putting on the candles.

“okay okay! I’m just hungry.” Sooyoung sulked.

“You’ll get the cake after the surprise!”

“Unnies, I can hear footsteps coming.” Seohyun announced.

“Alright hyunnie, switch off the lights! Get ready everyone! In 3, 2, 1!”

“Sorry for being la-“

“Happy Birthday to You,

Happy Birthday to You,

 Happy Birthday dear Yuri,

Happy Birthday to You!”

“Woohoo!” The girls threw confetti while congratulating the Birthday Girl.

“Wow, thanks guys, didn’t expect it.”

“Make a wish unnie, before the candles melt.” Seohyun told her.

“I’m Genie for your wish” Sooyoung joked.

“Alright, here goes.” Yuri held her hands together and made a wish with her eyes closed. After that she blew the candles.

“Time to eat!” Sooyoung exclaimed.

---

 

“Hey Fany. “ Yuri went over to Tiffany and took a seat beside her.

“Oh hi Yul.” She gave her an eye smile while putting away her phone.

“You’re calling Sica?” Yuri asked, or more like stated.

“Haha.. Well Yuri, I think she’s too tired today.” Tiffany laughed nervously.

“I see.”

“Don’t worry though! I’m sure she’ll wish you tomorrow! Perhaps she has a surprise for you!” Tiffany tried to cheer her up.

“Haha, we’ll see. Thanks for the surprise, Fany.”

“Anything for our black pearl.” Tiffany smiled.

---

“Guys, I seriously think that Sica forgot about Yul’s birthday.” Hyoyeon said.

“How’d you know?” Taeyeon asked.

“She’s behaving like there’s nothing special about today.” Hyoyeon answered.

“Maybe she’s pretending because she has a surprise planned for Yuri?” Tiffany tried to be optimistic.

“Well Miyoung, I don’t think that’s the case. I checked Twitter and there isn’t any update about Sica posting on her Weibo account.” Sunny told her.

“Yeah, she did that on yours, Krystal’s and Hyoyeon’s birthday though.”

“I’m posting a picture on Instagram and hopefully she gets the message from our fans.” Sunny said while typing on her phone.

“Taeyeon unnie, you should do that too.” Seohyun told her.

“I’m trying to but I can’t find a picture of me and her together!” Taeyeon exclaimed.

“Hmm, I shall update my UFO profile picture then!” Tiffany followed.

 “Sica’s gonna get it this time round.” Sooyoung joined them while munching on her chips.

“I’m scared though. Yuri unnie seldom gets angry or disappointed.” Yoona took a seat beside Sooyoung.

“Finally I found it! But it only showed half of our faces.” Taeyeon sulked.

“Just post it TaeTae, hopefully dumb Sica can get the clue.” Tiffany sighed.

---

“Hey guys!” Jessica came back from the washroom.

Everyone was nudging each other, communicating with their eyes.

“What?” Jessica asked

“Taeyeon you do it.”

“What? Why me!”

“Because you’re the leader.”

“Hey! That’s not fair!”

“Just do it Taengoo.”

“Do what?” Jessica was still clueless.

“Um. Sica, is there anything going on for you today?” Taeyeon asked carefully.

“Hmm. Other than practice, nope there’s nothing else.” Jessica answered confidently.

“Jessi, you know you can tell us, Yuri’s not around anyway.” Tiffany said, hoping that Jessica really did have a surprise planned out.

“What? Why is Yuri being involved in this?” Jessica question Tiffany, not know a single thing about what’s happening today.

“Sica, are you sure there’s nothing special about today?” Hyoyeon asked her again.

“No. What’s with you guys? Can anyone tell me what’s happening?” Jessica started to get annoyed with all the questioning.

“Wow wow wow guys, I sense some royal drama coming.” Sooyoung stated.

“Alright, you guys can just do the honor in telling her. I’m gonna meet Yuri for our event later. And hopefully Sica, you have something planned to save yourself by the time we end our schedule.” Tiffany gave up and left.

“Sica, what’s the date today.”

“Erm, 5th December?” Jessica said while checking her phone.

Everyone waited for her reaction.

“Wait. 5th December?” Jessica repeated after processing what she just said.

Everyone looked at her.

“5th December?!”

Everyone nodded.

“Oh My God, 5th December! It’s freaking Walt Disney’s Birthday which means its Yuri’s Birthday too!” Jessica started to panic after realizing what’s happening.

“Yes Jessica it’s 5th December.”

“Finally you realized it.”

“Can someone be any slower than you?”

“You’re so dead.”

“Why didn’t you guys tell me earlier!”

“We thought you’ll remember because it’s YOUR GIRLFRIEND’s birthday.” Hyoyeon said.

“Yeah, Tiffany unnie called you for god knows how many times last night but you were sleeping.” Yoona said.

“We even tried hinting you by updating our SNS accounts but apparently you didn’t catch the hint.” Sunny stated.

“Oh My God I’m screwed.” Jessica buried her face in her palms.

“Well Unnie you still have approximately 8 hours before the day ends.” Seohyun tried to console her unnie.

“But she has a schedule in the evening.” Jessica said dejectedly.

“Her schedule ends as soon as she finished posing for the camera on the red carpet.” Taeyeon said while checking her scheduler.

“But what am I supposed to do? Bring her out for a date? Throw her a party? Bring her to the beach? Bring her to the amusement park? Or am I supposed to bring her back to her family and have dinner together with them instead?” Jessica asked her members frantically.

“Jessica, there’s a reason why we’re here together with you.” Sooyoung told her.

“Actually, we’ve came up with a plan for you.” Yoona said.

“WHAT?! Oh My God I love you guys to the moon and back!” Jessica hugged her.

“Save the gratitude for later, here’s what’s gonna happen.” The girls starting to execute their plan, hoping that it will help Jessica to impress Yuri.

---

“Wow Yuri, you look beautiful!” Tiffany said.

“Thanks Fany, you’re not bad yourself too.” Yuri gave her a weak smile.

“Hey come on, it’s your birthday, where’s your dazzling smile that send our fans go fainting here and there?” Tiffany approached her.

“There’s nothing special about my birthday.” Yuri stared at her reflection in the mirror.

“Well, the night is still young, and there’s still a dinner party with the members later. So cheer up!” Tiffany gave Yuri a hug.

“Thanks Fany. You never fail to cheer me up.” Yuri responded to her hug.

“Alright for now, let’s get ready and go send the paparazzi fainting with our killer smiles!” Tiffany held Yuri’s hand and they entered the venue together.

---

“Dinner?”

“Checked”

“Roses?”

“Checked”

“Piano?”

“Checked”

“Sica in beautiful dress?

“Sica in dress, checked. Not sure about being beautiful.”

“Yah!” Jessica hit Sooyoung’s arm.

“Alright alright I’m just kidding! Checked checked.”

“Okay, lastly. Present?”

“Beautifully wrapped. Checked.”

“Guys, Fany told me that they’re reaching in 5 minutes.” Taeyeon announced.

“Alright unnie, don’t worry and don’t be nervous. Follow the speech and everything will be fine. Just do what you do the best. Follow your heart. Okay?” Yoona tried to calm her down.

“Good luck unnie we’ll be waiting at the café nearby. If you need any help, call us. We’ll join you both for dinner after that.” Seohyun told her.

“Guys, let’s go. It’s show time.” Sunny ushered the rest out of private room.

---

“Oh no, Yuri. I left my wallet in the car. Can you proceed inside the restaurant first? I’ll go get my wallet and join you later. The girls are in the private room. See you!” Tiffany went back to the opposite direction.

Yuri followed what Tiffany said and went inside the private room. When she opened the door, she heard a familiar piano piece playing and then followed by the voice that she yearned to hear from for the whole day.

 

You gave me wings and made me fly 
You touched my hand I could touch the sky 
I lost my faith, you gave it back to me 
You said no star was out of reach 
You stood by me and I stood tall 
I had your love I had it all 
I'm grateful for each day you gave me 
Maybe I don't know that much 
But I know this much is true 
I was blessed because I was loved by you 

You were my strength when I was weak 
You were my voice when I couldn't speak 
You were my eyes when I couldn't see 
You saw the best there was in me 
Lifted me up when I couldn't reach 
You gave me faith coz you believed 
I'm everything I am 
Because you loved me

 

When Jessica finished playing, she walked towards Yuri and greeted her.

“Hi.”

“You looked beautiful, Sica.”

“Yuri, I’m sorry.” Jessica looked up into Yuri eyes, with tears threatening to fall from hers.

“I’m sorry for not being there during the surprise party yesterday night.” She continued.

“Princ-“

“You know what, forget about the speech. I’ll just say want I want.”

“Huh? Speech?”

“Truthfully saying, I forgot about your birthday today. I didn’t mean it though. Many things have been happening lately and we’re all busy. I just got it out of my mind accidentally. I didn’t prepare anything beforehand because I only remembered it like 8 hours ago. All these won’t happen if not for the girls. I know you’re sad and disappointed. I’m really sorry seobang.” Jessica sobbed.

“Sicababy” Yuri caressed her cheeks.

“I’m not as romantic as you, I can’t plan surprises like you always do, I’m lazy and I always sleep, I’m not creative, I have a bad memory, I can’t remember our anniversary and now I forgot about your birthday.  I know I’m not the best and I’m still lacking. I’m really sorry about today and I promise I won’t do it again. Please don’t hate me Yuri.” Jessica cried, unable to face Yuri.

“Come here princess.” Yuri pulled Jessica over and hugged her protectively.

“At first I was disappointed, disappointed that you didn’t appear, and that you forgot my birthday. But then I was awed by your performance just now. And it’s more than enough.” Yuri wiped her tears away.

“And Sicababy, I love you for the way you are. I love how you’re lazy and always wanting me to pamper you. I love how you’re always asleep and would only wake up to my voice. I love how you are so slow in your thinking and only get it after everyone else did. I love how you look so cold to everyone else but you’re my warm ice. You’re probably not the best girlfriend in the world but you’re the best that ever happened to me.” Yuri stared at Jessica in the eye while saying each and every word.

“Yuri..”

“I enjoyed your performance, thank you for this wonderful gift.” Yuri kissed her forehead.

“Oh right! Talking about gift, I almost forgot about your present.” Jessica went over to the piano and took the box placed on top of it.

“Happy Birthday, Yuri.” Jessica gave Yuri the present.

“Oh Sica, you’re still as forgetful as ever.” Yuri chuckled.

“Open it.” Jessica told her.

Yuri opened the box and found a Pandora bracelet with a fairytale book charm attached.

“It’s beautiful, thank you. But why a fairytale book?” Yuri asked while she took the bracelet out.

“The fairytale book represents my love story and you’re the happy ending to my fairytale. I'm hoping that I can fill this bracelet up full of charms together with you. You don’t like it? Maybe I can ask for an excha-” Jessica explained while helping her put on the bracelet.

“Says the one who claimed that she isn’t romantic, I love it.” Yuri cut her off and gave her chaste kiss on the lips then leaned her forehead on hers.

“I love you Sicababy.”

“Love you too seobang. And I’m sorry.”

“Quit saying sorry or I’m gonna kiss you till your lips swell.” Yuri said while looking into her eyes.

“Well then I’m sorry for saying sorry.” Jessica .

“Oh naughty Sica, you didn’t just say that. I’m gonna kis- ” Yuri leaned forward, ready to capture her lips.

“Ouch! Stop pushing!” The door opened suddenly and the other seven members came falling in.

“What were you guys doing?” Yuri asked them after pulling away from Jessica.

“Oh. Hehe. Erm. Nothing.” Sunny said and the rest were looking around nervously.

“Were you guys eavesdropping on us?” Jessica glared at her members.

“What No! Sooyoung was hungry that’s why we came and we happened to fall when we reached the door!” Taeyeon explained.

“What?! No I wasn’t! I was enjoying my food at the café but you just had to drag me here because you said you were curious!” Sooyoung pointed her fingers at Taeyeon.

“Hey! You were supposed to be on our side, you stupid!” Hyoyeon hit her on the head.

“Ouch! We wouldn’t fall if you’d stop pushing!” Sooyoung argued.

“I couldn’t hear because you were too tall!” Hyoyeon retorted. She then slapped after realizing what she said.

“Opps. Haha.” She laughed nervously.

“You guys..” Jessica closed her eyes while breathing out loudly.  The rest of the members gulped, ready to face the ice princess’s wrath.

“Thank you.” She continued and then smiled at the members.

“What?”

 “Can you repeat yourself?”

“Is the ice princess thanking us?”

“Sica unnie you’re not angry?” Seohyun asked carefully.

“Well, I can’t be angry with you guys. If it weren’t for all of you, I would not be able to do all these. So, thank you.” Jessica repeated, sincerely.

“Wow. Am I hearing things?”

“Oh My God, the princess said thank you?” Hyoyeon joked.

“Yah!” Jessica slapped her on the shoulders.

“Well guys, now that everything’s over, shall we start the party? Somebody’s hungry.” Tiffany said while eyeing Sooyoung, who was about to pound onto the table filled with delicious food any time soon.

“Hahaha, as usual from the shikshin. Alright guys, let’s eat!” Yuri laughed.

“Here’s a toast to Yuri’s 25th Birthday!” Everyone cheered.

“Happy Birthday Yuri-yah!”

“Happy Birthday Kkab!

“Happy Birthday Unnie!”

“Happy Birthday Yul!”

“Happy Birthday black kid!”

“YAH CHOI SOO YOUNG!”

Yuri chased Sooyoung around the room and everyone was laughing at the funny scene. The clock strike 12 and another day had just begun.