2014: The Last Nine

When Photos Come Alive

I've comtemplated for a while before having this chapter post up. I did mention before that I do not know if I'd be able to continue the August 5th series because of what happened, but after thinking, I thought I should partly because I would like to portray my stories as realistic as possible, and mainly because I thought it would be good to look back and reminisce on in the future. This chapter was difficult to write because I want to portray it in the most neutral way possible. So here's the long overdue update. Enjoy.


2014 started off with a ‘bang’, literally. With just three days into the New Year, Yoona’s and Sooyoung’s relationship got revealed to the public. Everyone was really shocked because we made sure that we would be discreet with our actions, and of course, the two Shikshins were extremely guilty when the photos were printed all over the headlines in every newspapers and magazines, topping all the search engines. Luckily, the response from the public was not as bad as we thought they would be. The fans on the other hand, had divided opinions. Some were happy that we were finally dating, while others took a while longer to let the news sink in. But life still went on.

Our supposedly “World Tour” continued from June last year, and we went from Seoul, Taiwan, Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok, and ended off at Macau. All within Asia, and of course, the girls were not pleased with it, but we could not complain, having the rest of the year jam packed with schedule, it did not allow us to go a little further off Asia.

But of course, we were prepared to meet fans worldwide through another way - the usual way.

Everything was basically done – the recording, the music video, the album jacket shooting, and the concept photos. All there was left is to get on the stage, and meet our fans with another new image.  But, just when we thought there’s nothing worse with having Yoona’s and Sooyoung’s relationships revealed, the music video which was set to release in a few days’ time got corrupted. No one knows how and why but we were just informed that we had to re-film everything.

“What the heck is this?! We spent nearing three days filming it, and everything’s just gone? How? Who did it?” Hyoyeon was not pleased at all.

“Unnie, language please.” Seohyun reminded her.

“How long would it take for us to re-film everything? We would not be able to make it in time for the comeback.” Sooyoung was as annoyed.

“Calm down kids, everyone is as pissed. But there’s nothing we can do since the file is gone. Let’s just cooperate with them and get this over and done with fast so that there won’t be much delay.” I said while scanning the girls that were all gathered around the living room. Then I realised,

“Where’s Tiffany?”

And just when I mentioned, the said figure came through the front door.

“Where did you go?”

“To the higher-ups. Needed to talk things out with them.”

“Way to go Manager Hwang! That’s the way!”

“Did you manage to kick KYM out yet?”

“What did they say about the music video, do we really have to re-film everything?”

Everyone asked the moment Tiffany stepped into the living room.

“Are you guys gonna let me talk or what?” Tiffany rolled her eyes while taking a sit next to me. I passed her a bottle of water, before she continued,

“I was really pissed when I heard of the news because how could they just ask us to re-film everything? It’s not as easy as it seems. So I just went straight to SM the moment I received the text from manager oppa and told them that how could they expect us to spend another three more days to film, and another god knows how long for the team to edit, then another unknown days which could turn into weeks for the higher-ups to approve, before we can officially release our music video. Besides, delaying the music video would also mean delaying the album release and our comeback stage as well. What the hell were they thinking?!” Tiffany took a breath after explaining everything.

“Fany, appreciate what you did for the group but let’s do things together next time. Or at least inform us first before leaving.”

“Yeah we can go kick that old man’s face together. Such an as-“

“Unnie!”

“Alright guys, I believe Fany still have something to say.” I cut them off before they got even louder and went off topic.

“So what did they say Fany unnie?” Yoona asked.

“They say they would try to fix things up while they can, and they we would just have to re-film those important parts.”

“When would filming start then?”

“Tomorrow.” Tiffany sighed.

“So.. which part was corrupted?” Yuri asked and Tiffany got dejected.

“Oh no, don’t tell me..”

“The carpark scene?” Tiffany then nodded while her shoulders sank.

Everyone became silent for a moment, not knowing what to say. Everyone knew how hard Tiffany worked for this album, helping us with our outfit collaborations, and we were all really proud of her when we saw the outcome. But now, her work just got to waste.

Sensing the atmosphere, I decided to speak up.

“It’s alright Fany, there are still other chances. You can do our outfits for Taetiseo comeback at the later part of the year.”

“Yeah, besides, we’ve already appointed you as our fashion coordinator or whatever they called it. There are still many comebacks to come.”

“Thanks guys.” Tiffany gave a small smile.

“Well, I guess we’ll just have to rest early and get ready for tomorrow.”

So in the end, we did really re-film the music video, and the sequence for our new single release were all jumble up, which in some way affected our digital sales. But the fans were still as supportive.

‘Mr Mr’ was not really satisfying for us because of all the hiccups and the short promotion, but it was enjoyable while it lasted. The fans were still as loving, or not, even more loving, allowing our Music Video to be the first video to reach 15 million views on Youtube in 2014.

---

Then come our annual Japan Tour. Needless to say, it was completed successfully, having the pink ocean being spread across the different precincts of Japan. Despite being told that Hallyu is slowly dying down in Japan, Sones were still very supportive, singing along to all our songs, cheering loudly to our names, and waving their pink light sticks proudly.

But along the way, another three members’ relationships got released. That made it five members in a short span of six months. Tiffany’s relationship with Nickhun was overall well received, similar to Yoona and Sooyoung. Hyoyeon’s case was a little more complicated, having involve with the police, but all was well when the company explained to the public that the both of them had already broke up. But the same could not be said to my relationship with Baekhyun.

“Taeng.. are you alright?” Sunny asked me while we were all taking a break in the practice room. Slowly, everyone else started to gather around me. Knowing how these kids were worried, I gave them a small smile, trying to hold in my tears.

“Taetae, it’s okay to cry. It’d make you feel better.” Tiffany gave me a pat and the next thing I know, I was sobbing hard in her arms.

Realising that I’ve make the atmosphere awkward, I quickly wiped my tears away and apologized to the rest.

“There’s nothing to be sorry about for falling in love, Taeyeon.” Sooyoung gave me a warm smile.

“Yeah. Besides, you both make a cute couple. Taengkoong right? Even the name is cute.” Yuri added.

“Unnie, remember what you told me when my dating news got released?” Yoona was next.

“You said love can overcome all obstacles.” She continued.

“Yeah, didn’t you listen to Taylor Swift?” Hyoyeon was once again, being random. She then suddenly stood up while everyone else was looking at here.

Clearing for a moment, she starting dancing wildly while singing, “And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate~ Baby, I’m just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake, shake~ Shake it off! Shake it off!”

Everyone burst out laughing at her unchanging dorky antics. We were still Nine, then.

---

Second part of 2014 started off with us releasing an album compilation of our best Japanese release, ‘The Best’, which included a few new songs like ‘Chain Reaction’, ‘Show Girls’, ‘Indestructible’, and ‘Divine’, which was everyone’s favourite. Everyone became busy with their solo activities. Sooyoung filmed a new drama, Soon DJ made a comeback after six years, Jessica went on a variety show with Krystal, Yoona was preparing to film in China, and Taetiseo was preparing for our comeback as well.

Amidst the individual activities came a really good news. It was like a present to us, after all the bad happenings during the first part of the year, assuring as that things would better from then on - it was like a rainbow after the storm.

 In order to celebrate our fourth year debut in Japan, we were finally, gifted with a Tokyo Dome tour. A dream that we all had but never once dared to dream too much on, a dream we shared since our debut, it was our dream and it is finally coming true.

“Oh My God. Pinch me please.” Hearing Sooyoung’s request, Hyoyeon did as she were told.

“Ouch! It’s hurts! It really hurts!” Sooyoung shook Hyoyeon back and forth.

“I know, I know! I’m getting dizzy too!” Hyoyeon tried to remove herself from Sooyoung’s grip.

“How big is the Tokyo Dome?” Yuri asked.

“It can seat 55,000 audiences, unnie.” Seohyun replied after searching it up on the net.

“55,000. How many people would there be?” Yuri continued

“It’s about the size of the World Cup Stadium, unnie.”

“Which means, it’s gonna be like SMTOWN and Dream Concert, but everywhere would be covered in pink?”

“Yes unnie.”

“Oh Mai Gawd.”

Ever since the day that we were told about Tokyo Dome, everyone was busy working hard, preparing for the dream stage – our very own dream concert. Without realizing, it was our seventh anniversary. We had a small fan party with our fans, talking about everything like best friends, shedding tears from crying and laughing.  Despite all the incidents that happened, all the relationships that got revealed, all the heartaches and heartbreaks we caused them, at the end of the day, they were still here, waving their pastel rose pink light sticks and balloons, shouting for our names. We were more than thankful, and we promised that there would be no more heartbreak from then on. But little did we know, promises were meant to be broken.   

---

30th September 2014, we were all preparing for our first stop of the China Fan Meeting Tour in Shen Zhen. Everyone was solemnly preparing. Nobody said a word. But we all had the same thought in mind – Why? After all these while, after all the laughters, tears, sweats, dreams, and achievements we shared together, because of this, we were simply thrown away as ‘the other 8’. Why?

Paparazzi were all present as expected, waiting for us while we make our appearance at Incheon Airport. The internet was a mess, fans reactions were all over, we were making headlines, topping search engines, and phones were ringing here and there. But we could not do much. We knew that things would happen sooner or later when Jessica was slowly approaching her other dream – she had always wanted to come up with her own brand of design.

Exactly when, everyone was not sure, but everything happened so fast, too fast in fact. While everyone started off congratulating and supporting Jessica with her new business, we did not expect things to turn out like this. Who would have thought so when all nine of us had clearly re-signed our contracts with the company? It was as if fate was playing tricks on us.  And this ending was probably the least expected - We have once mentioned our wish to end things beautifully but this was far from beautiful. This was nasty. And we were expected to carry on with our official schedules immediately even after the news broke out.

We had been through a roller coaster ride of emotions for three months – shock, anger, sadness, disappointment, guilt. It was hard for everyone, to move on and pretend that things were fine, especially when we had to carry on with the Shen Zhen fan meeting on the morning the news broke out. Everyone had their own way of expressing their feelings, some members shed tears and some kept quiet.

---

9th December 2014.  The sight in front of us was so beautiful and it felt surreal. We managed to fill the beautiful Dome with 50,000 light sticks – the biggest pink ocean thus far. Performing our popular hits and having fun usually like we do, three hours flew past fast and we were already at our last few songs. Through this concert, we’ve sung our new songs live including 'Indestructible' and 'Divine', which received great responses. The fans were all very enthusiastic and cheering passionately as ever. It was as if 30th September didn’t happen. It was as just like our usual concert on a bigger stage - besides, we’ve done concerts without full attendance of members before.

But it was not until this song, the song that started our journey, the song that brought upon our existence to the world - Into The New World, it wasn’t until now that reality finally hit us.

Jessica was not part of us anymore. Nine is not our number anymore. We used to always say, “Girls Generation is not until Nine of us are on stage together”. The irony of how the last day of the Ninth month of 2014 ended our ‘Forever Nine’.

Every one of us sang Our song fully with our hearts’ content. We held hands and cried together while looking at each other. The last time we formed a circle was during our first concert, Into The New World, when we sang ‘Complete’. Today, we stand here together, in a smaller circle that was incomplete, but would soon to be the moment after the concert end.

After today, another new chapter would begin. After today, we will move on as Eight into another new world because, Right Now, From Now On, and Forever, it will still be Girls’ Generation.