2011: Ups and Downs

When Photos Come Alive

Our amazing feat continued as the New Year began. We obtained the Artist of the Year, Bongsang Award, Popularity Award, and Hallyu Award.  Not only so, we managed to release yet another Japanese Single, ‘Mr Taxi’, which is our first and brand new original Japanese song. Even though we were considered new artists in the Japan industry, due to the great and loving support from our fans, we managed to clinch three awards at the VMAJ, which was quite amazing, considering our debut in Japan for less than a year.

Through the mid-year, we managed to release our first-ever Japanese full length album after debut. With the album, we broke the sales record of 500,000 copies only a month after released. We created another record, becoming the first Korean Girl Group to be able to achieve it. Good things did not stop for us though. A Japan Arena Tour was announced and there were a total of 22 touring cities.

Touring 22 cities wasn’t easy at all. Many of us fell sick, especially Sunny, who got pulled out of the concert and sent to the hospital. We were all worried for her then, but there were thousands of audience that came to see us and we could not disappoint them.  When Sunny came back to us nearing the end of the concert, we were all relieved knowing that our energizer was feeling better. All of us went to her and engulfed her in a hug and the moment she saw us, she broke down into tears, but we were there for her to help her wipe her tears. And we managed to finish the concert smoothly.

However, that was not all. There were quarrels and disagreements between us too, and the quarrel between Tiffany and I was the most serious.

---

“Aish, I think I’m having indigestions problem again.” I said to no one in particular.

It always happened to me when I go overseas. Guess I’m still not used to the food.

However, Tiffany heard me, and replied annoyingly “Yah, stop saying about having indigestion, you’re influencing me too!”

I was shocked, and being the sensitive me, I accidentally raised my voice at her. “YAH! What are you talking about!”

And that, of course escalated the whole conversation.

“Alright fine! I’m sorry!” Tiffany answered back while raising her voice too.

I didn’t know what go over me I was annoyed by Tiffany’s behavior and thus I decided to ignore her.

When we reached the hotel, the both of us just went back to our respective rooms, not forgetting to vent our anger on the doors.

I felt like I was wrongly accused. I did nothing wrong and I was just saying what I was feeling to no one in particular. I was thinking about it and I felt more frustrated that I wanted to cancel our duet stage for our concert the next day. So, I decided to find manager oppa to talk about it.

When manager oppa learnt about the situation, he asked Tiffany and I to meet him at his room and we did. But the moment we saw each other, the both of us broke down and cried. We talked it out and ended the situation with a hug.

Thinking back of the situation, it was very silly of us.  But like what Tiffany said, “We quarreled because emotions are involved.” And sometimes, it was those quarrels that brought us even closer together and we are always thankful for it.

---

Shortly after out Japan Arena Tour, our Second Asia Tour was announced. It wasn’t really hard for us as the line-up for the concert was similar to our Japan Arena Tour. We started off with Seoul and went to other countries in Asia. Amidst our Second Asia Tour, we were also preparing for our Korean comeback after a year of break. This time, we decided to try something new. Our title track would be released in two versions, the Korean version, and the English version. When we heard about it, Tiffany and Jessica, our dear American members, were the most excited ones as it would also mean that we would be entering the American market. Who wouldn’t be excited when their finally releasing an album in their home country.

Everything was going as planned until Sooyoung got into an accident. From our debut till now, none of the members had gotten into serious accidents before. So, when we heard of the news, we were shocked because it was so sudden and we didn’t know what to react. We were told that Sooyoung injured her back, and would need to stop all activities on hand so as to speed up her recovery.

“Sooyoung!”

“Unnie!”

“Yah, shikshin!”

“Soo! Are you okay?”

“Yah yah, calm down I’m still alive.” Sooyoung joked.

“What happened, Sooyoung? How did you get into an accident?” Tiffany asked worriedly.

“I wasn’t sure, I think the road was slippery and the car opposite us skidded and banged into us. The impact was kinda strong, so I injured my back. But I’m fine now! The doctor said I just need a rest!” Sooyoung explained.

“But unnie, this means that you won’t be able to join us for the upcoming Taiwan concert.” Yoona pouted.

“It fine guys, carry on the concert! There are thousands of fans waiting for us, and since I won’t be able to join you guys, you guys should do even better to fill up my spot so that the fans won’t be disappointed.” Sooyoung told the rest.

“Yeah guys, it’s okay. I’m sure Soo will recover fast and by the time we finish our concert, she’ll be back standing with us on the stage.” I tried to console the rest of the girls.

“What about our comeback?” Jessica asked.

“Well, you girls can carry on as-“

“No. We’ll wait for you.” Yuri cut her off.

“But I don’t know how long I’ll take! What if I’ll only recover next year?” Sooyoung reasoned.

“Have some faith in yourself Soo, We’ll pray for you.” Tiffany told her.

“We’re definitely not gonna have our comeback without you. So we’ll wait. That’s final.” I said.

“Well the leader has spoken, we’ll listen.” Hyoyeon said and everyone agreed by nodding their heads.

---

We carried on with the concerts as discussed but decided to push our comeback till Sooyoung recovered. I told the company and luckily they were fine with it.

Sooyoung managed to recover within a month and she got the doctor’s permission to carry on our activities. We were preparing for our first come back stage after a year and it was like debut all over again.

“Unnie.” Seohyun approached me.

“Yes, hyunnie?”

“I’m worried.”

“Why?” I shifted my attention to her.

“We were away for a year. Do you think we’ll still receive the same about of popularity like before?” She asked.

I, myself, was not sure of it too. But I needed to assure her so that she would have the confidence for our stage later.

“Of course! We’re Girls’ Generation.” I joked and had my ahjumma laugh.

Within hours after the release of our new album ‘The Boy’, we managed to achieve an all-kill status on all major music charts. Not only so, Our title track, ‘The Boys’, that was also released in English version, sold over 21,000 copies on iTunes, becoming one of the best-selling K-pop songs in the states. Within 12 days, we sold nearing 300,000 copies in Korea. But, the numbers did not stop. It was still increasing.

Other than that, we also released our repackaged version of the first Japanese album nearing the end of the year and yet created another record, being the first ever Korean artiste to remain Top 10 on the Oricon chart for 17 weeks straight.

All the love that we received did not end here. We were awarded yet another Daesang Award at the Golden Disk Awards. This year, we may had encountered a lot of mishaps, having members falling sick one after another during our Arena Tour, having major quarrels, and even getting into an accident. But, because of the unconditional love and support from our fans, we made it again.